HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Haggerty: Jacobs should be held responsible

Old
11-28-2012, 01:51 PM
moosehead81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Yet according to anecdotal reports thats exactly what he did do moose, and Im not in the least bit surprised. The size of your bank account though important enough doesnt trump Length of Tenure, years of building a powerbase, influence. A guy like Jacobs' would tell any new kid on the block to zip it, this is how it works, Im in charge around here, be it Thompson or whomever else. He appears to be engaged a game of playing guys like Snider, Lieweke, Karmanos, Dolan, Tennebaum & Burke out of Toronto, Chicago & Detroit etc against the middle and bottom, ignoring altogether the Vancouvers', Montreal's & San Jose's of the world. Owners & Governor designates afraid to rock the boat for fear of being left off of special committee's, and then when appointed told to take a back seat, keep quiet, enjoy the scenery. Heres a colouring book. Your just here for window dressing. Very strange dynamic going on.
You're probably right and, if so, it's likely one of many reasons why this is currently so screwed up. Typical bully tactics shouldn't scare most guys on the BoG but they live in a world we can only fantasize about so who knows?

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:56 PM
sunnyvale420

What does the CEO of the board of goveners do? And why/how did he aquire this position? Are there treasurers and other board type heirchy? Why should certain owners have more say? Especially ones who just recently have a good team

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:57 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Do you know how that vote is handled, and if anyone can run or if that group is also vetted somehow?
NHL Constitution seems to say that any Governor is eligible--no restrictions are mentioned. How is the vote run? No idea, my educated guess is they follow a system like Roberts Rules of Order, but that's a complete guess.

The Constitution does say that an officer can be removed mid-term by a 2/3rd vote of the governors.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Orrthebest

Here we have an example of why an owner can not set budgets and stick to them. If you do you become the cheap bogyman.

Orrthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:05 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
the guy is bad for hockey. hell he is bad for sports period. guys like this should never own sports franchises.
The guy is not only bad for the NHL, he's bad for the entire planet.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:07 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
What does the CEO of the board of goveners do? And why/how did he aquire this position? Are there treasurers and other board type heirchy? Why should certain owners have more say? Especially ones who just recently have a good team
Good luck getting answers to these question. I bet the BOG themselves couldn't answer your questions logically.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:12 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Sad, what a disgusting individual.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Fortunately and unfortunately Boston/New England has the very best and the very worst when it comes to ownership.

Bob Kraft is the epitome of class and understands what an important piece of the community a professional team represents. He's a smart businessman but somehow doesn't feel the need to squeeze every last nickel out of the equation. When labor disputes arise in the NFL, expect Bob Kraft to be a part of the solution not the problem. Kraft appears to be universally liked and respected by the Patriot players. The fans certainly like him.

Jeremy Jacobs? The polar opposite of Bob Kraft in just about every imaginable way.
Yep... Probably wouldn't have been an NFL season, or at least a shortened one without Kraft. Without Jacobs.... Don't worry, no Bruins fans like him either. I don't know if any fan who actually knows his does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
I thought everybody knew this about him, why do you think the Bruins got away with so much on their run to the cup? He’s essentially Bettman’s boss.
This again? Still?

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Gberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I feel that this guy really deserves his own thread.

I have to admit, I was only vaguely familiar with him before the lockout - and only really knew about him in terms of NHL labour relations.

Reading some of the posts on this board, it seems like over the years he's screwed his own team on a number of occasions - although, I assume he's not as bad as Ballard - or even Wirtz were.

Today, Joe Haggerty discusses his role in the lockout (as well as the one in 04/05):

Haggerty: Jacobs should be held responsible

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-b...91&feedID=3352

I thought this was charming:
Wow.. after reading that... I knew he was scum.. but... just ridiculous.

Everyone should be calling him Lord Jacobs, Master Jacobs, all the fans are his peasants.

Gberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
The weird thing about Jacobs is that he did essentially do everything the "right way" in regards to his handling of the Bruins in a financial sense.

He privately financed and built his own arena.

Set up an internal salary cap to ensure his team made money every year

However, running a pro sports team like that does not ensure that you win games. Its no coincidence that the stretch between the 1995 and 2004 lockout was one of the worst for the Bruins. Salarys went out of control, he didn't bite, his team sucked, but at the same time the NHL went broke, and it was Jacobs who fixed it in 2004.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Iggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
Isn't Jacobs is the longest serving NHL owner ? he's owner the Bruins forever.

Seniority rules in the NHL.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy77 View Post
isn't jacobs is the longest serving nhl owner ? He's owner the bruins forever.

Seniority rules in the nhl.
1974 iirc

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
Isn't Jacobs is the longest serving NHL owner ? he's owner the Bruins forever.

Seniority rules in the NHL.
I believe Snider has been part of the Flyers' ownership group since 1967.

11-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
The weird thing about Jacobs is that he did essentially do everything the "right way" in regards to his handling of the Bruins in a financial sense.

He privately financed and built his own arena.

Set up an internal salary cap to ensure his team made money every year

However, running a pro sports team like that does not ensure that you win games. Its no coincidence that the stretch between the 1995 and 2004 lockout was one of the worst for the Bruins. Salarys went out of control, he didn't bite, his team sucked, but at the same time the NHL went broke, and it was Jacobs who fixed it in 2004.

Is it really all that or did their draft and development record have anything to do with it?

You can just easily point to the teams that spent like crazy who didn't achieve much either (NY Rangers, for example).

I applaud him for his fiscal responsibility however.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:52 PM
patty59

gary lawless ‏@garylawless
Bill Daly and a team source tell me Jacobs-Jets rep incident never happened #NHLJets #bn

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Ernie

This is exactly the type of executive that Fehr is trying to remove from the game.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Is it really all that or did their draft and development record have anything to do with it?... You can just easily point to the teams that spent like crazy who didn't achieve much either (NY Rangers, for example).... I applaud him for his fiscal responsibility however.
Indeed. Though TD Garden was built with private funding 20yrs ago, he received millions in tax breaks having promised to build mixed commercial/retail and residential etc in the area, tax benefits he still takes advantages of, nary a spade nor a trowel having ever hit the dirt.

In the 10yr period leading up the Bruins Stanley Cup in 2011 (he spent to the Cap I believe in the 2yr run-up), its been estimated that he made app $50M on the team while franchise valuation of course increased exponentially; another $150M off the building itself which consistently ranks in the top tiers across the continent.

Delaware North has the Concessions Contracts with more than just a few arenas, corporately headquarter'd in Buffalo, the vast majority of his donations & munificence being expended in NY State rather than New England. Indeed, the Boston Bruins Charity, headed up by his son Charlie finds itself reliant on raffles & whatnot in order to raise funds. Frankly, it leaves one to wonder just how committed he's ever really been to the great city & people of Boston, who IMO deserve the best of the best (Irish dontchaknow)...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Hullois

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Bill Daly and a team source tell me Jacobs-Jets rep incident never happened #NHLJets #bn

LOL.... I can't believe they are denying... that was not expected...

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:01 PM
MatthewT

Brutal, what a bully

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:02 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I don't believe that.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Hullois

Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs
Duly noted. I stand by my reporting RT @garylawless Bill Daly and a team source tell me Jacobs-Jets rep incident never happened #NHLJets #bn

Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype
This morning, an NHL marketer said the league is "known for lying". Something to remember in any league denials of any news report.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:32 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
I don't believe that.
No, neither do I.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Ted Wyman ‏@Ted_Wyman
Am now told by two sources the incident between Jeremy Jacobs and #NHLJets never happened #NHLPA #CBA

Rick Ralph ‏@RickRalphTSN
#NHLJets say the "incident" between Jeremy Jacobs and a Jets alternate governor did not take place.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Not much makes me a fan of Jacobs, but his jacobsedness does not excuse any of the other 28 owner or make them seem the good guy. At a minimum they facilitate his views and quite a few of them must support him.

Every single one of them is responsible, Jacobs is just the stereotypical villain who others can hide behind.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Why does the league bother giving out the denials? When the Snider report came out, with Jacobs name, that almost immediately was followed be a denial, and the reporter issuing a statement that he stood by his report. Same thing here.

In other words, the denials will fall on deaf ears but the NHL actually showing they care to issue said denial is odd. Maybe they should ignore it.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote