HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

CFL thread - Toronto v. Hamilton, East Final.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2012, 07:18 PM
  #451
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
More than 1 in 3 people tuned in at some point. That's just great to hear.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:41 PM
  #452
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
We have a rich heritage, and ignoring the many revisions that have been made throughout the past few decades, the anthem becomes even more beautiful and pristine. In the late 2000s, some politicians wanted "in all thy sons command" to become "in all of us command." These continual revisions aren't necessary. The anthem was greatest in its original form and should be sung that way. Burton's version at least retains some of the glory of the original anthem.
Yes we do and it is a shame more of us don't know more about it.

Myself included. I could probably give you a more detailed account of ancient Rome or Egypt then I could of the first 100 years of this nation.

I try to learn what I can when I can but we need to change the way history is taught in this country.

And Go to your local War Museum everyone. These people fought and died so we could sit on our Duffs and argue hockey on a computer in peace. It is a great place to start learning about our rich tradition.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:31 PM
  #453
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!
 
BayStBullies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: @BayStBullies
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
You are correct in your sentiments but I dont understand why the Leafs should be able to provide an inferior product at the most expensive prices in the league and not be impacted negatively while in all other sports thats exactly what happens. I just dont get it. Personally, I only started following the Argos in the Eastern final...great game vs. the Als and another standout performance in the final. Way more entertaining than anything the Leafs have provided since Mats Sundin skated with Gary Roberts and Alex Mogilny. Way more.
Let me try to assist you in trying to understand the difference between a quality entertainment product versus the statistical value of a product.

When New Jersey won the cup; they did not provide a quality entertainment product; by employing the trap. They did win the cup; however.

Quality of product =/= Statistical value

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:25 AM
  #454
Winreims
Registered User
 
Winreims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the beat View Post
There are far more Bills fans in Toronto than Argos fans,
Prove it. No one I know in this city likes the Bills.

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:31 AM
  #455
Winreims
Registered User
 
Winreims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Major problem with the Argos is the Dome. I love the Skydome, but 25-26 thousand people in that dome doesn't look like a large crowd. Now in Hamilton, I think their stadium seated about 28,000. They rarely sell out, and yet no one mentions how pathetic their numbers are because of how the stadium is built. We need a stadium that seats way less than 50,000, because in Toronto you aren't going to get 40-50,000 people showing up on a Thursday night to see a CFL game.

Also, the Argos for the past five seasons (outside of this year and a decent showing in 2010) haven't been good at all. A lot of fans left after the disgusting 2008/2009 seasons in which the team went 7-29-0. Argos averaged close to 30,000 fans per reg. season game in 2007, and in 2011 that number went to near 20,000 fans per game. Putting a winning product on the field will attract fans. Hopefully this Grey Cup win will do that.

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:35 AM
  #456
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
Prove it. No one I know in this city likes the Bills.
Funny you say that.

I haven't seen a Bills fan since Flutie played for them.

I know Green Bay Fans, Dallas fans, Lots of PIt and Pats fans (lets hop on the band wagon)

I like the Ravens and the 49ers. I grew up with Montana and Rice so sue me.

But BIlls fans are far and few between.

YEt When it comes to the CFL, I don't know anybody who doesn't cheer for the Argos except a couple of Hamilton fans.

I think if a survey were taken the diversity of NFL fans would make it impossible to out number the number of people in this region who would cheer for the Argos.

BOttom line is Toronto is the home town and Buffalo is not.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:37 AM
  #457
Winreims
Registered User
 
Winreims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Funny you say that.

I haven't seen a Bills fan since Flutie played for them.

I know Green Bay Fans, Dallas fans, Lots of PIt and Pats fans (lets hop on the band wagon)

I like the Ravens and the 49ers. I grew up with Montana and Rice so sue me.

But BIlls fans are far and few between.

YEt When it comes to the CFL, I don't know anybody who doesn't cheer for the Argos except a couple of Hamilton fans.

I think if a survey were taken the diversity of NFL fans would make it impossible to out number the number of people in this region who would cheer for the Argos.

BOttom line is Toronto is the home town and Buffalo is not.
Agreed! I know lots of Steelers/Patriots fans in Toronto, but they ALSO root for the Argos. Contrary to popular belief, Torontonians have the ability to love the CFL and enjoy an NFL game every now and then

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:40 AM
  #458
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
Major problem with the Argos is the Dome. I love the Skydome, but 25-26 thousand people in that dome doesn't look like a large crowd. Now in Hamilton, I think their stadium seated about 28,000. They rarely sell out, and yet no one mentions how pathetic their numbers are because of how the stadium is built. We need a stadium that seats way less than 50,000, because in Toronto you aren't going to get 40-50,000 people showing up on a Thursday night to see a CFL game.

Also, the Argos for the past five seasons (outside of this year and a decent showing in 2010) haven't been good at all. A lot of fans left after the disgusting 2008/2009 seasons in which the team went 7-29-0. Argos averaged close to 30,000 fans per reg. season game in 2007, and in 2011 that number went to near 20,000 fans per game. Putting a winning product on the field will attract fans. Hopefully this Grey Cup win will do that.
Was a a Jays game with 20K+ in the stands and it looked sad.

A solid 30K stadium would be nice. Although we did sell the Dome out for the big game. 20K extra tickets must have meant millions of dollars to the Argos and the League.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 01:00 AM
  #459
Winreims
Registered User
 
Winreims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Was a a Jays game with 20K+ in the stands and it looked sad.

A solid 30K stadium would be nice. Although we did sell the Dome out for the big game. 20K extra tickets must have meant millions of dollars to the Argos and the League.
Maybe do what the Montreal Alouettes do then. Have regular season games in a smaller facility and then have home playoff games at the large dome (if that's possible).

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:57 AM
  #460
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
Let me try to assist you in trying to understand the difference between a quality entertainment product versus the statistical value of a product.

When New Jersey won the cup; they did not provide a quality entertainment product; by employing the trap. They did win the cup; however.

Quality of product =/= Statistical value
haahaha...condescending and comical...so you are saying that the NJ Devils cup wins was not entertaining but the Leafs horrific seasons in the last decade or so were? Yeah okay...no bias or BS in your sentiments. But thanks for "explaining" your wonderful formula to me. I feel so much more enlightened.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:00 PM
  #461
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED
 
Giuseppe Sallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakville, Ontario.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 500
Vaswani wrote an article on how toronto was 'disrespectful' towards the Biebs. Couldn't stop laughing.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:45 PM
  #462
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
Vaswani wrote an article on how toronto was 'disrespectful' towards the Biebs. Couldn't stop laughing.
Ridiculous. He was clearly the wrong performer for that demographic.

In fact, I watched Conan O'Brien recently and as soon as Conan mentioned Bieber's name, the entire audience booed the saying of his name.

Outside of teen girls, he is not respected and liked very much at all.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:20 PM
  #463
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Ridiculous. He was clearly the wrong performer for that demographic.

In fact, I watched Conan O'Brien recently and as soon as Conan mentioned Bieber's name, the entire audience booed the saying of his name.

Outside of teen girls, he is not respected and liked very much at all.
I don't know how people can ***** about the CFL getting the biggest names in entertainment to do the half time show. I work with a lady who doesn't give a fiddlers **** about sports but she tuned into see the show.

Bottom line is the CFL put together ANOTHER lineup that the NFL would love to steal for the Superbowl.

Cry all you want but the only singer who has recently had a bigger hit than Beiber and Carly Rae is PSY.

The CFL exposed itself to a different demographic with the show. The half time show is mainly for the TV audience anyway. Most of the fans at the stadium are hitting the can and getting a refill.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:32 PM
  #464
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!
 
WhatThePuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Location: Location
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
I don't know how people can ***** about the CFL getting the biggest names in entertainment to do the half time show. I work with a lady who doesn't give a fiddlers **** about sports but she tuned into see the show.

Bottom line is the CFL put together ANOTHER lineup that the NFL would love to steal for the Superbowl.

Cry all you want but the only singer who has recently had a bigger hit than Beiber and Carly Rae is PSY.

The CFL exposed itself to a different demographic with the show. The half time show is mainly for the TV audience anyway. Most of the fans at the stadium are hitting the can and getting a refill.
Yeah,I'm sure the NFL is screaming with envy about the CFL halftime show.....I guess getting 106 million viewers for the latest Super Bowl isn't cutting it.

WhatThePuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:59 PM
  #465
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
I don't know how people can ***** about the CFL getting the biggest names in entertainment to do the half time show. I work with a lady who doesn't give a fiddlers **** about sports but she tuned into see the show.

Bottom line is the CFL put together ANOTHER lineup that the NFL would love to steal for the Superbowl.

Cry all you want but the only singer who has recently had a bigger hit than Beiber and Carly Rae is PSY.

The CFL exposed itself to a different demographic with the show. The half time show is mainly for the TV audience anyway. Most of the fans at the stadium are hitting the can and getting a refill.
I was just pointing out why he got booed. His act won't work well with football fans.

In fact, notice how the majority of acts for the Superbowl halftime show are older, more establish acts that appeal to football fans? (Madonna, The Who, Springsteen, ETC).

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:12 PM
  #466
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePuck View Post
Yeah,I'm sure the NFL is screaming with envy about the CFL halftime show.....I guess getting 106 million viewers for the latest Super Bowl isn't cutting it.
Are you talknig abou the Black Eyed PeasSuperbowl show, where they copied the CFL?


Or are you talking about the NickleBack Thanksgiving show, where they copied the CFL?


Last edited by charliolemieux: 11-28-2012 at 10:18 PM.
charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:24 PM
  #467
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I was just pointing out why he got booed. His act won't work well with football fans.

In fact, notice how the majority of acts for the Superbowl halftime show are older, more establish acts that appeal to football fans? (Madonna, The Who, Springsteen, ETC).
Madonna had Nikki MInaj and MIA. Other acts included LMFAO and Cee Lo Green.

2012 was BEP, Usher and Slash.

Their going younger.

2013 line up:Beyoncé, Jay-Z, PSY, Kanye West

Going old has gotten old.

Can't wait to see them Gangnam style it up in Louisiana.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:02 AM
  #468
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,977
vCash: 500
This just my opinion but when people who don't live in Toronto look at attendance they see the ACC sold out for Leaf games and assume well they should be selling out Argos games and Jays games and Raptors games.

As everyone knows the Leafs are everything in this city, they obviously don't have to be good to sell out. When you look at the rest of our sports teams...we have been crap for so long that IMO affected the way Torontonians look at sports. No longer is it a way to go and enjoy yourself, there's a huge negative cloud over all our teams.

Although the Argos have won our last 2 championships, you just aren't going to get 50,000 people going to a regular season game. No team in Canada does that, not even the Riders.

But back to my point, the sporting scene in Toronto has taken such a bad turn and the fans have taken such a beating that it has affected attendance numbers. All we ask is for a decent product and most of the time we don't. With the Argos Grey Cup win, and the huge trade by the Jays...with ownership showing the fan base that it will spend money, this should be a turning point for our city.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:27 AM
  #469
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
I don't know how people can ***** about the CFL getting the biggest names in entertainment to do the half time show. I work with a lady who doesn't give a fiddlers **** about sports but she tuned into see the show.

Bottom line is the CFL put together ANOTHER lineup that the NFL would love to steal for the Superbowl.

Cry all you want but the only singer who has recently had a bigger hit than Beiber and Carly Rae is PSY.

The CFL exposed itself to a different demographic with the show. The half time show is mainly for the TV audience anyway. Most of the fans at the stadium are hitting the can and getting a refill.
Ya, anybody complaining about how the half time show didn't "suit" the Grey Cup doesn't understand the purpose of a half time show.

I may think Beiber is nonsense, but he is the biggest pop-star on the planet, and he played the Grey Cup half time show. That is a massive "get" for the league.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:28 AM
  #470
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Madonna had Nikki MInaj and MIA. Other acts included LMFAO and Cee Lo Green.

2012 was BEP, Usher and Slash.

Their going younger.

2013 line up:Beyoncé, Jay-Z, PSY, Kanye West

Going old has gotten old.

Can't wait to see them Gangnam style it up in Louisiana.
That 2013 lineup is awful. Rap. Pop and some Korean dude with one of the most annoying songs of the decade. Makes Carly Rae, Biebs, Marianna Trench and Lightfoot look pretty good IMO.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:13 PM
  #471
tape to tape
Registered User
 
tape to tape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Grey Cup: Argonauts owner David Braley set for up to $10 million in profits: Sources

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:41 PM
  #472
LeafsTFC
Registered User
 
LeafsTFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Annex
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
That 2013 lineup is awful. Rap. Pop and some Korean dude with one of the most annoying songs of the decade. Makes Carly Rae, Biebs, Marianna Trench and Lightfoot look pretty good IMO.
I'm the furthest you could be from a fan of rap/pop but outside of Lightfoot, that Super Bowl lineup is wayyyyyy better. Carly Rae, Biebs and Mariana's Trench all have some of the most idiotic lyrics.

Whereas PSY's song is a pretty neat satire of life in that one district of Seoul, and even I can appreciate that Beyonce, Jay-Z and Kanye have more artistic talent (not really the type of art I like but oh well) than Carly Rae, Justin Bieber and Mariana's Trench.

LeafsTFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:09 AM
  #473
Darcy Tucker
Registered User
 
Darcy Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
Music today makes me .

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:46 AM
  #474
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
This just my opinion but when people who don't live in Toronto look at attendance they see the ACC sold out for Leaf games and assume well they should be selling out Argos games and Jays games and Raptors games.

As everyone knows the Leafs are everything in this city, they obviously don't have to be good to sell out. When you look at the rest of our sports teams...we have been crap for so long that IMO affected the way Torontonians look at sports. No longer is it a way to go and enjoy yourself, there's a huge negative cloud over all our teams.

Although the Argos have won our last 2 championships, you just aren't going to get 50,000 people going to a regular season game. No team in Canada does that, not even the Riders.

But back to my point, the sporting scene in Toronto has taken such a bad turn and the fans have taken such a beating that it has affected attendance numbers. All we ask is for a decent product and most of the time we don't. With the Argos Grey Cup win, and the huge trade by the Jays...with ownership showing the fan base that it will spend money, this should be a turning point for our city.
The Rock?

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:23 AM
  #475
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
That 2013 lineup is awful. Rap. Pop and some Korean dude with one of the most annoying songs of the decade. Makes Carly Rae, Biebs, Marianna Trench and Lightfoot look pretty good IMO.
You may not enjoy their music, but they are the biggest of the big in the respective genres. They draw crowds and people will tune in.

I am a fan of all music, my playlists are unlike anything you will ever see, completely random hard rock, indie, rap, reggae, pop, hip hop, country etc), with an open mind you can like anything. Sadly very few people are capable of this.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.