HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Haggerty: Jacobs should be held responsible

Old
11-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Not much makes me a fan of Jacobs, but his jacobsedness does not excuse any of the other 28 owners or make them seem the good guy. At a minimum they facilitate his views and quite a few of them must support him.

Every single one of them is responsible, Jacobs is just the stereotypical villain who others can hide behind.

Actually agree with this sentiment. Several have more than enough money to deal with Bettman's fines; they can work to get enough owners together to remove Bettman if they don't like how the league is run. They could remove Jacobs from his chairman role. Even Jacobs only gets one vote.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Why does the league bother giving out the denials?
Well, it's handy for building a list of which guys in the media are an extension of the league's PR staff.

Should anything be read into the fact that this article appeared on a Comcast site? That BoG anecdote had to come from an inside source, maybe Ed Snider's up to something again.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
He's the chairman of the Board of Governors
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
When that owner is the CEO of the Board of Govenors

Thanks guys. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the slightest bit familiar with how the BOG operates, so it's hard for me to wrap my head around how one guy (albeit a very powerful one) can have so much pull when he only has one vote per issue.

Tkachuk4MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

If true, this is very poor behavior on the part of Mr. Jacobs.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Not much makes me a fan of Jacobs, but his jacobsedness does not excuse any of the other 28 owner or make them seem the good guy. At a minimum they facilitate his views and quite a few of them must support him.

Every single one of them is responsible, Jacobs is just the stereotypical villain who others can hide behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Actually agree with this sentiment. Several have more than enough money to deal with Bettman's fines; they can work to get enough owners together to remove Bettman if they don't like how the league is run. They could remove Jacobs from his chairman role. Even Jacobs only gets one vote.

Looks like you both summed up my feelings nicely .

Tkachuk4MVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:58 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Jacobs often refused to spend the big money other clubs would on player contracts pre-2004 lockout because he thought them outlandish which contributed to the Bruins mediocrity in the 80's and 90's, and because of that many Bruins fans had issue with him (myself included). He wanted a hard cap, it was no secret. It got to the point where Bruins fans responded in kind and stopped dropping all their money on the Bruins and instead watching teams like the Sox, Celtics and Pats.

The funny part however is that during that time when he built up all that hatred he personified exactly the quality many who choose to blame the owners suggested they should have. He was frugal, and he was stubborn about it to the point where it likely cost the Bruins many competitive seasons.

How often have we seen someone comment during this lockout that if the owners didn't like how much money the players were making they never should have signed them to those high contracts in the first place. Here's Exhibit A.
Which points exactly to the reason a salary cap is needed. Revenues will drop if an owner is not putting a competitive team on the ice. In order to put a competitive team on the ice an owner must spend at or near the same amount on salaries as the competition.

Jacobs may be a jerk, but that doesn't make him wrong. That includes the sentiment that if he needs to contribute more to revenue sharing, then the NHLPA can kick in some money in the form of reduced salary in order to maintain the same level of jobs.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:59 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
If true, this is very poor behavior on the part of Mr. Jacobs.
Jacobs is the epitome of cheap. He thinks he can take the extra millions with him to the afterlife. People like him worship money and that is their god.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Gormo
Holupchi

I think its pretty safe to assume at this point a number of the owners are probably wondering:

Where are we going with this exactly? Were starting to lose sponsorship now, can we just get back to work? Lets at least try to avoid destroying the season.

Its a legitimate concern and more then fair. That sounds to me like someone having a moment of temporary sanity.

Gormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:23 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Thanks guys. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the slightest bit familiar with how the BOG operates, so it's hard for me to wrap my head around how one guy (albeit a very powerful one) can have so much pull when he only has one vote per issue.
Look at the interlinkage. Dolan does the TV for his own Rangers, but also handles Buffalo, NYI and NJ on very lucrative TV deals. Snider is Comcast with the Sharks, Chicago, Washington and Philly. Jacobs has Delaware North which does the concessions for at least a half dozen teams. Leiweke is AEG which is arena management for more than LA. The guys who do for others on the BOG are the most likely to be in the leadership spots of the BOG. Tenure also helps.

Jacobs is easy to identify, but there are other owners who are just as rabid as he even if their names aren't out there front and center. If he were that far off the consensus of the BOG he wouldn't be heading it. Same goes for Bettman or any other individual villain of the moment.

Last edited by SJeasy: 11-28-2012 at 09:44 PM.
SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:28 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Habs fans know all about Jacobs' influence on the NHL. We were called "whiners" and "hurt"..well...told ya

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:30 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Jacobs is a jerk and most everyone knows it. Ilitch dared question him in public, the Wings thanks for doing that. He targeted one of their free agent players and a team that is one of the pillars of the league isn't on the BOG. If I remember right the Leafs were kicked off the board for a little while for getting chippy with Jacobs and company.

The bigger thing is he isn't doing this alone, he might be the voice but he clearly holds some major support. He keeps the position and the votes. This idea that large portions of ownership don't agree on a lot of this doesn't really scan. Sure a bunch don't want to see the season lost, but they are still fighting for things they care about. It isn't just Jacobs and Bettman alone, they might make your blood boil the most but to date they still hold enough votes and faith to continue doing what they do.

They are playing a dangerous game because Snider, Ilitch and other powerful owners with credibility could step out and end this. But without the NHLPA putting linkage on the table and doing some of the things these owners want there is no reason for a Coup d'état. Why so you can be the guy that said he is unreasonable but they still aren't close enough? My guess is both Bettman and Jacobs are in trouble when this ends, but they won't hurt themselves by doing it now as an ownership group. If they get some of the things they want, not all that Jacobs and Bettman want, they can cram an agreement down their throats. Unfortunately lost in all this is the NHLPA showing up late for meetings and offering the same thing over and over isn't pushing it to the critical stage where this can happen.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:46 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Probably the league is denying it because they don't want to admit the owners are just as fractioned as the players.

As to why Jacobs has this much power, I don't think he would have this much power if Gary didn't share his viewpoints. He (with the Phoenix vote), Jacobs and six other owners can block a CBA they don't like. If Bettman didn't agree with Jacobs he'd be rounding up a majority of moderates to pass a CBA proposal since apparently you only need a majority if it's a deal Bettman signs off on. Probably most of the owners are just going along with it for now because they were promised a big win by Bettman and his hard-liners. And because they don't have enough votes to outflank the minority.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:47 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Fortunately and unfortunately Boston/New England has the very best and the very worst when it comes to ownership.

Bob Kraft is the epitome of class and understands what an important piece of the community a professional team represents. He's a smart businessman but somehow doesn't feel the need to squeeze every last nickel out of the equation. When labor disputes arise in the NFL, expect Bob Kraft to be a part of the solution not the problem. Kraft appears to be universally liked and respected by the Patriot players. The fans certainly like him.

Jeremy Jacobs? The polar opposite of Bob Kraft in just about every imaginable way.
The end of this lockout badly needs a Kraft/Jeff Saturday moment. Those few minutes were more harmony and respect than the NHLPA and NHL have shown each other in the last twenty years.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:50 PM
DuklaNation

Jacobs is a businessman pure & simple. Surviving in that world is not for the faint of heart. He has the power and will use it. Its up to the other owners to step up here. Long overdue for the Toronto owners to be more proactive and provide more leadership in this situation. OTTP was too hands off. Jacobs needs to GTFO.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
This is exactly the type of executive that Fehr is trying to remove from the game.
Owners that won't throw their money away? You bet.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:36 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

The Jets have two alternate governors: Kevin Cheveldayoff and Patrick Phillips.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:35 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I feel that this guy really deserves his own thread.

I have to admit, I was only vaguely familiar with him before the lockout - and only really knew about him in terms of NHL labour relations.

Reading some of the posts on this board, it seems like over the years he's screwed his own team on a number of occasions - although, I assume he's not as bad as Ballard - or even Wirtz were.

Today, Joe Haggerty discusses his role in the lockout (as well as the one in 04/05):

Haggerty: Jacobs should be held responsible

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-b...91&feedID=3352

I thought this was charming:
Oh man, such a pure example of the big ole boys club in the NHL. I, among others here, have claimed for a long time that there is a certain relatively small group of owners in the NHL who truly run the show. Unfortunately, I'm not in a ranting mood to say more,... well perhaps fortunately.

I'm surprised though that people here think that Jacobs is the only one; almostly certainly he is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Help me out here guys and girls. Regardless of how big of a ****** Jacobs is, how can one owner hold up this entire process?

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
The weird thing about Jacobs is that he did essentially do everything the "right way" in regards to his handling of the Bruins in a financial sense.

He privately financed and built his own arena.

Set up an internal salary cap to ensure his team made money every year

However, running a pro sports team like that does not ensure that you win games. Its no coincidence that the stretch between the 1995 and 2004 lockout was one of the worst for the Bruins. Salarys went out of control, he didn't bite, his team sucked, but at the same time the NHL went broke, and it was Jacobs who fixed it in 2004.
Pretty much. Jacobs is crass. There's no doubt about that. He is the antithesis of personable and the on ice product is not his primary concern. But he's responsible and intelligent and keeps his eye on the long term goals of the team and the sport in a way other owners haven't. He's no kingly figure, but he is a very, very good administrator. He does his best work when he isn't anywhere near his own team though.

If we can't have Bob Kraft types own every Boston team, I'll take a guy like Jacobs who knows what he's doing and can generate success before I take a guy who goes for broke, and then we get to watch a terrible product for years when "broke" happens.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I'm surprised though that people here think that Jacobs is the only one; almostly certainly he is not.
Pretty much.

Besides, it's not like Jacobs is going anywhere. And if he had his way, the league would be very financially stable and the players would still be getting rich, so I'm not buying the evil tin pot dictator nonsense.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:59 AM
predfan98

Whoever said earlier that this was a room full of alpha males is exactly right. I don't understand why anyone is surprised. Big business at a high level. Cutthroat-- I wouldn't expect anything less. Everyone has a vote-- it's not just one person running the show.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:31 AM
LSnow

So what i gather from this you could make a "good guy Jacobs" meme. If he is actually trying to make NHL more financially responsible and viable, then he is much better suited for leading position than some random billionaire who doesnt care about losing money in his hobby and gives 120 millions for average players.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

The point is that there's a place in the league for Scrooge McDuck types who didn't accrue their wealth by, or for the purpose of, spending it like a drunken sailor.

If you want the NHL to be as good as it can be, it needs to be a successful business in its own right. profitability is one of the best paths to viability, and viability is the best way to ensure the league is still around in 50 years.

Jacobs has a point when dealing with Peg's owner. They've been in the league for 1 year. I can see why a guy who hasn't lived through one entire CBA yet wouldn't have a good perspective on what was going on.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:47 AM
SCP Guy

vCash: 50
I know the report has now been debunked but I can't wait for the next Bruins trip to Winnipeg....the Jacobs chants are going to be epic

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
It just shows what kind of individual he is as a person.

Winnipeg is new to the game and obviously won't have the kind of experience dealing with this kind of thing that most of the owners do, sure. Their stance as a franchise, though, still holds weight as they are as much a part of this mess as any other owner.

But even if his statement has a bit of merit, vocalizing it in such a demeaning, jerkface way has no place among professionals. These are the kinds of people I don't take seriously. If you can't keep your emotions in check and feel the need to demean others when you speak, I could really care less what you have to say.
Most people in these positions see weakness as an opportunity to get something, not an opportunity to help the weak one get something for themselves (e.g, power, self-confidence). Dominance in theory.. but in reality dominance is not being threatened. Jeremy Jacobs and many others are threatened quite easily when it comes to two things: CONTROL and MONEY (which they use to control), AKA, this is their view of power and that they deserve to wield this power in such a way simply because they believe that power is THEIRS.. they don't consider where it comes from, or that they are still human beings like the rest of us.

Anyone who wants to take a STAB at understanding this mentality ought to read "American Pyscho"...

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
The point is that there's a place in the league for Scrooge McDuck types who didn't accrue their wealth by, or for the purpose of, spending it like a drunken sailor.

If you want the NHL to be as good as it can be, it needs to be a successful business in its own right. profitability is one of the best paths to viability, and viability is the best way to ensure the league is still around in 50 years.

Jacobs has a point when dealing with Peg's owner. They've been in the league for 1 year. I can see why a guy who hasn't lived through one entire CBA yet wouldn't have a good perspective on what was going on.
They might have a fresh perspective... they might offer a more complete idea of the situation. People like Jacobs are not interested in the complete scenario. They are only interested in something very small and definite and have no regard for anything that falls outside of that spectrum.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote