HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Personally I think we have better options at the wing position than Skinner. I guess he's one of those guys that doesn't have a long track record or much of a playoff resume, so in my view he's unlikely to get the benefit of the doubt from Yzerman & Hockey Canada assuming they don't get an opportunity to properly evaluate him before next December.

That said, if he can develop good chemistry with the Staal Bros. whenever the NHL starts up again, he has a shot. I'd say he gets invited to next summer's orientation camp but, again, I think we have quite a few better options at this point.
Well, the line would have to have all 3 TOP 10 in scoring for Skinner to be given serious consideration. E. Staal - J Staal - Skinner. Where would you slot that line, # 3? Where do you put Towes, 4th line center? Other centers are Crosby, Stamkos, Giroux, Tavares, Bergeron (maybe)... just curious has to how you see all these centers fitting in and who gets moved to the wing and who gets left off...

Old
11-20-2012, 07:46 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Well, the line would have to have all 3 TOP 10 in scoring for Skinner to be given serious consideration. E. Staal - J Staal - Skinner. Where would you slot that line, # 3? Where do you put Towes, 4th line center? Other centers are Crosby, Stamkos, Giroux, Tavares, Bergeron (maybe)... just curious has to how you see all these centers fitting in and who gets moved to the wing and who gets left off...
Well, the way I see it Eric is a pretty good bet to make the team at this point, regardless of how well Jordan and Skinner are playing. He's an established, versatile veteran, a great skater, who could slot in at C or LW on any line and not look out of place. Jordan has a reasonable chance, in my view. I have him below Bergeron as a defensive-oriented center, and then it becomes a question of whether you really need him there if you already have Toews (more of a 2-way presence), Bergeron, Richards, and Nash. But, the fact is Hockey Canada loves the guy (like all Staal Bros.), and he was mentioned as a pretty good bet for our 2010 4th line, but ultimately left off obviously. It wouldn't be outlandish if he made the team as well.

Skinner has some work to do - as you mentioned, top 10 in scoring, the 'Canes trio are setting the league on fire, a playoff run (heck, a playoff appearance), maybe an injury to one of our RWers. I personally don't think he belongs, based on what I've seen so far (I'd rather have a guy like Carter or Sharp, probably even Seguin or Benn), but one has to acknowledge that he's got a shot. I can't envision Yzerman taking an entire line of forwards who's team hasn't even made the playoffs in a number of years.

To get the 'Canes line in there, you'd need to line up the forwards something like this (and for the record I personally wouldn't be in favour of this lineup representing us in the Olympics):

Nash - Crosby - Eberle
Tavares - Stamkos - Giroux
Richards - Toews - Perry
Staal - Staal - Skinner
Bergeron

Old
11-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Well, the way I see it Eric is a pretty good bet to make the team at this point, regardless of how well Jordan and Skinner are playing. He's an established, versatile veteran, a great skater, who could slot in at C or LW on any line and not look out of place. Jordan has a reasonable chance, in my view. I have him below Bergeron as a defensive-oriented center, and then it becomes a question of whether you really need him there if you already have Toews (more of a 2-way presence), Bergeron, Richards, and Nash. But, the fact is Hockey Canada loves the guy (like all Staal Bros.), and he was mentioned as a pretty good bet for our 2010 4th line, but ultimately left off obviously. It wouldn't be outlandish if he made the team as well.

Skinner has some work to do - as you mentioned, top 10 in scoring, the 'Canes trio are setting the league on fire, a playoff run (heck, a playoff appearance), maybe an injury to one of our RWers. I personally don't think he belongs, based on what I've seen so far (I'd rather have a guy like Carter or Sharp, probably even Seguin or Benn), but one has to acknowledge that he's got a shot. I can't envision Yzerman taking an entire line of forwards who's team hasn't even made the playoffs in a number of years.

To get the 'Canes line in there, you'd need to line up the forwards something like this (and for the record I personally wouldn't be in favour of this lineup representing us in the Olympics):

Nash - Crosby - Eberle
Richards - Toews - Perry
Staal - Staal - Skinner
Bergeron
I like this team...

Old
11-21-2012, 03:28 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:

Nash - Crosby - Eberle
Richards - Toews - Perry
Staal - Staal - Skinner
Bergeron
I don't like this team much either. I didn't think the Nash-Crosby combo meshed in 2010 and I doubt there will be in 2014. JT I prefer to keep at center and not move to the wing...whereas Stammer I can see playing the wing more effectively.

Perry I'm not sold on him being included at all...and of course I already have my doubts about the the two Staals and Skinner....Eric is the only one I give a shot at returning, but not a given.

Will be interesting.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:21 PM
86Habs

Quote:
I don't like this team much either. I didn't think the Nash-Crosby combo meshed in 2010 and I doubt there will be in 2014. JT I prefer to keep at center and not move to the wing...whereas Stammer I can see playing the wing more effectively.

Perry I'm not sold on him being included at all...and of course I already have my doubts about the the two Staals and Skinner....Eric is the only one I give a shot at returning, but not a given.

Will be interesting.
Well, in all fairness Crosby didn't mesh all that well with Staal and Iginla either in 2010 but the other lines worked so well together in the medal round that Sid ended up with Staal and Iggy almost as a default. In any event the international ice surface plays to both Crosby's and Nash's advantages, so they may get another look together. Who knows. This exercise just shows the disruption in the lineup that can be caused by taking players like Jordan Staal who aren't versatile enough to be moved up and down the lines.

I'm not sold on Perry either; I'm still 50-50 on him, probably like you. If he's on his game a Toews-Perry-Richards line could be a fairly tough line to play against. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for this exercise, but really haven't considered him a lock in my lineup.

Stamkos, to my knowledge, doesn't have all that much experience on the wing, at least at ES. Since we'll be relying on him and his line quite heavily as our #2 scoring threat, I'd prefer to play him in his comfort zone - at the center position - which in my view would give him the best chance to succeed. Tavares would work too, but he doesn't add anything to the center position from a defensive perspective and I've seen him play LW internationally before, very successfully.

All in all, there are still a few positions open at forward IMO. We'll learn more this summer in terms of what Yzerman is thinking of for line combo's, etc.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:42 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
I know the idea isn't popular here, but I think Spezza should play on the wing. He can be relied on to create offence. There are only 5 active NHLers with a better ppg. Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Jagr, and Selanne.

Old
11-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I know the idea isn't popular here, but I think Spezza should play on the wing. He can be relied on to create offence. There are only 5 active NHLers with a better ppg. Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Jagr, and Selanne.
Considering Spezza pleaded with HC for another shot at the WC this past spring and HC said no thanks (the same folks more or less who will pick the Olympic team) Spezza has no shot at all.... unless he goes insane and is racking up a 120 pt season and since there's no NHL season nor does it look like there'll be one anytime soon, Spezza has ZERO chance.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:30 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
I'm not against Spezza to the degree that most are, but it's really hard to see a spot for him. Presumably 4 of the top 6 spots are taken between Crosby, Stamkos, Giroux and Tavares, with three of those guys being pretty adept playmakers. Spezza doesn't really have the versatility that some other players do to slide into a top 6 role or a defensive role.

Quote:
Considering Spezza pleaded with HC for another shot at the WC this past spring and HC said no thanks (the same folks more or less who will pick the Olympic team) Spezza has no shot at all....
Do we know for sure that they turned him down? I thought that they had already offered the last spot to Burrows before Ottawa was eliminated from the playoffs.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:37 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I'm not against Spezza to the degree that most are, but it's really hard to see a spot for him. Presumably 4 of the top 6 spots are taken between Crosby, Stamkos, Giroux and Tavares, with three of those guys being pretty adept playmakers. Spezza doesn't really have the versatility that some other players do to slide into a top 6 role or a defensive role.

Do we know for sure that they turned him down? I thought that they had already offered the last spot to Burrows before Ottawa was eliminated from the playoffs.
There were still roster spots available, IIHF sets available spots higher than does HC internally; so technically they could have taken him, but decided not as per their own reasons. My contention is it's another High Salary they would have to ensure and HC limits those types of players depending on the significance of the tournament. There were Sochi seeding implications for this past WC, therefore HC took a few more high salary players then we normally see. But since this upcoming WC has no Olympic significance, just bragging rights, HC should revert back to it's policy of 1 or 2 high salary players (Olympic team players) and the rest made up of players named Who, even in the event of a lockout. If you look back at the 05 WC team...wasn't the A team, close, but a decent team that made the gold medal game losing to the Czechs... but HC hasn't been serious about the WC in a long time... so we'll see what they do in May. Maybe they'll take 17 year old Nathan Mackinnon to the WC should his team not be in the running for the Memorial Cup. BTW, did you see the highlights from last nights games... J. Drouin is a slick slick player... He should go # 3 in the draft. But I digress...

Old
11-22-2012, 11:12 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
There were still roster spots available, IIHF sets available spots higher than does HC internally; so technically they could have taken him, but decided not as per their own reasons. My contention is it's another High Salary they would have to ensure and HC limits those types of players depending on the significance of the tournament. There were Sochi seeding implications for this past WC, therefore HC took a few more high salary players then we normally see. But since this upcoming WC has no Olympic significance, just bragging rights, HC should revert back to it's policy of 1 or 2 high salary players (Olympic team players) and the rest made up of players named Who, even in the event of a lockout. If you look back at the 05 WC team...wasn't the A team, close, but a decent team that made the gold medal game losing to the Czechs... but HC hasn't been serious about the WC in a long time... so we'll see what they do in May. Maybe they'll take 17 year old Nathan Mackinnon to the WC should his team not be in the running for the Memorial Cup. BTW, did you see the highlights from last nights games... J. Drouin is a slick slick player... He should go # 3 in the draft. But I digress...
I don't know if I agree with your theory. If there any evidence that HC is actively trying to limit the number of high salary players? It seems to me that they get turned down by the big guns most years, not the other way around.

I hope they don't invite MacKinnon, or really any other junior player unless they are at Crosby's level. I've had the chance to see Halifax in person a few times this year, and Drouin looks like a potential monster. He seems so similar to Giroux.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
I don't know if I agree with your theory. If there any evidence that HC is actively trying to limit the number of high salary players? It seems to me that they get turned down by the big guns most years, not the other way around.

I hope they don't invite MacKinnon, or really any other junior player unless they are at Crosby's level. I've had the chance to see Halifax in person a few times this year, and Drouin looks like a potential monster. He seems so similar to Giroux.
I have all kinds of crazy conspiracy theories against HC. ))))

Last edited by Mr Writer: 11-24-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old
11-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Mikos87

There is no way I see Canada going in with only 2 or fewer left handed shooting defensemen. So a guy like Staal, Cambell, Del Zotto, Hamhuis, will probably be on the team over a premier right handed shot on the back end. I feel that Keith is a lock even if he isn't playing as good as he was back in 2010.

Old
11-26-2012, 12:38 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
There is no way I see Canada going in with only 2 or fewer left handed shooting defensemen. So a guy like Staal, Cambell, Del Zotto, Hamhuis, will probably be on the team over a premier right handed shot on the back end. I feel that Keith is a lock even if he isn't playing as good as he was back in 2010.
Add Coburn, too. Not sure if Yzerman et al will have any hard and fast rules on the number of lefties vs. righties, but the composition will also depend on how comfortable the righties are playing on the left side, too. You'd think someone like Letang, who's a pretty adept (right-handed) stickhandler, could get the job done on the left side too.

If its a toss-up between a few guys at the #5-7 spots, then yeah, they'll probably lean towards the LHers; but I can't see them take a clearly inferior player just to maintain the balance.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Flamesfan13

vCash: 50
My team Canada look's like this:
Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux
Perry - Getzlaf - Nash
E. Staal - Toews - Mike Richards
Iginla - Bergeron - RNH
HM: Eberle or Joe Thornton

Weber - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Letang
Seabrook - Keith
HM: Boyle

Price
Ward
Luongo (likely starter).

Old
11-28-2012, 06:01 PM
SB164

I made a $20 bet with a friend that John Tavares will make the team. Good call?

Old
11-28-2012, 06:12 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Not sure what your financial situation is, but you should have bet a lot more - Tavares is an absolute lock.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
There are only four forwards (Crosby, Stamkos, Toews and Giroux) that I would consider more likely.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:50 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Not sure why people have Ward on the team. He's looked very bad in international competition in his last two tournaments. I would have Luongo, Price and either Fleury or Holtby on the team.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:17 PM
SB164

Quote:
Not sure what your financial situation is, but you should have bet a lot more - Tavares is an absolute lock.
He's a good friend, no need to take all of his money. After I win the bet, I'll buy him a drink while we watch Tavares play for Team Canada

Old
11-30-2012, 12:15 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
He's a good friend, no need to take all of his money. After I win the bet, I'll buy him a drink while we watch Tavares play for Team Canada
He's playing in Europe right now, is he not? Tavares that is.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:38 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
He's playing in Europe right now, is he not? Tavares that is.
Yeah, at Bern in Switzerland.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:25 PM
AlexG19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan13 View Post
My team Canada look's like this:
Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux
Perry - Getzlaf - Nash
E. Staal - Toews - Mike Richards
Iginla - Bergeron - RNH
HM: Eberle or Joe Thornton

Weber - Doughty
Pietrangelo - Letang
Seabrook - Keith
HM: Boyle

Price
Ward

Luongo (likely starter).
I think you forgot Tavares

Old
12-03-2012, 08:16 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Quote:
There are only four forwards (Crosby, Stamkos, Toews and Giroux) that I would consider more likely.
Agree completely. I also expected Tavares to have a really big year this year (95+ points) and would find it an absolute treat to see him play top-6 minutes in the Olympics.

It's a shame we lost this year to the lockout. A lot of guys (Hall, Eberle, RNH) could have proven their worth on the team.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Pekka Rinne

Stamkos-Crosby-Giroux
Nash-Tavares-Perry
Spezza-Toews-Eberle
M. Richards-Bergeron-E. Staal
Getzlaf,RNH

Weber-Pietrangelo
Letang-Doughty
Keith-Seabrook
Myers

Price
Luongo
Ward

Old
12-04-2012, 11:58 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Agree completely. I also expected Tavares to have a really big year this year (95+ points) and would find it an absolute treat to see him play top-6 minutes in the Olympics.

It's a shame we lost this year to the lockout. A lot of guys (Hall, Eberle, RNH) could have proven their worth on the team.
There's still time. Hall isn't getting much love in this thread but I think they'll take a long look at him. Hall would be dynamite on international ice and Eberle have undeniable chemistry. It's nice to have a few pure wingers as well. It will be interesting to say the least. Personally I think Hall has a better chance to make the 2014 squad then RNH, just because we have so many good centers and he's 2 years younger.

Closed Thread