HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Red Wings prospect Riley Sheahan arrested for drunk driving but wait....

Old
11-28-2012, 06:25 PM
nWo
New World Order

vCash: 500
So he got arrest as Tinky Winky huh!? Wonder if he had that pink purse along with him?

nWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:16 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
not gonna defend him, but they never said it was just beer.
he could have had a bunch of shooters or a mix (rum and coke, etc...)
gets you drunk in shorter time.... so how many drinks he got is irelevant. the only fact that matters is that he was ****ing way to drunk to drive.
If he was drinking at a bar all hard liquor is served in 1oz portions for high balls and shots, which works out to about the same alcohol intake as 1 beer, although less fluid so you do get drunk faster. Its all relative though if he supposedly had 15 drinks in a bar whether they are shots, or highballs or beer its all going to get you very drunk.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:30 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
That escalated fast. Maybe its different in the U.S of A, but in Canada plenty of my friends got caught with fake id's and none got threatened with that charge, most go a fine or nothing at all
The laws on fake ID's in the US have gotten much stronger in recent years. In college, an organization I was in had a party busted and the University had us bring a LCE Officer (Liquor Control Enforcement) to explain the laws to us. If you're caught with someone else's ID you can get hit with identity theft and all which comes with it, which is life altering for someone who's not a professional athlete.

Of course, I'm sure not all officers actually go that far unless they feel someone really deserves it, and I'd imagine they feel Sheahan has enough problems with the DUI then to pursue how he got the ID.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:02 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
just saw this. So many levels of hilarious, sad, and bad at the same time.

a) not just drunk, but superdrunk. 0.30. He should have been passed out.
b) telletubby costume. Seriously. Yes, he probably went to a halloween party, but was he superdrunk when he chose his costume too?
c) he tried to lilja his way out of the situation, which seems to be what hockey players do.
d) you're 20 years old and making six figures. Call a cab you idiot.
Seriously... Doesn't even make sense at all.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:09 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
The laws on fake ID's in the US have gotten much stronger in recent years. In college, an organization I was in had a party busted and the University had us bring a LCE Officer (Liquor Control Enforcement) to explain the laws to us. If you're caught with someone else's ID you can get hit with identity theft and all which comes with it, which is life altering for someone who's not a professional athlete.

Of course, I'm sure not all officers actually go that far unless they feel someone really deserves it, and I'd imagine they feel Sheahan has enough problems with the DUI then to pursue how he got the ID.
Thats crazy, its still fairly strict in Canada though. Alot of people I know throw campus parties and they are ragers but rarely get busted and if they do the peace officers just tell everyone to go home and thats the end of it. I still cant imagine not being able to drink and go to clubs till 21. A little off topic: I know me and my friends started drinking at parties and such around 15 (the odd weekends) but it didnt seem that odd since legal age was only a couple year away. What age do Americans start hitting the bottle. Do they start later since the drinking age is 3 years more?

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:21 PM
AD1066

Anyone posted the dashcam video yet? (Mods, am I allowed to post this here?)

http://www.wzzm13.com/video/default....=1995093121001

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:31 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Thats crazy, its still fairly strict in Canada though. Alot of people I know throw campus parties and they are ragers but rarely get busted and if they do the peace officers just tell everyone to go home and thats the end of it. I still cant imagine not being able to drink and go to clubs till 21. A little off topic: I know me and my friends started drinking at parties and such around 15 (the odd weekends) but it didnt seem that odd since legal age was only a couple year away. What age do Americans start hitting the bottle. Do they start later since the drinking age is 3 years more?
Around the same age in a lot of cases. High school is pretty common, it ramps up in college.

It is rare for them to truly enforce the full weight of the ID laws as above. It is one of the reasons most make the choice to put their own name on them though. Then it is false information not identity theft. But those are more to get after the people making the fake ids or using positions in state offices to make profit off of selling and distribution. In this case it is fairly easy to see an underage friend has an older friends legal id. There is only so much they can do and I doubt they cared to pressure him into giving a back story. Especially since they kind of embarrassingly originally booked him as Brendan Smith while he kept telling them his name was Riley.

Because the window is much larger from starting drinking to legal drinking in the case of USA versus Canada there is a different culture to it. I remember going across the boarder to Windsor and thinking they didn't look at ids the same way and chalking that up to it must not be as common. Could be wrong.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 11-28-2012 at 08:42 PM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:39 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
I'm sure it differs from person to person, but I got drunk for the first time when I was 15. I didn't actually drink on a regular basis until my senior year of high school when I was 17. My freshman and first semester of sophomore year of college are a complete blur, though. It took me awhile to learn how to drink responsibly.

The small town I went to college in literally has nothing to do, which meant half the people went home every weekend and the other half drank. We had a very good relationship with the police and always cleared parties out when they asked so we had very few run-ins with trouble. Right after I graduated, they fired pretty much the whole police department and cracked down really hard. Things were too out of control at times, some of the stories I could tell don't even seem realistic to me only a few years after, but the new cops are the type that give police officers a bad name. They taze or mace people at any chance they get, and usually end up taking down an innocent bystander. I don't even know if I'll go back for another homecoming after the last 2 years.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:40 PM
BleedBlue247

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
Mixing two drinks that dehydrate you will have that affect!
Oh you aren't kidding. If i never have to re-live that hangover, it'll be too soon.

BleedBlue247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Tangerine
Tier II Fan

vCash: 120
This ID thing could be a thing of the past if the United States would get their head straight and just make the legal drinking age 18 or 19, but I digress.

I wonder how this will affect the Grand Rapids Griffins' on-ice performance? Riley, obviously, will miss some time but I'm more interested about Brendan Smith. If he did indeed give his ID to Riley, I'm sure the organization wouldn't take that lightly and may scratch him from some games if he doesn't get in any legal trouble (which I don't think he will, but I don't know how serious fake ID laws are in the States. In Canada it's more or less a slap on the wrist.)

Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:52 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
This ID thing could be a thing of the past if the United States would get their head straight and just make the legal drinking age 18 or 19, but I digress.

I wonder how this will affect the Grand Rapids Griffins' on-ice performance? Riley, obviously, will miss some time but I'm more interested about Brendan Smith. If he did indeed give his ID to Riley, I'm sure the organization wouldn't take that lightly and may scratch him from some games if he doesn't get in any legal trouble (which I don't think he will, but I don't know how serious fake ID laws are in the States. In Canada it's more or less a slap on the wrist.)
He missed the next game as a scratch and then they went on a huge winning streak and he has played his best hockey of the year. The organization is giving help according to Nill. I do wonder what was said to Smith, but the situation has played itself out really already in a lot of ways. Sure the more information coming out is embarrassing, but most of what you're asking has already taken place.

Sheahan hasn't been made available to comment to the media. Given how they have handled Nicastro's availability I don't expect that to change anytime soon. Smith on the other hand is always available to the media, interestingly we have seen a lot less of him, probably protecting him from commenting.

Keep in mind Ilitch and company have dealt with Probert, McCarty and others. In baseball the same owner has had the Cabrera and both Young brothers situations. They will handle this internally, that is the MO of this group and always has been from the top on down.

If you're waiting for something, get ready to wait a long time.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
That makes no sense, though. Why did he give it to the police officer if he found it and was going to return it to Brendan? How did he get alcohol if he found it and was going to return it?

Either a) Brendan had lost his license and Riley found it and decided to use it to buy alcohol and use it as a fake ID or b) Brendan gave it to Riley to use.

If a) then Riley is guilty of identity theft and fraud. If b) Brendan is in trouble for giving someone his ID and that's another whole host of issues.
According to what I read he didn't give his name and when they looked through his wallet they first found Brendan's, so they assumed it was him, they later found Riley's and he admitted to him being Riley then.
Getting the alcohol is as simple as "I found it" nothing more nothing less, the bar, the liquor store, Brendan Smith can't get in trouble then.

The whole identity theft angle is nearly impossible to prove, especially when both guys who are in on it are friends. The simple I lost my ID, I found his ID and was going to return it is simple and corroborates each other

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:14 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post

The whole identity theft angle is nearly impossible to prove, especially when both guys who are in on it are friends. The simple I lost my ID, I found his ID and was going to return it is simple and corroborates each other
Not really. Figure out where he got his alcohol.

I mean how did he get that drunk if he was under age? He had to use someone else's ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
I would agree if Sheahan was slightly over legal limits but .30? And no one noticed him? Or the bar didn't stop him?

Furthermore this is his 2nd time he got arrested for DUI. I would deport his ass back to Canada.

The fact he obtained a license to get drunk (and his second arrest for DUI) is a huge issue here.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:23 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
I would agree if Sheahan was slightly over legal limits but .30? And no one noticed him? Or the bar didn't stop him?

Furthermore this is his 2nd time he got arrested for DUI. I would deport his ass back to Canada.

The fact he obtained a license to get drunk (and his second arrest for DUI) is a huge issue here.
False, this is his second underage drinking offense, first and hopefully last DUI.

Would guess he has a hard time getting another underage with his 21st birthday on the 7th of December.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Not really. Figure out where he got his alcohol.
All he has to say is he found it. If they really want to pester him he can simply say that a homeless guy gave it to him. In the latter situation Riley is in the clear because he didn't buy it, the store didn't sell to an underager, he didn't solicit someone to buy it, and the guy who provided alcohol to a minor would be impossible to locate.

You're really making this out to be more difficult than it actually would be

Old
11-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
All he has to say is he found it. If they really want to pester him he can simply say that a homeless guy gave it to him. In the latter situation Riley is in the clear because he didn't buy it, the store didn't sell to an underager, he didn't solicit someone to buy it, and the guy who provided alcohol to a minor would be impossible to locate.

Since your Swedish I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't realize how some American police units take underage drinking very serious. Now perhaps Grand Rapids is a big enough city that the police probably have actual real crimes to deal with, but if you don't think some cops in the US don't have hours to kill pestering you and threatening you about where you go your booze, well...

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 03:50 PM
WingsMike
Registered Man

vCash: 738
Quote:
According to what I read he didn't give his name and when they looked through his wallet they first found Brendan's, so they assumed it was him, they later found Riley's and he admitted to him being Riley then.
Getting the alcohol is as simple as "I found it" nothing more nothing less, the bar, the liquor store, Brendan Smith can't get in trouble then.

Look at the video. At 1:30 the officer says "What's your name? Riley? OK." Then she does a pat-down on him, finds his wallet and starts calling him Brendan for the rest of the video.

WingsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 05:17 PM
TNigs

Ok now the Wings brass is just poking fun at Sheahan...

Is this his community service?

TNigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 05:51 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Since your Swedish I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't realize how some American police units take underage drinking very serious. Now perhaps Grand Rapids is a big enough city that the police probably have actual real crimes to deal with, but if you don't think some cops in the US don't have hours to kill pestering you and threatening you about where you go your booze, well...
You get in a lot more trouble when you don't cooperate and Sheahan did. It is different depending on where you are, but underage drinking is ticketed and pushed in a lot of places but not with the aggression you are stating. The tricky part is that he is a foreign worker, but his offense from Notre Dame has been taken off his record. Really he goes down as a first time violator for both offenses. I would be surprised if this taken to the serious degree legally that you are saying.

Also there is a decent chance while watching the video did he get miranda rights, the audio was weak? Was he able to understand them, was any conversation he had admissible? The fact he pleaded not guilty makes me question some of that. I am not a legal expert but there are bunch of questions here and chances are he is going to have a very good lawyer. He will be punished, but I doubt deported and I doubt he sees the maximum penalties in terms of jail time with this offense. I hope he learns his lesson that is most important. But the lack of charges on Smith suggest they are having trouble with that angle at least in terms of Smith that is probably a good sign legally.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 11-29-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old
11-29-2012, 05:55 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:

Except, in the article, he confirmed he was at a bar/club.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

I can't believe this was front page news at usatoday.com.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:03 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Except, in the article, he confirmed he was at a bar/club.
They were out earlier as a team, the photos taken off twitter since seem to show some sort of pre-bar party. It is possible for him to say he had been with him and didn't realize he had Smith's ID and found it and thought I will return it to him tomorrow and used it to go out with teammates. If Smith didn't go to the bar or worse yet even with a common name the bar let in two guys with same ID, that is tricky in and of itself. I understand he is in trouble but there are a ton of arguments to get him out of this position that a lawyer can use. Chances are and you can not like this but Wings/Griffins have made sure their stories match up as far as Smith and Sheahan are concerned.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Sorry, born and raised in America, married a Swedish woman and moved my practice to Stockholm. Most American cities, especially ones like Grand Rapids where actual crime is much more rampant, they usually turn a blind eye to underage drinking. College towns are where you'll see stuff like that actually enforced with MC's and whatnot.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:50 AM
Tomas W

He better not do this again, that's all I have to say.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:19 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Sorry, born and raised in America, married a Swedish woman and moved my practice to Stockholm. Most American cities, especially ones like Grand Rapids where actual crime is much more rampant, they usually turn a blind eye to underage drinking. College towns are where you'll see stuff like that actually enforced with MC's and whatnot.
I agree.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote