HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

American Prospect Update Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 06:34 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UvBnDatsyuked View Post
I know your comment probably wasn't looking for an in depth comment

The system here in the U.S. didn't help. two things helped.
It's certainly interesting to hear a first hand account like yours. Do you have an opinion on USA Hockey's American Development Model? It seems that USA Hockey has seen the issues you're talking about and is working to correct them.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:38 AM
thefeebster

For those who've been watching/following the NDTP, wondering about John Hayden. He's off to a very good start since coming back from his injury. Sounds like the kind of player every coach would want to have. What separates him and Fasching? Is it potential? And whereabouts would you rank him for the draft?

Old
11-28-2012, 09:58 AM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
What are potential examples this year? Off the top of my head I can think of Matteau, Biggs, and Connor Murphy.
In regards to this year's WJC team, Riley Barber is another one in addition to the three mentioned. Alex Galchenyuk is somewhat of another as he was born in the States because of hockey's dad's pro hockey career. Henrik Samuelsson is another.

I believe that's it off the top of my head from this year's (potential) WJC team.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:29 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
It's certainly interesting to hear a first hand account like yours. Do you have an opinion on USA Hockey's American Development Model? It seems that USA Hockey has seen the issues you're talking about and is working to correct them.
I think it is a step in the right direction for a lot of programs. I coach older players now so not too familiar with it besides what I read. Most good quality programs were driving cross ice and better utilization of ice for a long time so it probably didn't effect most of high quality programs a lot. I know of programs that implemented cross ice games and got rid of full ice hockey for mites quite a few years before ADM was implemented. USA Hockey pretty much looked at top programs around the world and implemented what they felt were the bright ideas from those programs. ADM is to get all of the laggards on the same page.
Good coaches know that a young hockey player needs to be in situations where the skills are amplified and multiplied. I know parents complain and want to see full ice hockey games for 7 year olds but if they only took the time to study those games and compare to cross ice games, they would see how many more things happen during a cross ice game. During a full ice mite game, the time it takes a kid to push the puck ahead from the defensive face off circle down to the other end of the ice, a cross ice game could have had, during that same time frame 2 shots on net,1 attempted pass, 3 dekes, 1 rebound control, 1 loose puck, 3 defensive decisions and a puck battle. (rather than one kid pushing a puck forward and everyone else trying to catch)
I think the important thing is to keep teaching the parents. Most parents would say that they want their kid to become the best player they can become and those parents need to know what the commitment level is to reach the higher levels of hockey. The amount of shots a player will take during even the best ran practice is not even close to adequate. Top players are taking hundreds of shots a day on their own to get to the elite level and I know some kids who are getting over 500 or more shots a day. And this is just one of the skills. The other skills are worked on just as religiously and consistently by the top players on their own. (Just one example is Galchenyuk. The ice time he practiced weekly on his own when he was with the Chicago Young Americans, was more ice than he got with his U16 team at CYA. That trend continued in Sarnia and I’m sure the trend was same before he came to CYA.) These are stories that parents need to know

Old
11-28-2012, 08:41 PM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UvBnDatsyuked View Post
The amount of shots a player will take during even the best ran practice is not even close to adequate. Top players are taking hundreds of shots a day on their own to get to the elite level and I know some kids who are getting over 500 or more shots a day. And this is just one of the skills. The other skills are worked on just as religiously and consistently by the top players on their own. (Just one example is Galchenyuk. The ice time he practiced weekly on his own when he was with the Chicago Young Americans, was more ice than he got with his U16 team at CYA. That trend continued in Sarnia and I’m sure the trend was same before he came to CYA.) These are stories that parents need to know
Lots of good points in your post.

In regards to your statements about Galchenyuk, I know a goalie from CYA who used to skate with Galchenyuk and just a couple other players on a full ice sheet for hours on end during the summer. Galchenyuk would get upset when the goalie would have to go home after playing for 3+ hours.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:50 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeissFC View Post
Lots of good points in your post.

In regards to your statements about Galchenyuk, I know a goalie from CYA who used to skate with Galchenyuk and just a couple other players on a full ice sheet for hours on end during the summer. Galchenyuk would get upset when the goalie would have to go home after playing for 3+ hours.
If I may that used to be the way for us old timers lol. Every night playing shinny on the local outdoor rink for 3 or 4 hours. You learned how to skate and develop all of the individual skills.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:30 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
If I may that used to be the way for us old timers lol. Every night playing shinny on the local outdoor rink for 3 or 4 hours. You learned how to skate and develop all of the individual skills.
barefoot and uphill as well!

Old
12-01-2012, 12:49 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

he seems to be flying under the radar a bit, but our next great offensive player might be Blake Clarke from Brampton of the OHL. Kid has really done a great job as a rookie this year on a mediocre squad...Size definitely not a concern, and though he isnt a sniper, his two way game is extremely promising.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:57 AM
Exit Dose

Compher had a goal and three assists against Alabama-Huntsville. Fasching had two goals and two assists.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:27 AM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
barefoot and uphill as well!
Yeah and it was a lot colder then lol. Man I should write a book about some of the stuff that went on at the local rink.

Enjoy the WJC everybody

Old
12-01-2012, 02:57 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
That's actually a point made by some opponents of the ADM. If cheap ice and equipment were regularly available to a larger portion of the population and kids were allowed to play as long as they wanted in unstructured pick up games it might very well lead to good things. I believe quite a few of the first great US players developed their games this way.

It's actually not too dissimilar from the way basketball has been learned for so long in the US and I'd say that of all the sports the US is known for our basketball players tend to be among our most creative and skilled athletes.

Old
12-02-2012, 05:21 PM
larrypacman8167

hey guys, i'd like to know what team usa could look like at the wjc

Old
12-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Tommy Vannelli committed to the University of Minnesota today

Old
12-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Tommy Vannelli committed to the University of Minnesota today
Does he plan on going to juniors for a year? He has the skill, but Minnesota's blueline is stacked and he needs to bulk up a good 15-20 pounds.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Does he plan on going to juniors for a year? He has the skill, but Minnesota's blueline is stacked and he needs to bulk up a good 15-20 pounds.
Most prospects on his level want to come in right away but I think he'll be a 2014 guy. It would be better for both parties if he played a year of juniors first.

Old
12-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

Hopefully. Tri-City Storm hold his rights.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Could anyone tell me where Sean Day is? Providing a link to his current team would be very helpful

Old
12-03-2012, 04:02 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Could anyone tell me where Sean Day is? Providing a link to his current team would be very helpful
You can follow his HPHL stats here... http://www.pointstreak.com/players/p...&seasonid=9414

I'm assuming WHB removed him from the list on the front page given the uncertainty over his citizenship. If he's a dual-citizen the question might still be open but it seems there's a chance he only has Canadian citizenship.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:12 PM
jfb392

Quote:
You can follow his HPHL stats here... http://www.pointstreak.com/players/p...&seasonid=9414

I'm assuming WHB removed him from the list on the front page given the uncertainty over his citizenship. If he's a dual-citizen the question might still be open but it seems there's a chance he only has Canadian citizenship.
I've seen people say that he's "100% Canadian" and he's stated multiple times on and off the record that he's Canadian, including a recent interview from the Silver Stick tourney, but he has never mentioned holding dual citizenship, so I doubt he represents the US.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Garyboy

Quote:

Thanks for the link. Interesting that he said he had to go see some family from Toronto. Sounds like playing for Team Ontario is a possibility at the World U-17 Challenge down the road.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:58 PM
T5500

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post

Forwards
Pos.NameDOBH.lbs.L/RTeamLeagueCollege CommitmentNHL Rights
FMax Jones--98--LCompuwareMidget MinorUndeclared2016
FClayton Keller29-JUL-98--LShattuck St. Mary'sBantam MajorUndeclared2016
FNoah LaLonde22-MAR-985'8155LHoneybakedBantam MajorUndeclared2016
FNick Pastujov21-JAN-985'11185LHoneybakedBantam MajorUndeclared2016
FSam Sternschein--986'2-RLong Island Gulls-Undeclared2016

Defense
DChad Krys10-APR-985'11165LConnecticut OilersMidget MinorUndeclared2016
DRyan Lindgren11-FEB-98--LShattuck St. Mary'sBantam MajorUndeclared2016

Goalies

I'll start to update the opening posts with updated info, hyperlinks to the player's stats for the season, etc. here soon. If you see any errors, players that would be good additions, additional relevant info, etc. please let me know.

I enjoy the discussions/updates we get in here. Hopefully we can keep it going for round 2.

I'll start to update the opening posts with updated info, hyperlinks to the player's stats for the season, etc. here soon. If you see any errors, players that would be good additions, additional relevant info, etc. please let me know.

I enjoy the discussions/updates we get in here. Hopefully we can keep it going for round 2.
Ryan Edquist Bantam Major Goalie at Shattuck St. Mary's should be part of the 1998 birth year players. DOB 1/28/98 HT 5'10 WT 150 SH Left Undeclared 2016

Old
12-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Connor Hurley chooses Notre Dame...color me bummed

Old
12-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Mathletic

What do you guys think of Luke Kirwan?

Old
12-09-2012, 11:12 AM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
What do you guys think of Luke Kirwan?
I haven't personally seen him play, but I do know that many OHL teams and scouts can't wait to acquire his rights, since he's probably going straight to the OHL.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
I haven't personally seen him play, but I do know that many OHL teams and scouts can't wait to acquire his rights, since he's probably going straight to the OHL.
a scouting report of any kind nearby?