HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Moroz took a stupid penalty, no doubt, but he had a pretty good game, getting some good offensive chances, scoring a goal that was disallowed (quick whistle, should have been a goal) and was trucking Tigers all night. He was a force. His linemates were Benson and Kulda I believe, and Moroz was the driving force on that line for sure. Samuelsson and Lowe took bad penalties as well. What else is new?

They all need to play with more discipline. Fantastic finish tonight. Great goal by Lowe in OT with one second left. The Tigers goalie was decent, but didnt really have to stand on his head or anything. A lot of goal posts/crossbars, and a disallowed goal that should have counted if not for a quick whistle. Oil Kings let them hang around and it almost cost them.

Got chased out of our seats again by undisciplined kids and stupid, lazy parents. Will be looking to swap seats for the rest of the year come Monday, if they arent able to accommodate, we will not be renewing our season tickets.
It's amazing how many parents flat out don't give a **** how much trouble their kids create as long as they are out of their hair.

11-25-2012, 04:06 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
They out shot MH bad tonight but still gave up 5 or 6 PP's, MH scored the tying goal on a PP with Moroz in the box :/

How good was the MH goalie tonight I wonder? Stopped something like 45 or 46 shots?
Went to the game tonight, actually found myself watching the MH goalie more than the game, he was very very good this game.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:39 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Watch the games! God... what is with some people. If you wanted to draft players solely based on stats there would be a lot of midgets from the Quebec league playing in the AHL right now....

He has an entire package of skills.. Brandon Sutter scored 2 (!) goals the entire second half of his draft year. Are you saying you wouldn't take him in the first round of a 2007 re-draft? Zach Hamill got 93 pts in his draft year in the same draft and same junior league and was drafted 3 spots higher than Sutter.. Who turned out better? You probably would have picked Hamill.
For every Brandon Sutter there is a Colton Gillies and while taking a chance on a smaller skilled player might net you a Zach Hamill, it can also get you a Claude Giroux or Jordan Eberle. Though I don't remember suggesting that the Oilers should only take small skilled players....

And in regards to Brandon Sutter, how good is he anyways? He has been a decent 3rd line center on a bad hockey team for his whole career. He isn't particularly physical, he doesn't bring anything exceptional offensively, he isn't an elite faceoff guy or PKer. He has the Sutter name. I guess that is a plus...

Although I suppose getting a good third line hockey player that is a legit NHLer is a good pick pretty much no matter where you pick a guy if its outside of the top 10. If you can get that in the first round I suppose you are doing pretty good...

Anyways, as I said. I am basing this almost entirely on stats and a couple less than impressive showings. It will be interesting to see where he ranks in mid-season rankings. NHL Central Scouting has him ranked only as the 8th best in the WHL alone from their recent rankings. I see him sliding.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:17 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
For every Brandon Sutter there is a Colton Gillies and while taking a chance on a smaller skilled player might net you a Zach Hamill, it can also get you a Claude Giroux or Jordan Eberle. Though I don't remember suggesting that the Oilers should only take small skilled players....

And in regards to Brandon Sutter, how good is he anyways? He has been a decent 3rd line center on a bad hockey team for his whole career. He isn't particularly physical, he doesn't bring anything exceptional offensively, he isn't an elite faceoff guy or PKer. He has the Sutter name. I guess that is a plus...

Although I suppose getting a good third line hockey player that is a legit NHLer is a good pick pretty much no matter where you pick a guy if its outside of the top 10. If you can get that in the first round I suppose you are doing pretty good...

Anyways, as I said. I am basing this almost entirely on stats and a couple less than impressive showings. It will be interesting to see where he ranks in mid-season rankings. NHL Central Scouting has him ranked only as the 8th best in the WHL alone from their recent rankings. I see him sliding.
Using that as a guide is a fools game.

It is really that bad. I would suggest that whoever made that list is basing it off of stats instead of live viewings much like you are doing.

Last night is a good example. If you look at the box score you will see Samuelsson scored and Lazar had only one assist. What you wont see is that goal was all Curtis Lazar as he fought off a check and two or three Medicine Hat players to drive to the net while maintaining possession. You also wont see all the puck battles won, or the defensive plays made to help clear the zone/start an offensive rush.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Philly85
Raps'

That game was boring last night.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Moroz took a stupid penalty, no doubt, but he had a pretty good game, getting some good offensive chances, scoring a goal that was disallowed (quick whistle, should have been a goal) and was trucking Tigers all night. He was a force. His linemates were Benson and Kulda I believe, and Moroz was the driving force on that line for sure. Samuelsson and Lowe took bad penalties as well. What else is new?

They all need to play with more discipline. Fantastic finish tonight. Great goal by Lowe in OT with one second left. The Tigers goalie was decent, but didnt really have to stand on his head or anything. A lot of goal posts/crossbars, and a disallowed goal that should have counted if not for a quick whistle. Oil Kings let them hang around and it almost cost them.

Got chased out of our seats again by undisciplined kids and stupid, lazy parents. Will be looking to swap seats for the rest of the year come Monday, if they arent able to accommodate, we will not be renewing our season tickets.
That's encouraging. I wasn't at the game, just going by what I saw from the OK's twitter and the WHL game sheet.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

The game was sweet just for one thing.

Behind me, there is this obnoxious lady who is cheering for the Medicine Hat Tigers. All game she is ragging on Keegan Lowe. Saying he is the worst defender in the WHL, and that he only plays because his dad is Kevin Lowe. And that the only reason he got drafted was because Kevin Lowe warmed up to the Hurricanes.

Who scores in OT with one second left? Keegan Lowe of course. I turn around and look her in the eyes and say: "Worst player of in the WHL.". She leaves.

Victory.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:31 PM
puckfan13

Quote:

If you think Lazar is comparable to Colton Gillies I don't know what to tell you, any Dub watcher knows that Gillies had the hockey sense of a rock. And Gillies had 30 pts....

And yeah getting Brandon Sutter outside the top 10 is a terrific pick if you go back in any draft so I don't know what you are trying to say. Don't make a conclusion and a rush judgement after watching literally twice, it's more than a little ridiculous.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Bold prediction based on two viewings of Curtis Lazar and otherwise based solely on stats.

By the end of the season he isn't a first round draft pick. Book it.
Lazar was dominant in last year's playoffs. This kid has all the tools to be a great#2 center. He plays a pro style game right now. I'll be thrilled if the Oilers land him in the first.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post

Behind me, there is this obnoxious lady who is cheering for the Medicine Hat Tigers. All game she is ragging on Keegan Lowe. Saying he is the worst defender in the WHL, and that he only plays because his dad is Kevin Lowe. And that the only reason he got drafted was because Kevin Lowe warmed up to the Hurricanes.

Who scores in OT with one second left? Keegan Lowe of course. I turn around and look her in the eyes and say: "Worst player of in the WHL.". She leaves.

Victory.
He is a pretty bad player regardless.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:06 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
He is undisciplined and takes stupid and selfish penalties.

I wouldnt call him a bad player.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post

Victory.
Thanks for sharing that story it was worthy!

Old
11-25-2012, 11:19 PM
April Ethereal
You are Wrong

vCash: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Nowhere near a bad player.

As stated, he just makes really stupid decisions sometimes.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
http://winterhawks.com/article/winte...ons-suspension

Sorry I'm typing this from my phone, but it looks like the Portland Winterhawks have been doing more than a bit of cheating. I have some knowledge of just how stringent the rules are, and I'm amazed that a top Club would pull such crap, no doubt gaining a competitive advantage. They should have been stripped of their playoff eligibility instead of so many picks, but regardless, they're going to suffer without their first rounders.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

It would be tremendous if the Oilkings could use this situation to their advantage.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:43 PM
fysloc

I don't get what the issue is here. So a club provided flights for a couple of family members to see their kid play a game, and they are being penalized for it? Either im not getting the whole story or there is something fundamentally wrong here.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The punishment is excessive. It wouldn't surprise me if the WHL sees some blow back here.

Last edited by Moonlapse Vertigo: 11-28-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old
11-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The punishment is excessive here. It wouldn't surprise me if the WHL sees some blow back here.
Yeah it does seem that way, on the surface, however I will differ to someone who probably knows more.

Quote:
Dean Millard ‏@TPSDean

@darenmillard if u believe that's all they did I have lots of things to sell u. @TPS_Guy

Old
11-28-2012, 05:24 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yeah it does seem that way, on the surface, however I will differ to someone who probably knows more.
That whole " I want what the guy on the Winterhawks got" must have some sort of legs.

I wonder if they told the player in question, we'll keep it quiet but you need to tell us what happened.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:28 PM
40oz

Here's a more indepth article on the matter by the TPS guys.
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.ca/2...ions.html#more

This happened to London too, and they fought it and had their punishment reduced. I'd imagine Portland will try to do some of the same. Suspending Johnson is huge.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:14 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
It would be tremendous if the Oilkings could use this situation to their advantage.
The Oil Kings could very well be next on the chopping block.

Its not like Katz hasnt tried to bend the rules before.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:

Its not like Katz hasnt tried to bend the rules before.
Trust me, this did cross my mind too, maybe it's a league wide clean up, but who knows.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
April Ethereal
You are Wrong

vCash: 407
There has to be more to it. While those are fairly serious violations already, that seems excessive. I'm gonna guess there was some major financial offerings going on in recruitment.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Only 1 player on the roster at the start of this season came from outside the organization (Klarc Wilson). Everyone else was drafted or listed by the team.

Musil makes that two.

The only American "wooed" up is Cody Corbett and I don't know anyone who would allege they "bought" him.

Samuelsson is here because his dad told him to - basically cut his own kid from his SEL team so he'd get more exposure in his draft year.

I'm curious as to who comes under scrutiny for you Liquor?

11-28-2012, 09:52 PM
smokersarejokers

Samuelsson is the only one I would question.

But, like Guy said, his old man cut him in Sweden and basically told him to go to NA to improve his draft stock. Plus, I'm sure the Samuelssons are loaded, so why bribe them? Plus, Ulf and Kevin Lowe are friends, so, again, no bribe needed.

I sure as heck hope they didn't bribe Corbett. Klarc Wilson was a trade for Brent Raedeke, who was a great Oil King and played really well for Brandon in their Mem Cup run, so no issues there.

I think the only perks that the Oil Kings get that the other teams don't (except Calgary) is the use of an NHL team's training rooms, etc. It's probaby easier to get scouted in major cities like Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver too.

Last edited by smokersarejokers: 11-28-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Closed Thread