HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs 1st NHL team worth $1 billion US

Old
11-28-2012, 03:08 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
How? Does MTL have anything close to the Leafs practice facility? Do they even have their own TV channel? Not only that but I'm pretty sure Leafs ticket prices are way more then Montreal's..
1. Yes, the Habs have a beautiful practice facility. 2. No to their own TV channel, it would be somewhat more difficult because the fan base is split between 2 languages and I'm not totally sure how valuable Leafs TV is anyway, it's a nice piece but it's no where near the driving force behind the 1B estimation.

The Leafs prices are definitely higher than Montreal's. It seems the Bell and Rogers purchase elevated the Leafs value, seeing as last year I think they were listed at being worth 521 million.

To the person that said the Habs should be closer, they'll probably close the gap a little bit next year because their local TV deal with RDS is set to expire and will be worth a lot more but it's hard to imagine the Habs getting over 700-750 million. The Leafs are clearly the most valuable team in the league either way.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Dunny777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Anybody know what the Leafs' value was in 2011? Only thing I can find is '09 and it shows them at 470m. Seems incredible how they managed to double their value in just a few short years (though I guess the selling has more to do with that).
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...ess-of-hockey/

Apparently it was $521 million. It's a little confusing to see how the Leafs' value almost doubled over one year. I'm no business expert, but the only logic seems to be that the 2011 valuation was probably a little low, while the 2012 valuation is inflated by the fact Bell and Rogers probably overpaid so that they could get whatever media/sports monopoly they're hoping to milk out of it.

Dunny777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:26 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny777 View Post
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...ess-of-hockey/

Apparently it was $521 million. It's a little confusing to see how the Leafs' value almost doubled over one year. I'm no business expert, but the only logic seems to be that the 2011 valuation was probably a little low, while the 2012 valuation is inflated by the fact Bell and Rogers probably overpaid so that they could get whatever media/sports monopoly they're hoping to milk out of it.
When you have two of the biggest telecommunications companies in the whole country putting money together to buy a team.. You're value is going to double

11-28-2012, 03:30 PM
mapes

A big reason IMO is bell and rogers own them and own virtually every sports channel so their tv rights is huge. Just my guess. Their revenue was almost identical to last year too so that could be the reason.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Dunny777

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
When you have two of the biggest telecommunications companies in the whole country putting money together to buy a team.. You're value is going to double
But does it actually double? Again, I'm not a business expert, but for a team's value to double wouldn't that imply that their profits need to double? Short of massive ticket price hikes, which is never out of the question in Toronto, I don't think their profit is going to rapidly double like the valuation did.

Dunny777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
richest team in the nhl, complete refusal to open the coffers to attract the best talent in the world.
Rangers fan here. I'm not proposing that the NHL gets rid of the salary cap completely, but there should be a luxury tax. It's unfair to us (fans of the richer teams) that we spend more money to see a game than other teams, yet we don't get anything in return.

It's even more unfair to the Canadian teams that taxes are much higher there than in the US, yet the salary cap is the same.

According to Forbes, the Rangers' revenue per fan was $31 and the Leafs' was $35. Want to know what Washington's (just a random team I thought of, so nothing against them) was? $17. We should have to spend an equal amount of money on players as them?

Fans of these teams say, "Oh, it's unfair that the Leafs and Rangers could buy talent." How's it unfair? THE FANS are buying the talent. If these fans drive up the ticket market for their team, the prices would increase, and they would be able to spend as much as us. They complain about what's unfair, but no one shows up to their games. What money do they expect to be used to sign free agents?

11-28-2012, 03:52 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Rangers fan here. I'm not proposing that the NHL gets rid of the salary cap completely, but there should be a luxury tax. It's unfair to us (fans of the richer teams) that we spend more money to see a game than other teams, yet we don't get anything in return.

It's even more unfair to the Canadian teams that taxes are much higher there than in the US, yet the salary cap is the same.

According to Forbes, the Rangers' revenue per fan was $31 and the Leafs' was $35. Want to know what Washington's (just a random team I thought of, so nothing against them) was? $17. We should have to spend an equal amount of money on players as them?

Fans of these teams say, "Oh, it's unfair that the Leafs and Rangers could buy talent." How's it unfair? THE FANS are buying the talent. If these fans drive up the ticket market for their team, the prices would increase, and they would be able to spend as much as us. They complain about what's unfair, but no one shows up to their games. What money do they expect to be used to sign free agents?
I agree.

If the Leafs didn't have to split their revenue the way they do, there might be a big difference in the contracts they hand out and the team quality we receive in return. It might be fair from a compete level, but not from a fan perspective.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:57 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Guys if you just stopped going to the games Burke would trade Holzer for Giroux. But no he can't be bothered to because they make money no matter what. Psht, sheeple.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Fans of these teams say, "Oh, it's unfair that the Leafs and Rangers could buy talent." How's it unfair? THE FANS are buying the talent.
Exactly. What's unfair to me is that fans of the Leafs/Rangers/Habs/etc. pay more for tickets, buy more merchandise, etc. etc.... and for what? So we can watch Stanley Cup parades in Carolina and Tampa Bay where no one gives a ****?

The NHL is very unusual in this respect. I've never seen a professional sports league so obsessed its weakest links and so indifferent to its most storied, successful franchises.

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:32 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Exactly. What's unfair to me is that fans of the Leafs/Rangers/Habs/etc. pay more for tickets, buy more merchandise, etc. etc.... and for what? So we can watch Stanley Cup parades in Carolina and Tampa Bay where no one gives a ****?

The NHL is very unusual in this respect. I've never seen a professional sports league so obsessed its weakest links and so indifferent to its most storied, successful franchises.
The traditional markets are saturated. There's greater potential for profits if you can expand your market and fan base.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:37 PM
DionPhaneuf3

Shouldn't Coyotes value be the least? And wow at Toronto, had no idea

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Greedy management! I agree it's about spending on the right personnel, but the right talent.

Imagine if AA was the GM. He would do wonders with that kind of money. Burkie has always been overrated to me, he can build a team and is stubborn as hell.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:53 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:

if I'm not mistaken doesn't the NBA and NFL also have a salary cap?

-DeMo- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

That's insane!

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
if I'm not mistaken doesn't the NBA and NFL also have a salary cap?
NBA has a "soft" salary cap and a luxury tax system. The NFL has a salary cap system, but also every team is valuable, so it's not like it's there to cut down spending from the rich teams. It seems like it's only there just to cut down salaries league-wide.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

Look at those team payrolls. I doubt the teams that aren't paying luxury tax mind getting that money split between them.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:14 PM
RogerRoeper*

I'm shocked the Leafs are worth more than the Lakers.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Leafs03

Its crazy! at least were winning on something lol... but seriously, we have missed the playoffs for years now and still cost 1b, thats freaking sick....and they named Pens the best fan base lol....if crosby didnt go to that team, they wouldnt even exist!

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I'm shocked the Leafs are worth more than the Lakers.
It's cool and I hate the Lakers but I just can't figure out how that math adds up. Were the last NBA rankings done before the Lakers new TV agreement?

Old
11-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Ari91

Quote:
"I'm intrigued by the evaluation and the recent MLSE acquisition clearly demonstrates the growing importance of all of our franchises to our fans," MLSE COO and President Tom Anselmi told TSN. "But I have no idea of how they came up with that number."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410452

This could mean that the evaluation is over or under but likely that the 1B is not accurate....that is unless Anselmi is looking at it from the perspective that the Leafs aren't separated from the other franchises under the MLSE banner (he does make a general reference to MLSE franchises rather than specifically mentioning the Leafs).

Regardless of how accurate the Forbes numbers are, I'm willing to bet that the Leafs are in fact the most profitable franchise in the league. After reading Anselmi's comment, I'm not willing to bet that it's worth exactly 1B. Though in fairness, I would never risk betting on Forbes numbers.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:10 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

I think it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

For instance were the non-sports holdings of MLSE lumped in with the franchise value?

Even then shouldn't part of that value be split with the Raptors and TFC, the other entities of the Parent company?

Was the total value of the ACC given to the LEafs? It's half the Raptors arena as far as I can see.

A complete break down would be ineresting to see.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
You mean like when we traded Rask for Raycroft, or a 1st for Toskala? I'm sure a 31 year-old Brad Richards would've saved us.
Trading the best goalie prospect in the world for a one-hit wonder is most definitely not the same as paying the BEST PLAYERS in the world a hell of lot more money than any other team. Keyword here is the best players, not the second tier scrubby free agents like Jeff Finger or Mike Komisarek.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 08:55 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Trading the best goalie prospect in the world for a one-hit wonder is most definitely not the same as paying the BEST PLAYERS in the world a hell of lot more money than any other team. Keyword here is the best players, not the second tier scrubby free agents like Jeff Finger or Mike Komisarek.
Carey Price?

Old
11-28-2012, 09:03 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
NBA has a "soft" salary cap and a luxury tax system. The NFL has a salary cap system, but also every team is valuable, so it's not like it's there to cut down spending from the rich teams. It seems like it's only there just to cut down salaries league-wide.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

Look at those team payrolls. I doubt the teams that aren't paying luxury tax mind getting that money split between them.
And why is it that every team in the NFL is so valuable?

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasybaseballchamp View Post
Carey Price?
Should have classified "One of the best..". But lets be honest, Tuuka Rask is certainly in the same ballpark as Carey Price.

Actually, he was traded shortly after that steller performance at the WJC where he won the bronze medal and was named the goalie of the tournament. Carey Price was cut from that year's Team Canada. So I think a really valid argument could be made for Rask being the best goalie prospect in the world at that time.

Last edited by Jerkini: 11-28-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 09:09 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
And why is it that every team in the NFL is so valuable?
Two or three years ago just from the TV deals, every owner of every franchise put $2M PROFIT in his pockets.

That was before a single ticket, or hotdog was sold.

That is why they are so valuable.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote