HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

vCash: 500
Richardson finds early success as AHL coach
by Allen Panzeri

The modern player doesn’t like to get yelled at. He wants a coach who understands, but, most important, listens to him. That what the baby Senators they have in Richardson.

“The player-coach relationship has shifted a lot from what it was in the past,” said defenceman Patrick Wiercioch.

“A lot of the coaches who have had success in the NHL have had good relationships with their players, and I think that’s why we’re having success right now. A lot of the time, when you think you’re the only one going through something, and you talk to (Richardson) about it, he can relate to it and tell you stuff he did to get through certain weeks, certain months.

“You take it to heart more when you see what he did, because to have the career he did is something we all want.”

======
http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/ri...s-as-ahl-coach

Old
11-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Maybe wrong but I see Grant on the wing in Ottawa. He'll have to do pretty well to take the job from JOB. Won't get an idea until we see Grant play with NHLers.
i guess we have a few guys who could play wing in the bottom 6 in ottawa. to be honest i don't really remember how good JOB was. i know he was pretty good and reliable, but don't really remember how he would compare to grant if he was there.
as for the wingers, I don't think daugavins and condra will be there long term. they could be replaced with DD and grant already (guessing).
Of course you're right we have to see these guys play in the nhl first to compare.
eventually we may have noesen and maidens to fit in there too. and kramer? culek?

Old
11-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Minister of Offence

It's funny because I think I've seen more light criticism them positives for Luke around here. Maybe I'm only seeing the negatives, which is usually just constructive anyways but all I really see is a guy that's pretty ideal to be put in front of a group of 20-25 year olds.

Like PW said he's done exactly what all those kids reasonable hope to do...play an extended career. Most of these guys don't even dream of being a star, they just want to have a real career. Whether you're a tough player and look up to the way he played, or you're a player that needs to learn to be tougher, his reputation can only help.

He's also been through some circumstances that put every prospects "problems" in perspective when they think their having a rough day. And I'm sure he handles himself admirably even on his worst days.

We got lucky he wanted to be there.

Old
11-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

i'm happy seeing some consistent improvements. it looks as though they are all getting more comfortable with each game and playing better as a team. nothing to worry about as far as i can see.
just follow maclean's instruction of a "little bit better each day" and we'll all be pretty happy at the end of the season.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:11 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
This read made me happy

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--st...214007873.html

Sorry if already posted.

Old
11-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
spezza 117 pts,

no one on the team has 17 pts right now.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:24 AM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Senators hoping they’ve found another late-round diamond in Claesson

“The first game I felt lost and didn’t know what to do,” he said. “And the league is much tougher than in Sweden. But it’s coming more and more and I’m starting to feel good now.

“I was thinking about this before I came here, so I knew it was going to be hard, but I’m feeling better and better every game. I think it’s going to take some years. We’ll see. I have a three-year contract now, and we’ll see after that.” Binghamton head coach Luke Richardson said Claesson, who spent last season at now-relegated Djurgardens, is adjusting well and so far has done a good job.

“He’s a good kid, and he’s done really well,” said Richardson. “Every day, he’s the first guy who comes over and asks, ‘What can I work on? He has a real positive attitude and everybody loves him. He’s a bit of a character. It’s nice to get him here when he’s young. It gives him a chance to work on his game and hopefully he can graduate as soon as possible.”

=========
http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/se...nd-in-claesson

Old
11-25-2012, 12:49 AM
starling

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... Abbotsford Heat goaltender Barry Brust made American Hockey League history on Saturday night, establishing a new league record for longest shutout streak.

Brust held the San Antonio Rampage off the scoreboard into the second period of their game at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, before finally allowing a goal to Rampage forward James Wright, ending his shutout run at 268 minutes and 17 seconds. That surpassed the previous AHL record of 249:51, established by Hockey Hall of Famer Johnny Bower with the Cleveland Barons in 1957.

http://theahl.com/in-brust-we-trust-p180479

Old
11-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Old
11-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Is Schneider a Butler 2.0?

Old
11-25-2012, 05:12 PM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Is Schneider a Butler 2.0?
No... the announcer said the words "hard work" to describe his first goal

PS

Bobby Butler's Stats

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/-
2012-13 Albany Devils AHL 14 2 1 3 4 -3

Old
11-25-2012, 06:27 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I actually forgot Bobby Butler even exists

Old
11-25-2012, 07:28 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Ya gotta love Claesson's attitude. He knows its gonna take the extent of his ELC to even get a shot at the bigs.

Yea hes a longshot to ever make it, but he has translated his game to the smaller ice quicker than most of us expected and exceeded my expectations already.

Old
11-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Ya gotta love Claesson's attitude. He knows its gonna take the extent of his ELC to even get a shot at the bigs.

Yea hes a longshot to ever make it, but he has translated his game to the smaller ice quicker than most of us expected and exceeded my expectations already.
He has been really good imo, ive watched a lot of the games and ive noticed him and Wiercoich the most on Def.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

Don't know if it's fair to call him a long shot at this point. But of course, will be battling it with several guys over the next 2-3 years. He's clearly jumped ahead of several guys very quickly with his willingness to come over...and he's played well.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:

It's also a good test for Luke..see if he succeeds on grooming him to be at that next level..

Claesson has been a decent D-man, strong skater, seems to have adjusted well..like mentioned PW and Claesson are the ones getting it done that others, myself included, didn't know what to expect early on..

Old
11-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Silfverberg proving to be a quick study
BY ALLEN PANZER

Binghamton head coach Luke Richardson says Silfverberg and fellow Swede Mika Zibanejad are slowly getting more comfortable, but they also have to contend with being targets.

“I think it’s been a big adjustment for them, but I can see they’re starting to get to know their surroundings a little bit, especially on the power play,” said Richardson. “They’re making plays in small areas quicker and getting used to it. But these guys also have a reputation following them. They’re world-class players, so people are trying to get on them quicker and give them no space.

“People recognize what they can do, so they’re ready for them. That makes it difficult for a guy.”

As for life away from the rink, Silfverberg says that hasn’t been a problem. Sweden is a lot like Canada and the United States, and he’s living near his Swedish teammates: Zibanejad, Robin Lehner, Fredrik Claesson, and Andre Petersson.

So all is good.

“It was very exciting for me to come here to play,” he said.

“I’ve been playing in Sweden my whole life and I wanted to try something new.

“So now I’m here and I’m liking it a lot, learning new things and getting more experience as a hockey player.”
======

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...tm_source=t.co

Old
11-25-2012, 11:51 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Don't know if it's fair to call him a long shot at this point. But of course, will be battling it with several guys over the next 2-3 years. He's clearly jumped ahead of several guys very quickly with his willingness to come over...and he's played well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
It's also a good test for Luke..see if he succeeds on grooming him to be at that next level..

Claesson has been a decent D-man, strong skater, seems to have adjusted well..like mentioned PW and Claesson are the ones getting it done that others, myself included, didn't know what to expect early on..
Agreed on both. Something I've realized from Claesson is I've rarely seen him in a bad defensive situation so far this year. A good skater with the ability to make a good first pass out of the zone. Considering the role he is playing and the limited ice-team on the power play compared to the others, he has been very impressive. Not that far off at all if he continues to improve. Especially if he keeps up that added grit.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Berserker*

I really like what I saw from Pageau last game. For one of the smaller guys on the team, he was taking big runs at the Bridgeport players. With a bit more strength training a muscle mass, those big runs that he was taking will end up being huge hits.

He also was the first guy on the ice to defend his team mates when the opportunity presented itself. It was good to see a little guy like Pageau not being afraid to gets his nose dirty. It was kind of funny to see a little guy like Pageau defending some of the bigger and tougher players on the team like Jessiman and Eckford.

If he keeps up the physical play, he may very well end up as a Claude Giroux type of player.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:06 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I really like what I saw from Pageau last game. For one of the smaller guys on the team, he was taking big runs at the Bridgeport players. With a bit more strength training a muscle mass, those big runs that he was taking will end up being huge hits.

He also was the first guy on the ice to defend his team mates when the opportunity presented itself. It was good to see a little guy like Pageau not being afraid to gets his nose dirty. It was kind of funny to see a little guy like Pageau defending some of the bigger and tougher players on the team like Jessiman and Eckford.

If he keeps up the physical play, he may very well end up as a Claude Giroux type of player.
I don't think he has the same offensive talents Giroux had when he was at the Q and his first pro career. Giroux had a couple of 100+ point seasons and a point per game season at the AHL level while Pageau had a couple of 70 point seasons at the Q and has 5 points in 15 games so far. We need to temper our expectations on Pageau's upside, just because his coach said in his draft day that he reminds him of Giroux doesnt mean that suddenly that's Pageau's upside. I think he has the tools to be a good player, someone like a Tyler Ennis if everything goes right.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:27 AM
BigZKingK

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
I don't think he has the same offensive talents Giroux had when he was at the Q and his first pro career. Giroux had a couple of 100+ point seasons and a point per game season at the AHL level while Pageau had a couple of 70 point seasons at the Q and has 5 points in 15 games so far. We need to temper our expectations on Pageau's upside, just because his coach said in his draft day that he reminds him of Giroux doesnt mean that suddenly that's Pageau's upside. I think he has the tools to be a good player, someone like a Tyler Ennis if everything goes right.
I think i was more talking about playing style that upside well i hope so i love what the kid is showing right now thou

Old
11-29-2012, 07:39 AM
sens83

Quote:

We were calling him Mighty Mouse in the stands. Guy wasn't afraid to finish a check, even if he was falling off of them like fleas.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
We were calling him Mighty Mouse in the stands. Guy wasn't afraid to finish a check, even if he was falling off of them like fleas.
I love this observation. Why?

Because he's doing exactly what development people and coaches in Ottawa want him to do. It's probably the hardest thing for him to do but the most beneficial. When you're small, you've gotta play big if you wanna play in the NHL.

Someday Pageau may move people on contact like you said, and if he means business on the ice, he'll probably mean business in the weight room and the kitchen. Good stuff, something to monitor.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
I was referring to playing style more than point totals. I could see Pageau end up being like Grioux back in 2009-2010, where Giroux had 47 points.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
That's not a bad nickname for him lol. It was good to see some feistiness in his game.

Closed Thread