HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2012, 11:59 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 475
You can pick up an Easton Eq 50 for less than $100 bucks here http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...-clear-sr.html

I used this stick for awhile, I liked it. It's not the most durable, but for some players it's not a huge issue. I don't know what level you play at, so it would be up to you to determine if it is a big deal.

Also, I believe all clearance is 20% off right now at Hockeymonkey.

Old
11-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coz21 View Post
eek. I'm not really in the upper range price wise. Anything closer to $100 range?
Nothing that would match the quality of the Vapor XX. Maybe a clearance Warrior or Easton?

Old
11-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Fury81
Rookie User

So I am 5-11 and 170 lbs forward that has never really had a fast/accurate wrist shot. A friend told me I should try an intermediate stick. I have read that the whippy flex could teach me to shoot better but I am wondering if I am too tall for intermediates. Also wondering if I am too used to senior flex/length (i never cut them down) that the switch would be difficult. Anyone have a similar experience or suggestion?

Old
11-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

In case you don't see my other post, give it a shot. If you cut your sticks below your nose in bare feet it will probably feel whippy but that might be a good way to learn to feel the flex. You may want to stick with a low kick stick so it doesn't get too whippy feeling.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:19 PM
BeezyD18

Whats the equivalent of a CCM lie 5.5 to a Bauer/Easton 5.5 or viceversa if i worded that wrong.
And im thinking about getting a ccm with a crazy ovi curve, wondering if should get it. Any1 had any good with it?

Last edited by BeezyD18: 11-28-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old
11-28-2012, 09:56 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezyD18 View Post
Whats the equivalent of a CCM lie 5.5 to a Bauer/Easton 5.5?
And im thinking about getting a ccm with a crazy ovi curve, wondering if should get it. Any1 had any good with it?

The Crazy curve is crazy. You really have to limit the follow through and let the curve do all the work. Good luck shooting far side on a quick snap.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:58 AM
IDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan52 View Post
just bought an intermediate ak 70 flex. only been able to use it once, but i managed to pick up 4 assists. cant wait to get out to some shinny to play around with it instead of learning as i go in game because i can tell my shot needs some adjusting with it. can sauce the puck like never before though
enjoy it...love that stick, cant find another one to my specs.. now using the diablo

Old
12-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Zippy316

My EQ50 just broke

I got it at a Devils draft party for 50 bucks, and have used it for like 2 years.

I got two questions...

What stick should I get, not looking to drop 200+ plus, but I want a good stick...

And I have this grip on the butt-end that came with the stick that I love, but I can't find it anywhere. It's like a rubber grip but it has like ribs in it but they are pretty close together. Anywhere know where to find it?

Old
12-10-2012, 08:05 PM
3koma

hi after reading your thread, it is up side with previous concept, in my city (Hong Kong), no matter what is your wiegh or height, everybody using senior stick if you are adult.We use 100 Flex stick even 5"3 130 lbs.
I am 5"7 84kg and would like to give it a try. but would like to know which flex is better for me.Normally, i will cut down one and half section to make the end butt reach my nose, so 77 or 65, which one good for me?I do know what is the feeling to blend stick before, i can feel the stick has "cracking" sound and the puck fly like hell.I cant which model is, the only thing i can remember it is Easton, 85 flex (Cut 1 and half or 2 section), grip in orange color and it should be after Syerngy silvery color OPS.
i have Bauer XXXX 77 flex, but cant shooting that kind of shot.
I normal slap more that waist.thanks

Old
12-10-2012, 09:26 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
My EQ50 just broke

I got it at a Devils draft party for 50 bucks, and have used it for like 2 years.

I got two questions...

What stick should I get, not looking to drop 200+ plus, but I want a good stick...

And I have this grip on the butt-end that came with the stick that I love, but I can't find it anywhere. It's like a rubber grip but it has like ribs in it but they are pretty close together. Anywhere know where to find it?
Again, how can we recommend anything to you if we don't know A) the specs on the previous stick or B) your preferences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3koma View Post
hi after reading your thread, it is up side with previous concept, in my city (Hong Kong), no matter what is your wiegh or height, everybody using senior stick if you are adult.We use 100 Flex stick even 5"3 130 lbs.
I am 5"7 84kg and would like to give it a try. but would like to know which flex is better for me.Normally, i will cut down one and half section to make the end butt reach my nose, so 77 or 65, which one good for me?I do know what is the feeling to blend stick before, i can feel the stick has "cracking" sound and the puck fly like hell.I cant which model is, the only thing i can remember it is Easton, 85 flex (Cut 1 and half or 2 section), grip in orange color and it should be after Syerngy silvery color OPS.
Maybe a mid-kick stick like a Bauer Supreme/Nexus or Reebok A.I. A 70 flex Warrior intermediate might work as the DT/Widow/Dynasty line is 60" at INT height iirc.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Does anyone know if Reebok replaced the P87 curve with the P87a and if so, is there any major difference between the two?

Someone decided to tomahawk my Ai9 after a whistle and it is no longer in one piece.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:26 AM
AIREAYE

That P87 was discontinued after the 10K line I believe. The AI9 wasn't made in a P87 pattern, only P87A.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post

Did the grip look like this: Tacki Mac Grips?

If you liked the EQ50, you can find them on clearance a lot of places for close to $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3koma View Post
At your height I'd check out an intermediate, around 65-70 flex. The stick shouldn't ever sound like it's cracking though.

I am guessing you had an old Easton ST?

Old
12-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
That P87 was discontinued after the 10K line I believe. The AI9 wasn't made in a P87 pattern, only P87A.
My lack of being able to find the curve backs this up, though I can 100% assure you the model I had was just the P87 7 lie. Nonetheless, since it seems I cannot replace that, any real differences between the P87 and P87a? I found it hard to believe the P87 was an actual 7 lie, but whatever it was, I really enjoyed playing with it.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:51 AM
AIREAYE

That's weird, do you have a picture of the label on the stick that says P87 and the curve??

I have the catalog open and I can assure you of that fact previous. The only way I can see it being a P87 on an AI9 would be if it was a retailer's SMU, a manufacturer's sample, or a pro stock stick.

Well I compare the P87 more to a slightly shallower but more open Datsyuk with the curve starting more towards the heel with a slightly higher lie and square toe. The P87A is more of a Hall/P92 equivalent but slightly shallower and more towards the heel than mid compared to those 2.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
That's weird, do you have a picture of the label on the stick that says P87 and the curve??

I have the catalog open and I can assure you of that fact previous. The only way I can see it being a P87 on an AI9 would be if it was a retailer's SMU, a manufacturer's sample, or a pro stock stick.

Well I compare the P87 more to a slightly shallower but more open Datsyuk with the curve starting more towards the heel with a slightly higher lie and square toe. The P87A is more of a Hall/P92 equivalent but slightly shallower and more towards the heel than mid compared to those 2.
Unfortunately, I do not as I left it in the rink's trash. That makes more sense. I picked it up from a buddy who is friends with a pro. It didn't have any pro stock markings so my guess is manufacturer's sample.

I appreciate your breakdown of those two curves. It looks like the P87a will be the closest thing I can get to replace it and will just adjust to the slight differences in the curves.

The bright side (stick wise, not results wise) is the stick broke at the end of our playoff game we lost, so now I will have a month or so to get comfortable again with another stick in my closet. Of course, none of felt quite as right as the AI9, but it'll be fun to go back to the drawing board and re-learn how to use the curves.

The Reebok Ai9 was uncut 85 flex and was about an inch or so longer than what I had been using.
  • TO P88 87 flex (probably the easiest to go back to as it was the most recent and simplest pattern, just with it were slightly more open)
  • TO P08 87 flex (what I am leaning towards as it was fun to stick handle and shoot with, and I will probably add an inch or so to get to the stock length of the Reebok)
  • One95 P91a (Feel and shooting is good, but lack of curve after the heel makes it harder to stick handle with which is what prompted me to try the P08)
  • Buy a replacement blade in the P87a and put it in my X60 shaft (already added and cut off a composite butt end that wouldn't come out so I can't add any length to it which steers me away from this option

Old
12-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Again, how can we recommend anything to you if we don't know A) the specs on the previous stick or B) your preferences?
Alright, the stick doesn't say anything, it's been sawed off at the top to put on the rubber end piece, but do you by any chance know what kind of blade Arnott uses/used. What would I look for on the stick for more info on what it is, I'm thinking of just buying another EQ50 actually, it'll be easier and cheaper.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
You can pick up an Easton Eq 50 for less than $100 bucks here http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...-clear-sr.html

I used this stick for awhile, I liked it. It's not the most durable, but for some players it's not a huge issue. I don't know what level you play at, so it would be up to you to determine if it is a big deal.

Also, I believe all clearance is 20% off right now at Hockeymonkey.
I'm only 16, so I just play in like rec leagues, nothing serious. So I could care less if I'm using a 300$ or a 75 dollar one. The main reason I've used this EQ50 is I picked it up at a draft party for 75 bucks in 2011 so it was a steal. I've been using it since and it just broke on me, it's been over a year old.

Old
12-12-2012, 08:07 AM
SCritical

so I'm looking to buy another stick. I've been using an intermediate easton EQ20 with a Hall curve, cut down to about 75 flex. I like this stick for my level of play, but I've cracked the shaft.

I like the Hall curve, I wouldn't want anything steeper than that. I would like a stick with a higher flex if possible.

I'm 5'3, 170lb and play all positions but I shoot with close snapshots more than anything else.

I'm looking for another lower end stick around the $100 mark, I have used a lower end Bauer stick before -Vapor X:Lite - but I wasn't happy with it, it seemed heavier and stiffer than the EQ20. I wouldn't mind looking at another brand, I've only ever used those two sticks so I don't know what else is out there.

I think that's everything...any advice?

Old
12-12-2012, 09:06 AM
AIREAYE

You want a whippier end result? Or stiffer?

Old
12-12-2012, 05:11 PM
SCritical

Quote:
You want a whippier end result? Or stiffer?
Whippier would be nice

Old
12-12-2012, 06:05 PM
AIREAYE

In the current models, you could look for maybe a Nexus 600 in intermediate, which comes in a 60 flex. A softer hosel area as part of it's true mid-kick would feel a bit whippier. I'd avoid Vapor. An INT 55 flex Warrior stick also sounds like it could work; perhaps a closeout Bandito or Dolomite.

Old
12-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Ruhnie

After dumping close to a grand into top end sticks this year, and having 3 of them break on me far too quickly for my liking, I am both heartbroken and confused as ever about what stick(s) to try next. Maybe you fellas can help me out.

I'm 5'9" 190lbs and don't have a preferred shot, I use snappers, slapshots, and wristers, but likely in that order. I play all skater positions regularly as well.

My 1-pc stick history, from memory (oldest to newest):

Easton Synergy
Warrior MacDaddy
Easton S17
Easton SE16
Warrior Dolomite DD
Bauer Vapor APX
CCM RBZ
CCM RBZ 60

I usually go with either a 75/77 or 85/87 flex, but tbh I don't have any idea what I'm supposed to "feel" with the flex, or if I have ever really noticed it or loaded any stick properly. I do feel like my shots are a bit faster and more accurate with the 85 flex however.

My biggest points of confusion are with kickpoint and flex. The only thing I could say I notice is on the low kick sticks they feel less responsive somehow, and if I shoot the way I normally did before having one like that, my shots were wonky. When I shoot slower and "let the stick do the work" the shots are much better but it doesn't feel natural.

Both the APX and RBZ treated me well, but man are they expensive. I went through 2 APXs this year and both lasted me about 2-3 months each. The RBZ made it about 5 months. I decided I couldn't bring myself to go top end again right away and picked up the RBZ 60, but I am not as happy with it. Any thoughts? Just go back to the RBZ and suck it up? Thanks.

Last edited by Ruhnie: 12-13-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old
12-14-2012, 08:37 AM
jsykes

What do you not like about the RBZ 60 in comparison to the RBZ?

Old
12-14-2012, 08:54 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
After dumping close to a grand into top end sticks this year, and having 3 of them break on me far too quickly for my liking, I am both heartbroken and confused as ever about what stick(s) to try next. Maybe you fellas can help me out.

I'm 5'9" 190lbs and don't have a preferred shot, I use snappers, slapshots, and wristers, but likely in that order. I play all skater positions regularly as well.

My 1-pc stick history, from memory (oldest to newest):

Easton Synergy
Warrior MacDaddy
Easton S17
Easton SE16
Warrior Dolomite DD
Bauer Vapor APX
CCM RBZ
CCM RBZ 60

I usually go with either a 75/77 or 85/87 flex, but tbh I don't have any idea what I'm supposed to "feel" with the flex, or if I have ever really noticed it or loaded any stick properly. I do feel like my shots are a bit faster and more accurate with the 85 flex however.

My biggest points of confusion are with kickpoint and flex. The only thing I could say I notice is on the low kick sticks they feel less responsive somehow, and if I shoot the way I normally did before having one like that, my shots were wonky. When I shoot slower and "let the stick do the work" the shots are much better but it doesn't feel natural.

Both the APX and RBZ treated me well, but man are they expensive. I went through 2 APXs this year and both lasted me about 2-3 months each. The RBZ made it about 5 months. I decided I couldn't bring myself to go top end again right away and picked up the RBZ 60, but I am not as happy with it. Any thoughts? Just go back to the RBZ and suck it up? Thanks.
You are probably just going to have to suck it up b/c once you've gone top end it is hard to go back. To me everything, even mid-range sticks, now feel like a lead pipe.

What about the Sher-wood N12? People have a lot of good things to say about this stick. It is very light and a little easier on the budget at $189

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/N...7-41/?mtx_id=0

Closed Thread