HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Offseason (6-10; Gailey and staff fired, Brandon now President)

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 08:37 AM
BowieSabresFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
I'd take Geno Smith anywhere in the 1st round. If Barkley is available after 15 you take him. Te'o should be the draft target for this team.

In order this team needs:

LBs
WR
CB
QB

This is the draft were you draft the position you need not the best available.
Smith yes, but I'd take Glennon over Barkley. Same basic quarterback, but Glennon has the stronger arm.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
I'd take Geno Smith anywhere in the 1st round. If Barkley is available after 15 you take him. Te'o should be the draft target for this team.

In order this team needs:

LBs
WR
CB
QB

This is the draft were you draft the position you need not the best available.
You would draft a WR over QB? WR doesn't even make my list of needs right now.

LB
QB

everything else.

I'm hoping they go LB in first round and QB in second round. Geno Smith is the only QB I would even consider in the top 10-15 and he almostly definitely will not be around when we pick. I would not spend a first rounder on Barkley but I'd be fine with any of Barkley (sure he won't be there), Wilson, Bray (if he declares), Murray, or even Glennon, Nassib, or Manuel in the 2nd round.

I want no part of Landry Jones before the 3rd or 4th.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:24 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

None of these QBs are exciting, wait 2 or 3 more years for JOHNNY FOOTBALL!

Old
11-28-2012, 12:26 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

CALLING OUT MR. WILSON!

http://www.buffalonews.com/Article/2...wo-bills-drive

Old
11-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Nothing new or anything most fans didn't already know.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:19 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
You would draft a WR over QB? WR doesn't even make my list of needs right now.

LB
QB

everything else.

I'm hoping they go LB in first round and QB in second round. Geno Smith is the only QB I would even consider in the top 10-15 and he almostly definitely will not be around when we pick. I would not spend a first rounder on Barkley but I'd be fine with any of Barkley (sure he won't be there), Wilson, Bray (if he declares), Murray, or even Glennon, Nassib, or Manuel in the 2nd round.

I want no part of Landry Jones before the 3rd or 4th.
Yes. It would be nice to have a WR that can create space (or maybe a big bodied WR for the End Zone?)

If I'm the Bills (and assuming they pick in the top 10-12). You go LB, WR and pick up Manuel or Jones in the 3rd.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Yes. It would be nice to have a WR that can create space (or maybe a big bodied WR for the End Zone?)

If I'm the Bills (and assuming they pick in the top 10-12). You go LB, WR and pick up Manuel or Jones in the 3rd.
Does that really help if you have a QB that routinely misses that WR that can create space? For instance, they drafted Graham in the 3rd round last year...how much of an impact on the game is he having? The same point can be made for most WR in the league, let alone rookies. Very, very few WR can fuel an offense. Good QBs can make stars out of otherwise mediocre WR.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
like Denario Alexander? I still cant believe they brought him in for a workout late September and passed.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:45 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Does that really help if you have a QB that routinely misses that WR that can create space? For instance, they drafted Graham in the 3rd round last year...how much of an impact on the game is he having? The same point can be made for most WR in the league, let alone rookies. Very, very few WR can fuel an offense. Good QBs can make stars out of otherwise mediocre WR.
Can go the other way too. Vincent Jackson? Calvin Johnson? Andre Johnson?

Graham is also a rookie and isn't a big target. If the Bills can hit on a 1st round WR with size and speed then the leaves Stevie open all day.... and it doesn't matter who is throwing him the ball.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:19 PM
johnjm22

Quote:

Isn't David Nelson that guy?

I agree with you on taking an LB before QB though.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:32 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Isn't David Nelson that guy?

I agree with you on taking an LB before QB though.
Yes and no.... You want a combo. Nelson lacks the speed.

In other news the Jags pick up Babin just in time for the Bills

Old
11-28-2012, 04:02 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Yes and no.... You want a combo. Nelson lacks the speed.

In other news the Jags pick up Babin just in time for the Bills
Getting separation hasn't been an issue for our receiving targets though.

I'd take a CB before WR.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:03 PM
OkimLom

Quote:

Graham is also a rookie and isn't a big target. If the Bills can hit on a 1st round WR with size and speed then the leaves Stevie open all day.... and it doesn't matter who is throwing him the ball.
Matters when the guy throwing the ball has the pass knocked down at the line, it matters when the guy throwing the ball throws behind the WR.

IMO, there are more Good QBs that make average better WRs better than they are than good WRs making Average QBs better.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:

I don't view Vincent Jackson as that kind of guy. I said in my post it can go the other way, but those guys are few and far between. I consider Larry Fitzgerald to be one of the best receivers in the league and he can't even elevate his QB.

Essentially what you're saying here is that you see the problem with the passing offense lying in the receivers inability to get open. In which case, I'm just going to have to completely disagree.

It does matter who is throwing the ball, we routinely see Fitz miss open receivers. Just because your receivers can get open, it doesn't mean your QB can hit them (see the Spiller and Jones' plays down the sideline this week).

In my opinion...Stevie, Jones, Nelson, and Graham is a competent receiving group to head into next season with. That's not a priority (at least not over QB) for me right now. Additionally, I think Spiller is perfectly capable of splitting out wide if need be, something I wish they would utilize more often.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:20 PM
is the answer jesus

Oakland will release Rolando McClain on Thursday. I hope to god Buffalo puts a claim in for him

Old
11-28-2012, 09:27 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
Oakland will release Rolando McClain on Thursday. I hope to god Buffalo puts a claim in for him
Why? He's pretty much a bust at this point.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:36 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Why? He's pretty much a bust at this point.
He's 23 years old and while he has disappointed is he really any worse then what we already have? Sheppard has been hot garbage this year. I'll take a guy who's coming off of a 99 tackle 5 sack campaign in just his 2nd year.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:40 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
He's 23 years old and while he has disappointed is he really any worse then what we already have? Sheppard has been hot garbage this year. I'll take a guy who's coming off of a 99 tackle 5 sack campaign in just his 2nd year.
agreed, as long as it doesn't cost the team a draft pick put in a claim for him....

Old
11-28-2012, 10:09 PM
dma0034

Quote:
I don't view Vincent Jackson as that kind of guy. I said in my post it can go the other way, but those guys are few and far between. I consider Larry Fitzgerald to be one of the best receivers in the league and he can't even elevate his QB.

Essentially what you're saying here is that you see the problem with the passing offense lying in the receivers inability to get open. In which case, I'm just going to have to completely disagree.

It does matter who is throwing the ball, we routinely see Fitz miss open receivers. Just because your receivers can get open, it doesn't mean your QB can hit them (see the Spiller and Jones' plays down the sideline this week).

In my opinion...Stevie, Jones, Nelson, and Graham is a competent receiving group to head into next season with. That's not a priority (at least not over QB) for me right now. Additionally, I think Spiller is perfectly capable of splitting out wide if need be, something I wish they would utilize more often.
I never once said that is the problem with Buffalo's offense. I'm looking pass one year needs. I want a WR that can be a premiere target for the next decade not some lackluster QB prospect in a weak draft class ( pretty much wasting a pick). For example I wanted the Bills to trade for Bowe.... not because I thought he'd help them reach the playoffs this year but that a tandem between him and Johnson would of done wonders for a young QB (Fitz's replacement).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think picking a QB in this draft is worth it..... they'll reach for anyone they pick up

Old
11-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Rolando McClain just got cut, we should claim him, he would immediately be our 2nd best LB. I'm not sure if he's a good fit for our scheme or not but he has immense physical talent and is still real young, Only 23 years old.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:08 PM
dma0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Rolando McClain just got cut, we should claim him, he would immediately be our 2nd best LB. I'm not sure if he's a good fit for our scheme or not but he has immense physical talent and is still real young, Only 23 years old.
Making less than a million this year.... seems like a no-brainer to give him a chance.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
I never once said that is the problem with Buffalo's offense. I'm looking pass one year needs. I want a WR that can be a premiere target for the next decade not some lackluster QB prospect in a weak draft class ( pretty much wasting a pick). For example I wanted the Bills to trade for Bowe.... not because I thought he'd help them reach the playoffs this year but that a tandem between him and Johnson would of done wonders for a young QB (Fitz's replacement).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think picking a QB in this draft is worth it..... they'll reach for anyone they pick up
You said if the guys can get open it doesn't matter who's throwing the ball. That implies to me that the problem isn't the QB, it's the guys trying to get open.

QB is as far from a one year need as you can get. Is this a weak draft class? Sure, it is. Does that mean no quality QBs will end up coming out of it? Not at all. Having guys like Luck or RGIII (let alone both) was a rarity, nobody in this year's draft matches that but there is are a ton of guys I'd be more than comfortable grabbing in the 2nd round that could very well have starting potential. Unless they can get Smith (which I doubt), I'm 100% on board with taking a LB in the 1st. Then go QB in the 2nd round.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:10 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
A misfit that will fit in with the rest of the misfit toys on defense! Eh, why not...atleast he fits in I suppose!

Old
11-29-2012, 01:29 AM
dma0034

Quote:
You said if the guys can get open it doesn't matter who's throwing the ball. That implies to me that the problem isn't the QB, it's the guys trying to get open.

QB is as far from a one year need as you can get. Is this a weak draft class? Sure, it is. Does that mean no quality QBs will end up coming out of it? Not at all. Having guys like Luck or RGIII (let alone both) was a rarity, nobody in this year's draft matches that but there is are a ton of guys I'd be more than comfortable grabbing in the 2nd round that could very well have starting potential. Unless they can get Smith (which I doubt), I'm 100% on board with taking a LB in the 1st. Then go QB in the 2nd round.
Once again I never applied it to Buffalo's offense. So using your Fitzgerald argument.... his QB has 0 time to throw.... literally the worst line in all of football right now.

I'm saying you build your offense this year without the QB then draft one next year. People like to jump onto the we need to draft a QB wagon without realizing there are no good ones available.... unless you liked the Losman pick? If Buffalo picks up a QB before round 3 that isn't named Barkley or Smith it was a waste of a pick

Ofcourse McClain is a perfect fit for Buffalo.... a LB that can't stop the run seems like the player Buffalo really misses

Old
11-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Once again I never applied it to Buffalo's offense. So using your Fitzgerald argument.... his QB has 0 time to throw.... literally the worst line in all of football right now.

I'm saying you build your offense this year without the QB then draft one next year. People like to jump onto the we need to draft a QB wagon without realizing there are no good ones available.... unless you liked the Losman pick? If Buffalo picks up a QB before round 3 that isn't named Barkley or Smith it was a waste of a pick

Ofcourse McClain is a perfect fit for Buffalo.... a LB that can't stop the run seems like the player Buffalo really misses
Now you're just running in circles. We're talking about Buffalo's draft needs, you're talking about a WR that can open up things for Stevie and how with that, it wouldn't matter who's throwing them the ball. And I was out of line to assume you were applying that to the Bills offense?

Regardless, I'm all about the draft a LB in the 1st round (unless Smith makes it to us) and then a QB in the 2nd, or even 3rd if you like guys that will be slipping to that round. There seems to be a cluster of guys in that 2nd tier, it's possible that one or two fall farther down the draft board. If you wait until the 3rd to draft a QB, I'm looking CB or Safety in the 2nd round.

Closed Thread