Notices

NHL 13 & General Video Game Discussion Part Quatre

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 06:55 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
bad enough for Bozak to shake his cane at, apparently.

love Borderlands. way more replayability in single player than a normal fps.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Dee Oh Cee

vCash: 500
Let me just say right in the front I'm extremely biased. I owned an original Zune, always have had PCs (except for a brief stint with a Macbook, but that was 6 years ago - not that impressed btw), and now I currently own a windows phone. The ability to sync between pc, phone, and Xbox is something that is really cool and windows 8 allows that to be possible.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:58 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
I've been burried into FIFA 13 lately. You don't have to like soccer to enjoy that game. Probably going to pick up ACIII for Christmas break. Looks so sick.

Has anyone played the new Need For Speed?

Old
11-28-2012, 07:02 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i haven't but that's one game i have none of...drivers. Dirt 3 looked intriguing (when i win powerball, i'm going to pick up rally racing). Anyone have that?

Old
11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I have Forza Horizon and I really, really like it... So that about covers all three of the driving games out there, pretty much.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
11-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I like F1 2012 on PC so far. I wish I had a 360 so I could play Forza 4. It's that good.

And DiRT 3 is great.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:52 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

I'm thinking about a new Laptop and PC sometime in the next few months. I'm not going to allow the laptop to have Windows 8 on it, and the PC I build will have either 7 or Vista on it, most likely 7.

I am really hoping that Linux becomes a LOT more game friendly in the not too distant future because from what I have seen of Windows 8, Windows in general has finally started the rapid spiral down the **** hole as far as useability on the PC goes.

I mean, it looks like a FANTASTIC OS.... for tablets. PC's are not tablets.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:33 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I'm thinking about a new Laptop and PC sometime in the next few months. I'm not going to allow the laptop to have Windows 8 on it, and the PC I build will have either 7 or Vista on it, most likely 7.

I am really hoping that Linux becomes a LOT more game friendly in the not too distant future because from what I have seen of Windows 8, Windows in general has finally started the rapid spiral down the **** hole as far as useability on the PC goes.

I mean, it looks like a FANTASTIC OS.... for tablets. PC's are not tablets.
You should try and build your PC from parts. It's not hard, and you save a boatload of money plus it'll be much better and reliable than the stuff from the shop shelves. Another great thing is that you can optimize the parts exactly the way you want. If you value gaming performance, you can invest on a good GPU and save money in other parts.

I spent about 800e ($1050) on my rig in August, although I did have a 320GB HDD and a CD/DVD drive from my old PC, so I saved a bit of money on those. Basically, I bought the case, processor, motherboard, GPU, PSU, RAM and a couple of extra fans for cooling (which I still haven't hooked up as it runs just fine with a single fan thanks to the case). I also bought new keyboard and mouse, but didn't include those in the price as they are not directly related.

Specs:

Code:
Intel Core i3-2100, dual core @ 3.10ghz
nVidia GeForce GTX 560
8GB of RAM @1666mhz
320GB HDD
850W PSU
Fractal Design Define R4 case
And speaking of the case in question, if you can find it, buy it. Should cost around $100-120 and it's just awesome. Lots of space, very quiet and stays incredibly cool as well.

Oh, and did I mention it looks flat out awesome?

As for the laptop, are you looking for gaming performance or portability? Or both? What about the screen size?

And lastly, you'll want Windows 7. Vista is a steaming pile of cow dung.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
bad enough for Bozak to shake his cane at, apparently.

love Borderlands. way more replayability in single player than a normal fps.
It's the RPG factor. Seriously, driving numbers up and gaining new powers and weapons is addictive.

Although I will say after about 4-5 replays (including the second time you play through and restart the game with all your weapons and level) it gets old. But we're talking maybe 80-100 hours worth of play time...solid.

I'm a Mac guy now but I REALLY like Windows 7. The smart search and program launch integrated into the menu, Aero peek, general look and feel, stability, speed....it's a VERY good OS.

I tried Win 8 for a few months on my netbook. Once you got into the desktop it was okay, but the concept of having to "launch" the desktop made it feel like about 20 years backwards. Also the native apps wouldn't run due to the low resolution of the screen. It's made for tablets but can't handle 1024x600?

Also tried several versions of Linux on that machine. Mint was probably the best followed by Ubuntu. Both had problems where they'd lose my wi-fi and other drivers sporadically and Ubuntu kept locking up even off a fresh install. Still felt like amateur hour.

At some point I'm going to have to buy Win 7 because it won't let me install any version with the key it came with and I need to turn it into an iTunes server for my Apple TV.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Managed to reach Superstar 3 on my EASHL pro before 100 GP, but man, was it close. 99 right now, and just got it.

I've been playing D in almost every game. Finally starting to get the hang of it somewhat. I always had some clue, but now it's starting to click. Still a difficult position though.

Also, scored a slap shot from the point after someone actually gave me the pass. I never ask for passes (tap the ice), but when there's no room on the slot and I'm free on the point, I half expect them to pass to me. Never happens. Too bad, since my 95 slap shot power will usually do some damage.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:53 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
the PC I build will have either 7 or Vista on it, most likely 7
While I love dicking with the hardware, I hope that you have better luck with IRQ sequencing than I've ever had. on my current rig, it took me roughly three months to get the right sequence set up so that all of the hardware would load fast.

That is one of the things that is sort of pushing me back towards a Mac. I just don't want to dick with the hardware any more. Considering that the last time I operated on my PC, I took a sound card out with a random static shock, it just isn't worth my time any more...

I think another thing that pushed me to the "done" stage with PC building is all of the struggles I had with my plexi case. We have dogs and we do not clean every day, so a ton of dog hair and dust builds up in it...

Looked really neat for the first month, after having to mod the case with a dremel to get my video card to fit... However, now, I regret it because I look over there and within 24 hours of sucking all of the dust that has accumulated in there, it is full of dust again...

ps; Notice how I caught that you would build your PC on first reading?

edit. That is an old pic. I added another video card (same model). Swapped out the power supply, dropped in a 7.1 sound card, took the 7.1 sound card out because i static'd it while re-setting the hard drive set up to an SSD primary and a 2.5 storage.

Last edited by bozak911: 11-29-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old
11-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

I dislike EASHL with strangers because no one passes. Everyone plays hero hockey and tries to coast-to-coast it when the three or four other skaters on the ice are wide open.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I built a few PC's and never had hardware problems, even with overclocking (although sometimes I'd get re-starts when I pushed it too much).

I went Mac because after fixing computers with Geek Squad and messing with my own computers (plus my compulsive need to keep tinkering and upgrading) it simplified things.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
I dislike EASHL with strangers because no one passes. Everyone plays hero hockey and tries to coast-to-coast it when the three or four other skaters on the ice are wide open.
Yep, exactly. Or they go for the one-timer on the slot. Easiest thing to defend against, ever.

Have you noticed how in EASHL, there are sometimes teams that will simply kick your ass like 15-1, no matter what you do? Played against a couple of them with my team. It's unreal. We have a forward with 96 speed and he got comfortably outskated by their forward who had the puck, despite him being in full stamina as it was early in the period. Also, their sticks probably have some sort of glue or magnets in them. Poke checks rarely succeed, and if they do, they just get the puck back at full speed immediately afterwards.

Also, they can maneuver any way they like and pass through sticks and players blocking the pass/shot.

It's ****ing ridiculous. Our goalie/C hates it the most, but as I'm our DD, I ****ing hate it too.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
How do you guys deke on breakaways? I can't score anything. I have a better chance of pulling up and taking a ripper from the point.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
How do you guys deke on breakaways? I can't score anything. I have a better chance of pulling up and taking a ripper from the point.
Like this, for example. My go-to move is different, though:

Enter zone
Leg kick
Roll/move the puck in blade while moving forward and slightly right
Take it to backhand, close to the net
And quickly change to forehand and target either the 5-hole or above the pad.

My player is a lefty though, so if you play from right, just move forward and slightly left instead.

It's quite difficult to explain, so I'll try and get it recorded tomorrow. Sometimes I put a fake slap shot instead of the leg kick, works too.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
I've always wondered, does the goalie do anything on the leg kick? Every time I do it nothing seems to happen, so its usually months between times that I actually use it. Mostly, I forget the buttons there because I don't think it has an effect.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I've always wondered, does the goalie do anything on the leg kick? Every time I do it nothing seems to happen, so its usually months between times that I actually use it. Mostly, I forget the buttons there because I don't think it has an effect.
Flinches slightly, as he's anticipating a shot.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

www.humblebundle.com

I don't know if i'm allowed to promote something like this... but for you PC gamers humble bundle is offering a pay what you want for a large package of THQ games including Saints Row the The Third.

The current average payment is about 6 dollars the suggested amount is 25 dollars, well below the retail for the game alone. It's a good program that splits the money (at a percentage you choose) between the developer of the game, charity and to the humble bundle team.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:31 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

looks like a great deal. i'll buy as soon as i'm on my own laptop.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
www.humblebundle.com

I don't know if i'm allowed to promote something like this... but for you PC gamers humble bundle is offering a pay what you want for a large package of THQ games including Saints Row the The Third.

The current average payment is about 6 dollars the suggested amount is 25 dollars, well below the retail for the game alone. It's a good program that splits the money (at a percentage you choose) between the developer of the game, charity and to the humble bundle team.
Not to downplay charity, but THQ needs the money. They develop a lot of great games that don't sell extremely well. They are less than a year away from a likely bankruptcy, and need all the help they can get...

Old
11-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
Not to downplay charity, but THQ needs the money. They develop a lot of great games that don't sell extremely well. They are less than a year away from a likely bankruptcy, and need all the help they can get...
Yeah, usually the charity gets the lion's share of my percentage in these bundles, but I gave THQ the share they asked for because of this.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
You should try and build your PC from parts.

And lastly, you'll want Windows 7. Vista is a steaming pile of cow dung.
*cough*

Quote:
...and the PC I build...
I have NEVER owned a prefabricated PC. NEVER. I have owned 7 computers in my life. The first one was built by my mothers then current boyfriend while I assisted and learned how to do stuff like that, another 5 were built by myself, and the other one was a PC built by someone else that I got for ultra cheap to use as a server way back when I actually had stuff that would benefit from having a dedicated server.

My current PC' basic Specs:
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300
8 Gigs of RAM
1 TB Hard drive (2x500GB in RAID-0)
Whatever ATI Videocard was top of the line back in '09 when I built it
And the same keyboard, mouse, and monitors I've had for the past 6 years or so.

And yeah I was skeptical about Vista when I built this current rig, but it was either Vista 64 or XP 64 bit and Vista seemed like it was supported a lot better, so I went with that. I have not had any issues on it with this machine. The only real issue I ever had with Vista is that Microsoft was forcing manufacturers to put it on hardware that it had no business even trying to run on.

Like, for example, my current (and in dire need of replacement) laptop. It came with Vista on it. It had extremely low specs, and at the time I bought it that was fine, I was not going to be doing any kind of hard core gaming on it or anything, just mostly homework stuff. But Vista booted so damned slow on it that the first night I had it I literally nuked the partition and installed XP from scratch on it. Still has it. Ran GREAT after that, but it has been slowing down ever since thanks to applications getting more resource intensive over time, particularly browsers and anti-malware stuff. I hardly use my laptop now anymore, but I'm trying to go back to school sometime soon, so I will need something at least decent to do things with. And that means I either need to buy a new one, upgrade the current one with more ram and possibly a solid state drive, or nuke XP and put Linux on it.

So yeah... dont worry, if I do get a new computer this year, it will be built by hand, by myself. Just like every other one I have had in the past decade.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Goldshadow View Post
Like this, for example. My go-to move is different, though:

Enter zone
Leg kick
Roll/move the puck in blade while moving forward and slightly right
Take it to backhand, close to the net
And quickly change to forehand and target either the 5-hole or above the pad.

My player is a lefty though, so if you play from right, just move forward and slightly left instead.

It's quite difficult to explain, so I'll try and get it recorded tomorrow. Sometimes I put a fake slap shot instead of the leg kick, works too.
Here you go.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:10 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I have sat in the same room with this man, on the same panel, and had a hotly contested back and forth about the hypocrisy of some of his earlier articles. Between 1998 and 2001, I would track and save as all of his articles because I noticed a pattern of... deletion. He would post something and then 6 months later, post something that contradicted it, and would then go back and delete the old one.

If it were me (at the time, it was for a different site), I would go back and add a "retraction" to a previous article. As more and more mistakes were made and corrected in the wireless world, I would have to go back and add these sorts of retractions to previously inflammatory statements.

Neilsen never did that. He would just delete them.

His opinion of Windows 8 pretty much mirrors mine...

Quote:
The Roman god Janus; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; even Batman's arch-foe Two-Face — human culture is fascinated by duality. We can now add Windows 8 to this list. The product shows two faces to the user: a tablet-oriented Start screen and a PC-oriented desktop screen.
Unfortunately, having two environments on a single device is a prescription for usability problems for several reasons:
•Users have to learn and remember where to go for which features.
•When running web browsers in both device areas, users will only see (and be reminded of) a subset of their open web pages at any given time.
•Switching between environments increases the interaction cost of using multiple features.
•The two environments work differently, making for an inconsistent user experience.

Closed Thread