HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 08:48 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Is the guy making the decision really qualified?
Excellent question. I think the evidence to date has revealed the answer.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:17 AM
abootzky

vCash: 500
Enough with the endless doom & gloom. The 2 most successful GM's in Eskimo history were Norm Kimball and Hugh Campbell. For both of them the Esks' job was their first as a GM. Hervey's years as a scout compare favorably credential-wise to what Kimball brought to the table as coordinator of minor football or Campbell's years as a successful coach. As for Len Rhodes, he's not making this decision alone.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:50 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Enough with the endless doom & gloom. The 2 most successful GM's in Eskimo history were Norm Kimball and Hugh Campbell. For both of them the Esks' job was their first as a GM. Hervey's years as a scout compare favorably credential-wise to what Kimball brought to the table as coordinator of minor football or Campbell's years as a successful coach. As for Len Rhodes, he's not making this decision alone.
So who exactly is helping him? Kavis Reed?

Old
11-28-2012, 10:14 AM
joestevens29

Want to switch gears just a little to a similar situation to the Esks.

The Golden Bears need a new coach and while I know very little on the candidates I have to ask why does the guy who is picked need to have a decent corporate connection? I understand that they need someone to get corporate sponsorship, but can't that be apart of some one else's job?

Shouldn't they be hiring the best possible football guy for the job and if need be have another position for the corporate end?

Just seems like a mistake to pass up on the best possible football guy because he may or may not know anyone on the corporate side of things.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:55 AM
joestevens29

So what exactly happens with Glenn?

Old
11-28-2012, 11:09 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
So what exactly happens with Glenn?
As sad as it is to say, he's an upgrade on everyone we've got. Thx Tillman!

Old
11-28-2012, 12:38 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Want to switch gears just a little to a similar situation to the Esks.

The Golden Bears need a new coach and while I know very little on the candidates I have to ask why does the guy who is picked need to have a decent corporate connection? I understand that they need someone to get corporate sponsorship, but can't that be apart of some one else's job?

Shouldn't they be hiring the best possible football guy for the job and if need be have another position for the corporate end?

Just seems like a mistake to pass up on the best possible football guy because he may or may not know anyone on the corporate side of things.
Blake Dermott (former Golden Bears & Eskimos o-lineman, current high school coach and business owner) is a candidate who may fill the bill quite nicely.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
That's obviously a conflict of interest. Kavis is an applicat. Rhodes will be conducting this with those on his level or above him.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
That's obviously a conflict of interest. Kavis is an applicat. Rhodes will be conducting this with those on his level or above him.
Rhodes is not a football guy but is savvy enough to know that he needs to consult with people who are- not including candidates for the job. A bad GM hire (the 3rd in a row by this franchise) would kill his own job security.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:46 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Wasn't Rhodes quoted as saying something about how Kavis is going to be a huge part of this team going forward? I'd assume that Rhodes will be at the very least taking some advice from Reed on what to look for.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Wasn't Rhodes quoted as saying something about how Kavis is going to be a huge part of this team going forward? I'd assume that Rhodes will be at the very least taking some advice from Reed on what to look for.
If I read correctly Rhodes said if not the GM, Reed would be the coach. that's going to handcuff the incoming GM if he's forced to keep the current head coach without the option of going with his own choice.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Aren't Campbell and Hervey close?

If so, I wonder if Hugh Campbell would consider a senior advisor type role if Hervey got the GM gig.

11-28-2012, 02:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
If I read correctly Rhodes said if not the GM, Reed would be the coach. that's going to handcuff the incoming GM if he's forced to keep the current head coach without the option of going with his own choice.
And that probably scares away some guys. Everyone knows that the fans are on edge, is some GM going to take a job knowing he might have to waste a year on a coach he doesn't want?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Aren't Campbell and Hervey close?

If so, I wonder if Hugh Campbell would consider a senior advisor type role if Hervey got the GM gig.
I asked before about Campbell. Be nice to get him back in some sort of role.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:02 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I wonder if Hugh Campbell would consider a senior advisor type role if Hervey got the GM gig.
That would be great for Ed and the Eskimos but I wonder if Hugh would do it while his son Rick was still coaching with the Stampeders.

Old
11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
That would be great for Ed and the Eskimos but I wonder if Hugh would do it while his son Rick was still coaching with the Stampeders.
Nothing like stepping up and showing his son that he can still whoop his arse.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
He has only been a head scout for what...2 or 3 years? No Managerial experience in Football at all.

Is he really qualified?
He certainly has an eye for talent. He's found every single player on the team that's actually worth a damn (Sherritt) and he negotiated several contracts during Tillman's laughable tenure when Eric couldn't get a player to put pen to paper.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Rhodes was on with Jason Gregor today and broke down the GM search. He will lead an interview committee that includes representation from the board of directors and members of the Eskimo Alumni (former players). He also let on that longtime player personnel head Paul Jones is heavily involved as well.

Anyone with doubts about the seriousness and thoroughness of the search should listen to the podcast of Hour 4 of the Gregor show today available at theteam1260.com. Jason asked excellent questions and Rhodes gave intelligent/reassuring answers. Check it out.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:21 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Rhodes was on with Jason Gregor today and broke down the GM search. He will lead an interview committee that includes representation from the board of directors and members of the Eskimo Alumni (former players). He also let on that longtime player personnel head Paul Jones is heavily involved as well.

Anyone with doubts about the seriousness and thoroughness of the search should listen to the podcast of Hour 4 of the Gregor show today available at theteam1260.com. Jason asked excellent questions and Rhodes gave intelligent/reassuring answers. Check it out.
This really isn't reassuring. Directors that know little about the game and alumni that have no jobs in the game for a reason.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:08 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
This really isn't reassuring. Directors that know little about the game and alumni that have no jobs in the game for a reason.
On the other hand, the directors know business and how to hire top-level personnel, and the former players know football and the Eskimo way.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:09 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
On the other hand, the directors know business and how to hire top-level personnel, and the former players know football and the Eskimo way.
Kinda like when they hired Tillman?

Old
11-29-2012, 09:27 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Kinda like when they hired Tillman?
This process is different than when Tillman was hired.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:46 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
This process is different than when Tillman was hired.
Thats interesting...why would it be different?

Old
11-29-2012, 10:13 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Thats interesting...why would it be different?
Need to hire the right guy this time.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:08 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Need to hire the right guy this time.
For sure. Clearly Rhodes screwed up with the Tillman hire so now they are limiting his involvement?
If thats true then I'd be curious to know what the process is and who is involved. Are there football people that are involved or is it a committee of non-football people that is making this decision?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of clarity and consequently its tough to feel confident that the due diligence will be done and correct decision will be made.

I would really like to know what is different this time and why Eskimo fans should accept that the current process to hire a GM is an improvement over the last process.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
For sure. Clearly Rhodes screwed up with the Tillman hire so now they are limiting his involvement?
If thats true then I'd be curious to know what the process is and who is involved. Are there football people that are involved or is it a committee of non-football people that is making this decision?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of clarity and consequently its tough to feel confident that the due diligence will be done and correct decision will be made.

I would really like to know what is different this time and why Eskimo fans should accept that the current process to hire a GM is an improvement over the last process.
Rhodes did not hire Tillman though. Rick LeLacheur hired him. Rhodes took over as CEO after the fact. LeLacheur was also responsible for promoting Danny Macciocia to head of football operations. His legacy runs deep.

Closed Thread