HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hans Tavares to SC Bern

Old
11-29-2012, 09:29 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
He is on a line with Patrik Kane.
And JT is on a line with Byron Ritchie

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:31 AM
luki here

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Seguin has more points? Somehow I have trouble believing that
I dont see why that is hard to believe at all. Seguin has significantly better skating, a great shot and is a more one dimensional scorer.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
I dont see why that is hard to believe at all. Seguin has significantly better skating, a great shot and is a more one dimensional scorer.
I don't see why we're worried about Tavares vs Seguin stats in the Swiss Leagues.

All I can say is that looking at those highlights, his new teammates must absolutely LOVE playing with John Tavares.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:45 AM
WeberStreit

Seguin does also have more points than Spezza, Zetterberg, Bergeron, Thornton, Nash, Couture and Kane. So, he's way better than all of them.

Tavares is doing fine over here. Don't worry.

WeberStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
He is on a line with Patrik Kane.
Well, that explains it. Tavares would be lighting it up even more if he had an NHL all star on his wing.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:48 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberStreit View Post
Seguin does also have more points than Spezza, Zetterberg, Bergeron, Thornton, Nash, Couture and Kane. So, he's way better than all of them.

Tavares is doing fine over here. Don't worry.
Exactly.

I can tell the lockout is really affecting us as fans. Because there's no on ice action to discuss, we're debating Tavares' points overseas and revamping the Isles jersey to reflect Brooklyn...All unimportant stuff.

If anything lets focus on our prospects who are currently playing in the respective leagues they should be playing in to increase the odds of them developing fully. If there's any benefit to the lockout, taking away Wang/Snow's ability to rush our 20 year olds into the NHL, that is it.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:56 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Streit played really good during his stint here. But he still is getting a lot of critisism from the fans. They are really hard with their hometown boy. Tavares on the other hand, is already fan favorite #1. His jerseys were sold out for quite some time.

Highlights of the last game.

Tavares with a nice goal (was the GW):
http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index.php/1...sset_id=135525
Hey, any chance I could get you to buy me a jersey if I paypal you the cash? When they are back in stock of course. Let me know that would be awesome!! Paying for everything of course, shipping and packaging whatever you need...

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:58 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Kevin Stevens was a tough Parenteau. Tavares plays more like Lemieux than Stevens. I'd say you should look at Dale Hawerchuk as a comparison. Tough when needed to be, not the fastest but always where he should be and he can score easily and in timely fashion, a solid leader and a damned fine hockey player (which is different from scoring points).
I will second the Hawerchuck comparison...although I think Hawerchuck and Stevens are both pretty similar players but Hawerchuk was more prolific so your comparison is a little bit better than mine. Regardless we agree on the skillset.

I think the comparisons to Turgeon and Lafontaine are way off based on skating. JT is a much improved skater and above average in my opinion, don't get me wrong. He is nowhere near the agility level that Turgeon and Lafontaine showed though.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:47 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I will second the Hawerchuck comparison...although I think Hawerchuck and Stevens are both pretty similar players but Hawerchuk was more prolific so your comparison is a little bit better than mine. Regardless we agree on the skillset.

I think the comparisons to Turgeon and Lafontaine are way off based on skating. JT is a much improved skater and above average in my opinion, don't get me wrong. He is nowhere near the agility level that Turgeon and Lafontaine showed though.
I think Lafontaine was a much better skater than both Turgeon and Tavares. I always hated the lack of fire in Turgeon's game (except for that ONE season) and always hoped he'd become a better leader for a team that needed it. But it just wasn't in his nature.

I don't like comparisons, so no further comment.

Separately, I wouldn't read too much into stats that NHL players produce in Europe. Different leagues, different games, rink sizes, level of competition, each player there under different circumstances.

Is anyone shocked that Tavares can produce without Moulson and Parenteau on his wings?
Is anyone shocked that some of these Swiss players, on JTs line, are having statistically strong seasons?

Selfishly, for Isles fans, let's be thankful that Tavares looks like his game is still evolving. And as periferal said, be thankful that our young prospects are playing where they should be playing, for a change. This includes Cizikas, Ullstrom, Nino, Strome, Nelson, deHaan (pre-injury), Donovan, Kabanov (pre-injury), Reinhart.

Last edited by redbull: 11-29-2012 at 10:44 PM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:14 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post

if there is a part of JT's skating that is his best i would say it is agility

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:17 PM
scott99

Can't wait till JT is back in North America playing for the Isles.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:21 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Who is this Hans Tavares?

Is he the younger brother of superstar Jans Tavares?

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:25 PM
redbull
game on

another goal and two assists for Tavares. Now 28pts in 18 games, I think that's 2nd in the league in Pts/game. It would be funny if he won the scoring championship in Switzerland.

Plus the team is on fire and his linemates are having career years. I'm disappointed that Boyes wasn't smart enough to follow him to Europe. Oh well.

Old
12-01-2012, 05:52 AM
chadwilliams

goals:

http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index.php/1...=135884&page=1

chadwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 05:57 AM
chadwilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
and his linemates are having career years
that may be true for ritchie. vermin on the other hand is only 20 yeras old. i think he still has some potential left.

chadwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:56 AM
chokei

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwilliams View Post
that may be true for ritchie. vermin on the other hand is only 20 yeras old. i think he still has some potential left.
Vermin has been a promising Swiss forward prospect for some years now, he was also a part of recent Swiss WJC teams. He may not be NHL material but he has the potential to be one of the better forwards in the NLA and to have a successful career in that league.

He has been progressing steadily with Bern and is having a good season so far, but he also had 20 points in 33 games last season, so right now he is actually below last years ppg. He is definitely not a product of Tavares' presence alone.

Concerning the level of play in the NLA in general I want to mention that the Swiss top teams have been very competitive in recent years when it came to international tournaments. Our teams are not much worse than teams from SEL or SM-Liiga, so Tavares is not playing in some bush league as some might think. But there is a drop-off in talent in every league and the Blue Jackets also weren't exactly the Flyers or Rangers last season.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:16 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Concerning the level of play in the NLA in general I want to mention that the Swiss top teams have been very competitive in recent years when it came to international tournaments. Our teams are not much worse than teams from SEL or SM-Liiga, so Tavares is not playing in some bush league as some might think. But there is a drop-off in talent in every league and the Blue Jackets also weren't exactly the Flyers or Rangers last season.
Ultimately, it's great that Hans is actually playing hockey and performing well. It's a chance to get accustomed to play on the big ice surface which will help him in Sochi (yes, I think he's a lock for Team Canada). It's just building information in his database which will only lead to good things going forward. I think he's in a great situation over there considering the lockout.

BTW, I loved his assist on the first goal when watching the highlights - springing his linemate for a breakaway. He also has a really underrated backhand. He always has when I think back. It's not Frans' Backhand of Justice, but it's sneaky good.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 02:45 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Ultimately, it's great that Hans is actually playing hockey and performing well. It's a chance to get accustomed to play on the big ice surface which will help him in Sochi (yes, I think he's a lock for Team Canada). It's just building information in his database which will only lead to good things going forward. I think he's in a great situation over there considering the lockout.

BTW, I loved his assist on the first goal when watching the highlights - springing his linemate for a breakaway. He also has a really underrated backhand. He always has when I think back. It's not Frans' Backhand of Justice, but it's sneaky good.
Now that you mention it...

This is my favorite Tavares goal in an Islander jersey.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:15 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Now that you mention it...

This is my favorite Tavares goal in an Islander jersey.

That's one of my favorite JT goals as well!

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 03:54 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
another goal and two assists for Tavares. Now 28pts in 18 games, I think that's 2nd in the league in Pts/game. It would be funny if he won the scoring championship in Switzerland.

Plus the team is on fire and his linemates are having career years. I'm disappointed that Boyes wasn't smart enough to follow him to Europe. Oh well.
Kinda like Moulson and PAP....

What a coincidence

not better for a player not even in the top 25 25 years or younger...

One of te best assets a hockey player can have is the ability to elevate his teamates game....JT does that

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Isles Junkie

Hans is so great. They're replaying a random NYI v Buffalo game on MSG right now and it's just so awesome to see how great Hans is.

Fast Forward to 11:30 and watch the play. That's Okposo in the corner who gets it out to Moulson & JT is behind the net & then goes to retrieve the puck. He makes 2 awesome plays on this 1 goal. 2 short little passes to keep the play alive. His hockey IQ is off the charts. I was surprised I was able to find it so easily on YT.

and just for fun here's a top 10 assist video that JT is on...twice

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 12-04-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:00 AM
WeberStreit

After one goal and one assist in yesterdays game, Tavares now has the golden helmet! Although I don't think he can enjoy it for a long time, since the lockout seems to come to an end...

Highlights:
http://www.bluewin.ch/de/index.php/1...=136253&page=1

His goal was a thing of a beauty.

WeberStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 02:32 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
if there is a part of JT's skating that is his best i would say it is agility
Personally i think his strength (+stability) on his skates is his strongest suit. His top speed was improved, as well as his acceleration. I actually think his agility is still a weakness and will probably remain to be one.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:45 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:
After one goal and one assist in yesterdays game, Tavares now has the golden helmet! Although I don't think he can enjoy it for a long time, since the lockout seems to come to an end...

Highlights:

He's ours. Give him back please Thanks for all the updates and links.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 10:44 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
Personally i think his strength (+stability) on his skates is his strongest suit. His top speed was improved, as well as his acceleration. I actually think his agility is still a weakness and will probably remain to be one.
agree with this.

key difference is how much his strength has improved since his rookie year. His ability to protect the puck and make plays from nothing is unparalleled, among the best in the NHL IMO, especially why you combine that will his vision.

Although he has speed now, he's hasn't developed a great off-the-rush game (like Crosby, Malkin, Ovi, Kovy, for example). Datsyuk is a player who can do BOTH really well, dangle in open ice and be deadly and just as effective down low with incredible strength on the puck. Datsyuk has great agility and that's what JT doesn't have.

The best part of JT's game is that he's essentially unstoppable. He will get points no matter what because those types of goals are impossible to stop. Where Ovi struggles (recently) is on those highlight reel goals, those can be defended. A close to home example is Grabner, the breakway king. Not reliably a part of one's game (though, in his case, he gets hundreds of them)

Quote:

Highlights:

Thanks for the post. That sure was a thing of beauty. That half-spin power move is somewhat of a signature move by JT. He's done that a lot, both in Switzerland and in the NHL, sometimes on passes (like the earlier vid by IslesJunkie - you're welcome Moulson & Parenteau) and on shots.