HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 09:10 PM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
If I am frustrated at my job for 5-6 months does that give me the right to walk out? No it doesn't.
Why not? Anybody has the right to leave their job if it isn't what they expected it to be. There may be ramifications, especially if you have a contract, but you have that right. I would prefer that people honour their agreements, but I think we too often forget that these are young men, most of whom will not play professional hockey. If they are coming to that realization as an OA and want a better situation I can understand that.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:18 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Why not? Anybody has the right to leave their job if it isn't what they expected it to be. There may be ramifications, especially if you have a contract, but you have that right. I would prefer that people honour their agreements, but I think we too often forget that these are young men, most of whom will not play professional hockey. If they are coming to that realization as an OA and want a better situation I can understand that.
I am speaking of having a responsibility to people you work with that's why it's not proper to leave a job. Yes they are young men but for the most part there are only 3-4 teams in any league that has a shot at winning a championship and at the end of the day only 20+ players can win it. I get it somebody wants to be on a winning but bailing on a team when they are near the top of their division is weak sauce.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Windsor Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I am speaking of having a responsibility to people you work with that's why it's not proper to leave a job. Yes they are young men but for the most part there are only 3-4 teams in any league that has a shot at winning a championship and at the end of the day only 20+ players can win it. I get it somebody wants to be on a winning but bailing on a team when they are near the top of their division is weak sauce.
Rayzor would you prefer to bail on a team not near the top ?
That would strike me more as sour grapes. Leaving when the team is winning is a sign of deep unhappiness - whatever its cause.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:38 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
You said it there are stories and that's where it begins and ends. Nobody knows if it's true or not. As of now Hottot is the only one that walked out.
When people with knowledge say there are issues, I tend to believe them. While Hottot is the only one who has walked out, it's quite possible there are more ready to do so.

Quote:
I truly believe that it's a privilege and not a right to just play in the OHL. Nobody is shedding any tears for Hottot walking out and it's next man up because that's the nature of things. I wonder how Hottot would like it if he got dealt to Erie or Peterborough?
How do you know nobody is upset that Hottot walked out? While it's a privilege to be in the OHL, players have rights and emotions, too. If someone isn't liking their situation, they're not going to say "I can't complain. I must carry on."

Quote:
The difference between Schoenmakers and trust me I think him not wanting to play in Peterborough is defensible but at the same time it's a selfish move and only looking at himself. Schoenmakers got traded and Hottot walked out that's a big difference.
I think, at some point, a player has to look at himself and not the team. If you're an OA and you're dealt to a team that's struggling to even make the playoffs, are you going to automatically head to that team? No, you're going to weigh your option. Look at Brent Sullivan. He was dealt from Sarnia to Windsor, then to SSM. He didn't dress for SSM and went to school instead. Nobody blinked.

What Schoenmakers did was similar to what Hottot did. He refused to play for the team. It shouldn't matter whether it was because he was dealt and didn't like the situation, or he was there already and didn't like it. Frankly, I respect him for doing what he did. It takes courage to do that and Peterborough failed in doing their homework.

Quote:
Again, do you know what the situation is in Sarnia? Maybe getting out was the best thing for Hottot. If a player walks out on a team that's succeeding on the ice, doesn't that say something about what's happening behind the scenes? For instance...if Max Domi suddenly left the Knights tomorrow, would you say "Domi is an idiot for walking out", or, "Why did he do that? What's going on that we don't know about?" I'd pick the latter.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Spitsfan67*

Please can we stop talking about Sarnia and there disgruntled player, I mean who really cares warren more then likely won't go after him and if he does then you can spark up this conversation... Who cares about Hottot if rychel went after him I'm sure he would do his homework before acquiring him.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:05 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Please can we stop talking about Sarnia and there disgruntled player, I mean who really cares warren more then likely won't go after him and if he does then you can spark up this conversation... Who cares about Hottot if rychel went after him I'm sure he would do his homework before acquiring him.
Plus 1

Old
11-27-2012, 11:06 PM
krazy kanuck

delete - fair enough. But I wouldn't be surprised to see WR make a move on him. On the ice, his type of guy.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:42 PM
jughead42

So if Sheldon Kennedy walked out on his junior team and went home to wait for a trade, he'd still be a bad seed in your eyes Rayzor? It's pointless to attack Hottot's worthiness as a player without knowing the circumstances behind his leaving. As usual your logic is quite a spectacle to behold. While I agree that walking out on your team CAN be an indication of poor character, it's not always going to be in every case.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:51 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
So if Sheldon Kennedy walked out on his junior team and went home to wait for a trade, he'd still be a bad seed in your eyes Rayzor? It's pointless to attack Hottot's worthiness as a player without knowing the circumstances behind his leaving. As usual your logic is quite a spectacle to behold. While I agree that walking out on your team CAN be an indication of poor character, it's not always going to be in every case.
No your example that would be worthy. I just don't get the outrage of some bit player walking out is, yes I am guility of talking about it but as I said he's an OA he should be making an example for younger players. If it was a Galchenyuk, Boucher, Murphy, Basso, DeAngelo, Sarault, Goldobin, Duininck, Anderson walking out that would catch my eye more. Hottot walking out in Sarnia would be like Emerson Clark walking out in Windsor, I doubt anybody would shed a tear except OHLTG.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:01 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Why does it matter if we talk about it or not?

Quote:
Hottot walking out in Sarnia would be like Emerson Clark walking out in Windsor, I doubt anybody would shed a tear except OHLTG.
They're not even close to the same. Hottot has 170 games with them in 4-years. Clark has 25 games with us in a half-season. If you want a comparison, think of Posa walking out on the Spitfires. That'd surprise me and make me wonder what's going on. As for Clark...I'm neutral on it.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:05 AM
spits2timechamps

I would think that it would feel like when Wallace walked out or when Jansen was traded. Those type of players always become fan favourites no matter how long they have been on the team. MOST people would be suprised and miss the players then IF they find a suitable they we kind of forget about them until one of their fights gets brought up lol

Old
11-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
What a ridiculous comparison. Yeah, Hottot is leaving Sarnia because he is being sexually abused.

Absurd.

Why not go full Godwin and compare the Sarnia coach to Hitler?

Old
11-28-2012, 09:25 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Why does it matter if we talk about it or not?

They're not even close to the same. Hottot has 170 games with them in 4-years. Clark has 25 games with us in a half-season. If you want a comparison, think of Posa walking out on the Spitfires. That'd surprise me and make me wonder what's going on. As for Clark...I'm neutral on it.
Talk at the Sarnia arena with other sting fans is that no one is upset with Hottot. He provided some good grit the last few years but has done nothing this year at all.He has been standing around waiting for his linemates to do the work.Whether he is having coach issues or not,the other players see his work ethic and the Jocko was giving him too much ice time.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:23 AM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
What a ridiculous comparison. Yeah, Hottot is leaving Sarnia because he is being sexually abused.

Absurd.

Why not go full Godwin and compare the Sarnia coach to Hitler?
Use your noodle a bit more Otto, I never suggested this at all. You're making all kinds of leaps and assumptions here. I only used Kennedy as an example to show that not all players who might leave the team are doing so because of their poor character. I never suggested anything of the sort about Hottot being molested, that's a dot you connected yourself. Durp.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:28 PM
RayzorIsDull

Sanvido gone for 5 games, he will be back next week I guess.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Spitsfan191

Patrick King ‏@SNPatrickKing

Huge sanctions against the Portland Winterhawks today. Mike Johnston suspended for the balance of the season.

seems like we have company

Team is fined $200,000, forfeits first five rounds of next bantam draft, and 1st round picks in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:30 PM
scokan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan191 View Post

Huge sanctions against the Portland Winterhawks today. Mike Johnston suspended for the balance of the season.

seems like we have company

Team is fined $200,000, forfeits first five rounds of next bantam draft, and 1st round picks in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
yikes!
further more looking into the story more, how come we cant get into specifics like the WHL. Atleast they release a statment telling everyone exactly what they did..

The Winterhawks were found to have committed the following violations:

• A player contract signed in 2009, involving flights for the player’s family and a summer training program
• Over the last five years, seven families were provided flights 2-4 times per season based on financial need and their distance from Portland
• Twice in the last five years the team paid for two players to each have a one-week summer training regimen
• The Winterhawks provided a cell phone for its team captain for a period of three seasons

-- http://www.winterhawks.com/article/w...ons-suspension

the beat goes on...

Old
11-28-2012, 04:37 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokan View Post
yikes!
further more looking into the story more, how come we cant get into specifics like the WHL. Atleast they release a statment telling everyone exactly what they did..

The Winterhawks were found to have committed the following violations:

• A player contract signed in 2009, involving flights for the player’s family and a summer training program
• Over the last five years, seven families were provided flights 2-4 times per season based on financial need and their distance from Portland
• Twice in the last five years the team paid for two players to each have a one-week summer training regimen
• The Winterhawks provided a cell phone for its team captain for a period of three seasons

-- http://www.winterhawks.com/article/w...ons-suspension

the beat goes on...
Next thing you know the owner is going to buy dinner for a couple players.

Portland can come out and say what they were accused of the owner is a billionaire and he will appeal this. The organization has put the pressure on the WHL now which is smart. Unfortunately in Windsor Boughner/Rychel don't have the clout to fight the OHL, they have a lot of money but can't put up the fight like a billionaire can.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Ottomatic

So the players families pay to work with Joey Garland over the summer when they stay in Windsor? If you stay with your billet does the players family have to work out an arrangement?

If those are the only infractions it's silliness. Especially in the WHL where they have a pretty vast expanse to travel. Parents should have to make a 20 hour one way drive to see their 16-17 yr old kid during the season?

Didn't the Spits pay for the Nishi family to go on a vacation to thank them for all the driving up and down the 401 to have Nishi back-up for us - same day trips, drive Nishi to Windsor from Toronto to back-up, and then drive back home after the game?

CHL is shooting themselves in the foot with this ridiculousness. All the more reason to have your son go the NCAA scholarship route.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:07 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
So the players families pay to work with Joey Garland over the summer when they stay in Windsor? If you stay with your billet does the players family have to work out an arrangement?

If those are the only infractions it's silliness. Especially in the WHL where they have a pretty vast expanse to travel. Parents should have to make a 20 hour one way drive to see their 16-17 yr old kid during the season?

Didn't the Spits pay for the Nishi family to go on a vacation to thank them for all the driving up and down the 401 to have Nishi back-up for us - same day trips, drive Nishi to Windsor from Toronto to back-up, and then drive back home after the game?

CHL is shooting themselves in the foot with this ridiculousness. All the more reason to have your son go the NCAA scholarship route.
Couldn't agree more. Like you said WHL travel is expensive and grueling. I can't blame the owner if he had the money and wanted to fly the parents in. From my understanding some of these were recruiting trips up to Portland, well sorry to disappoint Mr. Robison the WHL commissioner in the NCAA teams the athletic departments are allowed to pay for the kids official visits and that includes cross country flights. If the league won't allow teams to pay for flights then he's doing a disservice to his league. CHL can continue to cut off their nose to spite their face and the NCAA will clean up in the process.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:43 PM
spitz fan 4ever

congrats to nick czinder for 1st point in 18 games....he wasnt that bad his 1st year here

Old
11-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Hawks3

Thats rediculous if a team has the cash flow to help these families see their sons, big deal. This stupidness has Branch all over it again. Branch and Betman should take a one way trip to Afghanastan where there is no ice.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Sec108

If you take the last few years, you mean only two teams in the whole CHL have done anything deemed naughty???? Yeah sure and Ive got some swamp land for sale.

Branch is just an idiot YesMan to the politically correct crowd.and he's doing a great job for them.

If I was WR/Bougie I wouldnt even bid for the Cup and give Branch the finger.But a little part of me wants to see hundreds of fans with Branch SUXX signs and chanting also when he presents the Cup to who ever wins it broadcast across NA.That would be pure satisfaction for me.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
If you take the last few years, you mean only two teams in the whole CHL have done anything deemed naughty???? Yeah sure and Ive got some swamp land for sale.

Branch is just an idiot YesMan to the politically correct crowd.and he's doing a great job for them.

If I was WR/Bougie I wouldnt even bid for the Cup and give Branch the finger.But a little part of me wants to see hundreds of fans with Branch SUXX signs and chanting also when he presents the Cup to who ever wins it broadcast across NA.That would be pure satisfaction for me.
I Wonder if Branch is afraid to come to the WFCU, if i was him id sure be...better have some earmuffs on because he will be getting boooooooooed the entire time hes in the sight of the fans

Old
11-29-2012, 11:07 AM
aresknights

Quote:
And employed by the owners. A yes man to the board of directors (the owners) and they must feel hes doing at lest a good job for them.

Im not a big fan of Branch and often am left confused by what seems like inconsistencies in dealing with league issues but if the owners agreed with all us, hed be gone long ago.

Closed Thread