HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Greatest Leafs of All Time

Old
11-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Federko

vCash: 500
The Greatest Leafs of All Time

I thought this was a fun article that's posted on Sportsnet page right now:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/the_g..._ranking_poll/

I just voted! Would be cool to see what everyone thinks...I'm also interested to see if younger Leaf fans will vote for Sundin as number one...or not.... You get to pick 10 Leaf all stars.... and place them from 1 - 10. It's pretty fun. And yes I did vote for Vaive..but not as my number one pick...

"Defeat did not rest lightly on their shoulders."

Those are the words of Major Conn Smythe, founder of the Toronto Maple Leafs, that were displayed prominently in the team locker room at Maple Leaf Gardens.

For decades, players who pulled on the iconic sweater had those words -- along with the hopes and pressures of hockey's biggest market -- hanging over them before stepping onto the ice each night. Through 95 years and 13 Stanley Cups as the Maple Leafs, St. Patricks and Arenas, some of the NHL's best players suited up for this storied franchise.

But, who is the greatest Leaf of all?

Sportsnet magazine has enlisted nine hockey men -- Scott Morrison, Frank Orr, Gare Joyce, Damien Cox, Jeff Marek, Gord Stellick, Jim Gregory, Ernie Fitzsimmons and Jim Kernaghan -- to rank and bring to life the 30 greatest Maple Leafs of all time. The special edition magazine is on newsstands now (order here).

Without revealing which player was ranked No. 1 by our panel of experts, we ask you the hockey fans to go through the players below (click on names for career statistics) and list your Top 10 Maple Leafs. We'll reveal our readers' list on Friday, Nov. 30.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
I thought this was a fun article that's posted on Sportsnet page right now:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/the_g..._ranking_poll/

I just voted! Would be cool to see what everyone thinks...I'm also interested to see if younger Leaf fans will vote for Sundin as number one...or not.... You get to pick 10 Leaf all stars.... and place them from 1 - 10. It's pretty fun. And yes I did vote for Vaive..but not as my number one pick...

"Defeat did not rest lightly on their shoulders."

Those are the words of Major Conn Smythe, founder of the Toronto Maple Leafs, that were displayed prominently in the team locker room at Maple Leaf Gardens.

For decades, players who pulled on the iconic sweater had those words -- along with the hopes and pressures of hockey's biggest market -- hanging over them before stepping onto the ice each night. Through 95 years and 13 Stanley Cups as the Maple Leafs, St. Patricks and Arenas, some of the NHL's best players suited up for this storied franchise.

But, who is the greatest Leaf of all?

Sportsnet magazine has enlisted nine hockey men -- Scott Morrison, Frank Orr, Gare Joyce, Damien Cox, Jeff Marek, Gord Stellick, Jim Gregory, Ernie Fitzsimmons and Jim Kernaghan -- to rank and bring to life the 30 greatest Maple Leafs of all time. The special edition magazine is on newsstands now (order here).

Without revealing which player was ranked No. 1 by our panel of experts, we ask you the hockey fans to go through the players below (click on names for career statistics) and list your Top 10 Maple Leafs. We'll reveal our readers' list on Friday, Nov. 30.
I've got the issue. Could list the top 10 if there were people that were interested, unless there are some that want to wait.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:11 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post
I've got the issue. Could list the top 10 if there were people that were interested, unless there are some that want to wait.
Do it.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Maple Leafs Top 100

Prolific hockey writer Mike Leonetti set out to answer one of the most difficult questions in all of hockey.

Who is the greatest Toronto Maple Leaf of all time?

If you were to ask 14 different people you'd come up with 14 different answers. Well that's exactly what Leonetti did for his latest book project Maple Leafs Top 100: Toronto's Greatest Players Of All Time. Leonetti asked a jury of Mark Askin, Howard Berger, Joe Bowen, Milt Dunnell, Doug Farraway, Paul Hendrick, Lance Hornby, Harry Neale, Frank Orr, Paul Patskou, Frank Selke, Bill Watters, co-author John Iaboni and himself to determine a definitive list of the top 100 players in Maple Leafs history.

Well the panel of experts narrowed it down, and I have to say I'm highly impressed with the results, or at least the top end. The panel's voting identifies Dave Keon as the greatest of the Maple Leafs, with Teeder Kennedy, Syl Apps, Frank Mahovlich, Darryl Sittler, Charlie Conacher, Johnny Bower, Tim Horton, Turk Broda and Borje Salming rounding out the top 10.
I have this book and its a great read for all you diehard Leaf fans enthusiasts out there as it includes full write-ups and story lines of all their TOP 100 Leafs of all time as determined by this panel in this book.

11-29-2012, 11:36 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

I have this book and its a great read for all you diehard Leaf fans enthusiasts out there as it includes full write-ups and story lines of all their TOP 100 Leafs of all time as determined by this panel in this book.
What no Dougie? Very glad Borje Salming makes the cut. Top 3 for me.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Not sure who I'd drop off that list to fit Dougie in. It was only 5.5 years with us. I'm more inclined to wonder who I'd drop to get Sundin into the top ten, and again, I'm not sure about it.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
FWIW

Dougie is ranked #14 in this book with Red Kelly, Mats Sundin and George Armstrong between him and the top 10.

Dougie Gilmour being Leafs all-time playoff points leader and doing that in an era where many of us got to see every single playoff point does earn Killer a special place in Leaf fans hearts.

He would be in my personal top 10 as a result, but that based on only reading about our former legends Apps, Kennedy, Conacher etc in books and not having the honour nor privilege to see them play as Maple Leafs of our storied past.

What always strikes home when these types of things are done is that essentially from post original 6 expansion in 1967 only 4 Maple Leafs Sittler, Salming, Gilmour and Sundin would warrant consideration for this type of recognition.. Sadly that speaks to the Cup drought as the longest in the NHL based purely on the lack of Stars this organization has been able to obtain in the past +45 years.

If not for Cliff Fletcher bringing Leaf Nation Dougie and Mats we would have to go back to the 1970's of Sittler and Salming, which really speaks to the past 30 years. I'd hate to even imagine what those decades would have been like as a Leaf fan without Gimour and Sundin.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
Not sure who I'd drop off that list to fit Dougie in. It was only 5.5 years with us. I'm more inclined to wonder who I'd drop to get Sundin into the top ten, and again, I'm not sure about it.
When I think of the Dougie years I remember how secondary Sundin was.... so to me personally, there is more value in Dougie, Wendy, Andreychuk (50 goals as a Leaf), even Vaive (3 50 goal seasons as our captain - I wonder what Sundin could do with such a horrid line up like Ricky had to deal with back in the 80s...)

Old
11-29-2012, 01:59 PM
Federko

Quote:
FWIW

Dougie is ranked #14 in this book with Red Kelly, Mats Sundin and George Armstrong between him and the top 10.

Dougie Gilmour being Leafs all-time playoff points leader and doing that in an era where many of us got to see every single playoff point does earn Killer a special place in Leaf fans hearts.

He would be in my personal top 10 as a result, but that based on only reading about our former legends Apps, Kennedy, Conacher etc in books and not having the honour nor privilege to see them play as Maple Leafs of our storied past.

What always strikes home when these types of things are done is that essentially from post original 6 expansion in 1967 only 4 Maple Leafs Sittler, Salming, Gilmour and Sundin would warrant consideration for this type of recognition.. Sadly that speaks to the Cup drought as the longest in the NHL based purely on the lack of Stars this organization has been able to obtain in the past +45 years.

If not for Cliff Fletcher bringing Leaf Nation Dougie and Mats we would have to go back to the 1970's of Sittler and Salming, which really speaks to the past 30 years. I'd hate to even imagine what those decades would have been like as a Leaf fan without Gimour and Sundin.
I disagree. Guys like Vaive, Clark, Thomas, Courtnall were all pretty impactful stars of the 80s..... you're dismissing Vaive a three time 50 goal scorer ... ya the teams in the 80s sucked, but it just shows how talented some of these guys really are--and what they were able to achieve on such bad teams. Even Wregget and Iafrate....the underrated Todd Gill were exciting to watch. I remember the late 80s, the playoff runs we had, and the impact some of these players had.... it was great.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:13 PM
fahad203

Quote:
I disagree. Guys like Vaive, Clark, Thomas, Courtnall were all pretty impactful stars of the 80s..... you're dismissing Vaive a three time 50 goal scorer ... ya the teams in the 80s sucked, but it just shows how talented some of these guys really are--and what they were able to achieve on such bad teams. Even Wregget and Iafrate....the underrated Todd Gill were exciting to watch. I remember the late 80s, the playoff runs we had, and the impact some of these players had.... it was great.

You forgot Gary Leeman

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
You forgot Gary Leeman
Ya 51 goals...so glad he over achieved that year so Calgary was dumb enough to trade Gilmour for him!

Old
11-29-2012, 08:07 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
When I think of the Dougie years I remember how secondary Sundin was.... so to me personally, there is more value in Dougie, Wendy, Andreychuk (50 goals as a Leaf), even Vaive (3 50 goal seasons as our captain - I wonder what Sundin could do with such a horrid line up like Ricky had to deal with back in the 80s...)
That is just so wrong.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Or the horrid goaltending and defensive structure.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Cool Beans Man

Oh and:

30 - Harry Lumley
29 - Babe Dye
28 - Curtis Joseph
27 - Dick Duff
26 - Gordie Drillon
25 - Ron Ellis
24 - Rick Vaive
23 - Joe Primeau
22 - Max Bentley
21 - Lanny McDonald
20 - Allan Stanley
19 - Red Horner
18 - Wendel Clark
17 - Hap Day
16 - Red Kelly
15 - Busher Jackson
14 - George Armstrong
13 - Doug Gilmour
12 - Turk Broad
11 - King Clancy
10 - Mats Sundin
9 - Darryl Sittler
8 - Borje Salming
7 - Tim Horton
6 - Frank Mahovolich
5 - Johnny Bower
4 - Ted Kennedy
3 - Charlie Conacher
2 - Syl Apps
1 - Dave Keon

Contributors: Damien Cox, Ernie Fitzsimmons, Jim Gregory, Gare Joyce, Jim Kernaghan, Jeff Marek, Scott Morrison, Frank Orr, Gord Stellick, Finn O'Hara

Old
11-29-2012, 08:45 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

How is Joseph ahead of Potvin?

Potvin back to back Conf. Finals.

Beat Joseph. Beat Beflour. Beat the **** out of Hextall.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Oh and:
11 - King Clancy
10 - Mats Sundin
9 - Darryl Sittler
8 - Borje Salming
7 - Tim Horton
6 - Frank Mahovolich
5 - Johnny Bower
4 - Ted Kennedy
3 - Charlie Conacher
2 - Syl Apps
1 - Dave Keon

Contributors: Damien Cox, Ernie Fitzsimmons, Jim Gregory, Gare Joyce, Jim Kernaghan, Jeff Marek, Scott Morrison, Frank Orr, Gord Stellick, Finn O'Hara
Man was I ever close to the actual results

Quote:
Thank you for your participation!

No.1 Dave Keon
No.2 Syl Apps
No.3 Charlie Conacher
No.4 Teeder Kennedy
No.5 Johnny Bower
No.6 Frank Mahovlich
No.7 Tim Horton
No.8 Darryl Sittler
No.9 Borje Salming
No.10 King Clancy
I had Sittler and Salming reversed, and Clancy in 10th instead of 11th while #1-7 in the exact order.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Man was I ever close to the actual results

I had Sittler and Salming reversed, and Clancy in 10th instead of 11th while #1-7 in the exact order.
Where do you rank Sundin in your opinion? Gotta be close to 11th I would imagine.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:02 PM
thom

Scotty Bowman has Keon very high on his list in the top 100 canadian players in hockey magazine.Thought Gilmour could have been a bit higher

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Scotty Bowman has Keon very high on his list in the top 100 canadian players in hockey magazine.Thought Gilmour could have been a bit higher
12th to be exact (Gretzky was 5th)

Old
11-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Where do you rank Sundin in your opinion? Gotta be close to 11th I would imagine.
Dougie Gilmour, Leonard "Red" Kelly, Mats Sundin and Walter "Turk" Broda all got serious consideration for #10 before I finally picked Francis "King" Clancy.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Dougie Gilmour, Leonard "Red" Kelly, Mats Sundin and Walter "Turk" Broda all got serious consideration for #10 before I finally picked Francis "King" Clancy.
Fair enough, all good choices.

Old
11-30-2012, 03:00 AM
Darcy Tucker

what a joke.

Sundin not in the top 5 lol . hes the all time leader in every offensive category. what a bunch of pretentious non-sense.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:57 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Always find these type of excercises silly. Most people vote on name recognition having never seen a good many of these guys play.

A post expansion list would be more relevent.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote