HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morgan Rielly discussion thread.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:54 AM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Hold on..let me guess you were one of the people who loved the fact that Schenn made the team at 18. Gushing over how powerful a hitter he was and ready to build a bronze statue out for the "Human Eraser". Look, Reilly is not NHL ready..I don't care how good he looks, how fast he is, how great he is in JUNIOR hockey and how good he may look in an NHL camp.

I'm extremely extremely! happy we drafted Reilly. He's a stud. But first off who said "most of our prospects suck" and who said Reilly was "destined to 3 years of minor league camp"? Reilly needs to freakin develop. He has amazing raw skill, but he's a kid..he's 18. Most 18 year olds need at LEAST another year in junior and a year in the minors to get used to the pro game.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you would just keep all our 18-year old prospects on the big club because of how they looked in a freaking training camp.
Firstly, I thought Schenn should have gone back to Kelowna because of how rudimentary his skillet seemed to be and hoped he could develop some latent impact skills worthy of a top five pick.

Secondly, I'm not advocating that Rielly should have an NHL job but that we shouldn't make a decision that isn't based on merit, i.e. what he shows us in camp. And let's face it, most of our prospects aren't that good and we expect long and difficult development paths (Colborne, Ashton, Kadri, Blacker). If we don't audition Rielly properly how will we know if we have a guy who can st in right away like a Patrick Kane, Jeff Skinner, Gabriel Landeskog or Drew Doughty?

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 03:52 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Firstly, I thought Schenn should have gone back to Kelowna because of how rudimentary his skillet seemed to be and hoped he could develop some latent impact skills worthy of a top five pick.

Secondly, I'm not advocating that Rielly should have an NHL job but that we shouldn't make a decision that isn't based on merit, i.e. what he shows us in camp. And let's face it, most of our prospects aren't that good and we expect long and difficult development paths (Colborne, Ashton, Kadri, Blacker). If we don't audition Rielly properly how will we know if we have a guy who can st in right away like a Patrick Kane, Jeff Skinner, Gabriel Landeskog or Drew Doughty?
Put him in camp, give him one or two games, give him a taste of what it takes. Then send him back. I do think that you can make a case of too much development time. Kadri IMO was ready last season, and his development is stagnant.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:25 AM
bobbyflex

here's the latest. the kid looks unreal

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:44 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

I have faith in the leafs bran trust. They will make the right decision. I personally feel he's ready. Kid has a fire inside him. One of those players that rise to the occaision and just wont accept failure. IMO players like this play for the challenge, adapt and succeed. Getting him in young (like Karlsson) wont hurt him. (However not my call)

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:59 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I have faith in the leafs bran trust. They will make the right decision. I personally feel he's ready. Kid has a fire inside him. One of those players that rise to the occaision and just wont accept failure. IMO players like this play for the challenge, adapt and succeed. Getting him in young (like Karlsson) wont hurt him. (However not my call)
"Adapt and succeed" can just as easily be "fold under the pressure and sink." I don't think anyone can gauge his readiness for the NHL accurately right now without a greater viewing window. Maybe there's nothing more for him to learn at the junior level. Maybe he needs the confidence boost of destroying the WHL. Who knows.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:14 AM
trellaine201

Saw him play last night in Vancouver. I am no scout but he looked very strong with the puck. He is bigger than I thought. He rushed up into the play alot. Got caught once that I noticed.

Looks really good. Mind you our Giants aren't very good this year

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Moose Jaw is also pretty bad.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:42 AM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Moose Jaw is also pretty bad.
There not too bad. Granted neither team generated much sustained offense or forecheck. Giants offence is horrible! But rebuild . See how these guys progress over the next couple of years.

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:41 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post

skating circles around the competition like that doesn't help his development in any way.

he needs to move up to a higher level of competition.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:43 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
"Adapt and succeed" can just as easily be "fold under the pressure and sink." I don't think anyone can gauge his readiness for the NHL accurately right now without a greater viewing window. Maybe there's nothing more for him to learn at the junior level. Maybe he needs the confidence boost of destroying the WHL. Who knows.
My opinion (as i described) is that he is a person that will adapt and succeed. He's overcome injury adversity, and excelled at a rate no one would have predicted. He's played at the highest level of competition his entire career. Likely will make team Canada as a top pairing defenseman in his first year, in the most difficult year to make the team.

This is a player that has ice in his veins. This is a player that you want on in the last minute of the game. This is a player that any and every coach wants on their team (including Burke and Carlyle).

This is what im talking about. Down by a goal in the third.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Saw him play last night in Vancouver. I am no scout but he looked very strong with the puck. He is bigger than I thought. He rushed up into the play alot. Got caught once that I noticed.

Kind of wish he was a center.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

Wonder if he could be the next Clark for us, switched from D to forward

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:59 PM
MarcWagz

is he young enough to play at the world jrs.

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:10 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
skating circles around the competition like that doesn't help his development in any way.

he needs to move up to a higher level of competition.
he's exactly where he should be. Let him build confidence and get the experience of the World JR's

Old
11-29-2012, 02:13 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWagz View Post
is he young enough to play at the world jrs.
haven't you heard? he's likely slotting in as top pairing with Dougie Hamilton

Old
11-29-2012, 02:50 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
he's exactly where he should be. Let him build confidence and get the experience of the World JR's
He's wasting time where he is right now.

And the last thing the kid needs is a confidence boost.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 03:24 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
My opinion (as i described) is that he is a person that will adapt and succeed. He's overcome injury adversity, and excelled at a rate no one would have predicted. He's played at the highest level of competition his entire career. Likely will make team Canada as a top pairing defenseman in his first year, in the most difficult year to make the team.

This is a player that has ice in his veins. This is a player that you want on in the last minute of the game. This is a player that any and every coach wants on their team (including Burke and Carlyle).

This is what im talking about. Down by a goal in the third.

So sexy.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
haven't you heard? he's likely slotting in as top pairing with Dougie Hamilton
Yup, with the injury to Ryan Murray, he is expected to fill his role and help run the offense and PP.

11-29-2012, 04:27 PM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Hold on..let me guess you were one of the people who loved the fact that Schenn made the team at 18. Gushing over how powerful a hitter he was and ready to build a bronze statue out for the "Human Eraser". Look, Reilly is not NHL ready..I don't care how good he looks, how fast he is, how great he is in JUNIOR hockey and how good he may look in an NHL camp.

I'm extremely extremely! happy we drafted Reilly. He's a stud. But first off who said "most of our prospects suck" and who said Reilly was "destined to 3 years of minor league camp"? Reilly needs to freakin develop. He has amazing raw skill, but he's a kid..he's 18. Most 18 year olds need at LEAST another year in junior and a year in the minors to get used to the pro game.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you would just keep all our 18-year old prospects on the big club because of how they looked in a freaking training camp.
First off, Reilly is in no way comparable to Schenn. Two completely different players.

Secondly, how can you be so sure he's not ready? Have you seen him play pro games yet? No one's saying to automatically give him the spot, but if he earns it and shows that he has nothing left to learn in lower leagues, then why send him back? That would only hurt him.

Yes, it's true that most prospects need extra time, however it's not exactly blasphamey to assume that some can make the jump right away.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 05:23 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post

the game he plays, reilly will get caught. but I wouldn't say his game is high risk which I know u didn't say, he knows when to rush and when not too,

he can recover with his great speed
this kid will be something special
i think he is nhl ready, but it will be awesome to see him on canada

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:28 PM
bluebarry

Quote:
haven't you heard?
a bird bird bird, bird bird bird,
a bird bird bird, bird bird bird

a bird is the word.

Quote:
haven't you heard?

a bird is the word.

a bird is the word.

a bird is the word.

a bird is the word.

bluebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:

Something just ain't right when a defenseman has a short handed breakaway

Funk Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:58 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Everybody's heard about the bird.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Yosho
Logic

For a guy listed as an average 6'0", he looks like he towers over everyone.

I do think he is where he should be, though. After missing much of last year, he should use this year to cement his skills. There's really no harm keeping such a young kid in the WHL for the season.

I understand the argument of Rielly not having enough competition to improve, but this year should be about regaining everything he lost last year - something he's clearly doing very well.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Aplayaz2000

this guy's very entertainin to watch

goes through people like a pro jagr

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote