HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Blue Bombers 2013 Season Thread (next game: 08/05 @ BC)

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
So he gets to publish two completely different sets of rankings. Okay, so let's review the actual RANKINGS you posted.

He has Reinders above Eppele, which is laughable. Bender as the top guard ahead of guys like Bomben, Matte or Neufeld. Bender as the top guy in any list was a sad choice but that's typical because as I said, Forde knows very little about the guys from the NCAA other than what scouts tell him and Bender was coming out of Nevada.

Not sure why ranking Greaves as a DT suggests he thought Greaves could become a starting guard like Walters did. According to his list of receivers, he bought into Steven Turner and Jordan Sisco hype WAY too much and totally undervalued Foster. Interestingly enough, you'll see he also has Rory Kohlert ranked waaaay down at #19. Missed the boat on where to rank Rwabukamba who, of course, was another NCAA guy.

Muamba went #1 because BC / Edmonton were going to take him otherwise. Do the research on that one, no way was he going to be there at #4. Scott Mitchell, you would have been fine with? Meh. Good for you. Scott Mitchell was another guy Forde hyped up coming out of the NCAA who realistically should have probably gone in the 2nd or 3rd round. He's progressed through Edmonton's system at the same pace Paul Swiston has progressed through ours. Despite the fact that Edmonton started the year with their ENTIRE projected starting offensive line out due to injury or in one guy's case, a prison term, Mitchell STILL couldn't crack their lineup until mid-season. That's terrible progression for a #2 pick.

I'm not going to remember that we knew we were picking Poblah in the supplemental draft because that's not at all true. Poblah didn't become eligible for the supplemental until AFTER the draft and Mack has gone on record since to say that he likely would have gone in a different direction at #4 had he known Poblah was going to be available. To suggest otherwise is revisionist history on your part.

As for Forde's rankings, I see plenty of errors again. Why he ever thought Craig Butler was not as good of a prospect as Carter (another NCAA guy he overvalued) or Hugo Lopez is a mystery to me. He ranked Brody McKnight (again, NCAA guy - see the pattern here?) third in the kicker rankings and he ended up going in the first round and was again recently dealt for a first rounder. Not too many glaring errors in the offensive rankings, although I still can't believe NOBODY saw Parker as a potential bust. Parker and Etienne were very similar in terms of the tools they offered as prospects, except one was coming out of Calgary as a second generation player. Somehow that was enough to have him go 3rd in the draft.

Forde wasn't the first one to call Westerman's rise at all. He was the guy who REPORTED it because that's what he does. He's a reporter. Westerman's rise started at the combine. As for wanting Plesius or Fabien, good on you. If you want more Jonathan Hardaway clients, it'd be your funeral as a personnel guy. Plesius dropped in the draft solely because his agent is a total knob and nobody wants to deal with the guy. Fabien is represented by the same guy. Hardaway is an agent with his own best interests in mind, which is why he's misleading about player intentions (see: Fabien holding out for starting NI money in camp and then going back to school despite telling BC he wanted to go pro) and why teams are reluctant to draft his guys anymore. We'll see how negotiations go with Gascon-Nadon, Plesius and Rockhill in Hamilton this year.

There is legitimately NOTHING wrong with the Pencer pick at this point in time and even though you probably ignored it because it didn't come from the almighty Duane Forde, if you were to go back and look, you'd notice an article in the Toronto Sun about the combine where it was stated that several scouts in attendance believed Pencer had the potential to go as high as #1. Pencer wasn't a bad choice, he was a bit of a risk because of injury issues but come on, this is the CFL Draft. Every pick is a risk. Pasztor was a risk because of NFL interest. Fabien was a risk because of his agent. Pick your poison. Pencer has potential at tackle, not just guard and that's not something you can say about those other guys. I don't mind the pick even if everyone else feels like it's terrible because he suffered an injury and now he's a "write-off".
Nice, you have to ability to pick out flaws since Forde is forced to publish rankings with every single player. Can you imagine what I could have found if Mack had been forced to publish his whole rankings.

And again, you making huge huge assumptions based on these rankings. You are saying if they bring in Forde, he will ignore team needs and ALL other information which is not incorporated into the rankings and stick solely to his rankings. You really think he is going to run his draft like that? C'mon.

As for the Poblah thing, most people had him in the regular draft until shortly before the real draft, it was not certain but pretty well known that Poblah would be in the supplemental, and for Mack to claim to know nothing about it is either poor poor poor research or him lying through his teeth.

I have never said Pencer is a "write-off". But he has not played a SINGLE down of football in over two years now. That is mightily concerning. I even said that the 2012 draft is much too early to call, as you said they are all risks, so really can you say anything about the Pencer pick?

Quote:
My god. I wish I had gotten to this comment before I spent time replying. The CFL draft is HUGELY important to the success of a franchise and to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Canadian talent is what separates successful teams from unsuccessful ones. Everyone can scout talented Americans, but can you fill your depth with Canadians? That's what the draft is for and it's incredibly important.
Every team finds gems, every team finds busts. CFL draft is a crapshoot. You find good players all over the place, including FA (like for example Justin Sorenson and Rory Kohlert both who started for the Bombers last year despite their emphasize for the draft). Bombers seemed to do fairly well trading their picks under Taman, to the tune of being the best team in the league for 3-4 years straight. That seems to fly in the face of your "draft is incredibly important" theory, does it not? But no, Mack can do no wrong right? He says it's important, it's important. The draft is one aspect of the team, but it's not nearly so important as say an NHL draft. The best talent is always going to be imports.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
As for the Poblah thing, most people had him in the regular draft until shortly before the real draft, it was not certain but pretty well known that Poblah would be in the supplemental, and for Mack to claim to know nothing about it is either poor poor poor research or him lying through his teeth.
I'd say it's more like poor research on your behalf.

He was deemed ineligible after not being able to provide enough paperwork to meet the CFL's expectations.

http://www.cm-life.com/2011/05/06/re...n-citizenship/

That's two days before the CFL draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=366375

He was deemed eligible 12 days after the CFL draft.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
I'd say it's more like poor research on your behalf.

He was deemed ineligible after not being able to provide enough paperwork to meet the CFL's expectations.

http://www.cm-life.com/2011/05/06/re...n-citizenship/

That's two days before the CFL draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=366375

He was deemed eligible 12 days after the CFL draft.
Sigh sigh. I know the details of the incident. He is Canadian, it was a matter of proving it. As it states in the article, he is continuing to send in paperwork. Everybody KNEW he was canadian, it was a formality to get it worked out. I never once believed he wouldn't get it, as did most reports I saw. Even that one says he is deemed "inegilible" says he is still working with the league

Old
11-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Sigh sigh. I know the details of the incident. He is Canadian, it was a matter of proving it. As it states in the article, he is continuing to send in paperwork. Everybody KNEW he was canadian, it was a formality to get it worked out. I never once believed he wouldn't get it, as did most reports I saw. Even that one says he is deemed "inegilible" says he is still working with the league

Of course it was a matter of proving it. I don't know why you're suggesting it was a formality, he had been trying as early as 2010 to be deemed eligible and already missed the cutoff once. There was a legitimate question on whether or not he'd be ruled eligible.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Bob E

"With the 2nd overall pick in the CFL draft, the Blue Bombers select ........... ?????"

Who do folks like? Charles? Gaydosh? Sewell?

I wouldn't mind seeing Gaydosh in Blue and Gold.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:34 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
"With the 2nd overall pick in the CFL draft, the Blue Bombers select ........... ?????"

Who do folks like? Charles? Gaydosh? Sewell?

Thats kind of a funny name

Old
12-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
That'd be hilarious. My bro beat out this guy for a spot on Team Alberta U-19 a few years back. Ultimately a shoulder ended my bro's career before it started, but funny to think that the guy got beat by my bro might be a top pick in the CFL and playing for BB...

(He also reads these boards, maybe I can finally get him to comment )

Old
12-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Bob E

Quote:
That'd be hilarious. My bro beat out this guy for a spot on Team Alberta U-19 a few years back. Ultimately a shoulder ended my bro's career before it started, but funny to think that the guy got beat by my bro might be a top pick in the CFL and playing for BB...

(He also reads these boards, maybe I can finally get him to comment )

That's too bad about your bro. Sounds like he may have been a player.

I'm actually hoping that anyone that the BB pick, actually makes the team and is a productive member of the squad for a few years. That's not always the case in the CFL draft.

Old
12-02-2012, 06:09 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

Grey Cup Rankings

So I was watching some highlights, and I rewatched the highlights from the 97th Grey Cup (13th man game) and was surprised at how good the game was, where do you guys think it ranks overall in GC lore?

Old
12-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
As expected, Kyle Walters named the Bombers new assistant GM and director of Canadian scouting:

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=411000

Old
12-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Here are the stadium construction updates; still a bit of work left yet...

http://www.bluebombers.com/photo_gal...allery/id/9289

Old
12-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Did anyone make their way down to the stadium sale? Pick up anything good?

I'm thinking about going down there tomorrow, though I imagine most of the inventory has been cleaned out.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
How much will the troughs be going for? lol

Old
12-08-2012, 07:08 PM
puck stoppa

Well, at the least the good news is that Walters won't be in charge of the Special Teams unit which makes my day. Id like to see someone like Oshea (mentality wise) hired for that position. We havent run a fake in what seems years and our teams have been terrible for a long time!

Old
12-08-2012, 08:15 PM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Well, at the least the good news is that Walters won't be in charge of the Special Teams unit which makes my day. Id like to see someone like Oshea (mentality wise) hired for that position. We havent run a fake in what seems years and our teams have been terrible for a long time!
I totally agree. Would also like to see us get Gaydosh in the draft.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:45 PM
puck stoppa

Gaydosh may be the next Doug Brown? That top rated Olineman sounds like a good prospect (if he doesnt go NFL route) but what do we need more an O or D lineman? Either way it should help our ratio but if Gaydosh is CFL ready than he can make us better sooner.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:20 AM
meedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
When is the last time you have seen a reverse on a punt/kick return in the CFL? Its been awhile.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:34 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
When is the last time you have seen a reverse on a punt/kick return in the CFL? Its been awhile.
I dont know, but Ive seen Oshea run at least 5 or 6 fakes the last three years, two of those against the Bombers. And most of the fakes Ive seen MTL, TOR, BC, etc. run, they are usually successful especially near the other team's 50 yard line.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

http://cfl.ca/page/2013-free-agent-tracker

Here's the list of CFL Free Agents.

Bombers List

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
PLAYER POS COLLEGE STATUS
Beasley, Deon DB Texas
Bowman, Marcellus LB Boston College
Butler, Kelly OL Purdue Retired (03/12/12)
Denmark, Clarence WR Arkansas Monticello
Garrett, Chris RB Ohio
Goltz, Justin QB Occidental College
Hefney, Jonathan DB Tennessee
Kashama, Fernand DL Western Michigan
Sears, Johnny DB Eastern Michigan
Turner, Bryant DE Alabama Birmingham
Vega, Jason DL Northeastern
Volny, Carl RB Central Michigan

Old
12-10-2012, 09:00 PM
sully1410

Quote:

Bombers List

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Beasley, Deon DB Texas
Garrett, Chris RB Ohio
Vega, Sears, Hefney, Garret and Denmark need to be resigned. But that's just based on the handful of games that I watched this year, since I left the peg I really haven't followed the blue as religiously as I should be...or at all really lol.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:26 PM
WpgBoy84

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Vega, Sears, Hefney, Garret and Denmark need to be resigned. But that's just based on the handful of games that I watched this year, since I left the peg I really haven't followed the blue as religiously as I should be...or at all really lol.
I would add at least Turner, Goltz and Bowman to that list as well.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Bob E

Quote:

Bombers List

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Beasley, Deon DB Texas
Garrett, Chris RB Ohio
Love to see Turner, Vega, Bowman, Denmark, Sears and Volny back.

I think we can upgrade in the secondary and HOPEFULLY at QB.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:27 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

The entire secondary should be released starting with Hefney. It was a complete embarrassment .

Old
12-12-2012, 08:32 PM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
The entire secondary should be released starting with Hefney. It was a complete embarrassment .
I agree Hefney has his problems. But come on JJ was the most outstanding defensive player in the cfl in 2011. Stewart is a 6 foot plus corner which is hard to come by in the CFL. Logan may not be flashy but he is still a very steady Canadian saftey. Its hard to play well defensivly when you're on the field 40 plus minutes of a 60 minute game. Its comments like this one why management never listens to their fans.

Old
12-13-2012, 04:39 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaFan1 View Post
I agree Hefney has his problems. But come on JJ was the most outstanding defensive player in the cfl in 2011. Stewart is a 6 foot plus corner which is hard to come by in the CFL. Logan may not be flashy but he is still a very steady Canadian saftey. Its hard to play well defensivly when you're on the field 40 plus minutes of a 60 minute game. Its comments like this one why management never listens to their fans.
JJ got burned on a long ball every game. Thats great JJ was ODP in 2011. Cheechoo scored 50+ goals in a season. "What have you done for me lately?"

Closed Thread