HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

The Flux Capacitator league sign-up thread (2015 start date, MANY TEAMS AVAIL.)

Old
11-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Firefoxx

vCash: 500
Since we will have limited controll over our lineups during the season, I'd suggest taking waivers off so injuries dont cause us to lose prospects/players. Then we can put them on when we start playing again. Just my opinion.

Also sent in game request.

Firefoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoxx View Post
Since we will have limited controll over our lineups during the season, I'd suggest taking waivers off so injuries dont cause us to lose prospects/players. Then we can put them on when we start playing again. Just my opinion.

Also sent in game request.
That makes sense to me.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:15 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
I've turned off waivers and they will be off permanently, this mode completely screws teams with waivers, I've had players completely disappear for a season without any other team ever claiming them.

That Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:43 AM
Mclovinz1t

I'm in for the flyers Same GT McLovinz1t

Mclovinz1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:10 AM
noexult
HFBoards Sponsor

I would like to join in and try with the NYI :-) GT: noexult

noexult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Jack de la Hoya

So I would assume the idea of trading in these first 3 years is really to swap young players / prospects for other young players prospects--likely at positions of need? (That, of course, is tricky, since there will be two full drafts in between as well).

That said, the following players are part of Florida's "core" going forward, and will not be moved before the start of the 2015 season:

J. Huberdeau
P. Mueller
K. Vertsteeg
S. Matthias

D. Kulikov
E. Gudbranson
K. Ellerby

J. Markstrom

I'll listen to offers on any other player on the roster. There are quite a few who will still be in their 20s when we get started.

I'd be particularly interested in dealing A. Petrovic and/or C. Robak for an equivalent RW prospect.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Firefoxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
So I would assume the idea of trading in these first 3 years is really to swap young players / prospects for other young players prospects--likely at positions of need? (That, of course, is tricky, since there will be two full drafts in between as well).

That said, the following players are part of Florida's "core" going forward, and will not be moved before the start of the 2015 season:

J. Huberdeau
P. Mueller
K. Vertsteeg
S. Matthias

D. Kulikov
E. Gudbranson
K. Ellerby

J. Markstrom

I'll listen to offers on any other player on the roster. There are quite a few who will still be in their 20s when we get started.

I'd be particularly interested in dealing A. Petrovic and/or C. Robak for an equivalent RW prospect.
I'd be interested in Petrovic. Beyond Karlsson/Cowen im pretty depleted at defence. I have Stone as an available RW prospect. Same age and very similar current overall, slighty different potential (half star) but I think we can find a way to compensate for that if you're interested.

Also to anyone looking for a #1 center, Spezza will only be 32 when the sims are done leaving plenty of time left in his career. I'm not forcing a move with him, but I'm not opposed to it either. Itd take at least a first round pick + prospect.

Last edited by Firefoxx: 11-29-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old
11-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Jack de la Hoya

The settings allow for 6 users per team. We want that at 1, don't we?

Old
11-29-2012, 11:48 AM
FlamesFreak4
Sven'sational!

vCash: 50
Like the idea of this, sign me up for the Blues GT: hashtagB00M

i like how everyone is not neccessarily going for the good teams like every other league, but the teams that will be good down the road ... no love for teams like pittsburgh/vancouver/etc

EDIT: i'd like to retract my interest in the blues, and instead take the Pens.

Last edited by FlamesFreak4: 11-29-2012 at 12:16 PM.
FlamesFreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFreak4 View Post
Like the idea of this, sign me up for the Blues. GT: hashtagB00M

i like how everyone is not neccessarily going for the good teams like every other league, but the teams that will be good down the road ... no love for teams like pittsburgh/vancouver/etc
will still be stacked in three years. Not sure why no one has picked them yet. Their best players are in their mid-20s, and they are loaded with D prospects.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 11-29-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old
11-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Jack de la Hoya

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if we shouldn't scrap the trading during the first three years.

The appeal of the league is to inherit a team in the future, right? Somehow, the idea that we get to do a pretty significant overhaul ahead of the "start" seems counter to that basic premise.

I think that our interactions with our teams should be limited to resigning free agents--and that's just because the CPU is quite dumb. That would leave a very nice class of free agents at the start of the 2015 season, which should mitigate the urge to do first window trades. (I feel less strongly about ruling out free agency than trades, though).

Trading between now and 2015 seems both counter-productive (what are you trying to accomplish, exactly? You don't really want to win in those intervening years; if anything, you want to lose). If we make it hands off (except for resigning) until 2015, it will remove any effort to "tank" in between as well.

It will also take significantly less time to start the season if we don't have to take breaks for trading, free agency, etc.

Obviously, I'll go with the majority on this. It just seems the better way to go.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:15 PM
FlamesFreak4
Sven'sational!

Quote:
will still be stacked in three years. No sure why no one has picked them yet. Their best players are in their mid-20s, and they are loaded with D prospects.
just spent the last 10 minutes looking over rosters of the available teams and im actually more interested in pittsburgh, so i may take them instead.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:36 PM
jonyro84

We are waiting until the league is full to start simming correct? Ducks are looking to stand pat for the most part until 2015 although depending on gibsons progression may look to move hiller with a good prospect to upgrade in net.

off limits:Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, fowler, spisa,smith-pelly, palmieri, cogs, etem, holland, Gibson, lindholm and McMillan... off the top of my head

jonyro84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Firefoxx

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if we shouldn't scrap the trading during the first three years.

The appeal of the league is to inherit a team in the future, right? Somehow, the idea that we get to do a pretty significant overhaul ahead of the "start" seems counter to that basic premise.

I think that our interactions with our teams should be limited to resigning free agents--and that's just because the CPU is quite dumb. That would leave a very nice class of free agents at the start of the 2015 season, which should mitigate the urge to do first window trades. (I feel less strongly about ruling out free agency than trades, though).

Trading between now and 2015 seems both counter-productive (what are you trying to accomplish, exactly? You don't really want to win in those intervening years; if anything, you want to lose). If we make it hands off (except for resigning) until 2015, it will remove any effort to "tank" in between as well.

It will also take significantly less time to start the season if we don't have to take breaks for trading, free agency, etc.

Obviously, I'll go with the majority on this. It just seems the better way to go.
To the bolded part, not neccessarily. Sure some will want the highest draft pick possible over those years, but from what I have seen making the playoffs (the added games and experience) can actually affect player progression in a pretty significant way.

So a team that is already prospect heavy (my Senators for instance) might try and go deep for the added experience to already young nhlers (Cowen, Karlsson, Zbad, etc). Or i could choose to try and plug the few prospect holes I have (defence, future centers) by trading away a few pieces to those that aim for the playoffs.

Also, a lot of the trading would be prospect for prospect types, attempting to fill holes. If say Pheonix is forced to wait 3 years before trading away one of their defence prospects for a forward, it takes some guess work away for the opposing GM since they can see the progression rather than assume it. What if Rundblad tops out as a low 80 instead of hitting a high 80? It can change his trade value and it takes away some control of your team and your assets IMO.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoxx View Post
To the bolded part, not neccessarily. Sure some will want the highest draft pick possible over those years, but from what I have seen making the playoffs (the added games and experience) can actually affect player progression in a pretty significant way.

So a team that is already prospect heavy (my Senators for instance) might try and go deep for the added experience to already young nhlers (Cowen, Karlsson, Zbad, etc). Or i could choose to try and plug the few prospect holes I have (defence, future centers) by trading away a few pieces to those that aim for the playoffs.

Also, a lot of the trading would be prospect for prospect types, attempting to fill holes. If say Pheonix is forced to wait 3 years before trading away one of their defence prospects for a forward, it takes some guess work away for the opposing GM since they can see the progression rather than assume it. What if Rundblad tops out as a low 80 instead of hitting a high 80? It can change his trade value and it takes away some control of your team and your assets IMO.
All reasonable points.

I guess, to me, it comes down to this: Do we want more or less shaping of the team we are "starting" with in 2015. If it is "more," then you're right, we should do it as the OP suggested. If we want to essentially "fast-forward," though, then I think we should limit the interactions.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Firefoxx

Quote:
All reasonable points.

I guess, to me, it comes down to this: Do we want more or less shaping of the team we are "starting" with in 2015. If it is "more," then you're right, we should do it as the OP suggested. If we want to essentially "fast-forward," though, then I think we should limit the interactions.
I agree with a limited period. Theres no reason to care about injury trades and such, just let it unfold as it does. I think maybe a one day period of trading before the draft every year would be more than fine. That way a team can trade up/down based on need, pick up player/prospects from other teams for the coming year, etc.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:10 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

I've added the most recent 3 people who wanted to join

I am also willing to go with the consensus and say very limited involvement in teams during the first three years, we'll basically only deal with our teams at the end of the first three years, setting draft priority and making one needed trade to move up or down or swap out youngsters. I'll also change it to 1 user per team, not that I forsee much trouble there, I wouldn't approve secondary users

Old
11-29-2012, 01:12 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
I'll take the Rangers if still available, I think this is an interesting concept.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:21 PM
MiLLw00d

Love the concept CHamps!!
I'll give it a shot with the Boston Bruins

MiLLw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 11:07 PM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

still looking for 17 GMs...

Old
11-30-2012, 03:27 AM
ThePsychicSaw

Quote:

i think this post deserves more scrutiny.

going with this mentality for this league will really set it apart from the others, and I agree completely, considering what the general idea of this league is trying to accomplish.

ThePsychicSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:29 AM
noexult
HFBoards Sponsor

I would also claim that one shouldn't be able to do anything else than sign free agents...we get trades up when we start playing 4th season

noexult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Might make sense to edit the thread title--to make clear that this is a 2015 "start date" and note the number of teams available.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:08 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
Rangers GM Gamertag is NYR x Matt.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:45 PM
FlamesFreak4
Sven'sational!

If no trades are allowed during the first 3 simmed seasons, what happens when a team close to the cap ceilling has to re-sign a player for more than they were currently making, thus pushing them over the cap... which in most cases could be solved easily by a trade....

I agree to limit everything during the first 3 seasons, but maybe having one spot during the season(tdd?) or off-season where teams can trade players over a span of say 24-48 hours. then continue on with the sim.