HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Haggerty: Jacobs should be held responsible

Old
11-29-2012, 12:27 PM
M A K A V E L I*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
I know the report has now been debunked but I can't wait for the next Bruins trip to Winnipeg....the Jacobs chants are going to be epic
Imagine the reaction Bettman is going to get during the Stanley Cup presentation. I think he's going to need a shield with all the bottles being thrown at him.

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
I know the report has now been debunked but I can't wait for the next Bruins trip to Winnipeg....the Jacobs chants are going to be epic
It has not been debunked, but it has been denied by Winnipeg ownership.

The reporter says he stands by his sources.

On a different note:

ChrisBottaNHL 2:11pm via Twitter for BlackBerry®
I'll back @HackswithHaggs. Fact: senior execs from "lesser" clubs being talked down to at NHL meetings is not uncommon.

What the heck?

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:44 PM
crazyforhockey

I brleive that Jacobs DOES have two votes

Boston and because the coyotes are owned by the league the NHL votes for phx which them falls to the chairman to vote

egads people being talked down by the top guys in the NHL

we are all cattle in there eyes
..lol

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
It has not been debunked, but it has been denied by Winnipeg ownership.

The reporter says he stands by his sources.

On a different note:

ChrisBottaNHL 2:11pm via Twitter for BlackBerry®
I'll back @HackswithHaggs. Fact: senior execs from "lesser" clubs being talked down to at NHL meetings is not uncommon.

What the heck?

A former professor of mine was instrumental in getting an NHL installed in the city I went to school in... he explained the process to us (it was an entrepreneurship class) it sounded like a lot of courting and backdoor dealing.. he spoke of the big meeting at a Chicago hotel where his group and groups representing other hopeful cities were present giving their presentations.. each presentation was given behind closed doors and each city held their cards as close to their chest as one could imagine.. one bidding city had a marching band come with them and played for the Board of Governors (for flair I guess).. my prof's group gave their bid which was more financially focused and less theatrical.. he said they found out they won the bid in the basement of the hotel and he said it was like a mob movie, being led through these halls with pipes exposed on the ceiling, boiler rooms, and they entered this little room where the Board of Governors were sitting, some of them were smoking cigars, and they told them they won and shook their hands (it wasn't the official announcement, and in fact my prof said he was sure they hadn't won and were being led to be told they had lost and to leave).

His point in the lecture was that business is in no way shape or form what we perceive from textbooks or commercials, or even what a company tells its employees it is. Most deals are done in the trenches, especially high level deals.. in the end its just people working with people..

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:00 PM
sunnyvale420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Pilkington View Post
A former professor of mine was instrumental in getting an NHL installed in the city I went to school in... he explained the process to us (it was an entrepreneurship class) it sounded like a lot of courting and backdoor dealing.. he spoke of the big meeting at a Chicago hotel where his group and groups representing other hopeful cities were present giving their presentations.. each presentation was given behind closed doors and each city held their cards as close to their chest as one could imagine.. one bidding city had a marching band come with them and played for the Board of Governors (for flair I guess).. my prof's group gave their bid which was more financially focused and less theatrical.. he said they found out they won the bid in the basement of the hotel and he said it was like a mob movie, being led through these halls with pipes exposed on the ceiling, boiler rooms, and they entered this little room where the Board of Governors were sitting, some of them were smoking cigars, and they told them they won and shook their hands (it wasn't the official announcement, and in fact my prof said he was sure they hadn't won and were being led to be told they had lost and to leave).

His point in the lecture was that business is in no way shape or form what we perceive from textbooks or commercials, or even what a company tells its employees it is. Most deals are done in the trenches, especially high level deals.. in the end its just people working with people..
They would use a razor blade to slice the garlic so thin that it would melt in the pan. Haha i dont doubt you. People need to start questioning and realizing how sleazy bug buisness is

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:00 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Matthew Sekeres ‏@mattsekeres
Am told by 2 NHL sources that #Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs forced employees to pay tax on 2011 Stanley Cup rings. About $7K per ring. Cont...

Some support staff couldn't afford the tax up front, so players stepped up and covered the cost so they could get rings too.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:02 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
So what i gather from this you could make a "good guy Jacobs" meme. If he is actually trying to make NHL more financially responsible and viable, then he is much better suited for leading position than some random billionaire who doesnt care about losing money in his hobby and gives 120 millions for average players.
This is the big problem - Jacobs is trying to make the Boston Bruins more financially viable, not the National Hockey League. Each owner is in it for himself. If the Bruins can get a lower cap and still have disgustingly low levels of revenue sharing, then he will love the deal as it makes the Boston Bruins better off, even if it will eventually kill off the Phoenix Coyotes and Columbus Blue Jackets.

Everyone is in it for themselves. I dare say none of the owners are really all that interested in making the league a healthier place as a whole. They would far rather maximize their own teams' revenues than maximize the league's revenues.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:05 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Pilkington View Post

Maybe there are people who do business here beyond the textbooks. Not sure about commercials though, I rarely watch TV.

I'm not sure if you're excusing the alleged arrogance even among peers here when you say "in the end its just people working with people." Furthremore, each culture has its norm for what's acceptable or appropriate business etiquette. Failing to know that has killed many an opportunity. By the reactions to this story, it seems that this behavior is viewed as out-of-bounds in the NA culture.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:08 PM
SupremefartMachine

Jacobs is a ******* and I don't think any Bruins would deny that. I know he's the driving force behind this because he was last time too. One thing to remember about this article is that it was written by Joe Haggarty, and he's an absolute HACK.

SupremefartMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Hawkscap

I wonder if the IRS will now look at which players paid the taxes for those employees.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:35 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Am told by 2 NHL sources that #Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs forced employees to pay tax on 2011 Stanley Cup rings. About $7K per ring. Cont...

Some support staff couldn't afford the tax up front, so players stepped up and covered the cost so they could get rings too.
Damn selfish players, how can you not side with these wonderful, generous owners ?

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:38 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
I wonder if the IRS will now look at which players paid the taxes for those employees.
Jacobs will force them to.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:42 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Actually agree with this sentiment. Several have more than enough money to deal with Bettman's fines;
I've seen a couple of reports stating that they can lose draft picks in addition to the fines. If true, that would stop them more than any fine would.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead81 View Post
If the story's true, he wouldn't talk that way to either Mark Chipman or David Thompson. Thompson could buy everything Jacobs owns and still have about $15 billion left over.
Lord Thomson, 3rd Baron of Fleet should have attended the next meeting and torn him apart.

He must be appealing to some owners (Probably the ones who are losing money) because there's no way he has support from lots of teams.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:44 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Thanks guys. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the slightest bit familiar with how the BOG operates, so it's hard for me to wrap my head around how one guy (albeit a very powerful one) can have so much pull when he only has one vote per issue.

The executive committee consists of eight teams/members who are empowered to make the deal on behalf of the owners. So if he maneuvered so that that committee was made up of his supporters then he gets what he wants.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:03 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Everyone has a vote-- it's not just one person running the show.
No, they don't really. The Executive Committee (eight teams) has the power to make or reject a proposal. They don't have all of the teams voting every time a proposal is made.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:09 PM
colchar

Quote:

How much were those rings worth and/or how high is the sales tax rate that it worked out to be $7k per ring????

Old
11-29-2012, 02:10 PM
saskganesh

Interesting story.

Given the denials it is possible that the words were indeed spoken, but not at a formal meeting. In an elevator, at the hotel bar, over dinner, in a parking garage at night ... wherever men of power gather to discuss business.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:

What greedy players!

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:

Massachusetts has a gift tax of 35%

So the rings were about $20k each.

Last edited by Morris Wanchuk: 11-29-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Fortunately and unfortunately Boston/New England has the very best and the very worst when it comes to ownership.

Bob Kraft is the epitome of class and understands what an important piece of the community a professional team represents. He's a smart businessman but somehow doesn't feel the need to squeeze every last nickel out of the equation. When labor disputes arise in the NFL, expect Bob Kraft to be a part of the solution not the problem. Kraft appears to be universally liked and respected by the Patriot players. The fans certainly like him.

Jeremy Jacobs? The polar opposite of Bob Kraft in just about every imaginable way.
It's a LOT easier to be a nice guy when TV revenues alone dictate you'll make money. I'm not saying that Boston is hurting... but they're in a much different position than New England.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:25 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Massachusetts has a gift tax of 35%

So the rings were about $20k each.
"Gift tax"?

Edit: Huh... wouldn't you know there's a gift tax in the USA. Weird.

Last edited by LickTheEnvelope: 11-29-2012 at 02:31 PM.
LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
"Gift tax"?

I think that to be true.. I remember hearing the rings were around $20k

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:43 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
"Gift tax"?

We get taxed on stupid stuff too. My Dad is a Molsons retiree and, as part of his retirement package, he is given a certain number of coupons for free cases of beer each year (I guess to make up for the free beer he got while working there). A couple of years ago my parents were informed by their pension administrators that those coupons for free beer were now considered a taxable benefit by the government and they were given the choice of continuing to receive them and having to pay tax on their value or refusing them and not paying the tax. My Dad doesn't drink but they chose to keep receiving them as my brother and I use them.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:19 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

i thought that Massachusetts was a no gift tax state?

maybe the rings were a taxable employee fringe benefit? in any event, making an employee pony up to the employer for taxes "up front" prior to receiving something is bizarre to say the least.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote