Goalposts on the end line 47 68.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-28-2012, 10:04 AM
MJG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tape to tape View Post
Most of those rules have been in place for a 80 years or so. The field dimensions are the result of existing dimensions for rugby fields. As for disparity of talent, that is debatable as the two games require different types of players. There is a disparity in salary and some argue that didn't happen until John Candy and Wayne Gretzky gave Rocket Ishmael a big contract, which started a huge increase in NFL contracts.
They may have been in place for 80 years but it doesn't change the fact that it makes it easier on the offense. And it isn't necessarily the field dimensions that I have a problem with. It's the little things like one foot catches, or unlimited motion or big end zones. It makes everything easier and takes skill out of the game in order for more points to be scored.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Sports evolve, but running the ball is a huge essence of what football is.

Mind you I'm a Steelers fan. I'll take Jerome Bettis (hopefully I can say Jonathan Dwyer here soon) right up the gut for 4 yards every single play over a 4,000 yard passer every day of the week.
The top 14 rushers in the CFL this year averaged over 5 yards a carry, FWIW.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:32 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Canadian and vastly prefer the Canadian rules. Although there is no comparison between which league has the better players. I'd love to see NFL players playing the CFL rules.

I think more room to work with and less downs lead to more passing plays. Which I prefer to watching a team grind out 3-4yrs runs every play for a game. To me that gets boring and ends with very low scoring games.

I also like the combination of a 20 second play clock and clock stoppages after the 3min warning which allow for more dramatic last minute lead changes. I find in the NFL that if a team has a lead with 2 minutes left and the ball, both teams may as well walk off the field. There is less "garbage time" in the CFL.

No yards vs fair catch shouldn't even be a question. More football plays > less football plays.

Even the rouge I like. It adds an extra element of strategy since a team knows they can always get a single point with a kick into the endzone. That is something teams and coaches have to consider at all times.

Jmo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Sports evolve, but running the ball is a huge essence of what football is.

Mind you I'm a Steelers fan. I'll take Jerome Bettis (hopefully I can say Jonathan Dwyer here soon) right up the gut for 4 yards every single play over a 4,000 yard passer every day of the week.

As for the goal posts not having a reason to change...safety? They used to be on the goal line in the NFL and college game too, but common sense eventually won that battle.
Really? You prefer 3-4 yrd runs over 20yrd passing plays? To each there own I guess.

As for the goal posts, a bigger endzone reduces the safety issues. I think I can count on one hand how many times I have seen a player run into the padded goal post in my 30+ years of CFL watching. TDs count when the ball breaks the plane of the endzone, why should FGs count if a team kicks it through the back of the endzone?

Last edited by s7ark: 11-28-2012 at 11:39 AM.
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Canadian and vastly prefer the Canadian rules. Although there is no comparison between which league has the better players. I'd love to see NFL players playing the CFL rules.

I think more room to work with and less downs lead to more passing plays. Which I prefer to watching a team grind out 3-4yrs runs every play for a game. To me that gets boring and ends with very low scoring games.
I also like the combination of a 20 second play clock and clock stoppages after the 3min warning which allow for more dramatic last minute lead changes. I find in the NFL that if a team has a lead with 2 minutes left and the ball, both teams may as well walk off the field. There is less "garbage time" in the CFL.

No yards vs fair catch shouldn't even be a question. More football plays > less football plays.

Even the rouge I like. It adds an extra element of strategy since a team knows they can always get a single point with a kick into the endzone. That is something teams and coaches have to consider at all times.

Jmo.

Really? You prefer 3-4 yrd runs over 20yrd passing plays? To each there own I guess.

As for the goal posts, a bigger endzone reduces the safety issues. I think I can count on one hand how many times I have seen a player run into the padded goal post in my 30+ years of CFL watching. TDs count when the ball breaks the plane of the endzone, why should FGs count if a team kicks it through the back of the endzone?
I dunno, I feel that the game is changing and evolving to a throwing game for the NFL.

Just taking a sample from last year. The CFL had 1 qb over 5000 yrds, 2 qbs with over 4000 and 4 over 3000.

The NFL had 3 qbs over 5000 yrds, 7 qbs with over 4000 and 10 qbs over 3000 yrds.

Obviously the NFL has a larger sample base but based on these stats I would have to say that the NFL is on the level with the CFL for passing plays and that the grinding running game has slowed down over the past years for alot of the teams. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues in the NFL at the end of this season.

JMO

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Diatidialga

The Poll is missing the most drastic change

Overtime.

Diatidialga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 03:35 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
So I'm a Canadian and I vastly prefer the American game. When I younger I was more exposed to the CFL, but as I grew up I started to gravitate more toward the NFL and College football. I don't want to rag on the CFL and their fans but American game is a much more entertaining game to watch. I find that many of the CFL rules are in place in order to compensate for a lack of talent. They give the offense so many advantages to increase the scoring. One foot in bounds makes it easier to catch, wider field gives them more room, deeper end zones make scoring easier, unlimited motion creates more separation and the distance on the line of scrimmage makes it easier to create running gaps. The CFL fans always say that it's more exciting and offensive but I always feel that it's forced. The defenses aren't even given a chance. I get much more enjoyment out of watching NFL offenses succeed because it takes more creativity, they need to execute better and there is zero room for error.
I understand what you are saying for all your points, and while I disagree that is a bad thing, I think one aspect of the 1 yard gap is that it puts more pressure on the QB. With the 1 yard gap it is harder for the o-line to stop the d-line. This added pressure can lead to two exciting plays, QB runs and sacks.

Also, the goalposts on the goalline negate the boost the offence gets when considering scoring TDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Strongly disagree. The purpose isn't to just kick it long, it's to pin them deep. Punters in the NFL actually need to aim to try to get it to go out of bounds or get it to roll and pin them near the line. You fail to do that, they get to start at the 20. It's more involved than in Canada where the punters are trying for power and distance and only that.

The 1 Canadian rule I love is that anyone can kick the ball forward and anyone behind them on the kick can recover it. I was some high school play on Deadspin last week where that rule happened and it was incredible.
Punters in the CFL aim too, because unless it is the last 10 seconds or so of a half they feel that the field position is worth giving up a point. But still why should a punting team be penalized for a deep punt? Also think of it this way. Why should kick returning just be about getting the ball and kneeling? In the CFL they are more involved since they have something to give up they are ore likely to take a risk.

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post

Punters in the CFL aim too, because unless it is the last 10 seconds or so of a half they feel that the field position is worth giving up a point. But still why should a punting team be penalized for a deep punt? Also think of it this way. Why should kick returning just be about getting the ball and kneeling? In the CFL they are more involved since they have something to give up they are ore likely to take a risk.
Why should they be penalized for a deep punt, you ask? Why should they GAIN anything extra for one? They are the team that is surrendering possession of the ball.

And it's not about getting the ball and kneeling on a punt...not sure we are watching the same NFL if you think that.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:04 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Why should they be penalized for a deep punt, you ask? Why should they GAIN anything extra for one? They are the team that is surrendering possession of the ball.

And it's not about getting the ball and kneeling on a punt...not sure we are watching the same NFL if you think that.
A deep punt takes more skill than a long punt. Why should the return team gain from that without having to give up something in return.

How many punts that go into the endzone are returned in the NFL?

Old
11-28-2012, 06:26 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
A deep punt takes more skill than a long punt.
HUH?

What's the difference between deep and long here?

Quote:
How many punts that go into the endzone are returned in the NFL?
None. That's the penalty for kicking the ball further than you were supposed to. The other team gets to come out to the 20. The punter should've kept it shorter if he wanted to pin them inside the 20.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
I dunno, I feel that the game is changing and evolving to a throwing game for the NFL.

Just taking a sample from last year. The CFL had 1 qb over 5000 yrds, 2 qbs with over 4000 and 4 over 3000.

The NFL had 3 qbs over 5000 yrds, 7 qbs with over 4000 and 10 qbs over 3000 yrds.

Obviously the NFL has a larger sample base but based on these stats I would have to say that the NFL is on the level with the CFL for passing plays and that the grinding running game has slowed down over the past years for alot of the teams. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues in the NFL at the end of this season.

JMO
For sure, the NFL has become MUCH more of passing league over the past several years.

There was talk above about how the CFL has rules that make it easier to score, but it seems every rule change the NFL makes is to aid offenses as well. You get a pass interference penalty for even breathing on a receiver in the NFL these days, and will get illegal contact penalties for what used to be just "jamming" a receiver.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:57 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
HUH?

What's the difference between deep and long here?

None. That's the penalty for kicking the ball further than you were supposed to. The other team gets to come out to the 20. The punter should've kept it shorter if he wanted to pin them inside the 20.
Yeah, and I don't see why the return team should get the ball on the 20 without giving up anything for doing nothing

Old
11-29-2012, 01:15 PM
tape to tape

Slightly off-topic, the only rule in the CFL I would change is the import rule regarding quarterbacks. I would change the rule so that 1 of the 3 QBs on each team would have to be a non-import.

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Tuggy

I just can't take the CFL seriously. An 8 team professional league? Come on, 25% of the teams in the league make the championship game...

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:38 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I just can't take the CFL seriously. An 8 team professional league? Come on, 25% of the teams in the league make the championship game...
I kinda like the so few teams.

Talent gap is smaller.

Anyone can win a championship if they get hot at the right time (Toronto)

The rivalries are more intense in my opinion.

Everyone get's to see their team win a championship

I would like to see them expand to 10 (Halifax/Moncton) and then stop

Tape to Tape:

I like that idea

Old
11-29-2012, 01:48 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Yeah, and I don't see why the return team should get the ball on the 20 without giving up anything for doing nothing
Why do they need to give anything up? They didn't 'do nothing', not even close. They got the defensive stop and forced the other team to punt. Is that not the point of playing defense? To get the ball back without allowing points to be scored???

Old
11-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
I kinda like the so few teams.

Talent gap is smaller.

Anyone can win a championship if they get hot at the right time (Toronto)

The rivalries are more intense in my opinion.

Everyone get's to see their team win a championship

I would like to see them expand to 10 (Halifax/Moncton) and then stop

Tape to Tape:

I like that idea
Ottawa is coming back and the expansion draft is December 2013:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/11/28/...ld-dec-12-2013

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...in-ottawa.html

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/11/24/...next-two-weeks

Last edited by Neely2005: 11-29-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 02:31 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

I know that.

That is why I said 10

Old
11-29-2012, 02:32 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Why do they need to give anything up? They didn't 'do nothing', not even close. They got the defensive stop and forced the other team to punt. Is that not the point of playing defense? To get the ball back without allowing points to be scored???
They didn't do anything on the punt play to deserve instant field position.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:54 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

I guess I don't see why they need to do something on the punt play to deserve field position. They already got the stop on 3 plays to force the punt, and what happens on the punt play happens at that point.

I enjoy the part of football where the punting team tries to pin the receiving team deep by getting the ball to go out of bounds or getting it to stop short of the endzone. Obviously you don't, so I'm gonna leave it at that.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:18 PM
tape to tape

Quote:
. I enjoy the part of football where the punting team tries to pin the receiving team deep by getting the ball to go out of bounds or getting it to stop short of the endzone. Obviously you don't, so I'm gonna leave it at that.
This happens in the CFL as well.

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 03:28 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Never said it doesn't...

Old
11-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
I know that.

That is why I said 10
Ah my mistake. What about Quebec City, do you think that they could support a team?

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:15 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Ah my mistake. What about Quebec City, do you think that they could support a team?
I think they might, it is hard to say considering how big college football is there, but like I say I like the small league, plus with more then 10 it brings up some problems with tradition.

Does the Grey Cup get played in December instead of November, does the season start in June instead of Canada Day weekend, or do we get rid of the home and home against everybody?

What about labour day? Who does QC play? They can't play Montreal, that's Ottawa's labour day rival. They can't play Atlantic Canada, that is the team that BC has been waiting for 50 years to play on labour day weekend.

At least with an Atlantic Schooners or what not all the provinces have a team representing them.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:56 PM
TTOMO

I voted for Canadian rules except for the rouge, no yards, and 1 foot inbounds. I find getting one point on a missed field goal to be silly, especially if it's the game winning kick and it's a tie game. Rouges on punts or kick offs, I'm fine with that. No yards, I've just always found it annoying. With such a big field in the CFL, the in bounds rule should be 2 feet in like the NFL.

The NFL needs to move the kick off back to where it used to be. It's silly when half of the kick offs don't get returned.

Last edited by TTOMO: 11-30-2012 at 12:52 AM.
TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:58 PM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro Kinesis View Post
When I learned about the 3 downs a couple days ago, I thought that was the stupidest thing ever. Two bloody chances to get a 1st down? LOL.
Exactly. That's why it's awesome.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote