HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Offseason Madness the 8th: Josh Johnson Edition.

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Offseason Madness the 8th: Josh Johnson Edition.

continue here.

11-29-2012, 01:56 PM
sparxx87

Anyone have a link to Buehrle's conference call? All I can find is a recap.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...e_call_tweets/

Old
11-29-2012, 01:59 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post

Read on twitter that it was media only... Wilner suggested that it won't be posted.

I think JJ's is happening later today too. Hopefully we'll see some better recaps than that annoying twitter feed.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Federko

Well now that the Braves signed Upton, Michael Bourn (CF) just became available. When I think of CF's I think of Devon White. Bourn might make sense for us and I'm wondering if AA is interested in him. If we sign Bourn , we have a top notch CF who can play CF at almost an allstar caliber level -- until Gose is ready. Gose can also learn from Bourn.

Our outfield would look like: Cabrera (LF) / Bourn (CF) / Bautista (RF). To me, that's an all star outfield. We can then take the underachievers who are still worth something (Rasmus for example) and turn them into some type of pitching through trades....

Just a thought. I'm wondering what others think...
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28535/michael-bourn

Old
11-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

They talked about the details in Tim & Sid this afternoon for Buerhles. Sum it up in one sentence is he's happy to be in Toronto and he's still looking for a work around on his pitbull problem.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=410540

Play the "A New Challenge" video it's a voice conference

Old
11-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
Well now that the Braves signed Upton, Michael Bourn (CF) just became available. When I think of CF's I think of Devon White. Bourn might make sense for us and I'm wondering if AA is interested in him. If we sign Bourn , we have a top notch CF who can play CF at almost an allstar caliber level -- until Gose is ready. Gose can also learn from Bourn.

Our outfield would look like: Cabrera (LF) / Bourn (CF) / Bautista (RF). To me, that's an all star outfield. We can then take the underachievers who are still worth something (Rasmus for example) and turn them into some type of pitching through trades....

With Rasmus on the team and Gose in the system why would we give up the assets needed to get a guy like Bourn?

If we are looking to add a position player why wouldn't we do it at 1B/DH where we have a hole?

I'd like to see what Rasmus can do with a new hitting coach anyway.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:16 PM
topched

Quote:

AA came out and said that the Jays aren't interested in any Free Agent position players for the ML roster.

Aside from that Bourn is insanely expensive, is going to get overpaid given his skill set (even though he is very good)... We've got an identical player at the plate and on the basepaths in Reyes, and hopefully Gose develops into a similar player.

Colby is very good bang for the buck, and has the chance to breakout. He's entrenched atm at CF to start the year... unless he falls of a cliff and Gose has a monster start I don't see that changing.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:

I don't see why we'd do this, unless the cost is unbelievably low. We have one of the best outfield groups already, and the depth is insane (we have 6 guys who have enough talent to at least be platoons on many teams, if not full out starters). Along with catching, it's our position of strength. We should be using our wealth of players in those positions to fill our rather shallow SP and middle infield spots.

Or am I in LF in place of Cabrera again?

Old
11-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
With Rasmus on the team and Gose in the system why would we give up the assets needed to get a guy like Bourn?

If we are looking to add a position player why wouldn't we do it at 1B/DH where we have a hole?

I believe Rasmus is overrated. Trade him while he's worth something. As for Bourn - the Braves will be looking to unload him and his salary ... a prospect or two tops. 75.25 million for Upton over the next 7 years. That's a lot of cash. Braves usually promote from within due to budget constraints..... so getting Bourn makes sense. I rather Gose learn from Bourn than Rasmus....

Old
11-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
I believe Rasmus is overrated. Trade him while he's worth something. As for Bourn - the Braves will be looking to unload him and his salary ... a prospect or two tops. 75.25 million for Upton over the next 7 years. That's a lot of cash. Braves usually promote from within due to budget constraints..... so getting Bourn makes sense. I rather Gose learn from Bourn than Rasmus....
Who says Gose needs to "learn from" Rasmus? I'd imagine, if he's going to learn anything that he doesn't already know at the professional level, it's going to come from Bautista, not Rasmus.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
I don't see why we'd do this, unless the cost is unbelievably low. We have one of the best outfield groups already, and the depth is insane (we have 6 guys who have enough talent to at least be platoons on many teams, if not full out starters). Along with catching, it's our position of strength. We should be using our wealth of players in those positions to fill our rather shallow SP and middle infield spots.

Or am I in LF in place of Cabrera again?
We have an overabundance of outfielders. Too many. We need some other positions filled that we are not going to get through free agency. Thus, by adding Bourn it secures two things: A solid centerfielder, especially if you are looking to make the playoffs/win a championship.... instead of Davis/Rasmus... you get more consistancy with Bourn, and Gose can learn from him. You can take some outfielders and turn them into pitching, or 1b/dh through trades.

When I look at every top team in baseball, every successful team, they always have an allstar caliber outfield. Even in our most successful years you had Bell/Barfield/Mosby ... White/Carter/Green-Henderson/Winfield .... I don't believe what we have in CF is strong enough for a championship. Wild Card? ya, championship..not quite there yet.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Who says Gose needs to "learn from" Rasmus? I'd imagine, if he's going to learn anything that he doesn't already know at the professional level, it's going to come from Bautista, not Rasmus.
Good point.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
We have an overabundance of outfielders. Too many.
We have too many outfielders, so lets add another one?

Does. Not. Compute.

Unless we can get Bourn for a pile of **** and a couple bags of baseballs, it's most likely we'll never get the equivalent back in a trade for any package of Davis/Rasmus/Bonifacio/Arencibia/d'Arnaud. I'd rather trade two of those for SP and middle infielders and go with what we have left than trade pitchers and probably one of our catchers for Bourn and then try and swing our remaining outfielders for replacements.

Last edited by Leafsdude7: 11-29-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old
11-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post

I know i don't watch baseball as I used to but I used to be absolutely in awe when he was with the cards. I really hope we keep this guy

Old
11-29-2012, 02:29 PM
topched

Quote:
When I look at every top team in baseball, every successful team, they always have an allstar caliber outfield. Even in our most successful years you had Bell/Barfield/Mosby ... White/Carter/Green-Henderson/Winfield .... I don't believe what we have in CF is strong enough for a championship. Wild Card? ya, championship..not quite there yet.
'12 Giants: Pence, Pagan, Blanco

'11 Cards: Holliday, Jay, Craig (rookie)

'10 Giants: Ross, Torres, Rowand/Burrell

Not strong evidence for the case you're trying to make.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:33 PM
TOGuy14

Rasmus, while he is no all-star, gives us what this team needs right now, so I wouldn't move on from him.

The way our batting order is already stocked up at the top means we don't need another massive slugger. Rasmus plays some great defence in CF, is cost effective and has some potential to grow, so I am fine going with him.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Kessley Snipes

Like I posted last week. I absolutely cannot wait until all the Colby haters have to bite their tongue

Old
11-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Bourn is a free agent.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:44 PM
calcal798

Quote:

If we were going to spend over 10 mil a year on a FA i'd want it to be a SP. Bourn is good, but not something we neccessarily need right now. Rasmus is good enough defensively to stay out there, and he has decent power. Maybe with a new hitting coach he can get his BA above .250 which would be solid. On top of that we have Gose who could probably turn into a similar player to Bourn, but a lot younger and for a lot less money.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:48 PM
topched

Jon Heyman of CBS reporting that the Braves intend to non-tender Jair Jurjjens.

Might be an interesting candidate for that 5th spot depending on the cost.

Was lights out in '11 and struggled mightily in '12. Any of you non-lazy sabrmetricians want to take a run this?

Old
11-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Bourn is a free agent.
And will most likely sign for 15+ million annual average.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:50 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post

Was lights out in '11 and struggled mightily in '12. Any of you non-lazy sabrmetricians want to take a run this?
He'd be a good pick up. Would be a a bit of a reclammation project to get him back to where he was in 2008/2009 but a good depth move for the team, and hopefully wouldn't be to costly.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:51 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
We have an overabundance of outfielders. Too many. We need some other positions filled that we are not going to get through free agency. Thus, by adding Bourn it secures two things: A solid centerfielder, especially if you are looking to make the playoffs/win a championship.... instead of Davis/Rasmus... you get more consistancy with Bourn, and Gose can learn from him. You can take some outfielders and turn them into pitching, or 1b/dh through trades.

Many say Bonifacio is best in CF. Davis can backup the corners while Boni can be the backup CF while platooning with Izturis at 2B.. Izturis can also give Reyes and Lawrie some days off at 3B/SS..

I wouldn't be suprised to see Reyes DH some days as well, especially against tough lefties at home - it gets Reyes off the turf and EE plays 1st because Lind can't hit lefties.

I honestly think we should focus on pitching now.. Another starter and hopefully a swingman who can pitch long relief and possibly make spot starts if need be. (Joe Blanton, Carlos Zambrano, Francisco Liriano etc. if the price makes sense)

Old
11-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post

No thanks. Can't stay healthy and what used to be an above average fastball is now more like in the Cecil range topping out at 92. He would get killed in the AL East.

I would sign on a split minor league deal with incentives if he makes it to the majors and get a certain amount for IP. Nothing more than that.

Closed Thread