HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 6.0 - "Gally Got Backhand" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 10:49 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

vCash: 500
I don;t know why everyone wants him to be traded, I think he's doing quite well playing with Serault and Boucher, and I think the Sting want to take a chance at a playoff run.

This roster is not nearly as awful as people are claiming it to be.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
If they don't win their division (Plymouth has a better team), the best the Sting can do is most likely 6th place in the conference since the other division in the West features 4 very good teams in London, Kitchener, Owen Sound and Guelph that are currently in spots 1, 3, 4 and 5.

So Sarnia finishes 6th = they face the 2nd best of those teams.

London and Kitchener completely dominated the Sting last week. A sweep or a 5 game series loss would probably be the result.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:47 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I don;t know why everyone wants him to be traded, I think he's doing quite well playing with Serault and Boucher, and I think the Sting want to take a chance at a playoff run.

This roster is not nearly as awful as people are claiming it to be.
People just want him to see him take a run at the memorial cup.

Sarnia is definitely not as bad as most are making them out to be, that I agree with you on. Not a chance in hell they make it out of the OHL for the Mem Cup though. Not unless Gally goes all Cammy and Anderson turns into Halak of 2010.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:53 AM
That

I'd like to Galchenyuk get traded because I'd get to see him more often and rack up more points, but at this point I can't see him being traded. I just can't see a team paying the price that would be required to get him, mainly because of the lockout. If the NHL ever starts back up, there's an excellent chance that Galchenyuk will get a 9 game stint. If he looks good then he might stick in the NHL.

Also from Sarnia's standpoint, I can't see them trading Galchenyuk. Like hogtownhabsfan said, Sarnia is more talented than they are given credit for. Sarault is one of the best playmakers in the OHL, who also happens to be a great PKer, Boucher is a solid sniper who has a good two-way game, and Murphy is a very solid defenceman. This will be Sarault and JP Anderson's last season in the OHL, and Boucher and Murphy will most likely be making the jump to pro next year. That's one of the best players in the OHL, their starting goalie, their best winger, and their best defenceman. They have also have DeAngelo and Goldobin who are young players that are producing and Addesi, Hargrave, and Renaud who all look poised to breakout soon.

Honestly, before this season started I thought they would be one of the best teams, but they haven't been. Maybe they are under performing, maybe they just really aren't as talented as I think, but they should be playing better. Personally, I think Sarnia is poorly coached. Sarnia is currently tied for first in their division, and I think they can make a playoff run. It's way to early to write off their season, no matter how you view the team.

About the whole winger thing, I think it's definitely an interesting option. Unless there's something I'm missing, I certainly wouldn't call Galchenyuk a "powerforward" winger like Jacques Beaulieu did, but he looks good on the wing. Lets be honest though, he's going to rack up the points in the OHL at whatever position he plays, that's how talented he is. Watch where Galchenyuk usually positions himself on the ice, it's right in the centre of the ice. That's just his style of game. I think that Sarault and Boucher allow some flexibility, they go where Galchenyuk isn't and get open. At the NHL level, I don't know if that will work. Especially if we do get someone like Monahan, Barkov, Lindholm, etc., who all like to occupy the centre of the ice too.

Last edited by That: 11-27-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old
11-27-2012, 02:15 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag1328 View Post
Of course Beaulieu would never say "we are going to trade him". But there are tons of ways to answer without comprising yourself one way or another.
He could have said "For now Alex is a part of our team, he's our captain and we count on him to win" or "We'll cross that bridge when we get there."
He didn't have to go as far as promising he wouldn't trade him, that's all.
As much as I do believe he won't be traded, if he answered the way you suggest, people would be reading through that like a pair of glasses! I know I would. There is no real way to respond to that question other than being adamant. Anything less can bring unnecessary drama. IMO

Old
11-27-2012, 06:02 PM
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
If they don't win their division (Plymouth has a better team), the best the Sting can do is most likely 6th place in the conference since the other division in the West features 4 very good teams in London, Kitchener, Owen Sound and Guelph that are currently in spots 1, 3, 4 and 5.

So Sarnia finishes 6th = they face the 2nd best of those teams.

London and Kitchener completely dominated the Sting last week. A sweep or a 5 game series loss would probably be the result.
I think they're already in 6th place in the conference.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
I think they're already in 6th place in the conference.
I know they are. What I am saying is it looks like it will either be the 2nd place (if they win division) or at best 6th place because there are 4 better teams in the other division.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:43 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
I know they are. What I am saying is it looks like it will either be the 2nd place (if they win division) or at best 6th place because there are 4 better teams in the other division.
Ohh, I see.

Yes, that seems the most likely as of now.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:47 PM
le_sean

It would be stupid to want him traded. He needs to learn how to carry a ****** team, because that's what he'll be doing in Montreal most of his career.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
It would be stupid to want him traded. He needs to learn how to carry a ****** team, because that's what he'll be doing in Montreal most of his career.
I agree, I hope he doesn't get traded. Memorial Cup run will be a nice bonus to development but I think carrying to Sting and facing the most adversity now will get him most ready for when he makes the NHL at 19 (which IMO is all but a guarantee).

Old
11-27-2012, 07:08 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
That is true, but he would get a lot of experience in a long playoffs run, either with Sting (unlikely) or an OHL contender or even with the Bulldogs.

I'm not advocating to trade him, just saying what the upside is if he is traded, but I ain't against it either.

Last edited by AJMHABS: 11-27-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old
11-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
Stupid?! Because wanting him to play as many games as possible this year is a bad thing? Wanting him to experience a long playoff run and a possible Memorial Cup tournament isn't something worthwhile?

He'll have carried the Sting to decent levels for half a season. And the odds are strong he'll still be a key player on a new team if he were to be traded.

And mind giving me lottery numbers while you are forecasting 5-15 years down the road?

Old
11-27-2012, 08:18 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Stupid?! Because wanting him to play as many games as possible this year is a bad thing? Wanting him to experience a long playoff run and a possible Memorial Cup tournament isn't something worthwhile?

He'll have carried the Sting to decent levels for half a season. And the odds are strong he'll still be a key player on a new team if he were to be traded.

And mind giving me lottery numbers while you are forecasting 5-15 years down the road?
This is an interesting angle. On one hand u have him carrying a weak team which is good but he can potentially carry a team of stars as well which is better, shows he is on a different level

Old
11-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Fozz

Quote:

I would still prefer that he plays with the Habs if they deem him ready for a top-9 role and he gets decent ice-time. There's no experience like playing with the top players in the world. Plus, that would mean this stupid lockout is over.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:55 PM
MaxLacoste

I hope he don't get traded before february 1st, I just got ticket to the game in Ottawa. I cannot wait to see him.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:09 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
This is an interesting angle. On one hand u have him carrying a weak team which is good but he can potentially carry a team of stars as well which is better, shows he is on a different level
Quote:

These are the advantages of Gally getting traded to a contender that I was talking about in my post. For those saying he needs to show he can carry the team, he has thus far, and he has the ability to be the top guy on any contender in OHL and carry a team like Guelph, Kitchener, even London to the Mem. Cup.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:12 PM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
I hope he don't get traded before february 1st, I just got ticket to the game in Ottawa. I cannot wait to see him.
I think he gets traded in January, a bit after the WJC, if Beaulieu decides to rebuild.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Not sure what he'll learn more after Christmas by carrying his team on his back that he is right now. You already know what he does when a team isn't that talented. He's showing it right now. But there's so much he can do. What he also has to show is that while extremely talented, what if he joins a team when he's not the sole attraction...can he cope with that? Will he become better or just take his place. Will he be able to deal with the pressure of HAVING to perform instead of being too confortable in a "No pressure, you don't play in a good team" environment"?. We know what he does with an average team. Time to do what he'll go in a very good one, time to see him when the going gets tougher in the playoffs and when it might be even tougher at the Mem Cup if it's possible.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:29 PM
le_sean

Quote:

You took my post a little too seriously.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:02 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
You took my post a little too seriously.
To be fair, you did call his stance "stupid". You may have used too harsh of a word?

Old
11-28-2012, 02:54 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
To be fair, you did call his stance "stupid". You may have used too harsh of a word?
mod abuse tbh

Old
11-28-2012, 03:10 AM
AJMHABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
mod abuse tbh

HAHAHA

Ohh man I should be in bed sleeping right now.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:11 PM
LeHaboholique

Going to see Galchenyuk on Sunday in Oshawa. Im super exited to watch him play against someone like Jenner who has also been doing fantastic this year and see how he plays out against a player who this year is on his level. il keep you guys posted after the game to tell you how it went.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:50 PM
jlawrence

Any chance that anyone knows where I can find a highlight package of Galchenyuk with plays from this year? Checked youtube and I didnt see anything, only individual games

Old
11-29-2012, 04:33 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence View Post
Any chance that anyone knows where I can find a highlight package of Galchenyuk with plays from this year? Checked youtube and I didnt see anything, only individual games
maplehawks is on twitter had has tons of highlight packages of every prospect. Give him a follow.

Closed Thread