HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Lockout Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 07:50 PM
no name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
So, when they are playing games, that would mean that Bettman cares about the NHL then, but not during a lockout??

And the old tried and true jab "he ain't a hockey fan." He's been the commissioner for 20 years, I'm pretty sure he's been exposed to quite a bit of hockey. How many more years would he have to be commissioner to be considered a "hockey fan?" seriously.
It's always been said that GB was not a hockey guy. He's been around the game and is interested in it's well being but he's a business first guy.

Old
11-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
It's always been said that GB was not a hockey guy. He's been around the game and is interested in it's well being but he's a business first guy.
So, if someone said something about you that isn't true, we should accept that as fact as well?

11-24-2012, 10:47 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Doesn't make it true. He might not be a super fan we will never know, but to say that bettman has had a bad influence on the NHL its ridiculous. More profit then ever under bettman. He is just the face behind the owners that does what he has to whether he likes it or not. And what's funny is that people are spitting on his name when he's representing owners.

Old
11-24-2012, 11:58 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Doesn't make it true. He might not be a super fan we will never know, but to say that bettman has had a bad influence on the NHL its ridiculous. More profit then ever under bettman. He is just the face behind the owners that does what he has to whether he likes it or not. And what's funny is that people are spitting on his name when he's representing owners.
I never said any of that. In fact I hav ebeen saying that GB is just doing his job. I was merely supporting the poster that said GB is not a hockey fan. I don't know if he's a fan now or not but his biggest criticism has always been that the NHL brought in someone that admittedly knew nothing about the sport. Even when Goodell became commisioner of the NFL Mike and Mike were saying how important it was to have the new commisioner be an NFL man, and referenced GB being the opposite (meaning GB has not done well in his position).

Old
11-25-2012, 01:52 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
I never said any of that. In fact I hav ebeen saying that GB is just doing his job. I was merely supporting the poster that said GB is not a hockey fan. I don't know if he's a fan now or not but his biggest criticism has always been that the NHL brought in someone that admittedly knew nothing about the sport. Even when Goodell became commisioner of the NFL Mike and Mike were saying how important it was to have the new commisioner be an NFL man, and referenced GB being the opposite (meaning GB has not done well in his position).
Nah, I don't think it means squat. That is pure rubbish.

What is important for a commissioner is to grow a league and make it profitable. Bettman gets an A+ in both categories. The owners love the guy.

It doesn't matter if he even knows if the game is played on ice or not. What really matters is whether he is successful at his position.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:18 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Nah, I don't think it means squat. That is pure rubbish.

What is important for a commissioner is to grow a league and make it profitable. Bettman gets an A+ in both categories. The owners love the guy.

It doesn't matter if he even knows if the game is played on ice or not. What really matters is whether he is successful at his position.
This is very true when it comes to any position in a sports league.

Look at how many players thought Jordan being an owner was going to be some kind of boon for them...

Jordan has been one of the more vocal owners, saying the players are over paid in the NBA....

Same for Shanaban, plenty of players thought he was going to rule on the side of players....

Just cause someone has played in the league doesn't mean they are going to provide good results in said position.

Most of the time it turns out to be a disaster.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
It's always been said that GB was not a hockey guy.
Always? So that's it, 20 years being a hockey commissioner and you're still not a "hockey guy."

Quote:
He's been around the game and is interested in it's well being but he's a business first guy.
like that's a bad thing for the guy running the business?

Please, point out other successful league commissioners who were once professional athletes in that sport.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:25 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Always? So that's it, 20 years being a hockey commissioner and you're still not a "hockey guy."

like that's a bad thing for the guy running the business?

Please, point out other successful league commissioners who were once professional athletes in that sport.
Nobody said he wasn't a hockey guy now. Certainly not me.

In regards to your second quote, I don't think you are understanding a word I've said. First of all, I've said many times in this thread that GB is doing exactly what he needs to do. I've defended him. Second, who said anything about professional athletes? That's absurd.

Old
11-25-2012, 08:54 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Some people are still standing by the notion that there will be an agreement in place for early 13nhl play. Salvaging some season.........

Old
11-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Winger23

I'm not up to speed on all that's offered but its pretty crappy if the players can't accept a say cut when people are even lucky to have a job these days. It's also pretty crappy the owners don't lessen demands on the none current money issues. Just pure rubbish all around.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:22 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Some people are still standing by the notion that there will be an agreement in place for early 13nhl play. Salvaging some season.........
You mean around Christmas right. I hope they pull off an NBA but Fehr and friends look like they have the IQ of a Potato.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Probably the same people that predicted hockey would be back in time for Thanksgiving.

At this point in time, there has been nothing to indicate there will be any agreement in place for the foreseeable future. These guys are not even meeting! You would think that Bettman, Daly, Fehr and Fehr would have nothing else to do (besides Xmas shopping, maybe) but it's a stare-off.

Really, it has been head-scratching, watching these bone-heads NOT negotiate.

Old
11-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Here is an article on at least one team in its prime getting a little ansy to get a season started. I'm surprised the Kings' players are not coming out with the same attitude...they are in the same boat as the Rangers.

Henrik Lundqvist, NY Rangers know they have Stanley Cup potential ... frustrated not to be able to prove it on the ice

Old
11-26-2012, 11:33 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
You mean around Christmas right. I hope they pull off an NBA but Fehr and friends look like they have the IQ of a Potato.

There are several players and agents who are happy to talk about their displeasure off the record at how things are going and most of them are saying the exact same thing and that is that they aren't going to sit back and let an entire season slip away with nothing to show for it. Both sides are feeling the squeeze and are trying to make the other blink first but that will only go on so long before someone actually blinks.

I have heard that most people are optimistic that we might see NHL play start up again as early as January but I haven't seen any indications that this might be true.

Some of the indicators that I look at outside of the usual (talking with players coaches agents etc) are things like booking availability at major sporting arenas where NHL teams play, conditional contracted employees (some arenas use these types of contracts for everything from their soda jerks to their ice crews and more) and each level of NHL officials (refs, scorers etc).

So far nobody is making any plans or any bookings for travel for Dec through Jan but that can change at a moments notice so it isn't a great indicator of what might be happening, only solid proof that something has happened once something does.

That said, allot of people seem to think that things are about to get done and that we will see some NHL hockey to start the new year. I am optimistic but my gut says who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Probably the same people that predicted hockey would be back in time for Thanksgiving.

At this point in time, there has been nothing to indicate there will be any agreement in place for the foreseeable future. These guys are not even meeting! You would think that Bettman, Daly, Fehr and Fehr would have nothing else to do (besides Xmas shopping, maybe) but it's a stare-off.

Really, it has been head-scratching, watching these bone-heads NOT negotiate.
Actually, it is the exact same people who thought that hockey would be back to start December in my case but they are the people who play the game or coach/manage and represent the people who do so I guess it goes to show you that even they don't really have any idea of what is actually happening.

Some people say that there are and have been several more clandestine "meetings" (conference calls etc) between the two parties and that what they are discussing now more than anything is the percentage of sharing or at least that is the sticking point but who knows?

I know that I am still just as busy with what I do with the only exception being that I see more and more NHL kids playing in the minor leagues today then I did a few weeks ago so who knows how things are actually going.

The hockey has been pretty great and exciting all over the world due to the lockout but things feel weird without the NHL leading the way.

Think about this, the KHL SEL all of JR hockey which consists of several league's around the world and more are making more money due to the influx of NHL players during this short amount of time then they do in a typical year in most cases.

There is a team in the KHL who's ticket prices and attendance has almost tripled due to a couple of star players and every place that this team plays is sold out. Now think about the size of most EU rinks and how many humans they hold and you can see why everyone except the NHL has a vested interest in this lock out lasting as long as possible.

Not that it has any bearing on what is going on really, just a thought about how there isn't really any reason for any player to cry poverty if they are willing to travel in one way or another.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:07 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Completely random and all but how the hell is there so many luongo threads I think passing one thread capacity it already talking it to death. Why is there so much activity for a single goalie. I'm it's either canucks fan raging over every offer or I don't know.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

NHL and NHLPA spent over six hours meeting with the mediator today and will meet again tomorrow.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Most of today saw NHL and NHLPA separated from each other in different meetings each with mediators. Which was as expected.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Completely random and all but how the hell is there so many luongo threads I think passing one thread capacity it already talking it to death. Why is there so much activity for a single goalie. I'm it's either canucks fan raging over every offer or I don't know.
It's Canucks fans offering him to any team that they think needs him, then arguing that the team does need him.
I blame the lockout.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:19 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
It's Canucks fans offering him to any team that they think needs him, then arguing that the team does need him.
I blame the lockout.
So, it's Bettman's fault.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
NHL-NHLPA meeting with mediators over. Told no progress
I'm shocked.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Source also says no more meetings with mediators planned
I'm shocked even more.

Well, I am really beginning to lose the remaining bits of optimism of a season happening. This is a really, really bad development. I sure hope I am wrong, but I have been following this closely and I am beginning to believe the ownership group will not budge one inch.

It is either their way, or the highway, and if the players don't give in, we won't have a season. And its as though its okay with the owners.

I remember they told the NBA owners last year its better to lose a season in the long run. It appears they are going with the absolute same philosophy this time around as well.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:52 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
It is either their way, or the highway, and if the players don't give in, we won't have a season. And its as though its okay with the owners.
That's been Bettman's stance all along, which is why calling it a 'negotiation' was a joke. A negotiation is supposed to be a win win scenario with a fair and reasonable outcome to both parties. That means each side gives, is open and flexible.
I'm curious to see how many owners are upset with him at the Board of Governors meeting next week and what if any, influence that may have. I cant' believe the majority of owners want to lose a season, a fanbase and the future of the sport.

How can they not see that Bettman fails at this each time? The fact it's the second lockout in less than a decade is sad and pathetic. The only progress that was made was that 14 hour marathon session a few weekends ago by Daley and Steve Fehr.

When Bettman said last week, 'the fans will come back' I wanted to spit on his face on the monitor. How arrogant. I wish the entire NHL fanbase would not show up to the same amount of games lost this year , if it does resume. 50 game season? sit out 32 and see how the owners like that.

I was hopeful the mediators would be able to get through to him and that maybe by Jan , we'd get a 50 game partial season.
Now I' think the season is lost and the future is muddy.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Should be getting statements from both sides within the hour. This is easily the low point of the lockout.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:13 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
That's been Bettman's stance all along, which is why calling it a 'negotiation' was a joke. A negotiation is supposed to be a win win scenario with a fair and reasonable outcome to both parties. That means each side gives, is open and flexible.
I'm curious to see how many owners are upset with him at the Board of Governors meeting next week and what if any, influence that may have. I cant' believe the majority of owners want to lose a season, a fanbase and the future of the sport.

How can they not see that Bettman fails at this each time? The fact it's the second lockout in less than a decade is sad and pathetic. The only progress that was made was that 14 hour marathon session a few weekends ago by Daley and Steve Fehr.

When Bettman said last week, 'the fans will come back' I wanted to spit on his face on the monitor. How arrogant. I wish the entire NHL fanbase would not show up to the same amount of games lost this year , if it does resume. 50 game season? sit out 32 and see how the owners like that.

I was hopeful the mediators would be able to get through to him and that maybe by Jan , we'd get a 50 game partial season.
Now I' think the season is lost and the future is muddy.
Fehr wasn't hired to get a deal either. He's about the last guy you hire, if you plan on agreeing to any deal that involves a hard cap.

Both sides want more than just money, and they both brought the big guns in, which is why we'll be lucky if we're watching NHL hockey in January 2014.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Bettman proposed to Fehr and PA an owner-payer mtng only. No NHL or NHLPA brass. Fehr and PA are believed to be considering.

Closed Thread