HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Other Sports Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 01:51 AM
JWK
Missing Mueller

vCash: 157
I'm on the Gary Anderson as HC and Bob Stitt as OC bandwagon. Read on Rivals that Anderson is a strong candidate.

I enjoy this time of the year with all the rumors on coaching carousel.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Balls on the table!

vCash: 140
Here, we're now on the front page of ESPN.com.- http://espngo.com/college-football/story/_/id/8685178/colorado-buffaloes-troubles-leave-plenty-blame-go-college-football

Old
11-29-2012, 03:16 PM
JWK
Missing Mueller

I just have to say, Charlie Strong to CU makes no sense for Strong. I hate reading about all these rumors, I get excited/disappointed for no reason

Old
11-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
I think it's all smoke and mirrors to make CU seem interested in a black coach as accusations of being racist are being thrown around.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Petrino will go to auburn, strong can just wait out a big time SEC job.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:34 PM
JWK
Missing Mueller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Petrino will go to auburn, strong can just wait out a big time SEC job.
I believe that would be the case all along, however the rumored number out there is this:
Quote:
Reed Marks @reedmarks
STRONG rumor from multiple (3) boosters: Offer would be in the range of $14-16 million over 5 years. @footballscoop @MileHighSports
That will get any coach to listen. I'm preparing myself for disappointment though, I'll take anyone from Strong, Andersen, DeRyuter, Doeren, or McIntyre.

Btw Rockie, that's why you fire Embree. CU wouldn't have gotten much money from the boosters if Embree stayed.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Honestly, there is zero reason for this to happen. Strong is in a great spot right now.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:39 PM
JWK
Missing Mueller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Honestly, there is zero reason for this to happen. Strong is in a great spot right now.
I think he's just using us to get a raise. Here's the link as well.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/spor...-coaching-list

Old
11-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

He could use auburn or one of several other, better jobs for that.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:57 PM
chet1926

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
I think he's just using us to get a raise. Here's the link as well.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/spor...-coaching-list
Strong coming here would make no sense for him. He is already making 2.3 mil per year according to the article. The Buffs are only offering up to 2.5 per. Strong isn't going to leave an already credible D1 program that's moving to the ACC, for a as far down as possible program in the Pac-12 for only a 200K raise.

Strong will get a call from a desperate SEC team in the near future that is willing to make him a significant raise, and he won't have to rebuild from the ground up.

My prediction is Gary Andersen, with Bob Stitt as OC.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Rhaego

vCash: 50
Quote:
Btw Rockie, that's why you fire Embree. CU wouldn't have gotten much money from the boosters if Embree stayed.
You shouldn't let your boosters run your program, especially when there isn't a Phil Knight in sight.

The OTL thing today was bad, the firing wasn't really about race. It was about Bohn saving his ass and not backing Embree (I still firmly believe 2 years isn't nearly enough)

Old
11-29-2012, 06:26 PM
JWK
Missing Mueller

Boosters are important, not that hard to understand. CU wasn't getting much if they kept Embree, that's actually a well known fact. Obviously, it's not Phil Knight or T.Boone Pickens but something is better than nothing.

I'm anxious to see who gets this job, candidates this time around is wayyyyy better than candidates from two years ago. I'm done trying to connect the dots from these rumors

Old
11-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Boosters are important, not that hard to understand. CU wasn't getting much if they kept Embree, that's actually a well known fact. Obviously, it's not Phil Knight or T.Boone Pickens but something is better than nothing.
Bohn is out to save himself. He's the problem and no coach that comes here is going to do anything short of an Andrew Luck coming in and turning it around

Old
11-29-2012, 06:55 PM
JWK
Missing Mueller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Bohn is out to save himself. He's the problem and no coach that comes here is going to do anything short of an Andrew Luck coming in and turning it around
How is he the problem? Are you pulling a Klatt and blame Bohn instead of Embree?

Beside, outside football, Bohn has done well in other areas. However, if you blow in football, you'll be fired and Bohn will if he misses on this hire.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I don't see us getting any better until Bohn is gone. They have such a giant stride to make to even be an average PAC12 team that I don't see Bohn lasting more than 3-4 years. And when Bohn doesn't last, whoever the coach is will be gone as well.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
How is he the problem? Are you pulling a Klatt and blame Bohn instead of Embree?

Beside, outside football, Bohn has done well in other areas. However, if you blow in football, you'll be fired and Bohn will if he misses on this hire.
How do you figure hes done well in other areas? If hiring Tad Boyle is enough to be consider doing well, then we have differing definitions. Hes jumped the gun on coach firings (i.e. Embree or Bzdelik even though tad has worked out) and he hasn't raised money (some of these stories out there are ridiculous).

So what exactly has Bohn done well? And please don't say moving to the Pac 12

Old
11-29-2012, 08:09 PM
JWK
Missing Mueller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
How do you figure hes done well in other areas? If hiring Tad Boyle is enough to be consider doing well, then we have differing definitions. Hes jumped the gun on coach firings (i.e. Embree or Bzdelik even though tad has worked out) and he hasn't raised money (some of these stories out there are ridiculous).

So what exactly has Bohn done well? And please don't say moving to the Pac 12
Honestly, you can't give me a good reason for saying he jumped the gun on firing of Embree. You just can't, no talent isn't even a good excuse for losing to Sacramento State at home and then blown out by pretty much every single team in the Pac-12. He wanted to fire Hawkins after 4 years but he had no money, he didn't want to hire Embree but he had no money, now he had money from Pac-12 revenue to make changes.

He didn't fire Bz, Bz left for Wake Forest job. Linda Lappe seems like a solid hire, added lacrosse program, one of the top cross country teams in the country, and seems like brought in a solid volleyball coach in Liz Kritza. Not gonna comment on other areas like Women's soccer, golf, tennis, etc since I don't know. Pretty sure we're doing well for CU ski program.

How can't I say moving to the pac-12? That's ridiculous to say, besides like I said all this won't matter if he fails on the next coaching hire. He'll be gone if the hire sucked.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Honestly, you can't give me a good reason for saying he jumped the gun on firing of Embree. You just can't, no talent isn't even a good excuse for losing to Sacramento State at home and then blown out by pretty much every single team in the Pac-12.
The # of Freshman and Sophomores on this list is just staggering:
http://www.cubuffs.com/SportSelect.d...255&SPSID=3845

I agree Embree was not the greatest, but he had a legitimate gripe that the program was "restarted" and it was going to take some time to fully recover. Then Embree got the job started and the ball rolling but they bailed on him too early. You're going to lose at least half to 3/4 games just due to that youth.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:12 AM
JWK
Missing Mueller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
The # of Freshman and Sophomores on this list is just staggering:
http://www.cubuffs.com/SportSelect.d...255&SPSID=3845

I agree Embree was not the greatest, but he had a legitimate gripe that the program was "restarted" and it was going to take some time to fully recover. Then Embree got the job started and the ball rolling but they bailed on him too early. You're going to lose at least half to 3/4 games just due to that youth.
I was watching the Louisville/Rutgers game earlier and Louisville was pretty much on the same boat as us on young guys. They had a lot of freshman and sophomore playing.

I didn't expect much this year, maybe win 4 games or so. The way they lost was just eye opening to me, they were out of it by half time. When you get beat like that week in and week out, I just didn't see how Embree could survive this season because I don't think the team improved much throughout the year. Don't get me started on his stubborness to keep starting Webb and not playing younger players during blowout games.

Last edited by JWK: 11-30-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old
11-30-2012, 09:21 AM
chet1926

Quote:
I was watching the Louisville/Rutgers game earlier and Louisville was pretty much on the same boat as us on young guys. They had a lot of freshman and sophomore playing.

I didn't expect much this year, maybe 4 games or so. The way they lost was just eye opening to me, they were out of it by half time. When you get beat like that week in and week out, I just didn't see how Embree could survive this season because I don't think the team improved much throughout the year. Don't get me started on his stubborness to keep starting Webb and not playing younger players during blowout games.
Couldn't agree with you more. I've watched CU football for 20+ years and I can't remember a season quite as embarrassing as this one was. I understand that when you are playing as many young kids as the Buffs were there are gong to be some struggles. But that being said its not an excuse to get completely blown out every game. If you go back and watch some of the highlights of the games most of the TDs that the other teams would score would be so wide open they could walk into the endzone. I've seen middle of the road high school teams that played more fundamentally/positionally correct than the Buffs did last season. It was a true embarrassment, to watch some of these players on scholarship, play positions they have played their whole lives and act like they've never been coached at that position.

I think the most embarrassing play I remember last season was the punt return against Oregon where OU punt returner let the punt bounce over his head, then decides to field it running towards his own endzone, stumbles a couple of times, has time to turn around, runs laterally basically to the sideline so all the Buffs really have to do is force him to the sideline as it is an extra defender, but yet somehow during this entire circus of a play the Buffs can't even just play positionally correct so they allow him sneak up the sideline, untouched, for a punt return touchdown. When in real life a well coached team would have been down the field and as soon as the returner decided to field the ball facing the wrong way somebody would have pummeled him maybe causing a turnover because you don't field balls with your back to a defense.

Webb should have never been given a chance to be the starter, he was 5th year senior, thats too old for a rebuilding team the young QBs Wood or Hirschman should have been getting experience from day one.

So in my opinion Embree made some horrendous choices as coach this year, but as mentioned before 2 years is not enough time for anyone to attempt to turn around a program. The one thing that did bug me about Embree was all of his speeches where he would talk about the vast improvements the team was making, when it was clear as day that they were regressing in pretty much every aspect of the game. Sometimes it pays to be honest with the fan base, sometimes you just have to call the kettle black. Maybe if he had done this a little more he might have a job instead of feeding the fans a bunch of BS.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:24 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Gary Andersen staying at Utah State. How about Bronco Mendenhall?

Old
11-30-2012, 10:59 PM
JWK
Missing Mueller

I believe it was well known that Andersen wanted to stay at USU. He has 3 sons on the team and I also think he's waiting for Utah or BYU job, if those jobs ever get open in the near future.

I don't know why there isn't more talk about Mike MacIntyre, the turnaround he has done at San Jose State is just amazing. Flavor of the day was Butch Jones, think he goes to Purdue though.

Watching Northern Illinois/Kent State earlier, nice thing Dave Doeren got going there.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:38 AM
chet1926

Quote:
I believe it was well known that Andersen wanted to stay at USU. He has 3 sons on the team and I also think he's waiting for Utah or BYU job, if those jobs ever get open in the near future.

I don't know why there isn't more talk about Mike MacIntyre, the turnaround he has done at San Jose State is just amazing. Flavor of the day was Butch Jones, think he goes to Purdue though.

Watching Northern Illinois/Kent State earlier, nice thing Dave Doeren got going there.
With Anderson out of the mix, it appears CU is going to go all in on Butch Jones, not sure if it will happen as i looks like Purdue is going to do the same but that would be a solid hire for the Buffs.

I think plan B is Dan Mullen at Miss St., I think they'll throw the bank at him with the help of Boosters if they swing and miss at Butch. Hopefully money will talk, and surprisingly enough its my belief that some of the coaches at lesser SEC schools want to go to other conferences because they know they'll have a better shot at winning due to lesser competition.

I think plan C is DeRuyter because of the smaller name guys he probably has proven the most mainly due to his coordinator positions at big name schools.

My dark horse in Bronco Mendenhall, he is a great coach, and isn't making a ton at BYU, maybe money will talk

CU can't afford to go with a small name / unproven guys this time and that's probably why guys like MacIntyre at San Jose St aren't being thrown out there as much. If all else fails look for guys like MacIntyre to start getting a look but we'd have to strike out big time (which is totally possible due to the state of the program) before candidates like MacIntyre will be considered.

Old
12-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Dan Mullen is not a b option coach, he's a guy worth upwards of 3.5 on the market. He will get a premier job very soon.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:00 AM
anleva

Kansas City Chief LB Jovan Belcher shot his wife today, drove to the Chiefs practice facility and reportedly then approached Crennel and Pioli in the parking lot then pulled the trigger and shot himself.

Horrific.

Closed Thread