HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Team Canada 2014: Goalie #2

View Poll Results: #2
Roberto Luongo 69 40.59%
Cam Ward 81 47.65%
Marc-Andre Fleury 11 6.47%
Martin Brodeur 3 1.76%
Mike Smith 6 3.53%
James Reimer 0 0%
Corey Crawford 0 0%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2012, 03:01 PM
  #51
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavy View Post
This! And lol at Smith even gettin' one vote.
Price is basically a Luongo in the making, without the history of letdowns yet. In his last playoffs he beat out Thomas in the first round even though his team lost, he made highlight reel saves after an other and was the only play along with Subban to make a difference defensively.

All that being said, I think right now it's debatable and every goalie has some form of legitimate argument to be the starter. The lockout does not help this. But in the end, by next year, I think Price is ready to take the reigns of TC once and for all be it homer-ism or not.

poetryinmotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 03:03 PM
  #52
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NyLand
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,949
vCash: 500
Cam Ward.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 03:07 PM
  #53
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,963
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Price is basically a Luongo in the making, without the history of letdowns yet. In his last playoffs he beat out Thomas in the first round even though his team lost, he made highlight reel saves after an other and was the only play along with Subban to make a difference defensively.
So skip over Price's previous playoff performances...Just like people like to skip over Luongo's two shutouts in the SCF.

As of now, Price has done nothing to show he's better than Luongo. As the goalie who won the gold in 2010, the starters spot is Luongo's to lose. He might very well end up pulling a Brodeur, but until that happens Luongo will start.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:17 PM
  #54
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Luongo played great in the SCF, but also had a game or two where he didn't play well at all. But then again, he could technically use the poor defense excuse that everyone seems to use for Ward EVERY SINGLE SEASON to explain why his stats are consistently sub par, right?
You speak of double standards, yet bring this up. Even if Vancouver's defense was injured/suspended/whathaveyou (and frankly, what team ISN'T banged up by the time they reach the SCF), they were still better than the defense Ward had when HE played in the SCF. Unless you believe having Frank Kaberle, Mike Commodore, and a 40-year old Glen Wesley as your minute-eating defensemen was the key to Ward's success.

Even today, who would you claim is the star of Carolina's defense? 90% of the defense couldn't find the defensive zone if you gave them a map, and the two defensive-minded defensemen Carolina DOES have are a #2-3 at best (Gleason) and a #5-6 (Harrison).

If you can't see why there's a huge difference between Ward facing 2200 shots in a year and Luongo facing 1500, there's no talking to you.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:40 PM
  #55
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Price is basically a Luongo in the making, without the history of letdowns yet. In his last playoffs he beat out Thomas in the first round even though his team lost, he made highlight reel saves after an other and was the only play along with Subban to make a difference defensively.

All that being said, I think right now it's debatable and every goalie has some form of legitimate argument to be the starter. The lockout does not help this. But in the end, by next year, I think Price is ready to take the reigns of TC once and for all be it homer-ism or not.
Luongo regular season stats: .919SV%, 2.52GAA
Luongo playoff stats: .916SV&, 2.53GAA

Price regular season stats: .916SV%, 2.56GAA
Price playoff stats: .907SV%, 2.84GAA

Now, I don't disagree that Price is a great goalie with a very promising future (in fact, I voted for him in the #1 goalie poll), but saying that Price has no history of let-downs and Luongo does is laughable, and revisionist history at its finest. Price was a disappointment in the playoffs completely until his most recent series against Boston. Luongo meanwhile has career stats that are roughly the same in regular season and playoffs, he got his team to within a game of a Stanley Cup victory, and he was the starter in a Gold Medal performance in 2010. There are many arguments for Price (again, I voted for him), but a history of being clutch and/or not letting anyone down certainly is not one of them.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:44 PM
  #56
nitz
Registered User
 
nitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: North Korea
Posts: 1,705
vCash: 500
Luongo should be #1 and Price #2. Why did the OP assume that everyone would agree with Price being #1? Just makes him look like a presumpuous arse.

1. Luongo
2. Price
3. Ward/Fleury

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 05:12 PM
  #57
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
You speak of double standards, yet bring this up. Even if Vancouver's defense was injured/suspended/whathaveyou (and frankly, what team ISN'T banged up by the time they reach the SCF), they were still better than the defense Ward had when HE played in the SCF. Unless you believe having Frank Kaberle, Mike Commodore, and a 40-year old Glen Wesley as your minute-eating defensemen was the key to Ward's success.

Even today, who would you claim is the star of Carolina's defense? 90% of the defense couldn't find the defensive zone if you gave them a map, and the two defensive-minded defensemen Carolina DOES have are a #2-3 at best (Gleason) and a #5-6 (Harrison).

If you can't see why there's a huge difference between Ward facing 2200 shots in a year and Luongo facing 1500, there's no talking to you.
Hamhuis had a sports hernia and was out of the series midway through game 1.
Bieksa had fractured ribs and a bruised MCL.
Edler had a bad back, and broken fingers that bothered him throughout all of last season as well.
Ehrhoff had a torn shoulder that required surgery.
Rome was suspended in game 3.
Salo was playing with a bad groin.

In fact, our only healthy defenseman really was Chris Tanev who's a rookie. So yes, I would say that the Canucks would have killed to have been able to play Carolina's defense in that series. What double standard are you talking about??

Cam Ward averaged 31.5 shots per game this past season. Luongo averaged 29 shots per game this past season. Does an extra couple of shots per game really make that much of a difference? No one is claiming that Luongo's defensive talent in front of him isn't better than Ward's, but Luongo's production has also been quite superior to Ward. In fact, for a 2 month stretch last season Cam Ward couldn't stop a beach ball. And, another point people continue to ignore, Cam Ward looked absolutely terrible playing behind the most talented Canadian team at the World Hockey Championships in a long long time. He's proven he isn't that great.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 05:27 PM
  #58
Fire Dumboer
Registered User
 
Fire Dumboer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,659
vCash: 500
I chose Ward over Luongo for one reason in two years Ward will be 30 Luongo will be 35

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:02 PM
  #59
Takashi
Registered User
 
Takashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
You guys can say Price > Luongo all you want, but it's Luongo's job to lose and most people know that. Luongo won Olympic gold with Canada last time as their starter, he'd have to play himself out of the job or severely drop off before then. Heck, if you compare years head to head there isn't a single year where Price beat Luongo statistically. I know Luongo is hated on HF, but he isn't hated by the people running team Canada.
Luongo is a chocker. He isn't consistent. He plays bad when their is lot of pressure. Looks at his last two playoffs. This time it will be the olympics, which has way more pressure than the playoffs. Price, he plays with the Montreal Canadiens where there is a lot pressure and does well. So he's the guy who could play well and be consistent. Sure look at his stats, Luongo play for a team that has been the president trophy winners two years in a row, while price plays for the third worst team last seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I really don't understand how people picked Price over Luongo, let alone Ward.

In Luongo's last international action he won gold at the Olympics. In Ward's last international action he got ventilated and looked really bad in net behind the most talented Canadian team at the WHC we have had in a long time. Prior to that he looked really bad getting blown out in a gold medal game against Russia.

You can point to Luongo having a bad year all you want, but Luongo's bad year this year was still statistically much better than Cam Ward. Where is the logic?
Well Price >>> Luongo . Luongo wasn't the reason Canada won the Olympics ..

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:07 PM
  #60
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan
 
PoutineSp00nZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
You guys can say Price > Luongo all you want, but it's Luongo's job to lose and most people know that. Luongo won Olympic gold with Canada last time as their starter, he'd have to play himself out of the job or severely drop off before then. Heck, if you compare years head to head there isn't a single year where Price beat Luongo statistically. I know Luongo is hated on HF, but he isn't hated by the people running team Canada.
Luongo almost cost Canada the gold medal despite having the best team in the tournament in front of him. The team won despite him, not because of him

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:21 PM
  #61
Trap Jesus
Registered User
 
Trap Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,081
vCash: 500
1. Price
2. Ward
3. Luongo

Nothing against Luongo but I may even look to fill the third spot with a younger guy just so he can get experience. What young goalie deserves that honor though, I couldn't tell you.

To be honest though, I don't really feel comfortable with any Canadian goalie besides Price. Ward is good, but I think he gets overrated. Luongo gets underrated overall, but I just question his ability in big games.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:32 PM
  #62
DevilsAnimal*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Luongo almost cost Canada the gold medal despite having the best team in the tournament in front of him. The team won despite him, not because of him
This omg this

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:24 PM
  #63
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Luongo almost cost Canada the gold medal despite having the best team in the tournament in front of him. The team won despite him, not because of him
What the hell are you talking about? With Brodeur in net Canada was looking like they would be a huge disappointment. Luongo came in and, while he didn't carry the team, he played good enough to win. He also came up with some pretty big saves in the tournament. If you hate Luongo because its just the cool thing to do just say so, but coming up with something that's just plain wrong is a stupid argument.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:30 PM
  #64
MAK19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
What the hell are you talking about? With Brodeur in net Canada was looking like they would be a huge disappointment. Luongo came in and, while he didn't carry the team, he played good enough to win. He also came up with some pretty big saves in the tournament. If you hate Luongo because its just the cool thing to do just say so, but coming up with something that's just plain wrong is a stupid argument.
he said the gold medal game. He is right. You are wrong.

Lou is consistently inconsistent. And he will be his team's backup. He should not be on Team Canada.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:36 PM
  #65
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
he said the gold medal game. He is right. You are wrong.

Lou is consistently inconsistent. And he will be his team's backup. He should not be on Team Canada.
Uh no, I'm quite right. Luongo was the better goalie in the gold medal game. He won the game! What the hell are you talking about? Or are you suggesting he should make the save when there are 2 American players left alone in his crease due to blown coverage from Weber and Niedermayer?? then again, if it were Cam Ward it would have been a great game because he was handicapped due to a bad water boy on the bench. This is getting ridiculous.

Why doesn't Luongo deserve to be there? Yet Cam Ward does? Ward played like crap for Canada at the WHC, yet people ignore this. Why? Not a single person has responded to this.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:55 PM
  #66
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Why doesn't Luongo deserve to be there? Yet Cam Ward does? Ward played like crap for Canada at the WHC, yet people ignore this. Why? Not a single person has responded to this.
Blind HFBoards Canuck hate. How else could Daniel Sedin be reviled by anyone?

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:02 PM
  #67
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 43,521
vCash: 50
when we win it is in spite of him, when we lose it is because of him...

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:07 PM
  #68
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
when we win it is in spite of him, when we lose it is because of him...
When Cam Ward plays like absolute **** and costs us in the WHC TWICE, everyone forgets it. But when Luongo wins a Gold medal at the Olympics in his home country, under the absolute most pressure you could ever play in, it's "oh he ALMOST cost us blah blah blah." The arguments have gotten completely illogical.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:13 PM
  #69
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg
 
VinnyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 新香
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Luongo almost cost Canada the gold medal despite having the best team in the tournament in front of him. The team won despite him, not because of him
HF will never, ever cease to amuse. The Canucks could've kept Boston off the scoreboard throughout the SCF, but we'd probably be hearing how the amazing Andrew Alberts and Christian Ehrhoff stepped up and covered for Luongo's mistakes. He could've won the Conn Smythe, but we'd be hearing about the "media bias" that glorifies an overrated goalie.

Team Canada is soooo much better than anyone else, that's why they got pounded by Russia with Brodeur in net? Or how they didn't run over Slovakia or the USA?

What does Luongo has to do to earn HF's respect? Deke past Crosby with a spin-o-rama?

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:15 PM
  #70
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11,304
vCash: 185
I'm an Oiler fan but it really should be Luongo. He's a lot better than Cam Ward.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:20 PM
  #71
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 43,521
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
When Cam Ward plays like absolute **** and costs us in the WHC TWICE, everyone forgets it. But when Luongo wins a Gold medal at the Olympics in his home country, under the absolute most pressure you could ever play in, it's "oh he ALMOST cost us blah blah blah." The arguments have gotten completely illogical.
it's because lesser goalies (Ward) need excuses

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:27 PM
  #72
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
it's because lesser goalies (Ward) need excuses
The thing is that Luongo has a lot of proving to do as a NHL goaltender despide being an established netminder. You all talk like he's a shoe-in for international competition when he is probably starting on an even keel as Price and Ward. They will have to battle it out during camp, and that is objectively. But I feelings are that Price will be the best netminder for that team come 2014.

poetryinmotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:29 PM
  #73
Machinehead
Moderator
TG15:WoodlandCritter
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,118
vCash: 500
Like poetryinmotion said, it's not rocket science. Luongo isn't the best goalie on his own team.

Voted Ward.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:31 PM
  #74
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
The thing is that Luongo has a lot of proving to do as a NHL goaltender despide being an established netminder. You all talk like he's a shoe-in for international competition when he is probably starting on an even keel as Price and Ward. They will have to battle it out during camp, and that is objectively. But I feelings are that Price will be the best netminder for that team come 2014.
I disagree that Luongo has a lot of proving to do as an NHL goaltender. He's proven he's an elite goalie. He's proven he's a top 5 goalie. He's proven he can take his team to the Stanley Cup finals. He has also proven that he needs some resemblance of a healthy defense though, but I don't think ANY goalie would be successful behind a defense that decimated by injury. He's gone further in the playoffs than typical HF lovergoalies Lundqvist, Rinne and Miller. He's a damn good goalie who won the gold medal on the highest pressure stage of them all, yet he doesn't get any credit. It's disgusting.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:32 PM
  #75
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 43,521
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
The thing is that Luongo has a lot of proving to do as a NHL goaltender despide being an established netminder. You all talk like he's a shoe-in for international competition when he is probably starting on an even keel as Price and Ward. They will have to battle it out during camp, and that is objectively. But I feelings are that Price will be the best netminder for that team come 2014.
I completely agree with the bolded, hence why I voted for Price in the first poll, but I strongly believe that Luongo is the clear backup over Ward (which is what this poll is about). Also I doubt they start Price over Luongo though because that's how I think Hockey Canada will operate, giving Luongo the job to lose. skill wise imo it is

Price
Luongo
Ward/Fleury

but Canada will start
Luongo
price
ward/fleury

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.