HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Madness the 8th: Josh Johnson Edition.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2012, 02:56 PM
  #26
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Jon Heyman of CBS reporting that the Braves intend to non-tender Jair Jurjjens.

Might be an interesting candidate for that 5th spot depending on the cost.

Was lights out in '11 and struggled mightily in '12. Any of you non-lazy sabrmetricians want to take a run this?
Velocity is a big concern. Declining K% + Increasing BB% + Declining Velocity + AL East = Bad news.

As for 2011, his numbers were supported by a ridiculously high LOB% and an unusually low babip. His SIERA showed that his ERA was based in a lot of luck.

I'd only bring him in as a minor league free agent.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 03:01 PM
  #27
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
No thanks. Can't stay healthy and what used to be an above average fastball is now more like in the Cecil range topping out at 92. He would get killed in the AL East.

I would sign on a split minor league deal with incentives if he makes it to the majors and get a certain amount for IP. Nothing more than that.
Yeah almost certain someone will give him more than that.

He's similar to Liriano, a guy whose living off the name/performance more than anything. Amazing the swing that can happen from one year to the next.

Another interesting candidate that might be available is Bruce Chen... who KC is apparently open to moving. If the price is low, he might be a great guy to come in and battle Happ for that swingman/5th starter role.

Chen could probably keep Happ hungry, while being able to provide us with some good long relief innings.

topched is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 03:27 PM
  #28
Scotianhab
Registered User
 
Scotianhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,728
vCash: 500
Blue Jays 3rd rd pick in 2012 Anthony Alford was recently arrested for aggravated assault. If he gets expelled at least he will focus 100% on baseball.

http://www.studentprintz.com/two-stu...4#.ULeZ5xiNA7C

Scotianhab is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 03:41 PM
  #29
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,597
vCash: 500
Nats just acquired Denard Span for 2011 first rounder Alex Meyer.

Another move that weakens the AL... not bad

Gotta wonder if a firesale is coming in Minny... Morneau could be next.

topched is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 03:42 PM
  #30
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,335
vCash: 500
Whoa, Nats acquire Denard Span for Alex Meyer. I think I like it more for the Nats. Got a solid CF and he is cost effective. Meyer is a bit away (got up to High A last year as a 22 year old) and Nats have enough starting pitching that allows them to make this move.

Personally think Twins sold low on Span IMO. Quality cost effective CF and they only got one piece back that is a bit away from the majors.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 03:47 PM
  #31
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Nats just acquired Denard Span for 2011 first rounder Alex Meyer.

Another move that weakens the AL... not bad

Gotta wonder if a firesale is coming in Minny... Morneau could be next.
Fire sale of what? Outside of a few pieces they don't have much talent.

Woodman19 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 03:51 PM
  #32
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Fire sale of what? Outside of a few pieces they don't have much talent.
Willingham as well, there's been talk for a while that they may be ready to move him.

Two relatively big pieces, even if Morneau isn't much more than a name at this point. Be interesting to see what they do with Mauer, local boy who is easily their best player, but probably doesn't fit the "rebuild". Doubt they move him but still..

I'd love if we could get our hands on Willingham. Would be a solid DH.. more of a pipe dream though.

topched is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 03:52 PM
  #33
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Fire sale of what? Outside of a few pieces they don't have much talent.
Josh Willingham seems like a good piece to trade right now. Teams always want impact bat and Willingham is that. Great contract and his value will never be higher.

Poor Joe Mauer. He is going to be playing on some really crappy Twins team for a long time.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 04:14 PM
  #34
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,703
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Josh Willingham seems like a good piece to trade right now. Teams always want impact bat and Willingham is that. Great contract and his value will never be higher.

Poor Joe Mauer. He is going to be playing on some really crappy Twins team for a long time.
Good thing he has one of the most insane contracts ever

but the Twins do have some really good prospects. Only problem is their position prospects are like our pitching prospects, quite a ways away.

Eyedea is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 04:18 PM
  #35
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,597
vCash: 500
Alot of reporters saying the Nats may back off of Adam Laroche now that they've acquired Span, including Jim Bowden and Jon Heyman. (not sure how this makes sense)

But boy what I would give to sign LaRoche. If you could get him on a 2-3 year deal that would be awesome. 33 Hr's and an .850 OPS from the left side. Hit him between or after Bautista and EE. I know those were career highs, but even in the RC if he could give you 800+ OPS and 25+ homers, that would be a coup.

Not to mention the GG caliber defense.

*drool*

topched is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 04:22 PM
  #36
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,703
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Alot of reporters saying the Nats may back off of Adam Laroche now that they've acquired Span, including Jim Bowden and Jon Heyman. (not sure how this makes sense)

But boy what I would give to sign LaRoche. If you could get him on a 2-3 year deal that would be awesome. 33 Hr's and an .850 OPS from the left side. Hit him between or after Bautista and EE.

*drool*
Right, because with Span now Morse is out of the outfield and likely back at 1B. Solid move for them considering they now get a solid defender, and put Morse somewhere he doesn't totally suck.

Putting Laroche on this team just makes that lineup look so nasty. Can't even fathom the difference between the '12 lineup and the '13 lineup.

Eyedea is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 04:24 PM
  #37
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Alot of reporters saying the Nats may back off of Adam Laroche now that they've acquired Span, including Jim Bowden and Jon Heyman. (not sure how this makes sense)

But boy what I would give to sign LaRoche. If you could get him on a 2-3 year deal that would be awesome. 33 Hr's and an .850 OPS from the left side. Hit him between or after Bautista and EE.

Not to mention the GG caliber defense.

*drool*
He doesn't make sense for them anymore because they now have an outfield of Span/Harper/Werth with Morse being pushed from OF to 1st base and unless they trade Morse, its hard to see Laroche returning.

I think Red Sox will make a good run at him, maybe the Rangers? His market seems kinda limited at the moment.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 04:27 PM
  #38
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
Blue Jays 3rd rd pick in 2012 Anthony Alford was recently arrested for aggravated assault. If he gets expelled at least he will focus 100% on baseball.

http://www.studentprintz.com/two-stu...4#.ULeZ5xiNA7C
If he's even allowed to cross the border.

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 04:30 PM
  #39
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
If he's even allowed to cross the border.
what does that have to do with anything. He's a minor leaguer and every affiliate is in the states

dredeye is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 04:32 PM
  #40
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,703
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
what does that have to do with anything. He's a minor leaguer and every affiliate is in the states
Vancouver Canadians*

Eyedea is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 04:32 PM
  #41
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
what does that have to do with anything. He's a minor leaguer and every affiliate is in the states
Vancouver is in the states now?

RayzorIsDull is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 04:45 PM
  #42
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle
 
DatsyukianDeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,822
vCash: 500
Don't know if this was posted yet or not.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...e_call_tweets/

Sums up the call from today with Buehrle.

DatsyukianDeke is online now  
Old
11-29-2012, 04:46 PM
  #43
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Yeah almost certain someone will give him more than that.

He's similar to Liriano, a guy whose living off the name/performance more than anything. Amazing the swing that can happen from one year to the next.

Another interesting candidate that might be available is Bruce Chen... who KC is apparently open to moving. If the price is low, he might be a great guy to come in and battle Happ for that swingman/5th starter role.

Chen could probably keep Happ hungry, while being able to provide us with some good long relief innings.
Hochevar is available too, his numbers are pretty bad though.

mapes is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 04:54 PM
  #44
Federko
Registered User
 
Federko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
If we were going to spend over 10 mil a year on a FA i'd want it to be a SP. Bourn is good, but not something we neccessarily need right now. Rasmus is good enough defensively to stay out there, and he has decent power. Maybe with a new hitting coach he can get his BA above .250 which would be solid. On top of that we have Gose who could probably turn into a similar player to Bourn, but a lot younger and for a lot less money.
Dude..there really is no pitching available on the FA market for 10 mil. that makes sense... Sanchez and the other guys that would make sense want like 90mil for 6 years... Bourn makes sense. Trade the abundance of OF for pitching...we only need a #5 pitcher....Someone like Chen from KC... perfect fit.... Now there is news of Span being traded for a first round pick? You never what you can get from a team like the Twins pitching wise/1b/dh wise. Bring in Bourn. Check the other teams like Minny...KC...

Federko is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 05:04 PM
  #45
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,703
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
Dude..there really is no pitching available on the FA market for 10 mil. that makes sense... Sanchez and the other guys that would make sense want like 90mil for 6 years... Bourn makes sense. Trade the abundance of OF for pitching...we only need a #5 pitcher....Someone like Chen from KC... perfect fit.... Now there is news of Span being traded for a first round pick? You never what you can get from a team like the Twins pitching wise/1b/dh wise. Bring in Bourn. Check the other teams like Minny...KC...
Bourn is 30, and is seeking a massive contract. How does he make any sense for the team?

Eyedea is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 05:04 PM
  #46
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,946
vCash: 500
Laroche huh

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 05:36 PM
  #47
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
They talked about the details in Tim & Sid this afternoon for Buerhles. Sum it up in one sentence is he's happy to be in Toronto and he's still looking for a work around on his pitbull problem.
The interesting thing for me was that in Miami there is also a ban on pitbulls so it's not like he is getting into a new problem here.

Suntouchable13 is online now  
Old
11-29-2012, 05:39 PM
  #48
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Vancouver is in the states now?
I forgot about the back to back champion Canadians but either way they can avoid sending him there if they had to. I'll add that I doubt they would have to avoid it but you never know I guess.

dredeye is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 05:43 PM
  #49
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
The interesting thing for me was that in Miami there is also a ban on pitbulls so it's not like he is getting into a new problem here.
He could live just outside Miami to get around the ban. he would have to leave Ontario to get around the ban here. That would mean 4 hours or more commuting everyday.

cyris is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 05:48 PM
  #50
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
I forgot about the back to back champion Canadians but either way they can avoid sending him there if they had to. I'll add that I doubt they would have to avoid it but you never know I guess.
What about the big club if he has border issues?

cyris is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.