HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2012, 02:28 PM
  #126
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Kinda like when they hired Tillman?
The alumni were not on board with Tillman's hiring. Quite the opposite, apparently.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 06:01 PM
  #127
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,590
vCash: 500
People seem to have it in their heads that Rhodes has been part of the organization for several years or something. Tillman wasn't his guy, we had a bad season, and he acted quickly and fired Tillman. Shouldn't this be re-assuring? Rick Lalecheur would have promoted Tillman after a failed season, just like he did repeatedly with Maciocia.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 06:34 PM
  #128
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
People seem to have it in their heads that Rhodes has been part of the organization for several years or something. Tillman wasn't his guy, we had a bad season, and he acted quickly and fired Tillman. Shouldn't this be re-assuring? Rick Lalecheur would have promoted Tillman after a failed season, just like he did repeatedly with Maciocia.
I dunno, but when Rhodes gave that presser and asked why he fired Tillman, it wasn't exactly confident boosting.

Tad Mikowsky is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:43 PM
  #129
Kyle McMahon
Registered User
 
Kyle McMahon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Evil Empire
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I dunno, but when Rhodes gave that presser and asked why he fired Tillman, it wasn't exactly confident boosting.
I thought it was refreshing to have a team leader fire somebody before most expected it, as opposed to not at all or only after every single fan had vehemently pleaded for it for years.

I mean, look at franchises in this town. Maciocia, Lowe, Crandell, MacT...all retained far beyond their expiry dates to the severe detriment of their respective franchises. Finally a guy wasn't given years on end to destroy the team, he was fired after one bad year. Works for me, I'm not going to demand detailed reasoning from the guy who pulled the trigger.

Kyle McMahon is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 08:57 PM
  #130
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,827
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Rhodes did not hire Tillman though. Rick LeLacheur hired him. Rhodes took over as CEO after the fact. LeLacheur was also responsible for promoting Danny Macciocia to head of football operations. His legacy runs deep.
Big miss on my part....thanks for the correction Stoneman.

That aside...Rhodes had better get this right.

guymez is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 09:58 PM
  #131
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I thought it was refreshing to have a team leader fire somebody before most expected it, as opposed to not at all or only after every single fan had vehemently pleaded for it for years.

I mean, look at franchises in this town. Maciocia, Lowe, Crandell, MacT...all retained far beyond their expiry dates to the severe detriment of their respective franchises. Finally a guy wasn't given years on end to destroy the team, he was fired after one bad year. Works for me, I'm not going to demand detailed reasoning from the guy who pulled the trigger.
It would be refreshing if Rhodes fired himself for sheer incompetence.

He totally approved the Ray trade which gave marginal return. He was fine with the trade, supported it, then alludes to some actions during the year that he and others in the org were not pleased or comfortable with, yet continued to allow Tillman, who wasn't even around, to have full licence on team transactions and without even a requirement to OK it with his supervisors. Rhodes waited until our number one draft was traded for hockey pucks, waited while a dozen players without contracts ended the season without extensions, renewals or new contracts, then finally canned Tilman when he could do no more damage this season and which only served to be a distraction at the worst time and effectively only served to make the players answer to nobody at the time of the playoffs.

Sheer genius at work.

Replacement is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:31 PM
  #132
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Finally a guy wasn't given years on end to destroy the team, he was fired after one bad year.
With the Ray trade, Tillman did in a day what usually takes years.

Hockey Nightmare is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:50 PM
  #133
chrisj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
He totally approved the Ray trade which gave marginal return. He was fine with the trade, supported it, then alludes to some actions during the year that he and others in the org were not pleased or comfortable with, yet continued to allow Tillman, who wasn't even around, to have full licence on team transactions and without even a requirement to OK it with his supervisors.
To give some defence to Rhodes - Tillman traded Ray about 5-6 days into his job. Rhodes, who isn't a football guy, decided to let the GM do his job. In retrospect, it was a poor move on his part, but its hard to fault the guy.

He learned his lesson the hard way. We all do. For some people, its just more public than for others.

chrisj is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:37 PM
  #134
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I thought it was refreshing to have a team leader fire somebody before most expected it, as opposed to not at all or only after every single fan had vehemently pleaded for it for years.

I mean, look at franchises in this town. Maciocia, Lowe, Crandell, MacT...all retained far beyond their expiry dates to the severe detriment of their respective franchises. Finally a guy wasn't given years on end to destroy the team, he was fired after one bad year. Works for me, I'm not going to demand detailed reasoning from the guy who pulled the trigger.
We should rename this town the city of losers.

Tyrolean is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 08:29 AM
  #135
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,315
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I thought it was refreshing to have a team leader fire somebody before most expected it, as opposed to not at all or only after every single fan had vehemently pleaded for it for years.

I mean, look at franchises in this town. Maciocia, Lowe, Crandell, MacT...all retained far beyond their expiry dates to the severe detriment of their respective franchises. Finally a guy wasn't given years on end to destroy the team, he was fired after one bad year. Works for me, I'm not going to demand detailed reasoning from the guy who pulled the trigger.
Would've been refreshing if the timing made sense. Knew there was issues all year, but just pretended there was no issue.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
11-30-2012, 08:31 AM
  #136
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,315
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
It would be refreshing if Rhodes fired himself for sheer incompetence.

He totally approved the Ray trade which gave marginal return. He was fine with the trade, supported it, then alludes to some actions during the year that he and others in the org were not pleased or comfortable with, yet continued to allow Tillman, who wasn't even around, to have full licence on team transactions and without even a requirement to OK it with his supervisors. Rhodes waited until our number one draft was traded for hockey pucks, waited while a dozen players without contracts ended the season without extensions, renewals or new contracts, then finally canned Tilman when he could do no more damage this season and which only served to be a distraction at the worst time and effectively only served to make the players answer to nobody at the time of the playoffs.

Sheer genius at work.
Nicely put, but I do have a question. How many other teams have their players locked up?

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
12-03-2012, 11:30 AM
  #137
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Esks' Sherritt, Stamps and Burnett are named CFL all-stars. Remind me, who was that poster here who wanted Burnett benched? LOL!

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 02:39 PM
  #138
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Esks' Sherritt, Stamps and Burnett are named CFL all-stars. Remind me, who was that poster here who wanted Burnett benched? LOL!
For sure it wasn't me. I was the one calling out Kavis for going after Burnett like he did. To me it made no sense. One of your most reliable players in the backfield, also taking on the kick return role, and game for any and all assignments and THIS is the guy you're going to scream at on the sidelines? You don't do that with your go to guys. You find a better way to address it.

Replacement is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 02:54 PM
  #139
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
For sure it wasn't me. I was the one calling out Kavis for going after Burnett like he did. To me it made no sense. One of your most reliable players in the backfield, also taking on the kick return role, and game for any and all assignments and THIS is the guy you're going to scream at on the sidelines? You don't do that with your go to guys. You find a better way to address it.
I actually remember this specific post of yours backing Burnett up.

Reimer is offline  
Old
12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
  #140
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,827
vCash: 81
Any news on the GM front?

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 09:08 AM
  #141
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Any news on the GM front?
This interview with Len Rhodes (posted at last!) ought to answer your question:
http://www.theteam1260.com/Episodes.aspx?PID=1742
Go to Nov. 28 and listen to the last 50 minutes of Hour 4.

abootzky is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 11:47 AM
  #142
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,600
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
This interview with Len Rhodes (posted at last!) ought to answer your question:
http://www.theteam1260.com/Episodes.aspx?PID=1742
Go to Nov. 28 and listen to the last 50 minutes of Hour 4.
any summary for people without the time or desire to listen to the last 50 minutes of hour 4?

Gord is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 03:41 PM
  #143
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,315
vCash: 0
Anyone have a transcript for the Fred Stamps interview from yesterday? Couldn't understand 3/4 of what he was saying so I switched the station.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
12-04-2012, 06:08 PM
  #144
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Esks' Sherritt, Stamps and Burnett are named CFL all-stars. Remind me, who was that poster here who wanted Burnett benched? LOL!


I wanted him taken off special teams. Maybe sit him down for a quarter to send the message that he needs to think of whats best for the team and listen to instructions (if given them) on returns. Instead they continued to trot him out there on returns where he had more of a negative effect on games than positive.

What kind of moron would want our best DB to be continually put in a position to have opposing players teeing off on him. Especially when he isnt even a good return man?

nabob is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 07:00 PM
  #145
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I wanted him taken off special teams. Maybe sit him down for a quarter to send the message that he needs to think of whats best for the team and listen to instructions (if given them) on returns. Instead they continued to trot him out there on returns where he had more of a negative effect on games than positive.

What kind of moron would want our best DB to be continually put in a position to have opposing players teeing off on him. Especially when he isnt even a good return man?
True that.

Psycho Dad is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 10:28 PM
  #146
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I wanted him taken off special teams. Maybe sit him down for a quarter to send the message that he needs to think of whats best for the team and listen to instructions (if given them) on returns. Instead they continued to trot him out there on returns where he had more of a negative effect on games than positive.

What kind of moron would want our best DB to be continually put in a position to have opposing players teeing off on him. Especially when he isnt even a good return man?
Yeah, that's what I thought you might be suggesting, but that's not what you said. If you just wanted him off of kick returns, I can accept and agree with that.

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
12-04-2012, 11:51 PM
  #147
Six in O6
Registered User
 
Six in O6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I wanted him taken off special teams. Maybe sit him down for a quarter to send the message that he needs to think of whats best for the team and listen to instructions (if given them) on returns. Instead they continued to trot him out there on returns where he had more of a negative effect on games than positive.

What kind of moron would want our best DB to be continually put in a position to have opposing players teeing off on him. Especially when he isnt even a good return man?
Could have also been a roster issue. I recall last year we had a spot dedicated to Armsted for a certain period of time. He's a pretty handy guy to have around but I think Tillman may have handcuffed us there. I think Burnett may have been one of our better options but it was frustrating seeing him out there that often. We definitely didn't compete at an elite level in the special teams return department all year and nothing was done to address it.

Six in O6 is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 02:32 PM
  #148
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,038
vCash: 500
Shopping list for the new GM..

- first and foremost, sign the existing team FA's that are needed. Not everyone on that list of 14 is necessarily wanted back next year.

- try to sign one of the recent FA QB's (McPhail or Reilly being the most prominent) and bring in another QB on the neg list. Can never have too many at camp, IMO.

- sign a DB to replace Rod Williams

- try to sign a veteran FA O-Lineman, preferably a guy that can play centre to replace the shyte we have there now.

- bring in a batch of (legitimate) return prospects to compete for a job, unlike the useless pretenders that have been trotted in and out the last few years.


A big list to be sure, but we have all winter to get it done.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 02:38 PM
  #149
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,827
vCash: 81
- Reilly, Nichols and Dixon going into camp next year would give me confidence in the QB position going into next year.

That is what im hoping happens.

Apart from that, a NI C to slot between Rottier and Wojt.

A guy like Johnny Sears to replace Williams.

I still want one more LBer but not sure thats possible

Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
  #150
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,315
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
- Reilly, Nichols and Dixon going into camp next year would give me confidence in the QB position going into next year.

That is what im hoping happens.

Apart from that, a NI C to slot between Rottier and Wojt.

A guy like Johnny Sears to replace Williams.

I still want one more LBer but not sure thats possible
I often wonder if we should take a shot at Glenn. Add a proven Vet as a just in case.

joestevens29 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.