HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Kinda like when they hired Tillman?
The alumni were not on board with Tillman's hiring. Quite the opposite, apparently.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
11-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Kyle McMahon

People seem to have it in their heads that Rhodes has been part of the organization for several years or something. Tillman wasn't his guy, we had a bad season, and he acted quickly and fired Tillman. Shouldn't this be re-assuring? Rick Lalecheur would have promoted Tillman after a failed season, just like he did repeatedly with Maciocia.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
People seem to have it in their heads that Rhodes has been part of the organization for several years or something. Tillman wasn't his guy, we had a bad season, and he acted quickly and fired Tillman. Shouldn't this be re-assuring? Rick Lalecheur would have promoted Tillman after a failed season, just like he did repeatedly with Maciocia.
I dunno, but when Rhodes gave that presser and asked why he fired Tillman, it wasn't exactly confident boosting.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I dunno, but when Rhodes gave that presser and asked why he fired Tillman, it wasn't exactly confident boosting.
I thought it was refreshing to have a team leader fire somebody before most expected it, as opposed to not at all or only after every single fan had vehemently pleaded for it for years.

I mean, look at franchises in this town. Maciocia, Lowe, Crandell, MacT...all retained far beyond their expiry dates to the severe detriment of their respective franchises. Finally a guy wasn't given years on end to destroy the team, he was fired after one bad year. Works for me, I'm not going to demand detailed reasoning from the guy who pulled the trigger.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:57 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Rhodes did not hire Tillman though. Rick LeLacheur hired him. Rhodes took over as CEO after the fact. LeLacheur was also responsible for promoting Danny Macciocia to head of football operations. His legacy runs deep.
Big miss on my part....thanks for the correction Stoneman.

That aside...Rhodes had better get this right.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I thought it was refreshing to have a team leader fire somebody before most expected it, as opposed to not at all or only after every single fan had vehemently pleaded for it for years.

I mean, look at franchises in this town. Maciocia, Lowe, Crandell, MacT...all retained far beyond their expiry dates to the severe detriment of their respective franchises. Finally a guy wasn't given years on end to destroy the team, he was fired after one bad year. Works for me, I'm not going to demand detailed reasoning from the guy who pulled the trigger.
It would be refreshing if Rhodes fired himself for sheer incompetence.

He totally approved the Ray trade which gave marginal return. He was fine with the trade, supported it, then alludes to some actions during the year that he and others in the org were not pleased or comfortable with, yet continued to allow Tillman, who wasn't even around, to have full licence on team transactions and without even a requirement to OK it with his supervisors. Rhodes waited until our number one draft was traded for hockey pucks, waited while a dozen players without contracts ended the season without extensions, renewals or new contracts, then finally canned Tilman when he could do no more damage this season and which only served to be a distraction at the worst time and effectively only served to make the players answer to nobody at the time of the playoffs.

Sheer genius at work.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Finally a guy wasn't given years on end to destroy the team, he was fired after one bad year.
With the Ray trade, Tillman did in a day what usually takes years.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:50 PM
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
He totally approved the Ray trade which gave marginal return. He was fine with the trade, supported it, then alludes to some actions during the year that he and others in the org were not pleased or comfortable with, yet continued to allow Tillman, who wasn't even around, to have full licence on team transactions and without even a requirement to OK it with his supervisors.
To give some defence to Rhodes - Tillman traded Ray about 5-6 days into his job. Rhodes, who isn't a football guy, decided to let the GM do his job. In retrospect, it was a poor move on his part, but its hard to fault the guy.

He learned his lesson the hard way. We all do. For some people, its just more public than for others.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:

We should rename this town the city of losers.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:

Would've been refreshing if the timing made sense. Knew there was issues all year, but just pretended there was no issue.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
It would be refreshing if Rhodes fired himself for sheer incompetence.

He totally approved the Ray trade which gave marginal return. He was fine with the trade, supported it, then alludes to some actions during the year that he and others in the org were not pleased or comfortable with, yet continued to allow Tillman, who wasn't even around, to have full licence on team transactions and without even a requirement to OK it with his supervisors. Rhodes waited until our number one draft was traded for hockey pucks, waited while a dozen players without contracts ended the season without extensions, renewals or new contracts, then finally canned Tilman when he could do no more damage this season and which only served to be a distraction at the worst time and effectively only served to make the players answer to nobody at the time of the playoffs.

Sheer genius at work.
Nicely put, but I do have a question. How many other teams have their players locked up?

Old
12-03-2012, 11:30 AM
MoneyGuy

Esks' Sherritt, Stamps and Burnett are named CFL all-stars. Remind me, who was that poster here who wanted Burnett benched? LOL!

Old
12-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Esks' Sherritt, Stamps and Burnett are named CFL all-stars. Remind me, who was that poster here who wanted Burnett benched? LOL!
For sure it wasn't me. I was the one calling out Kavis for going after Burnett like he did. To me it made no sense. One of your most reliable players in the backfield, also taking on the kick return role, and game for any and all assignments and THIS is the guy you're going to scream at on the sidelines? You don't do that with your go to guys. You find a better way to address it.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
For sure it wasn't me. I was the one calling out Kavis for going after Burnett like he did. To me it made no sense. One of your most reliable players in the backfield, also taking on the kick return role, and game for any and all assignments and THIS is the guy you're going to scream at on the sidelines? You don't do that with your go to guys. You find a better way to address it.
I actually remember this specific post of yours backing Burnett up.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Any news on the GM front?

12-04-2012, 09:08 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Any news on the GM front?
This interview with Len Rhodes (posted at last!) ought to answer your question:
http://www.theteam1260.com/Episodes.aspx?PID=1742
Go to Nov. 28 and listen to the last 50 minutes of Hour 4.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
This interview with Len Rhodes (posted at last!) ought to answer your question:
http://www.theteam1260.com/Episodes.aspx?PID=1742
Go to Nov. 28 and listen to the last 50 minutes of Hour 4.
any summary for people without the time or desire to listen to the last 50 minutes of hour 4?

Old
12-04-2012, 03:41 PM
joestevens29

Anyone have a transcript for the Fred Stamps interview from yesterday? Couldn't understand 3/4 of what he was saying so I switched the station.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:08 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post

I wanted him taken off special teams. Maybe sit him down for a quarter to send the message that he needs to think of whats best for the team and listen to instructions (if given them) on returns. Instead they continued to trot him out there on returns where he had more of a negative effect on games than positive.

What kind of moron would want our best DB to be continually put in a position to have opposing players teeing off on him. Especially when he isnt even a good return man?

Old
12-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
I wanted him taken off special teams. Maybe sit him down for a quarter to send the message that he needs to think of whats best for the team and listen to instructions (if given them) on returns. Instead they continued to trot him out there on returns where he had more of a negative effect on games than positive.

What kind of moron would want our best DB to be continually put in a position to have opposing players teeing off on him. Especially when he isnt even a good return man?
True that.

Old
12-04-2012, 10:28 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:

Yeah, that's what I thought you might be suggesting, but that's not what you said. If you just wanted him off of kick returns, I can accept and agree with that.

Old
12-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Six in O6

Quote:

Could have also been a roster issue. I recall last year we had a spot dedicated to Armsted for a certain period of time. He's a pretty handy guy to have around but I think Tillman may have handcuffed us there. I think Burnett may have been one of our better options but it was frustrating seeing him out there that often. We definitely didn't compete at an elite level in the special teams return department all year and nothing was done to address it.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Stoneman89

Shopping list for the new GM..

- first and foremost, sign the existing team FA's that are needed. Not everyone on that list of 14 is necessarily wanted back next year.

- try to sign one of the recent FA QB's (McPhail or Reilly being the most prominent) and bring in another QB on the neg list. Can never have too many at camp, IMO.

- sign a DB to replace Rod Williams

- try to sign a veteran FA O-Lineman, preferably a guy that can play centre to replace the shyte we have there now.

- bring in a batch of (legitimate) return prospects to compete for a job, unlike the useless pretenders that have been trotted in and out the last few years.

A big list to be sure, but we have all winter to get it done.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
- Reilly, Nichols and Dixon going into camp next year would give me confidence in the QB position going into next year.

That is what im hoping happens.

Apart from that, a NI C to slot between Rottier and Wojt.

A guy like Johnny Sears to replace Williams.

I still want one more LBer but not sure thats possible

Old
12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
- Reilly, Nichols and Dixon going into camp next year would give me confidence in the QB position going into next year.

That is what im hoping happens.

Apart from that, a NI C to slot between Rottier and Wojt.

A guy like Johnny Sears to replace Williams.

I still want one more LBer but not sure thats possible
I often wonder if we should take a shot at Glenn. Add a proven Vet as a just in case.

Closed Thread