HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 PART II *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 11:42 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
The Isles need to change their logo to accommodate Brooklyn and Queens ASAP
Yeah, tradition sucks. And the Stanley Cup.....it should have the Brooklyn Bridge on it where we won the Cups. Maybe an etching of Arnold Horshack's name in the 1980 list. ASAP.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:35 AM
lorwood

Funny thread.

Tweaking the logo to include the entire geographical island is probably enough without being offensive or erasing the history.

An arm patch that gives a nod to Brooklyn is no big deal IMO.

But any wholesale changes are a bad idea IMO.

Once the team returns to a perennial playoff team this "dark period" will become an important part of the teams history. Wanting to wipe out this period by making wholesale changes is understandable but once the team gets to the point where they are a serious contender the anguish that has been caused by the recent history will subsided and, like I have already stated keeping the logo and colors will help tell the story including the "rise from the ashes"

Just my opinion

Old
11-29-2012, 10:31 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Funny thread.

Tweaking the logo to include the entire geographical island is probably enough without being offensive or erasing the history.

An arm patch that gives a nod to Brooklyn is no big deal IMO.

But any wholesale changes are a bad idea IMO.

Once the team returns to a perennial playoff team this "dark period" will become an important part of the teams history. Wanting to wipe out this period by making wholesale changes is understandable but once the team gets to the point where they are a serious contender the anguish that has been caused by the recent history will subsided and, like I have already stated keeping the logo and colors will help tell the story including the "rise from the ashes"

Just my opinion
Agreed on all accounts.

The right move was made a few years ago in returning to the classic Islander colors and jersey style. The logo should be tweaked in order to reflect the move to Brooklyn. Best option would be to change the "island" to include Brooklyn and Queens. Accurate and simple...in fact, I doubt people would even notice. I like the idea of adding a Brooklyn-themed shoulder patch.

Current thirds have got to go and I would absolutely welcome a tasteful Brooklyn themed 3rd jersey. Those would sell like hot cakes, I tell ya...perhaps even be one of the more hotter selling jerseys for the first year or two...again, as long as it's "tasteful".

Old
11-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Yeah, tradition sucks. And the Stanley Cup.....it should have the Brooklyn Bridge on it where we won the Cups. Maybe an etching of Arnold Horshack's name in the 1980 list. ASAP.
Look I never said the Nassau and Suffolk portions should be taken out. Just that Brooklyn and Queens should be added on TOP of the existing logo.

{Mod Edit} Did you really think the Isles would agree to minor renovations in the Coliseum just to play there beyond 2015?

Last edited by Homeland Security: 11-29-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Edit
Old
11-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Look I never said the Nassau and Suffolk portions should be taken out. Just that Brooklyn and Queens should be added on TOP of the existing logo.

{Mod Edit} Did you really think the Isles would agree to minor renovations in the Coliseum just to play there beyond 2015?
It would be funny (and appropriate) if NYI revised the logo to include Brooklyn, Queens and Suffolk and NOT nassau. They don't deserve to be on the logo. Nassau pols and the 3 fans left there don't matter.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 11-29-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Edit QP
Old
11-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
It would be funny (and appropriate) if NYI revised the logo to include Brooklyn, Queens and Suffolk and NOT nassau. They don't deserve to be on the logo. Nassau pols and the 3 fans left there don't matter.

Your undying hatred for Nassau is ridiculous and insulting.. You won you got the team in Brooklyn I'm satisfied since the team isn't moving out of the area. I get the mud slinging towards the politicians but you should stop with the barbs towards the thousands of fans that reside in Nassau.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Your undying hatred for Nassau is ridiculous and insulting.. You won you got the team in Brooklyn I'm satisfied since the team isn't moving out of the area. I get the mud slinging towards the politicians but you should stop with the barbs towards the thousands of fans that reside in Nassau.
The nassau residents voted for the pols they got. They also didn't approve the referendum averaging a 59 dollar tax increase for a new arena. They also didn't support NYI adequately. THAT'S what was ridiculous. They got what they deserve and lost their team. You should blame your neighbors as well as pols. I'm just an ecstatic messenger you are wrong to shoot.

You're right. I won. And it feels great and was the right thing and best for the franchise.

Last edited by Bert Marshall days: 11-29-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old
11-29-2012, 09:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

{Mod Edit}

The logo from the Stanley Cup winning teams, from year one, the one we fought tooth and nail to get back after "New Uniform"ophiles got their way. Maybe the Leafs should change their name to LEAVES.....get with the times. Who knows. I hope they don't. History is something I don't like ***** on. Nifty-poops as an idea might be. The Isles logo looks great. Always has.

Where is the "change the team name" thread again?

Last edited by Homeland Security: 11-29-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Edit
Old
11-30-2012, 08:57 AM
CREW99AW

I can't believe how this argument is dragging on among fans.

Isn't it clear by now after the press conference and statements from Wang and Bettman, that they are not greenlighting major changes to the name, logo or team colors ?

Imo we may see a tweak: the Island on the jersey extended to include Brooklyn.Maybe, as someone suggested a patch with Brooklyn on it.
But, we are not gonna see radical changes.

The Nets can afford to blowoff their history, change their logo and colors because they have very little, to be proud of in their NBA history.
The NYI have a dynasty in their history. No way should moving 27 miles away mean forgetting that, so they can get the short term boost of new merchandise sales.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
{Mod Edit}

The logo from the Stanley Cup winning teams, from year one, the one we fought tooth and nail to get back after "New Uniform"ophiles got their way. Maybe the Leafs should change their name to LEAVES.....get with the times. Who knows. I hope they don't. History is something I don't like ***** on. Nifty-poops as an idea might be. The Isles logo looks great. Always has.

Where is the "change the team name" thread again?
Ol' Time, I'm all for keeping with tradition as well. But it really doesn't make any sense NOT to incorporate the rest of Long Island into the logo. Keeping it as is when they move to Brooklyn means that they wouldn't be representing the area they actually play in on the team's crest. It doesn't really make any sense. Wouldn't that just reek of typical Islanders incompetence?

Old
11-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Closed. Continue in Part III

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post56160251

Last edited by Homeland Security: 12-01-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Closed Thread