HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Team Canada 2014: Goalie #2

View Poll Results: #2
Roberto Luongo 69 40.59%
Cam Ward 81 47.65%
Marc-Andre Fleury 11 6.47%
Martin Brodeur 3 1.76%
Mike Smith 6 3.53%
James Reimer 0 0%
Corey Crawford 0 0%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-29-2012, 07:33 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Like poetryinmotion said, it's not rocket science. Luongo isn't the best goalie on his own team.

Voted Ward.
You do realize the power of a small sample size don't you?

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:34 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I honestly don't get why Ward even deserves a job on the Olympic team? What has he really done in the past 5 years to suggest he deserves it? Absolutely nothing. He has choked in a gold medal game though, and he has looked like crap in another international tournament with a very talented team in front of him.

I can say this much: if Canada is relying on Cam Ward to backstop the team in 2014, we will not medal.

11-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I honestly don't get why Ward even deserves a job on the Olympic team? What has he really done in the past 5 years to suggest he deserves it? Absolutely nothing. He has choked in a gold medal game though, and he has looked like crap in another international tournament with a very talented team in front of him.
Ward leading the poll has more to do with Canada having a lousy goalie pool compared to countries like Finland and the US than anything else. Ward wouldn't make either of those teams.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
You do realize the power of a small sample size don't you?
It has nothing to do with sample size. I'm not even looking at stats here.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I came to this thread expecting a ****storm between y2kcanucks and some other person and I was not disappointed.

Luongo.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:40 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Ward leading the poll has more to do with Canada having a lousy goalie pool compared to countries like Finland and the US than anything else. Ward wouldn't make either of those teams.
No. Ward leading the poll has more to do with a stupid bias people have against Luongo. Luckily all this means is that the people of HFBoards will be wrong when 2014 comes and Luongo suits up as Canada's starting goaltender. That's all this proves.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
No. Ward leading the poll has more to do with a stupid bias people have against Luongo. Luckily all this means is that the people of HFBoards will be wrong when 2014 comes and Luongo suits up as Canada's starting goaltender. That's all this proves.
Luongo wouldn't be making team USA 2 years down the road either. He might make 3rd string on team Finland. He's in the same boat.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:46 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Luongo wouldn't be making team USA 2 years down the road either. He might make 3rd string on team Finland. He's in the same boat.
Disagree completely.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Disagree completely.
USA will have Quick, Schnieder, and Howard.

Finland will have Rinne, Rask, and Lethonen.

Out of those 6 who will Luongo -in two years at age 35- be better than?

Old
11-29-2012, 07:52 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
USA will have Quick, Schnieder, and Howard.

Finland will have Rinne, Rask, and Lethonen.

Out of those 6 who will Luongo -in two years at age 35- be better than?
Howard, possibly Schneider (not 100% sold on him as being better than Luongo), Rask, Lehtonen, and probably Rinne too as I believe he's overrated by being able to play behind two Norris calibre defensemen. In fact, Rinne has struggled mightily so far this year without Weber and Suter.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Well we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:54 PM
lboogie42*

broduer cuz im a major homer. but if i could pick id prolly pick crawford. IMO hes pretty underrated.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:56 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
It has nothing to do with sample size. I'm not even looking at stats here.
then you should of seen that Luongo and Schnieder consistently bailed out our team that was playing way below their skill level. Imo Luongo was the superior goalie this season and the only reason he lost his job in the PO was that AV was trying to spark our team, with the line juggling and such. It was a desperation move rather than a knock on Luongo.

Sample size always matters, it puts Schneider's stats into contex and shows that hey are most likely not substainable.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:56 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Well we'll have to agree to disagree.
Fair enough. Although I haven't read a single logical argument against Luongo. All we get are people saying "zomg age, zomg choke, zomg zomg zomg he's got a good team but has nothing to do with the team being good, meanwhile Ward is good despite his stats being bad but its his team that's bad, blah blah blah." The arguments are completely illogical and really do nothing to discredit Luongo or anything I've said.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
then you should of seen that Luongo and Schnieder consistently bailed out our team that was playing way below their skill level. Imo Luongo was the superior goalie this season and the only reason he lost his job in the PO was that AV was trying to spark our team, with the line juggling and such. It was a desperation move rather than a knock on Luongo.

Sample size always matters, it puts Schneider's stats into contex and shows that hey are most likely not substainable.
I saw the playoffs. I'm not one of those Luongo haters saying "ZOMG he lost his job!" Me taking Schnieder isn't a knock on Luongo.

The Canucks played like crap in front of him against the Kings, I understand that. I understand that the Canucks scored 8 goals in 7 games in the Stanley Cup Finals. They blamed Luongo anyway. I also vividly remember team USA lighting up Brodeur in the prelims at the 2010 Olympics, and Luongo coming in and playing like a beast in the Gold Medal Game. Everyone forgets that one.

I like Luongo, and I sympathize with him being labeled a choker for, well, no reason. But at this point I'd take Schnieder. I don't think Luongo is an elite goalie anymore. A good one, but not what he used to be. I think Schnieder is on his way to that level, and I'd prefer him. I think when this Olympics rolls around and Luongo is aging and Schneider has gotten his feet wet, it'll be a little clearer. That's nothing against Luongo. I'd take Hamhuis over Edler too, that doesn't make Edler a poor defenseman.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:08 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Luongo is extremely inconsistent in the NHL, playoffs and regular season.

He will be 35 and we can expect him to be past his prime.

He won't even be the starting goalie on his NHL team, I can't see him starting for Canada.

He's the 3rd goalie at best, but I'd go Price, Ward, Fleury.

So what if Ward was not so good in the WC, he's still more consistent over the NHL season, thus is more likely to offer a good performance.

Luongo IS in fact a choker, and has many times.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:09 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
I saw the playoffs. I'm not one of those Luongo haters saying "ZOMG he lost his job!" Me taking Schnieder isn't a knock on Luongo.

The Canucks played like crap in front of him against the Kings, I understand that. I understand that the Canucks scored 8 goals in 7 games in the Stanley Cup Finals. They blamed Luongo anyway. I also vividly remember team USA lighting up Brodeur in the prelims at the 2010 Olympics, and Luongo coming in and playing like a beast in the Gold Medal Game. Everyone forgets that one.

I like Luongo, and I sympathize with him being labeled a choker for, well, no reason. But at this point I'd take Schnieder. I don't think Luongo is an elite goalie anymore. A good one, but not what he used to be. I think Schnieder is on his way to that level, and I'd prefer him. I think when this Olympics rolls around and Luongo is aging and Schneider has gotten his feet wait, it'll be a little clearer. That's nothing against Luongo. I'd take Hamhuis over Edler too, that doesn't make Edler a poor defenseman.
He didn't. That was Miller.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Canada outshot the US 39-36. Man what a beating that was. Good thing Miller was there to bail out the Americans. Clearly Luongo did no work as his team was dominating in front of him.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:14 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

I like Luongo, and I sympathize with him being labeled a choker for, well, no reason. But at this point I'd take Schnieder. I don't think Luongo is an elite goalie anymore. A good one, but not what he used to be. I think Schnieder is on his way to that level, and I'd prefer him. I think when this Olympics rolls around and Luongo is aging and Schneider has gotten his feet wet, it'll be a little clearer. That's nothing against Luongo. I'd take Hamhuis over Edler too, that doesn't make Edler a poor defenseman.
For **** sake! After Luongo's typical poor October, he didn't have a full month where his SVP was below 0.921. This coming a year after Luongo was a Vezina finalist and the playoff MVP on a team that came within 1 win of the Stanley Cup! What more do you expect??

Old
11-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
For **** sake! After Luongo's typical poor October, he didn't have a full month where his SVP was below 0.921. This coming a year after Luongo was a Vezina finalist and the playoff MVP on a team that came within 1 win of the Stanley Cup! What more do you expect??
What more do I expect? Well can he age backwards?

Same age, I take Luongo AINEC.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:16 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Luongo is extremely inconsistent in the NHL, playoffs and regular season.

He will be 35 and we can expect him to be past his prime.

He won't even be the starting goalie on his NHL team, I can't see him starting for Canada.

He's the 3rd goalie at best, but I'd go Price, Ward, Fleury.

So what if Ward was not so good in the WC, he's still more consistent over the NHL season, thus is more likely to offer a good performance.

Luongo IS in fact a choker, and has many times.
You're right. Luongo choked his way to winning an Olympic gold medal, while Ward clutched his way to pissing away a World Hockey Championship by giving up 5 goals in a game, and clutched his way again this year getting ventilated once again. Infallible argument.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I think Luongo sucks in the playoffs so let me have Marc Andre Fleury instead.

Man that logic only works on HF

Old
11-29-2012, 08:17 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
What more do I expect? Well can he age backwards?

Same age, I take Luongo AINEC.
Right cuz it's not like goalies have ever had career years on the other side of 35.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:18 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Oh you're right. It was Luongo choking that caused Miller to give up a weak goal in overtime. Gotcha.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:22 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Canada outshot the US 39-36. Man what a beating that was. Good thing Miller was there to bail out the Americans. Clearly Luongo did no work as his team was dominating in front of him.
Quantity is not the same as quality. Miller was reDQless.

Goals on Luongo were soft-ish, he was not in control.
He looked like an OK average NHL goalie, not a dominant elite top 3 goalie in the world.