*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 05:19 PM
superspitfan99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
That's a huge signing, plus it helps their defense core for the upcoming years when they lose Percy and Demelo
Looks to me like they are setting themselves up for a trade?

Old
11-29-2012, 07:13 PM
chewerjones

I heard that they wanted to desperately sign either Walsh from last year's draft or Welsh the 95, and they got Welsh. Walsh is playing great in Jr. A and considering/committed to US College program?

Old
11-29-2012, 07:14 PM
chewerjones

They will secure an OA forward, plus trade their prospects and draft picks for 2 experienced forwards such as Trocheck, or Sarault.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
They will secure an OA forward, plus trade their prospects and draft picks for 2 experienced forwards such as Trocheck, or Sarault.
source or speculation?

Old
11-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
I heard that they wanted to desperately sign either Walsh from last year's draft or Welsh the 95, and they got Welsh. Walsh is playing great in Jr. A and considering/committed to US College program?
Walsh has good offers from D1 schools. I don't think he's ready physically for the OHL.

Old
11-30-2012, 06:03 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Walsh has good offers from D1 schools. I don't think he's ready physically for the OHL.
I agree with u on the physical side, although Walsh is tough as nails for his size. Doesnt back down from anyone, had some great battles with Damien Bourne . I thought 2nd round was super high for him, but I give him a ton of credit for the success he has had for the Buzzers. One question about Walsh, has he chosen Hockey as his priority? A few years back Baseball was his #1. Very, very good athlete Walsh is.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Steelheads are offering a pretty good holiday pack for $48.:
http://www.mississaugasteelheads.com...day-value-pack

4 Red Level Tickets, 4 Popcorns, 4 Drinks, and 4 Souvenir Programs.

I don't know if that's for one game or if you could use that on two separate games. Also it's a shame that it's for red level tickets but you can get red level seats for the top corners of the rink where the scouts sit (I dunno if I've ever actually seen scouts at a Mississauga game), dunno how good the seats would be in the corner but not bad for $12/ticket + some extras.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:11 AM
superspitfan99

Welsh (#8 Defense) played last night. Threw a couple of nice hits. Looked a bit nervous and looks like he needs some work on skating but he did okay for his first OHL game.

Steelheads made it a game by the 3rd period, but it was a frustrating game to watch especially in the first when the top line is -4 (-2 on one shift).

Old
12-01-2012, 09:14 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post

I don't know if that's for one game or if you could use that on two separate games. Also it's a shame that it's for red level tickets but you can get red level seats for the top corners of the rink where the scouts sit (I dunno if I've ever actually seen scouts at a Mississauga game), dunno how good the seats would be in the corner but not bad for $12/ticket + some extras.
The value pack is good for the game dates listed on the site. You can use any mulitples at a time (one per game or all 4 on one game). It's a good deal.

As for scouts, they are there all the time. Just look for the guys with black jackets and clipboards sitting high in the stands.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:44 PM
jr 27
Rookie User

the top line run this team

Old
12-01-2012, 03:13 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post

It's Mississauga, you just buy red level tickets and sit anywhere you want. It really doesn't matter where you sit in that arena you can see anywhere. The higher up the better though.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:46 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
source or speculation?
Bit of both.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:51 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
Welsh (#8 Defense) played last night. Threw a couple of nice hits. Looked a bit nervous and looks like he needs some work on skating but he did okay for his first OHL game.

Steelheads made it a game by the 3rd period, but it was a frustrating game to watch especially in the first when the top line is -4 (-2 on one shift).
With the Steelheads, if you get goaltending, they will go far, if not, then they get humiliated. Example, Guelph 2 games in a row and OS last week. Last night they were down 4-0 by end of first period because of shoddy goaltending and exposed Dmen.

Their forwards can score, but they will not get into 7-6 shootouts. They prefer 1 goal wins, and low scoring affairs.

It seems like the East is up in the air, but the West has the superior teams, London, Plymouth, OS, etc...

Steelheads have to secure that top line made up of an OA forward and two veteran forward players that will come from sellers at trade time.

As for Welsh, he seemed comfortable out there with some nice hits. He is not tall and low to the ground with some weight behind him. He can rock opponents, and his skating was avg last night.

Old
12-02-2012, 12:32 PM
squirrel19
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I agree with u on the physical side, although Walsh is tough as nails for his size. Doesnt back down from anyone, had some great battles with Damien Bourne . I thought 2nd round was super high for him, but I give him a ton of credit for the success he has had for the Buzzers. One question about Walsh, has he chosen Hockey as his priority? A few years back Baseball was his #1. Very, very good athlete Walsh is.
Boyd should partner Welsh with Graves. Two guys that hit like trucks. Might make other teams think twice when they cross the redline !

Old
12-02-2012, 12:57 PM
jr 27
Rookie User

i cant believe you think our forwards are good,our drfense issues start with our forwards.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:14 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel19 View Post
Boyd should partner Welsh with Graves. Two guys that hit like trucks. Might make other teams think twice when they cross the redline !
They have to catch them first??

Also, if they concentrate on laying someone out, then they will get exposed tremendously when they come up against fast, skilled forwards.

You have to slowly blend those forwards in with seniors, just as they have done with Carrick and Cord.

I think they should pair Demelo with a rookie and Percy with a rookie on 5 on 5. It seems like both Demelo and Percy are getting complaicant and get too confident that the other guy is there to bail each out. They need to get hunger back into their system.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:41 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Fun game to attend yesterday at the Hershey...great fans...awesome arena staff...definite re-do. Love the rink.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Steel Toe

What a great game to be at! Had lots of fun and great entertainment. To bad they lost but they still got a point out of it.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:01 PM
JSavoire

Quote:

Also, if they concentrate on laying someone out, then they will get exposed tremendously when they come up against fast, skilled forwards.

You have to slowly blend those forwards in with seniors, just as they have done with Carrick and Cord.

I think they should pair Demelo with a rookie and Percy with a rookie on 5 on 5. It seems like both Demelo and Percy are getting complaicant and get too confident that the other guy is there to bail each out. They need to get hunger back into their system.
I'd agree that the second you start running around trying to throw the big hit you're going to find guys getting caught out of position. Just watch and you'll see. Rule always is that you throw the hit that's there and it doesn't even have to be a monster hit. Just enough to force players to keep on their toes and make them think.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:41 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:

I agree that Percy and DeMelo should be split. They just might have to work a bit harder and think a bit faster if they didn't have eachother to depend on. Look at Diodati, he's had 4 different D partners this year (Graves, Zottl, Duhaime, Welsh), along with being shifted from 2nd to 3rd line D.

On another note, what is the man thinking when it comes to his PP. Maybe he could consider actually creating a second PP line instead of putting a regular 2nd or 3rd line out there. 2 minute straight PP shifts for top line is ridiculous as well. Mississauga has one of the worst PP in the league.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.(Albert Einstein)

Old
12-04-2012, 12:44 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
I agree that Percy and DeMelo should be split. They just might have to work a bit harder and think a bit faster if they didn't have eachother to depend on. Look at Diodati, he's had 4 different D partners this year (Graves, Zottl, Duhaime, Welsh), along with being shifted from 2nd to 3rd line D.

On another note, what is the man thinking when it comes to his PP. Maybe he could consider actually creating a second PP line instead of putting a regular 2nd or 3rd line out there. 2 minute straight PP shifts for top line is ridiculous as well. Mississauga has one of the worst PP in the league.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.(Albert Einstein)
I agree with you. Brace is a very talented hockey player and part of the foundation of the team but Boyd needs to have a tighter leash on him. Saw them playing against London, Brace had too many turnovers and his shifts were too long. Smoskowitz is a real bright spot for this team, 21 goals in 24. I do question Smoskowitz and Brace's effort on the back check though. Burnside is a very fast skater, and a compliment to the line. Really needs to improve his strength, loses the puck along the walls too easy. I feel if this line moved the puck quicker and more often they could be dangerous.

A problem with this team is that apart from the first line no other line is really contributing to the score sheet on a regular basis. And they are subject to slow starts and defensive lapses when playing strong teams. They just need to get back to the way they started the season. But they have played well ultimately and the fact that they are only 3 points out of first, James Boyd should be a candidate for coach of the year if they keep it up.

Old
12-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
I agree with you. Brace is a very talented hockey player and part of the foundation of the team but Boyd needs to have a tighter leash on him. Saw them playing against London, Brace had too many turnovers and his shifts were too long. Smoskowitz is a real bright spot for this team, 21 goals in 24. I do question Smoskowitz and Brace's effort on the back check though. Burnside is a very fast skater, and a compliment to the line. Really needs to improve his strength, loses the puck along the walls too easy. I feel if this line moved the puck quicker and more often they could be dangerous.

A problem with this team is that apart from the first line no other line is really contributing to the score sheet on a regular basis. And they are subject to slow starts and defensive lapses when playing strong teams. They just need to get back to the way they started the season. But they have played well ultimately and the fact that they are only 3 points out of first, James Boyd should be a candidate for coach of the year if they keep it up.
No question, Boyd should be a candidate for COY and if there is an award for GM, how he ripped Hawerchuk and Ford a new one in the Smoskowitz trade. Another trade or two like that and all the Steelhead offensive woes would be over.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:48 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
No question, Boyd should be a candidate for COY and if there is an award for GM, how he ripped Hawerchuk and Ford a new one in the Smoskowitz trade. Another trade or two like that and all the Steelhead offensive woes would be over.
Didn't see last night's game, but I guess Boyd thought by sitting a couple of his better players (Duhaime/Diodati)it wouldn't matter? I guess it mattered!

Old
12-09-2012, 03:00 PM
chewerjones

Quote:

Exactly, the latter point. Boyd has to get another scoring line as he doesnt have much, besides the Brace, Smoskovitz, Burnside, and even with them, they get alot of points because they are on all the time (PP).

If they believe they can win the east, which is possible this year, then they have to secure an OA and a couple of experienced forwards to instantly give them a powerful offensive line. Example- Trojeck, Sarault, and Leivo. They can get those guys in exchange for draft picks, prospects in the system and maybe a player on the present team- Graves, or Welsh or both.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:14 PM
superspitfan99

Here's my predictions: Sellers, not buyers and Boyd' last year as coach and maybe GM as well. If they give up too much, just to win the East this season, they'll be in trouble again later. What good is that to go no further and lose in the end?

Closed Thread