HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Of active past Flyers, who would you love to still have on the team?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2012, 04:25 PM
  #26
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 50
Always have had a soft spot for Umberger.
Carter
Sbisa
Downie

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 04:46 PM
  #27
Torquenstein
Registered User
 
Torquenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Germany
Posts: 135
vCash: 490
Gagne, Hextall, Seidenberg, Lappy

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 05:32 PM
  #28
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Screw Leighton, let's just go the whole 9 yards and plop Martin Houle in net. His 2 mins of playing time, .667% and 27 GAA are something to behold.

On a serious note, Richards. I'd say Gagne but he seems to be done.
Ironically, this is Gagne's first season in years where he's healthy now that he had that growth removed from the back of his neck. I don't think he's done yet, he's still young but it seems like he's been around for 20 years.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 06:16 PM
  #29
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Where all the upshall fans at?

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:05 PM
  #30
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Jagr.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 11:54 PM
  #31
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,568
vCash: 50
Mike Richards and Simon Gagne, AINEC

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:04 AM
  #32
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,699
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Where all the upshall fans at?
who?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:38 AM
  #33
CSKA1974
Registered User
 
CSKA1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyerville
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,331
vCash: 500
Richards, Gagne, RJ, Bob for me.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:51 AM
  #34
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 50
1. Richards
2. Richards
3. Richards
4. Gagne
5. Downie
6. Sbisa
7. Seidenberg
8. Sharp

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:01 AM
  #35
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,143
vCash: 300
Can't believe I forgot Jagr. Wuld definitely take him back.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:22 AM
  #36
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Where all the upshall fans at?
The uproar had very little to do with Upshall the player. It had everything to do with inept cap management by Holmgren which required the trade, and the fact that he chose to throw in a 2nd round pick on a deal where the Flyers traded away a better player than they got in return.

Clear enough for you, or should I use crayons next time?

Unless you're one of the people who was convinced that Carcillo would score 25 goals a year... in which case,


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-30-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Pirate ships and skulls are eponymous
CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:31 AM
  #37
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,362
vCash: 769
Probably Sharp

he doesn't choke in the playoffs, he isn't injury prone, and he doesnt act like a ***** to the media

Maybe Gagne, but the guy can't stay healthy anymore

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:34 AM
  #38
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,362
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
The uproar had very little to do with Upshall the player. It had everything to do with inept cap management by Holmgren which required the trade, and the fact that he chose to throw in a 2nd round pick on a deal where the Flyers traded away a better player than they got in return.

Clear enough for you, or should I use crayons next time?

Unless you're one of the people who was convinced that Carcillo would score 25 goals a year... in which case,
Carcillo did score 12 with little PP time. If he was asked to play an offensive role and not an agitator, I see no reason why he can't score 20 playing on a scoring line and getting PP time consistently

The trade was still dumb though


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-30-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Prior quote edited.
RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:52 AM
  #39
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
Richards, Sbisa, Sharp

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:36 AM
  #40
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,577
vCash: 50
Richards... obvious.

Other than that though, I would love to have back either Sharp or Williams. Both are veteran top line wingers that we could use in case the Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek experiment doesn't work out.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:47 PM
  #41
Clyde Donovan
Registered User
 
Clyde Donovan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 500
Obviously Richards but I really think Schenn is going to be a monster in the league and I love Simmonds so it doesn't hurt too bad. Gotta be Sharp for the crap return we got and that dreadful goal Leighton let up to him in Game 6 of the Finals when the puck slid at about 3 miles an hour under his five hole.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 01:33 PM
  #42
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
I cannot believe that I'm the first to bring up the player that immediately came to my mind upon reading the question: Mike Knuble... and this Lockout may be killing his last shot of coming back to the NHL as a force; the Cap and elapsed time may end his career. No doubt I want Mike back in a more limited role than the one he left, but definitely on the PP and in key situations when you need that goal.


The second player I thought of is a favorite here I see: Sharp... I want him to see what he can do in O&B with a coach that may welcome him in the system.

I also would want my 'Dog Park Buddy' back: Seidenberg... He'd fit in well, now that he has matured more and honed his skills.

I'd welcome Umberger back with a more favorable cap hit and Umberger back with a better on-ice average -- meaning less injuries -- and Jagr back... also with less injuries. Gagne with a better Cap would be sweet... And I wouldn't mind Kapinen back for one last twilight season.

I echo that I would have said Rusty 'the Flyers Killer' if Homer hadn't already taken care of that.

And we cannot forget 'Super' Stevie Eminger.... Okay... that was 100% a joke.

As for Richards and Carter: while I am 100% in love of what Homer got for them, I would love their talent... but I cannot see their fitting in an longer considering the circumstances... Maybe after time, later on in their careers, they could come back.

... And yes, Sbisa for another go could be nice.

A couple of seasons back would have had Recchi there along with Knuble at the top... and of course Brindy, when he still had gas in the tank.

I know... much too many... sorry. haha


Last edited by Sawdalite: 01-24-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:06 PM
  #43
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I cannot believe that I'm the first to bring up the player that immediately came to my mind upon reading the question: Mike Knuble... and this Lockout may be killing his last shot of coming back to the NHL as a force; the Cap and elapsed time may end his career. No doubt I want Mike back in a more limited role than the one he lef, but definitely on the PP and in key situations when you need that goal.


The second player I thought of is a favorite here I see: Sharp... I want him to see what he can do in O&B with a coach that may welcome him in the system.

I also would want my 'Dog Park Buddy' back: Seidenberg... He'd fit in well, now that he has matured more and honed his skills.

I'd welcome Umberger back with a more favorable cap hit and Umberger back with a better on-ice average -- meaning less injuries -- and Jagr back... also with less injuries. Gagne with a better Cap would be sweet... And I wouldn't mind Kapinen back for one last twilight season.

I echo that I would have said Rusty 'the Flyers Killer' if Homer hadn't already taken care of that.

And we cannot forget 'Super' Stevie Eminger.... Okay... that was 100% a joke.

As for Richards and Carter: while I am 100% in love of what Homer got for them, I would love their talent... but I cannot see their fitting in an longer considering the circumstances... Maybe after time, later on in their careers, they could come back.

... And yes, Sbisa for another go could be nice.

A couple of seasons back would have had Recchi there along with Knuble at the top... and of course Brindy, when he still had gas in the tank.

I know... much too many... sorry. haha
I was thinking about Knuble the other day and I agree, I think this lockout is the end of the line for him. He didn't have a team after his years with the Caps so he's likely done.

As for Carter and Richards, I would be shocked if either of them wanted to come back at any time, and I doubt Snider would take them back.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:17 PM
  #44
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,783
vCash: 156
I would have said Knuble two years ago, but last season he was ineffective and was even benched for a couple games. I think his time is up. I'm glad I got to see him play a few times in Washington.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 06:19 PM
  #45
northof50
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Richards for sure

northof50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:29 PM
  #46
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,783
vCash: 156
Oh, and Bob. I'd love to have Bob back.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:48 PM
  #47
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I would have said Knuble two years ago, but last season he was ineffective and was even benched for a couple games. I think his time is up. I'm glad I got to see him play a few times in Washington.
I'm not sure Knuble's situation/problem last season wasn't more the product of the Capital coaching and their treatment and use of him than it was due to his playing himself out of a spot on the roster... I won't argue that he is not totally what he was when he was manning the First Line in Philly, but being a huge supporter of his I know his is not a bit selfish and is a Team Player above and beyond all else... For Knuble to say what he said and do what he did that last season in Washington, he had to have been provoked and disrespected enough to rebel... Frankly, IMO he acted PO'd and that probably carried over onto the ice. I don't believe Washington wanted him to play his game and went to drastic -- and disrespectful -- measures IMO to break Flyers in a more limited role... a lower line and seldom PKs... and placed in his office in the crease on the second or even first PP unit, and on the ice a bit when a key goal is needed... and he would earn his spot and Cap space, which should be quite a bit reduced this time around. I see him as a Recchi for the right teams in his later years... like Rex proved to be.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:00 PM
  #48
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,577
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I'm not sure Knuble's situation/problem last season wasn't more the product of the Capital coaching and their treatment and use of him than it was due to his playing himself out of a spot on the roster... I won't argue that he is not totally what he was when he was manning the First Line in Philly, but being a huge supporter of his I know his is not a bit selfish and is a Team Player above and beyond all else... For Knuble to say what he said and do what he did that last season in Washington, he had to have been provoked and disrespected enough to rebel... Frankly, IMO he acted PO'd and that probably carried over onto the ice. I don't believe Washington wanted him to play his game and went to drastic -- and disrespectful -- measures IMO to break Flyers in a more limited role... a lower line and seldom PKs... and placed in his office in the crease on the second or even first PP unit, and on the ice a bit when a key goal is needed... and he would earn his spot and Cap space, which should be quite a bit reduced this time around. I see him as a Recchi for the right teams in his later years... like Rex proved to be.
With all due respect to Knuble, he won't provide teams with what Recchi did in his later years. Recchi was a very effective top nine forward up until he retired, and Knuble can't do that anymore. It was quite obvious that he struggled to keep up with speed of the game last season and that's why he was benched at times. As others have said, a full year off would pretty much be the final nail in the coffin. If he decided to come back, I could definitely see him being used as a thirteenth forward-powerplay specialist for a playoff team. That's not to say he's useless. In fact, just his experience alone would do wonders for a locker room. But, his days as a top six guy are pretty much over.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:03 PM
  #49
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,783
vCash: 156
Knuble last year was a bit like Betts in his last season. Good and reliable if he was already where he needed to be, but not so much if any sort of acceleration or speed was needed.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:54 PM
  #50
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
With all due respect to Knuble, he won't provide teams with what Recchi did in his later years. Recchi was a very effective top nine forward up until he retired, and Knuble can't do that anymore. It was quite obvious that he struggled to keep up with speed of the game last season and that's why he was benched at times. As others have said, a full year off would pretty much be the final nail in the coffin. If he decided to come back, I could definitely see him being used as a thirteenth forward-powerplay specialist for a playoff team. That's not to say he's useless. In fact, just his experience alone would do wonders for a locker room. But, his days as a top six guy are pretty much over.
Knuble game was never him speed, and he will not get faster, but will get slower... I agree... By comparing him to Rex in his last years I was not shooting for the HHOF talents as much as for what you described in his helping contending teams... like Recchi... with his specialty role and leadership and hopefully clutch play. Like I said earlier, put him down on the lines and spot play him.

We see his benching differently... You see it as his not being able to keep up... and I see it as Washington coaching not allowing him to concentrate on his game and making up for his lack of speed and lessened skills with his savvy, smarts and heart... crashing and camping and screening and tipping... Use his talents godamit rather than insisting he puts his square plug in a round hole or sit. Us ehim for what he was signed for. I see it as a butting of heads... IMO Knuble doesn't react as he did unless he was severely insulted. Knoobs doesn't have to be the go to guy any longer... but I'd love seeing him teach Simmonds and help Hartnell learn to develop their 'Knubling'.

He is getting older and the longer the Cap is squeezed, the more veterans will be pushed out for cheaper talent... like Leclair and others were for Richards and Carter, who otherwise may have spent another season with the Phantoms.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.