HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA Discussion Part IV (Lockout talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 04:29 PM
EverettMike

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Oh sorry.

OK people, let's get something done here!
I am all onboard for being unproductive.

But can it be funny? Lame and more likely to get other people pissed off is not going to end well.

YOU KNOW I AM RIGHT!

Old
11-29-2012, 04:29 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

apparently mediation is over with nothing resolved.

but at least they're disappointed that nothing was resolved.

looks like more xbox for me.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Cronuss

vCash: 2823
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Ya but, then he forced the people to pay taxes!!!!!!!!!
Perhaps there are legal reasons for it?

Old
11-29-2012, 04:31 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I am all onboard for being unproductive.

But can it be funny? Lame and more likely to get other people pissed off is not going to end well.

YOU KNOW I AM RIGHT!
Lame jokes and pissing people off IS funny.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:34 PM
ssault
SW BROONS

Now a proposal from Bettman for just owners and players to meet ("no NHL or NHLPA brass").

Doubt anything will come of that....

Old
11-29-2012, 04:36 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post

There's always disappointment to fall back

It's not surprising that it didn't work out, I wonder if that player-owner meeting will happen? If it does, it will likely just result in more disappointment.

Old
11-29-2012, 04:40 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

it's no laughing matter.

they're really, really disappointed. frustrated, even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill daly
"Today, we concluded two days of mediation with FMCS mediators and representatives of the NHL Players' Association. After spending several hours with both sides over two days, the presiding mediators concluded that the parties remained far apart, and that no progress toward a resolution could be made through further mediation at this point in time. We are disappointed that the mediation process was not successful."

Old
11-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronuss View Post
Perhaps there are legal reasons for it?
Yes, it's called income tax.

I am Boston Strong

Old
11-29-2012, 05:38 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:

mediation is like going to a marriage counsellor- 99.9% one of the parties is not going to like what they recommend and likely both; until next Wednesday nothing productive is happening- its all about the owners wanting a deal since they locked out the players and they own the teams.

They soon will both be standing on the cliff very soon and the liklihood of all 30 onwers pushing 3.3 Billion over is zero chance

Old
11-29-2012, 05:53 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
**** this. Why do I continue to follow this garbage?

Old
11-29-2012, 05:59 PM
ORRMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Ugh.

I have said this over and over, but if your goal is to turn your money into more money, buying a sports team is the dumbest way to do it. It is a stupid business venture.

And fine, let Jacobs run his team like a business. But sports are a totally unique animal, and the business only (only) works if a large group of people care about it irrationally.

You don't have the business of owning a sports team without fans.

So to treat Jacobs like the poor old innocent business owner just trying to make a buck ignores the reality of the situation.

Fine, try to make a buck. But you aren't getting my love, nor do you deserve it. I care if the team wins, not if Jeremy jacobs makes money. The second I change my priorities is, ironically, the day he stops getting my business.

I bet some of you watch It's A Wonderful Life and root for Old Man Potter. The poor business man!

Well obviously Morris does.
I read a dozen pro-Jacobs posts and couldn't believe what I'm reading, and then, thankfully, I get to one of your entries. Memories are short around here.

I agree with everything you wrote, but I want to emphasize your point about business people buying sports franchises: as I wrote in a previous post, sports franchise ownership should be the realm of ultra rich people who want to polish their sports championship trophies; not business people who want to apply their financial accumen to under-performing franchises. Go buy a manufacturing business, and leave my beloved team to someone who accepts operational losses as the price of championships.

This is particularly true with hockey compared to the other major sports: there's less profit potential in hockey than any other major professional sport. There ought to be a test for potential sports franchise ownership. Owners should love the sport and dream of championships. They shouldn't try to bring about fiscal responsibility at the cost of winning.

We deserve an owner who loves this team and loves hockey (a hockey version of Bob Kraft). I hate Jeremy Jacobs. Period.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:19 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Um, JJ's team, the Boston Bruins, made the 6th most amount of profit of all NHL teams.

He's standing up for owners who's teams are hemmoraging money, he's not doing this for himself. Let's just get that straight.

It's fun to find a villian, but right now it's a combination of the owners who overspent and overpaid UFA's, and the players that were fine with accepting contracts they knew in their hearts to be overpayments.

But as Morris said before, I can never have sympathy for a group that had since January to negotiate, chose not to, and now here we are. JJ might be a *******, but stop pretending like he is orchestrating this lockout because he wants to, all of the owners feel there need to be significant changes and he's not going to go against their wishes.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:24 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
i only follow it on twitter.

140 characters or less is about all i can stomach.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:27 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
i only follow it on twitter.

140 characters or less is about all i can stomach.
Same here. Every other couple days, I'll read an actual article if it looks interesting. Love my NHL twitter list though. Skim through that once or twice a day, and there's all the updates I need.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:29 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

i just roll with dreger, mckenzie and lebrun. that's it.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

cancel the season already ****!

Old
11-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Mione134

^ that's what I'm saying.

I keep getting my hopes up and its taking a toil on me. Cancel the season and move on. Because nobody wants to really compromise anymore. Its done.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Could it be that Bettman is just fed up of working with Jacobs?

Old
11-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Um, JJ's team, the Boston Bruins, made the 6th most amount of profit of all NHL teams.

He's standing up for owners who's teams are hemmoraging money, he's not doing this for himself. Let's just get that straight.

It's fun to find a villian, but right now it's a combination of the owners who overspent and overpaid UFA's, and the players that were fine with accepting contracts they knew in their hearts to be overpayments.

But as Morris said before, I can never have sympathy for a group that had since January to negotiate, chose not to, and now here we are. JJ might be a *******, but stop pretending like he is orchestrating this lockout because he wants to, all of the owners feel there need to be significant changes and he's not going to go against their wishes.
JJ is doing that for himself and no one else. Guy doesn't give a flying **** about others

Old
11-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
LeBrun: B's Jacobs should recuse himself

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ediation-fails

Old
11-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRMAN View Post
I read a dozen pro-Jacobs posts and couldn't believe what I'm reading, and then, thankfully, I get to one of your entries. Memories are short around here.

I agree with everything you wrote, but I want to emphasize your point about business people buying sports franchises: as I wrote in a previous post, sports franchise ownership should be the realm of ultra rich people who want to polish their sports championship trophies; not business people who want to apply their financial accumen to under-performing franchises. Go buy a manufacturing business, and leave my beloved team to someone who accepts operational losses as the price of championships.

This is particularly true with hockey compared to the other major sports: there's less profit potential in hockey than any other major professional sport. There ought to be a test for potential sports franchise ownership. Owners should love the sport and dream of championships. They shouldn't try to bring about fiscal responsibility at the cost of winning.

We deserve an owner who loves this team and loves hockey (a hockey version of Bob Kraft). I hate Jeremy Jacobs. Period.
There are also less rich people looking to get involved with hockey, and even fewer still willing to take a loss cause they likes to watch it and stuff. The person you just described is a bloody moron and because of that I personally wouldn't want him anywhere near my hockey team as he'd likely bankrupt them in a year. Such a dumbass should just pay for center ice, grab a few nice jerseys, pay for a luxury box and be just as much of a fan without any of the risk.

People get involved with professional sports franchises because they can make money at it. Many also like winning but make no mistake, making money is key, without it those people go away. Winning is a lot easier to focus on when your teams is already making money hand over fist. Thinking other wise is pure fantasy. Sure Bob Kraft helped the NFL lockout after the union had already decertified and they were in the 11th hour, but they damn sure got their 50/50 revenue split on a business that sees billions in revenue each year and in which only 3 or 4 teams lose money before revenue sharing. I'm sure if JJ did the same thing Bob Kraft did we'd all be talking about how greedy and utterly selfish he was for leaving his wife in hospital to take part in CBA negotiations.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:36 PM
bruinmann77

Anyone weaing their hockey gear,i have put them away and told the wife not to buy any bruin stuff for christmas.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:39 PM
shawnb199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
There are also less rich people looking to get involved with hockey, and even fewer still willing to take a loss cause they likes to watch it and stuff.

People get involved with professional sports franchises because they can make money at it. Many also like winning but make no mistake, making money is key, without it those people go away.
You should look up "psychic income". Do teenage boys with little athletic talent dream about owning a profitable chain of Hyundai dealerships, or owning a pro sports team? 60 year old boys are no different. You can't tell me Jerry Jones is the GM of the Cowboys because he really thinks it maximizes his monetary profits.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:16 PM
ORRMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb199 View Post
You should look up "psychic income". Do teenage boys with little athletic talent dream about owning a profitable chain of Hyundai dealerships, or owning a pro sports team? 60 year old boys are no different. You can't tell me Jerry Jones is the GM of the Cowboys because he really thinks it maximizes his monetary profits.
You get it. This is about ego, and it should be. Passion for the sport should be first. They make money, good for them, but that's not why you buy a hockey team.

I am a commercial lender. I equate NHL teams to restaurants. "You know how to end up with a million dollars in the restaurant business. Start with two million."

Old
11-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Lordstanley
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I hear ya ! .....I wrote this season off last september . Thank god my business keeps me working 7 days / 80 hrs week ........things could be worst

Closed Thread