HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton Art of Scoring Videos w/ Scott Bjugstad

Old
11-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Easton Art of Scoring Videos w/ Scott Bjugstad

This is a pretty good video, thought I'd share for those who haven't seen it.

New video:

Last edited by Jarick: 11-29-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:28 PM
ean

Its really mind blowing how one piece stick technology has changed shooting technique. 15 years ago youd never hear someone instructing you to shoot off the toe. Check out this vid for contrast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-066z...e_gdata_player

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2012, 07:38 PM
BHDefensiveForward

Great video! I've always preferred to shoot off the toe in ice hockey. Sadly I still find myself shooting more closer to the mid though.

BHDefensiveForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 07:23 AM
gosinger

Wohooo, thanks for that vid - watched this before going to bed with a few other snapshot vids, and just tried it in my attic - some great mid-toe snapers.

In the past I tried to avoid shooting from the toe because I felt I got too little power behind it, but that probably was because I was shooting the puck too far out resulting in narrower hands & less flex. With pulling it in, hands wide and flexing+hitting at the toe I didn't notice anything keeping me from trying that in a game on Monday. And also looking forward to my P2-clone toe-curve arriving in a few days, this shot might be wicked with that one

gosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Its really mind blowing how one piece stick technology has changed shooting technique. 15 years ago youd never hear someone instructing you to shoot off the toe. Check out this vid for contrast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-066z...e_gdata_player
LOL watching that video, great link!

Kariya's shot was TERRIBLE...it looks like his stick is WAY too stiff for him and he keeps getting these weak shots off nowhere near the target. He's got the puck far from his body and gets not oomf into them.

Meanwhile Sakic...uses a shorter stick, pulls the puck in close to the body, leans in and fires...they look 20-30 mph faster!

Shanny flat out cheating going over the line

Old
11-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

New video up:

Old
11-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That kid is ridiculously big for a high schooler. And from my high school too

Old
11-29-2012, 04:08 PM
uncleodb

Thanks for finding and posting these videos. I thought shots should start from the heel, so that you would have more room for the puck to spin from the heel to the toe of the blade as you release / shoot to induce that spin. This idea is like a paradigm shift for me. Like holy crap, what have I been doing all these years?!?! I thnk I also have my stick too far away from my body for me to but enough of my weight to flex my stick. In the video, he says to have the stick close enough so that the heel of the blade is just off the ice and only the front part of the blade is flat. I wanna run out and try it NOW, but of course, i'm stuck at work. So does this also apply to slap shots?

uncleodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Rink Bum

Thanks for the vid Jarick.

Have a poor shot and never been taught how to shoot properly. Gonna try this out tomorrow at my pickup.

Here's something I noticed in the video with Scott B's stick blade. I notice the blade is taped only halfway (0:28 mark) and he stresses to shoot from the toe. Is that the reason why someone would tape only half the blade? I've seen guys who tape a blade like this but never asked why.....going to ask now that I'm curious.

Rink Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

With a traditional wrist shot, you start at the heel and roll to the toe and you'd likely use a flatter blade or one with just a bit of curve.

He's talking about the modern wrist shot which is pull the puck in close and fire from the front half of the blade.

The Sakic rocker is PERFECT for this kind of shot by the way. Flatter at the heel but higher lie at the toe so you can cup it after the pull.

I'm really intrigued by that concept of head placement to direct shot height and would like to try that out.

I also want to see how much he costs for an hour and if he can come out and show my rec league team how to shoot the puck for real.

Old
11-29-2012, 05:28 PM
AIREAYE

This video appears to just be about him giving a few tips for the kid and not a general 'how-to-shoot' video. I feel his technique is very specialized and more advanced, needing a good amount of skill beforehand to adopt.

All in all, NOT an instruction video imo. A promo more like.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 05:48 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
This video appears to just be about him giving a few tips for the kid and not a general 'how-to-shoot' video. I feel his technique is very specialized and more advanced, needing a good amount of skill beforehand to adopt.

This is all true.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:

True... but after watching this video, I was taking snap-shots like this the other day during a sticks and pucks session and my shot was noticeably harder and the puck stayed flat in the air more than it would when I shot from the heel. It's funny because everyone I've ever talked to has told me to shoot from the heel of my blade. Now, I can actually feel my 77 flex TotalONE LE flexing while I snap the puck away. I even did what they were doing in the video and set up a cone at about the top of the circles to act as a defender so I could pull the puck around it and towards my body. It was great and I feel like watching this video has improved my shot in one day!

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Great video, but will require good fundamentals to pull off. It's not something you learn right off the bat if you don't even know how to take a traditional heel to toe shot.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:17 PM
AIREAYE

It would require a very nice toe curve as well lol

Old
11-29-2012, 10:55 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
It would require a very nice toe curve as well lol
Yeah. Try this with a pm9 and you're going to be shooting flutterbombs on net.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:12 AM
hctopcheds11

So pretty much everything in those videos doesn't compute with me. I've been playing since I was a kid and use composites and don't think I do hardly any of the things suggested in the video. I also consider my shot to be one of my strengths.

Though I guess I've been playing for so long that I don't think about how I shoot. I think I start from mid heel and finish around mid-toe. Shoot mainly snappers. When I shoot wrister I go heel to toe.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:31 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendAlBundy View Post
Yeah. Try this with a pm9 and you're going to be shooting flutterbombs on net.
LOL yeah, guess what I'm never going to try then. Most of my curves are PM9s

Old
11-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It seemed helpful to me.

What I'd keep in mind with these videos:

1. It's a specific type of shot. This isn't a full wrist shot but a lean and shoot snap/wrist shot.

2. I believe it requires a curved blade. PM9 probably won't work. If you have a mid curve like a Sakic try shooting from the mid. The idea is you kind of have to trap the puck in the pocket of the curve, lean, and fire. The PM9 doesn't have a pocket. The Drury does because it's got more loft and kinks further so you could do this if you really cup the puck (notice how they start the shot behind them and cup down on the puck).

3. The "head forward/backward" cue didn't work for me. It's the same concept as shooting behind or ahead of your body but makes less sense. I'd replace that with either shoot from behind your body to stay low.

4. The biggest plus is to pull the shot in tight to the body before you shoot, so you can put your power into the shot. If you shoot with the puck far away, it's all forearms and wrists, which will give you a weak shot. Pull it in tight, lean, and shoot.

You can see when the kid (which sounds weird because he looks like he's 25 years old) do this sometimes and really get a piece of it. At 1:30 in the first video he kind of flicks the puck but at 1:37 he leans and rips one.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:59 AM
pnewsom

I liked that video too. Tried it in my shed and it seems to work. See how it goes on the ice next Monday. I'm using a Backstrom/P92 curve and have an Iginla ST I can try as well.

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:33 PM
uncleodb

I tried this last night in the 10 minute warmup before the game and it didn't go too well for me. I don't think I have the right curve for this (Datsyuk?), and I wasn't applying all the techniques consistently. I'd say, 1 out of the 10 attempts I made with this method, it worked out really well. I'll give it some more practice my next time out. I agree that you really need to be good with the basic shot before experimenting with this. And what's with the head leaning thing? That just didn't make any sense to me out on the ice.

uncleodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Check out my post if you haven't, kind of thinking about the same things you were in your posts.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:44 PM
polysaturate

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleodb View Post
I tried this last night in the 10 minute warmup before the game and it didn't go too well for me. I don't think I have the right curve for this (Datsyuk?), and I wasn't applying all the techniques consistently. I'd say, 1 out of the 10 attempts I made with this method, it worked out really well. I'll give it some more practice my next time out. I agree that you really need to be good with the basic shot before experimenting with this. And what's with the head leaning thing? That just didn't make any sense to me out on the ice.
I'd say, at 1/10, fine tuning and lots of practice shots should help a bunch...

polysaturate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Fanned On It

Scored 2 goals shooting like this in my game last night... I'm using a P92 backstrom curve and it seems to be ideal for this kind of shot. You can really lean on the toe and get good flex with it.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Yep, this wouldn't work with a neutral curve like Zetterberg/Cammy or the PM9.

It's the easiest to pull off with the Sakic/Hall and Backstrom/Kane curve.

Doable with the Drury/Parise heel curves, but I found it harder.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote