HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 02:15 AM
kihei

vCash: 3125
In terms of movies that I commented on in this thread, I'm already at 209 for this year, after scoring 208 each of the last two years, plus I probably saw another 40 movies or so for other purposes. I'm guessing that I'll clock in around 260 total for the year, which is way higher (30%) than usual, though that number will certainly drop next year.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Stu Macher

vCash: 500
Since I've started keeping track in July, I have watched 193 different movies, from movies I've seen before to theatrical releases.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:25 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
In terms of movies that I commented on in this thread, I'm already at 209 for this year, after scoring 208 each of the last two years, plus I probably saw another 40 movies or so for other purposes. I'm guessing that I'll clock in around 260 total for the year, which is way higher (30%) than usual, though that number will certainly drop next year.
Because there aren't any movies left in the world that you haven't seen outside of what's being currently released?

Old
11-30-2012, 12:46 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Lawless

Old
11-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
Since I've started keeping track in July, I have watched 193 different movies, from movies I've seen before to theatrical releases.
Wow so you're averaging well over a movie per day since July?

I've seen about 70 movies so far this year, so I'll probably clock in around 80 by the end of December.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:47 PM
kihei

Killing Them Softly (2012), directed by Andrew Dominik: A seemingly fool-proof plan is hatched by a trio of lowlife crooks to knock of a mob-protected poker game. After they pull off their heist, Jackie (Brad Pitt), a hired gun, is called in to settle accounts by teaching these morons a lesson about who they are messing with. He imports some hired muscle from New York (James Gandolfini) to help himself, but the muscle isn't exactly in peak form these days. So Jackie, hardly skipping a beat, takes matters into his own hands. This inevitably involves a lot of graphic brutality and bloodshed. With the bad guys making small talk in a car, the first couple of scenes seem like warmed-over Tarantino. But, then, what turns out to be an excellent script quickly finds traction, and the movie suddenly progresses like clockwork from one well-acted scene to another. Unfortunately, Dominik makes frequent use of impossible-to-ignore television commentary of the 2008 presidential campaign, whiich plays loudly in the background of way too many scenes. He oversells the point that the politicians talk about community when in reality there is no such thing. Rather it is a case of every man for himself and nothing really works well any more, not even the crooks. Though I could have lived without the ham-fisted parallels between political and corporate malfeasance and crooks, which has proved a deal-breaker for many critics, the technique didn't bother me a whole lot because Pitt was so much fun to watch. The movie is little more than him in a series of sequential conversations with various people, and he nails every single scene he is in with an odd combination of common sense and easy menace. It is a wonderful performance in a flawed but still very entertaining movie.

Last edited by kihei: 12-01-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old
11-30-2012, 07:51 PM
eldiablo17

I`ve always loved The Big Lebowski, but after going on a Noir bender over the past couple weeks, re-watching it again has given me an even bigger appreciation for that movie. So good.

No clue how many movies I`ve watched this year. Only 40 from 2012 so far, although that will probably close to double by mid-January. Including older movies probably between 120 and 160. A little under one every other day sounds about right.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:04 PM
tobo

Universal Soldier 4

What a steaming pile of T-rex dung.
Nearly gave me an epileptic seizure as well.
Never, ever watch this dreck.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:08 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Because there aren't any movies left in the world that you haven't seen outside of what's being currently released?
No, it just means I'll be done with the stupid book that I am working on, and moving on to something else like trying to get it published. And, who knows, maybe I'll start on a retrospective of former Communist-bloc countries current films. That should send pulses racing.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:03 AM
kihei

Anna Karenina (2012), directed by Joe Wright: This version of Tolstoy’s sprawling tragic romance about a woman who sacrifices her social standing and aristocratic family for a passionate love affair received lousy word of mouth during TIFF, but it must have been severely tweaked since then, because this is a pretty good movie. It will be accepted or rejected by most viewers primarily for how much it relies upon artifice to tell its story. The film starts out in a theatre looking as if this tale of unwise love will be presented as a staged play. Though it segues into movie reality soon enough, it never abandons the theatrical conceit for too long, with the characters moving between the “reality” of film and the world of theatrical pretense effortlessly and in the blink of an eye. This approach to structure allows the audience considerable distance from the potentially overheated material and somehow liberates both Keira Knightley as Anna and Jude Law as her wronged husband to make the most of Tom Stoppard’s excellent script. Knightley, who has seemed to stagnate as an actress lately, finds a role that is perfectly suited to her skills, and she gives her most committed performance in years and years. As if following Knightley’s lead, Jude Law does his best work in ages, too, as the conflicted husband who vacillates among moral disapproval, uncertainty and compassion. Only prettied-up Aaron Johnson, who was so good as John Lennon in Nowhere Boy, proves disappointing—frivolous Russian dilettantes are obviously not his thing, so as a romantic lead, he comes off a little too earnest and a little too earth-bound. I don’t know what I was expecting from the film exactly, but I certainly didn’t expect it to be anywhere near as watchable as it is.

Last edited by kihei: 12-01-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old
12-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Stu Macher

I found it interesting to see you say that Knightley has stagnated as an actress lately. It's something that I totally agree with, although I guess she's supposed to be pretty good in Anna Karenina, even people who aren't high on the film have said so. I really would like to see her move away from the period pieces. I'd love to see her in more "modern day" films, I think she's got a likable 21st century feel to her.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:18 AM
octopi

Wreck it Ralph 8/10- I came in not expecting much, but I really enjoyed this movie.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:04 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
I found it interesting to see you say that Knightley has stagnated as an actress lately. It's something that I totally agree with, although I guess she's supposed to be pretty good in Anna Karenina, even people who aren't high on the film have said so. I really would like to see her move away from the period pieces. I'd love to see her in more "modern day" films, I think she's got a likable 21st century feel to her.
I think she's a perfect actress for period pieces. I haven't really liked her in her modern roles really. I guess it's a matter of preference, though.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:15 PM
kihei

A Late Quartet (2012), directed by Yaron Zilberman: The four musicians of a famous string quartet of long standing are thrown into a crisis when their oldest member is stricken with Parkinson's Disease. He handles the situation very well but the other three musicians fall apart. This is potentially an interesting plot, well off the beaten path for a Hollywood film, and it should be full of fresh possibilities. But, no, those possibilities are never realized. The script settles for exploring old melodramatic chestnuts like marital strife and inappropriate affairs. Too bad, because when infrequently the movie does focus on the music and the instruments which make that music the film briefly comes alive. The ending, which dots every conceivable "i" and crosses every single "t" is supposed to be emotional in a tony, dignified way, but I thought that it fell flat, too. However, the actors--Philip Seymour Hoffman, Catherine Keener, Christopher Walken, and Mark Ivanir--are so good despite working with a pedestrian script that they almost make the movie worth watching anyway. Walken is deservedly getting a lot of praise for his performance, but I thought Keener was his equal. Outside of maybe John Malkovich, who does bitter intelligence better than she does?

Last edited by kihei: 12-02-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old
12-02-2012, 11:28 AM
kihei

I was shopping for Christmas presents and found Mon Oncle Antoine on DVD for $5. I was overjoyed as I feared it had been lost through neglect as I hadn’t heard a word about it for years and years. Every Canadian should see this movie. It's part of our cultural heritage.

Mon Oncle Antoine (1973), directed by Claude Jutra: In rural Quebec during the Duplessis era in the late ‘40s, Benoit, a 15-year-old boy, works in the general store and observes the behavior of the adults around him. It is a one-company mining town, where the owners are English and the workers are French. Christmas is coming and winter has already arrived in a big way. We simply observe the goings on of the town’s inhabitants as life’s little dramas unfold. Benoit learns a little more about himself and those around him, and his young life goes on. That synopsis doesn’t sound earthshaking, and it isn’t. But Mon Oncle Antoine is an absolutely wonderful movie. Director Claude Jutra (he also plays Fernand, a clerk in the store) does a lovely job of allowing us to see the world through Benoit’s eyes while also helping us to understand the often intense repugnance that the members of the community feel toward their English bosses. In fact, the gulf between the Two Solitudes has seldom been more convincingly portrayed in any medium. But it is the warmth and the humanity of the film that stays in one’s memory. Jutra is as close as Canada ever came to having our own Truffaut. It was a tragedy that his career was cut short by Alzheimer’s Disease when he was only in his mid-fifties. For my money, this is still the best Canadian film ever made.

subtitles

Old
12-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Dark Knight Rises - 9/10
Late to see it, but really enjoyed it. Thought Tom Hardy was fantastic as Bane and Hathaway was a good Catwoman.

Ted - 7/10
Better than anticipated. I enjoyed it.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:47 PM
SB164

Quote:
Keira Knightley and James McCavoy have yet to surpass their performances in Atonement. But I'm sure a great script based on a best-selling novel probably helps too.

McCavoy is currently working with fellow Scotsman Danny Boyle, so at least he's back on the right direction (in every sense of the word).

Old
12-02-2012, 05:05 PM
shello
@WShello9

X-Men 3 last stand. Meh don't find it as bad as most, nearly not as good as the first two but still enjoyable. Would've been better if they stuck purely to the mutant cure/war rather than the mutant cure and the Dark Phoneix saga. Never noticed the scene after the credits till now.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:12 AM
TAnnala

I watched I love you Phillip Morrison last night and thought it was ok. A bit boring for me, but apparently it was based on real story so that made it a bit more interesting.

7.4/10

I watched The Last Three Days two day's a go and i really liked that one. but Russell Crowe is easily one of my favorite actors of all-time.

8.7/10

Old
12-03-2012, 09:47 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
The 400 Blows: 8/10
It took me quite a long time to get around to this classic. It was good - didn't blow me away but I liked it. It wasn't altogether entirely what I was expecting, but I'm not really sure what I was expecting. I actually found a lot of similarities between this movie and The White Ribbon...not sure if that's a valid comparison or not but there you have it.

Knife in the Water: 7/10
After Truffaut's first, Polanski's first. I like "closed room" settings, so Polanski putting a man, his wife, a drifter they picked up and a knife on a sailboat appealed to me. It did drag a bit - the tension builds slowly (sometimes not at all) and comes to an inevitable climax. I won't spoil the ending but I did wish that it had been done differently. As it is, I liked it, but I thought there was something that could've been done to make it more powerful. The soundtrack is excellent, a weird jazzy thing that sometimes seems ill-fitting, but I liked it.

The American: 6/10
Been wanting to see this one for a while. Hollywood goes Slow? I'm in. Well, director Anton Corbijn has a good eye for visuals, impressively filming beautiful landscapes in Sweden and Italy, but as a director, his style seems lacking. Witness Nicolas Winding Refn doing a similar thing much better a few years later with Drive. Heck, even Jim Jarmusch did it better a year earlier with The Limits of Control. Also, both those movies had fantastic soundtracks, something which I thought really let down The American (strange, given Corbijn's history as a music video director and his previous feature on Joy Division).
Finally, I just didn't buy George Clooney in the role of a cold-blooded killer, no matter how hard he set his jaw. With his cocktail party looks and dark brown sweaters, it was a poor fit from day one, though I can see why he would want to try the role.
So it didn't really come together for me, but I can see what Corbijn was aiming for. I think it was an interesting effort if not a success.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:31 PM
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain

Skyfall

Awesome.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Prometheus - 5/10

A rambling mess of a movie that does no justice to Scott's earlier work in the series. The sheer look of the film is nice. It is clearly of the world of the Nostromo (though, admittedly, this "earlier" ship is quite a bit nicer). Ten years ago, I might have gotten more worked up in my negativity towards this movie, but the unrelenting crush of crappy "alien" movies tied in to the Predator franchise has made me too indifferent towards the series to care that much. Which is a shame, because I was a huge fan of the first two (and even three) movies in the series, and was able to watch the fourth one in good humor. I was looking forward to a return to form with Scott back at the helm, but it ended up being underwhelming and disappointing.

The Avengers - 8/10

I'm not a huge fan of superhero movies, but I always end up seeing them at some point. The Avengers is worth the time, and I think it is entirely due to Whedon. I think he has the same sort of wonderful gift for pacing and framing action movies/sequences that JJ Abrams has. They don't always work with the best material (especially Abrams, e.g. Star Trek) on the page, but they find a way to put the best material on the screen. The main thing I came away with is that this is how the Hulk is best used. I also figure Hulk is inline for a major knocking down of a peg or two in the next movie because he was just too "big" in this one. They set him up for a fall, which I'm not really looking forward to. I like Hulk smash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The 400 Blows: 8/10
It took me quite a long time to get around to this classic. It was good - didn't blow me away but I liked it. It wasn't altogether entirely what I was expecting, but I'm not really sure what I was expecting. I actually found a lot of similarities between this movie and The White Ribbon...not sure if that's a valid comparison or not but there you have it.
I'm a fan of 400 Blows, too. Keep meaning to re-watch it but I don't get around to it. Like you, when I first waded into it, I'm not sure what I was expecting, either, but Truffaut delivered. I think it was my first Truffaut movie, too.

12-05-2012, 12:20 AM
kihei

Celebration Day (2012), directed by Dick Carruthers: In December of 2007, Led Zeppelin reformed to play a tribute concert in London in honour of the late Ahmet Ertegun who was the founder of Atlantic Records. That concert has finally been released, and if there are any Led Zep fans still out there, this DVD should go to the top of your Christmas wish list. The band is in excellent form. What they have lost technically through aging they seem to make up for with passion. This is not a creaky band of old geezers going through the motions and hoping for the best. This is one of the greatest rock bands in history still sounding like one of the greatest rock bands in history. Their songlist emphasizes the first half of their career almost exclusively, and they collectively seem to enjoy showing off their blues roots, even acknowledging their sources, something that they didn't do often enough in the past. Plant has lost a lot off his high end, but he compensates intelligently and he probably phrases better than he ever did. And Page is phenomenal--his fingers may not be as supple as when he was younger, but it's hard to tell. Certainly, he has seldom sounded better than he does here. For any genuine rock fan, I should think this concert would be a real treat.

Last edited by kihei: 12-05-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old
12-05-2012, 05:32 AM
Everlasting

Detroit Metal City

A japanse wannabe popstar moves to tokyo to become a popstar but ends up becoming the front figure and lead singer in the death metal band Detroit Metal City. There is not much to say about this movie. It delivers in every way possible. Its so damn funny so many amazing jokes and it also futures gene simmons
Amazing movie In terms of comedy: 9 / 10
A must for anyone into hardrock and metal music or anyone who has a sense of humor

Old
12-05-2012, 01:23 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
The Great Dictator: 10/10
The Kid: 10/10
City Lights: 9/10
The Wild One: 7.5/10
Rebel Without a Cause: 8/10

Closed Thread