HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Consistently great?

I didn't realise going from 18 points in your first 14 games to 7 in your last 14 was being consistently great.

Galchenyuk on the other hand had 16 in his first 13 and 23 in his next 12. So not consistent, but that's just because he keeps getting better.
It really does seem like you're arguing point totals when comparing a defenceman to a foward.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:48 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Without Rielly the teams among the worst....
Are you a regular WHL watcher? I know I am.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:57 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Moose Jaw isn't god awful, they are an average to below-average junior club. Rielly is a far above junior-aged talent, so unless he's playing on an elite team with many above-average players a lot of them are going to have trouble finishing his plays off. It doesn't make Moose Jaw a god-awful team - you shouldn't care about his points anyways, they rarely ever tell the whole story in junior. It's consistency of play at a high level that matters in terms of defending/creating/maintaining focus/conditioning.
Yup, but they have been struggling badly; outside of the past 2 games, Moose Jaw won once in a span of 12 games. Also, their GF average is 2nd worst in the WHL right now, behind the Everett Silvertips. They should turn it around however..

Old
11-29-2012, 10:58 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Consistently great?

I didn't realise going from 18 points in your first 14 games to 7 in your last 14 was being consistently great.

Galchenyuk on the other hand had 16 in his first 13 and 23 in his next 12. So not consistent, but that's just because he keeps getting better.
I find this to be a dismal argument.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:02 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
It really does seem like you're arguing point totals when comparing a defenceman to a foward.
I'm just showing that his point production hasn't been consistent.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:04 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Are you a regular WHL watcher? I know I am.
As much as i can, mostly Moose Jaw for Rielly but have caught a few Portland and Edmonton games. Its really clear the difference in talent on each team, Edmonton and Portland you see massive contributions by players throughout the lineup, on Moose Jaw Fioretti is the only player outside of Rielly that is even noticeable.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:05 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
I find this to be a dismal argument.
What's dismal about it? He said Reilly's been consistent and Galchenyuk hasn't. I showed that Reilly hasn't been consistent in producing points as his production has dropped whereas Galchenyuk hasn't been consistent either but that's because his production has just been getting better.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:09 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
What's dismal about it? He said Reilly's been consistent and Galchenyuk hasn't. I showed that Reilly hasn't been consistent in producing points as his production has dropped whereas Galchenyuk hasn't been consistent either but that's because his production has just been getting better.
Problem here is that you're inhibiting "consistent" play to just what you see on the stat sheet (for Rielly that is).

Old
11-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Beleafer4

The problem with moose jaw is that there is no one who can finish (fioretti excluded). However, from what I have seen, I think rielly's offensive game will translate smoothly into the nhl, so im not worried.

Edit: Im very curious to see how he does in wjc when hes surrounded by offensive weapons.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
As much as i can, mostly Moose Jaw for Rielly but have caught a few Portland and Edmonton games. Its really clear the difference in talent on each team, Edmonton and Portland you see massive contributions by players throughout the lineup, on Moose Jaw Fioretti is the only player outside of Rielly that is even noticeable.

Fioretti has really fallen off, Tanner Eberle has been more awesome.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:15 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Problem here is that you're inhibiting "consistent" play to just what you see on the stat sheet (for Rielly that is).
But that's a good indicator of consistency for the offensive side of his game at least.

I'm sure someone whose watched him more than I have can say whether or not he's been consistent defensively as you can't judge that by a scoresheet, but it's pretty obvious that he has been inconsistent offensively.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:20 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post

Fioretti has really fallen off, Tanner Eberle has been more awesome.
Point and Eberle have been good but nothing close to impact players.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:25 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
But that's a good indicator of consistency for the offensive side of his game at least.

I'm sure someone whose watched him more than I have can say whether or not he's been consistent defensively as you can't judge that by a scoresheet, but it's pretty obvious that he has been inconsistent offensively.
It's a good indicator, sure, but it's not entirely conclusive. Anyone who's watched the games from his first 15 games vs his last 10 games or so most likely won't say that his offensive game has been inconsistent. If anything, he's been burnt more now that he's trying to be more of a catalyst offensively.

Last edited by TheLeastOfTheBunch: 11-30-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old
11-29-2012, 11:50 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Moose Jaw isn't god awful, they are an average to below-average junior club. Rielly is a far above junior-aged talent, so unless he's playing on an elite team with many above-average players a lot of them are going to have trouble finishing his plays off. It doesn't make Moose Jaw a god-awful team - you shouldn't care about his points anyways, they rarely ever tell the whole story in junior. It's consistency of play at a high level that matters in terms of defending/creating/maintaining focus/conditioning.
Haha no, Moose Jaw is pretty terrible. There's like, what, 5 players with a positive +/-? And their goal differentia is -17. They're bad.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Christ

Quote:
I guess this assessment of Moose Jaw is accurate...that said, take Rielly off the team and Moose Jaw becomes god awful.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:35 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
I see Moose Jaw as the Islanders from last year. Rielly is Tavares, Fioretti is Moulson and Point and Eberle are Hamonic/Neilsen/Streit/Okposo. They have one elite player who brings another player up to good level partially on his own and this makes the team average to mediocre, but take away the elite player and the team is one of, if not the worst in the league

Old
11-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Atomos2
TheGrimLeafProspects

Quote:
Consistently great?

You realize you're comparing a dman to a forward right. Rielly must be something special if you feel like comparing him to a top line centre.

EDIT

I just realized a few other poster already caught you on that. Good thing to cuz that was a terrible comparison. All players will go through slumps so talking about consistency in stats at this level doesn't mean much. The trick is maintaining the same high level of play and not letting it deteriorate. Rielly showed he had a strong work ethic and strong character which is shown in his consistent play. Bounces won't go your way sometimes, doesn't mean your less of a player or not as consistent.

Last edited by Atomos2: 11-30-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old
11-30-2012, 01:03 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Brayden Point? Joel Edmundson? Travis Brown?

Old
11-30-2012, 01:16 AM
Atomos2
TheGrimLeafProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Brayden Point? Joel Edmundson? Travis Brown?
Massive contributions? Well, I guess when you're scoring as little as Moose jaw they do make relatively massive contributions.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:21 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Massive contributions? Well, I guess when you're scoring as little as Moose jaw they do make relatively massive contributions.
May not look like much unless youve actually seen them play I suppose. Stats dont tell the whole story. Tbh, Rielly looked much better coming off his knee injury in the playoffs last year than he has this season, but Ive only seen him two or three times so far this year.

Moose Jaw is a poor team. No doubt about it. But they do have some talent and some decent players. Also Rielly sucks up all the gravy, as he should, but its not like he is dominating night after night but is being foiled by plugs who cant finish.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:27 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
At which position do you think that a player could be considered a steal? I'd say no earlier than 12th..

In all seriousness a player can be a steal at 2nd overall. Malkin over Ovechkin certainly looks like a steal for Pittsburgh right now. As well as Jonathan Toews being selected third overall behind Erik Johnson and Jordan Staal.
Nope, sorry bud. You expect a top 5 pick to produce at the NHL level. The rest are not guaranteed like a top 3 pick is. A top 3 pick cannot really exceed expectations because you EXPECT and PREDICT that they will be future NHL All Stars more consistently then those players picked much later. The stats prove this, and your ovi argument. Are you being serious?...

Old
11-30-2012, 01:28 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

Quote:
Point and Eberle have been good but nothing close to impact players.
point has been one of the better 16 year olds ive seen in the whl in a while.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:37 AM
Atomos2
TheGrimLeafProspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
May not look like much unless youve actually seen them play I suppose. Stats dont tell the whole story. Tbh, Rielly looked much better coming off his knee injury in the playoffs last year than he has this season, but Ive only seen him two or three times so far this year.

Moose Jaw is a poor team. No doubt about it. But they do have some talent and some decent players. Also Rielly sucks up all the gravy, as he should, but its not like he is dominating night after night but is being foiled by plugs who cant finish.
Oh I know they have talent, but their a young team, which means they are inconsistent. And despite Rielly's consistent play (atleast offensive consistent play) their inconsistency will provide slumps. They're not bad, just young and inconsistent.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:41 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
You realize you're comparing a dman to a forward right. Rielly must be something special if you feel like comparing him to a top line centre.

EDIT

I just realized a few other poster already caught you on that. Good thing to cuz that was a terrible comparison. All players will go through slumps so talking about consistency in stats at this level doesn't mean much. The trick is maintaining the same high level of play and not letting it deteriorate. Rielly showed he had a strong work ethic and strong character which is shown in his consistent play. Bounces won't go your way sometimes, doesn't mean your less of a player or not as consistent.
Ugh, look at the guy I quoted originally. He said Reilly was consistent and Galchenyuk wasn't. I used the points to show that clearly Reilly hasn't been consistent offensively.

If Leaf fans would take off their homer glasses for two seconds they could admit that Reilly isn't the most perfect player ever like some of them think.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Atomos2
TheGrimLeafProspects

Quote:
Ugh, look at the guy I quoted originally. He said Reilly was consistent and Galchenyuk wasn't. I used the points to show that clearly Reilly hasn't been consistent offensively.

If Leaf fans would take off their homer glasses for two seconds they could admit that Reilly isn't the most perfect player ever like some of them think.
Maybe if you realized not to group all leaf fans into one category based on ignorance just to satisfy your bias on a player you have rarely seen and don't even know how to spell the name of, then we would understand and respect your skepticism.

I do know of Rielly's faults. His physical play without the puck. His inability sometimes to clear and box players away from the net. We are not dumb.

I don't know if you have seen the Subway Super Series Game 5, but in that game, other than the two goalies, Rielly was arguably the best player on the ice and he didn't get one point. Bob Mckenzie along with a few others noted that he was amazing, but if you looked at the stats sheet you wouldn't see one point. Would you call that inconsistent? Would you call that a bad game for Rielly?

Last edited by Atomos2: 11-30-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Closed Thread