HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2012, 10:41 PM
  #951
Paris in Flames
Registered User
 
Paris in Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,313
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Consistently great?

I didn't realise going from 18 points in your first 14 games to 7 in your last 14 was being consistently great.

Galchenyuk on the other hand had 16 in his first 13 and 23 in his next 12. So not consistent, but that's just because he keeps getting better.
It really does seem like you're arguing point totals when comparing a defenceman to a foward.

Paris in Flames is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:48 PM
  #952
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Without Rielly the teams among the worst....
Are you a regular WHL watcher? I know I am.

puckfan13 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:57 PM
  #953
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,432
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Moose Jaw isn't god awful, they are an average to below-average junior club. Rielly is a far above junior-aged talent, so unless he's playing on an elite team with many above-average players a lot of them are going to have trouble finishing his plays off. It doesn't make Moose Jaw a god-awful team - you shouldn't care about his points anyways, they rarely ever tell the whole story in junior. It's consistency of play at a high level that matters in terms of defending/creating/maintaining focus/conditioning.
Yup, but they have been struggling badly; outside of the past 2 games, Moose Jaw won once in a span of 12 games. Also, their GF average is 2nd worst in the WHL right now, behind the Everett Silvertips. They should turn it around however..

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 10:58 PM
  #954
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Consistently great?

I didn't realise going from 18 points in your first 14 games to 7 in your last 14 was being consistently great.

Galchenyuk on the other hand had 16 in his first 13 and 23 in his next 12. So not consistent, but that's just because he keeps getting better.
I find this to be a dismal argument.

JVReemer is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:02 PM
  #955
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
It really does seem like you're arguing point totals when comparing a defenceman to a foward.
I'm just showing that his point production hasn't been consistent.

sharks9 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:04 PM
  #956
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,282
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Are you a regular WHL watcher? I know I am.
As much as i can, mostly Moose Jaw for Rielly but have caught a few Portland and Edmonton games. Its really clear the difference in talent on each team, Edmonton and Portland you see massive contributions by players throughout the lineup, on Moose Jaw Fioretti is the only player outside of Rielly that is even noticeable.

The Podium is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:05 PM
  #957
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
I find this to be a dismal argument.
What's dismal about it? He said Reilly's been consistent and Galchenyuk hasn't. I showed that Reilly hasn't been consistent in producing points as his production has dropped whereas Galchenyuk hasn't been consistent either but that's because his production has just been getting better.

sharks9 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:09 PM
  #958
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,432
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
What's dismal about it? He said Reilly's been consistent and Galchenyuk hasn't. I showed that Reilly hasn't been consistent in producing points as his production has dropped whereas Galchenyuk hasn't been consistent either but that's because his production has just been getting better.
Problem here is that you're inhibiting "consistent" play to just what you see on the stat sheet (for Rielly that is).

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:14 PM
  #959
Beleafer4
Registered User
 
Beleafer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
The problem with moose jaw is that there is no one who can finish (fioretti excluded). However, from what I have seen, I think rielly's offensive game will translate smoothly into the nhl, so im not worried.

Edit: Im very curious to see how he does in wjc when hes surrounded by offensive weapons.

Beleafer4 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:14 PM
  #960
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
As much as i can, mostly Moose Jaw for Rielly but have caught a few Portland and Edmonton games. Its really clear the difference in talent on each team, Edmonton and Portland you see massive contributions by players throughout the lineup, on Moose Jaw Fioretti is the only player outside of Rielly that is even noticeable.


Fioretti has really fallen off, Tanner Eberle has been more awesome.

Fearless Leaf* is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:15 PM
  #961
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Problem here is that you're inhibiting "consistent" play to just what you see on the stat sheet (for Rielly that is).
But that's a good indicator of consistency for the offensive side of his game at least.

I'm sure someone whose watched him more than I have can say whether or not he's been consistent defensively as you can't judge that by a scoresheet, but it's pretty obvious that he has been inconsistent offensively.

sharks9 is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:20 PM
  #962
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,282
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post


Fioretti has really fallen off, Tanner Eberle has been more awesome.
Point and Eberle have been good but nothing close to impact players.

The Podium is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:25 PM
  #963
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,432
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
But that's a good indicator of consistency for the offensive side of his game at least.

I'm sure someone whose watched him more than I have can say whether or not he's been consistent defensively as you can't judge that by a scoresheet, but it's pretty obvious that he has been inconsistent offensively.
It's a good indicator, sure, but it's not entirely conclusive. Anyone who's watched the games from his first 15 games vs his last 10 games or so most likely won't say that his offensive game has been inconsistent. If anything, he's been burnt more now that he's trying to be more of a catalyst offensively.


Last edited by TheLeastOfTheBunch: 11-30-2012 at 04:58 AM.
TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:50 PM
  #964
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Moose Jaw isn't god awful, they are an average to below-average junior club. Rielly is a far above junior-aged talent, so unless he's playing on an elite team with many above-average players a lot of them are going to have trouble finishing his plays off. It doesn't make Moose Jaw a god-awful team - you shouldn't care about his points anyways, they rarely ever tell the whole story in junior. It's consistency of play at a high level that matters in terms of defending/creating/maintaining focus/conditioning.
Haha no, Moose Jaw is pretty terrible. There's like, what, 5 players with a positive +/-? And their goal differentia is -17. They're bad.

7even is online now  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:58 PM
  #965
Christ
Registered User
 
Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Moose Jaw isn't god awful, they are an average to below-average junior club. Rielly is a far above junior-aged talent, so unless he's playing on an elite team with many above-average players a lot of them are going to have trouble finishing his plays off. It doesn't make Moose Jaw a god-awful team - you shouldn't care about his points anyways, they rarely ever tell the whole story in junior. It's consistency of play at a high level that matters in terms of defending/creating/maintaining focus/conditioning.
I guess this assessment of Moose Jaw is accurate...that said, take Rielly off the team and Moose Jaw becomes god awful.

Christ is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 12:35 AM
  #966
DKQ
Generic User Title
 
DKQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Press Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Moose Jaw isn't god awful, they are an average to below-average junior club. Rielly is a far above junior-aged talent, so unless he's playing on an elite team with many above-average players a lot of them are going to have trouble finishing his plays off. It doesn't make Moose Jaw a god-awful team - you shouldn't care about his points anyways, they rarely ever tell the whole story in junior. It's consistency of play at a high level that matters in terms of defending/creating/maintaining focus/conditioning.
I see Moose Jaw as the Islanders from last year. Rielly is Tavares, Fioretti is Moulson and Point and Eberle are Hamonic/Neilsen/Streit/Okposo. They have one elite player who brings another player up to good level partially on his own and this makes the team average to mediocre, but take away the elite player and the team is one of, if not the worst in the league

DKQ is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 12:42 AM
  #967
Atomos2
TheGrimLeafProspects
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Consistently great?

I didn't realise going from 18 points in your first 14 games to 7 in your last 14 was being consistently great.

Galchenyuk on the other hand had 16 in his first 13 and 23 in his next 12. So not consistent, but that's just because he keeps getting better.
You realize you're comparing a dman to a forward right. Rielly must be something special if you feel like comparing him to a top line centre.

EDIT

I just realized a few other poster already caught you on that. Good thing to cuz that was a terrible comparison. All players will go through slumps so talking about consistency in stats at this level doesn't mean much. The trick is maintaining the same high level of play and not letting it deteriorate. Rielly showed he had a strong work ethic and strong character which is shown in his consistent play. Bounces won't go your way sometimes, doesn't mean your less of a player or not as consistent.


Last edited by Atomos2: 11-30-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Atomos2 is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 01:03 AM
  #968
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,180
vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
As much as i can, mostly Moose Jaw for Rielly but have caught a few Portland and Edmonton games. Its really clear the difference in talent on each team, Edmonton and Portland you see massive contributions by players throughout the lineup, on Moose Jaw Fioretti is the only player outside of Rielly that is even noticeable.
Brayden Point? Joel Edmundson? Travis Brown?

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 01:16 AM
  #969
Atomos2
TheGrimLeafProspects
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Brayden Point? Joel Edmundson? Travis Brown?
Massive contributions? Well, I guess when you're scoring as little as Moose jaw they do make relatively massive contributions.

Atomos2 is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 01:21 AM
  #970
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,180
vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Massive contributions? Well, I guess when you're scoring as little as Moose jaw they do make relatively massive contributions.
May not look like much unless youve actually seen them play I suppose. Stats dont tell the whole story. Tbh, Rielly looked much better coming off his knee injury in the playoffs last year than he has this season, but Ive only seen him two or three times so far this year.

Moose Jaw is a poor team. No doubt about it. But they do have some talent and some decent players. Also Rielly sucks up all the gravy, as he should, but its not like he is dominating night after night but is being foiled by plugs who cant finish.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 01:27 AM
  #971
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
At which position do you think that a player could be considered a steal? I'd say no earlier than 12th..

In all seriousness a player can be a steal at 2nd overall. Malkin over Ovechkin certainly looks like a steal for Pittsburgh right now. As well as Jonathan Toews being selected third overall behind Erik Johnson and Jordan Staal.
Nope, sorry bud. You expect a top 5 pick to produce at the NHL level. The rest are not guaranteed like a top 3 pick is. A top 3 pick cannot really exceed expectations because you EXPECT and PREDICT that they will be future NHL All Stars more consistently then those players picked much later. The stats prove this, and your ovi argument. Are you being serious?...

McTankel is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 01:28 AM
  #972
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly
 
skip2mybordeleau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,780
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Point and Eberle have been good but nothing close to impact players.
point has been one of the better 16 year olds ive seen in the whl in a while.

skip2mybordeleau is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 01:37 AM
  #973
Atomos2
TheGrimLeafProspects
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
May not look like much unless youve actually seen them play I suppose. Stats dont tell the whole story. Tbh, Rielly looked much better coming off his knee injury in the playoffs last year than he has this season, but Ive only seen him two or three times so far this year.

Moose Jaw is a poor team. No doubt about it. But they do have some talent and some decent players. Also Rielly sucks up all the gravy, as he should, but its not like he is dominating night after night but is being foiled by plugs who cant finish.
Oh I know they have talent, but their a young team, which means they are inconsistent. And despite Rielly's consistent play (atleast offensive consistent play) their inconsistency will provide slumps. They're not bad, just young and inconsistent.

Atomos2 is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 07:41 AM
  #974
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
You realize you're comparing a dman to a forward right. Rielly must be something special if you feel like comparing him to a top line centre.

EDIT

I just realized a few other poster already caught you on that. Good thing to cuz that was a terrible comparison. All players will go through slumps so talking about consistency in stats at this level doesn't mean much. The trick is maintaining the same high level of play and not letting it deteriorate. Rielly showed he had a strong work ethic and strong character which is shown in his consistent play. Bounces won't go your way sometimes, doesn't mean your less of a player or not as consistent.
Ugh, look at the guy I quoted originally. He said Reilly was consistent and Galchenyuk wasn't. I used the points to show that clearly Reilly hasn't been consistent offensively.

If Leaf fans would take off their homer glasses for two seconds they could admit that Reilly isn't the most perfect player ever like some of them think.

sharks9 is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 08:01 AM
  #975
Atomos2
TheGrimLeafProspects
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Ugh, look at the guy I quoted originally. He said Reilly was consistent and Galchenyuk wasn't. I used the points to show that clearly Reilly hasn't been consistent offensively.

If Leaf fans would take off their homer glasses for two seconds they could admit that Reilly isn't the most perfect player ever like some of them think.
Maybe if you realized not to group all leaf fans into one category based on ignorance just to satisfy your bias on a player you have rarely seen and don't even know how to spell the name of, then we would understand and respect your skepticism.

I do know of Rielly's faults. His physical play without the puck. His inability sometimes to clear and box players away from the net. We are not dumb.

I don't know if you have seen the Subway Super Series Game 5, but in that game, other than the two goalies, Rielly was arguably the best player on the ice and he didn't get one point. Bob Mckenzie along with a few others noted that he was amazing, but if you looked at the stats sheet you wouldn't see one point. Would you call that inconsistent? Would you call that a bad game for Rielly?


Last edited by Atomos2: 11-30-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Atomos2 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.