HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

2013 Offseason

Old
11-29-2012, 09:57 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
2013 Offseason

Hey guys, considering the full-year lockout looks very likely at this point, I wanted to discuss all of the possible moves in the 2013 offseason.

Upcoming Free Agents on the Wings:

Valtteri Filppula (UFA)
Danny Cleary (UFA)
Jimmy Howard (UFA)
Drew Miller (UFA)
Damien Brunner (UFA)
Ian White (UFA)
Gustav Nyquist (RFA)
Jan Mursak (RFA)
Brendan Smith (RFA)
Jakub Kindl (RFA)

Notable Free Agents (possibly) on the market:

Travis Zajac (C)
Derek Roy (C)
Micheal Ryder (RW)
Niklas Backstrom (G)
Nathan Horton (RW)
Kari Lehtonen (G)
Stephen Weiss (C)
Mike Smith (G)
Jarome Iginla (RW)
Alexander Semin (LW/RW)
Ryan Getzlaf (C)
Correy Perry (RW)
Alexander Edler (LD)
Joffrey Lupul (LW/RW)
Dan Dekeyser (RD)

Personally, I would like to see Jimmy, Brunner, Ian, and Fil resigned and all of the RFA's. I would let everyone else walk because we need some young talent in the lineup. We NEED to sign Edler because there aren't many good defensemen on the market. And, depending on cap space, I would love to see KH sign Semin (if signing Perry isn't possible). Semin on the Wing with Datsyuk would be amazing. The plethora of RW's that could play on Pav's wing is intriguing.

What do you guys think? Who should we resign? Who should we let walk? Which big named free agents should we go after? Should we propose any trades? This is a VERY important offseason for Ken Holland and crew.

Last edited by The Nose: 11-30-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Burrows resigned, added Dekeyser.
The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:02 AM
jroc86

These threads were fun last year until July 4th lol ...
What would put me over the moon (too late to capgeek this and Im aware it will be totally unrealistic)

Nyquist Datsyuk Perry (7) or Igninla (6)
Filpula Zett Brunner
Franzen Helm Samulsen
Tatar Adbekader Tootoo
Ferraro Mursak

Bert (buy out)
Cleary + Miller traded for D.Murray/Regehr + late pick @ deadline. Resign affordably.

Defence:
Kronwall Smith
Edler (6.5?) Ericsson
Regehr (2.5) Quincey
Dekeyser

Jimmy + Monster ... Mrazek ready to log 20+ games in 2014.
Kindl let walk. White walk ... despite being a righty, great team guy, and busting ass - if a bigger/better horse is available hes gota be cut loose.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Claypool

I think you have to get Getzlaf over Perry. You need 2 capable #1 centers on your team to go deep at all times. This moves Zetterberg to one of the top 2 lines at wing.

Dump Bert and Cleary, bring up Nyquist, Tatar, and Mursak.

Wave goodbye to Filppula and resign Brunner for another year.

Dump Samuelsson somehow unless you can't get Getzlaf.

Franzen - Datsyuk - Zetterberg (I think this line can dominate)
Nyquist - Getzlaf - Brunner (Speed)
Tatar - Helm - Mursak (Speed)
Tootoo - Abdelkader - Miller (Grit)

Kronwall - Edler
Smith - Quincy
Ericsson - Kindl

Howard
Gustavsson

Last edited by Claypool: 11-30-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Claypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:45 AM
pdd

Filppula.
Zajac.
Weiss.

Edler.
White.

Howard.

Done.

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Tatar
Nyquist/Zajac/Filppula
Franzen/Weiss/Samuelsson
Abdelkader/Helm/Tootoo
Emmerton/Mursak

Kronwall/White
Edler/Ericsson
Quincey/Smith
Kindl

Howard
Gustavsson

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:57 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Filppula.
Zajac.
Weiss.

Edler.
White.

Howard.

Done.

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Tatar
Nyquist/Zajac/Filppula
Franzen/Weiss/Samuelsson
Abdelkader/Helm/Tootoo
Emmerton/Mursak

Kronwall/White
Edler/Ericsson
Quincey/Smith
Kindl

Howard
Gustavsson
What kind of a crazy cap world are you leaving in? Oh my God you think Fehr is going to win.... The only way to explain this.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:35 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
What kind of a crazy cap world are you leaving in? Oh my God you think Fehr is going to win.... The only way to explain this.
Yah, and Weiss is due for a huge raise. 3rd line center..

There'll be some tough decisions if there's no season..
..But signing Howard and Fil to extensions is priority #1.
Nyquist and Smith won't be a problem.
Try to sign Brunner again for sure, Z will take care of that.
Mursak, give a one-year deal(too early to give up on IMO).
Miller, Cleary - gone.
Kindl, whatever.
White depends on demands.

But cut the cap by $10M and all bets are off. Bold moves will have to happen then.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:53 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

I wish he was right handed but I have to be honest having tuned in to a few KHL games during this thing, I really like Martin Škoula, big physical stay at home guy that can pk. I don't know his contract in the KHL and he might be there by choice but he has impressed me a couple times watching Lev. I admit I should probably look it up, just was thinking about it the last time I saw them play and I guess being a little lazy.

In any event Miller, White and Cleary are gone for me.

I wonder what the NHL will do about some of these older guys deciding to retire because of a full year off, maybe the penalty won't apply and we wiggle away from Bert. A full year off is not going to pretty for some of these vets. Bert is going to have trouble getting a contract to even once they call this thing, it was an issue the last time for him and he is due in a court at some point if they are locked out right?

Really don't see the point in cutting bait with the RFA guys we have, Smith and Nyquist are of course keep situations. I am curious to see what both get salary wise. But even Kindl and especially Mursak of the lesser name guys are both players I want to see after this lockout and have not fully given up on.

Howard, Filppula and Edler are the priorities, but I don't think you can get all three once they set the cap numbers. We will see. If push comes to shove and I like Jimmy I just wonder the Wings have had a history of keeping the goalie position cheap at times, wouldn't surprise me if he is the numbers crunch if they believe in Monster and Mrazek continues setting the world on fire.

Streit and Whitney should be out there as well, but once again not a great D year.

The Wings are going to need to do some trading, the logjam of prospects is becoming a problem.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:36 AM
joe89

Quote:
Howard, Filppula and Edler are the priorities, but I don't think you can get all three once they set the cap numbers. We will see. If push comes to shove and I like Jimmy I just wonder the Wings have had a history of keeping the goalie position cheap at times, wouldn't surprise me if he is the numbers crunch if they believe in Monster and Mrazek continues setting the world on fire.
I differ with you on this one. I'd keep Howard over Fil in a numbers game. Let's say that Fil at 4.75M, Howard at 3.75M are reasonable, Detroit-ish, numbers. I have no problem with Howard getting that, albeit only on a three-year deal. He's a safety net. Fil's importance on the other hand can be discussed. Will he progress further offensively? How good would he carry his own line as center if Pavel is gone? If he's seen as a winger going forward, the answer would be even easier. We have Nyquist, Tatar and Jarnkrok coming. No guarantees, but I like the chances of at least one of them filling that hole much better than any goalie filling Howard's.

I don't think we can toss Edler into the mix of those two. We have the inside track to sign Fil & Howard, Edler would be a free agency race.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:54 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I differ with you on this one. I'd keep Howard over Fil in a numbers game. Let's say that Fil at 4.75M, Howard at 3.75M are reasonable, Detroit-ish, numbers. I have no problem with Howard getting that, albeit only on a three-year deal. He's a safety net. Fil's importance on the other hand can be discussed. Will he progress further offensively? How good would he carry his own line as center if Pavel is gone? If he's seen as a winger going forward, the answer would be even easier. We have Nyquist, Tatar and Jarnkrok coming. No guarantees, but I like the chances of at least one of them filling that hole much better than any goalie filling Howard's.

I don't think we can toss Edler into the mix of those two. We have the inside track to sign Fil & Howard, Edler would be a free agency race.
Actually put them in the order I would do this. As much as I like Edler, I hope they resign the Wings guys first, especially if they both want reasonable deals. I agree with your logic though I can be talked either way on Edler and Filppula, would love to somehow work out all three guys. Don't know if that is possible a lot of that depends on the CBA and how that impacts the market. I was just wondering if the Wings might go the cheap goalie route again if pushed.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:08 AM
joe89

Quote:
Actually put them in the order I would do this. As much as I like Edler, I hope they resign the Wings guys first, especially if they both want reasonable deals. I agree with your logic though I can be talked either way on Edler and Filppula, would love to somehow work out all three guys. Don't know if that is possible a lot of that depends on the CBA and how that impacts the market. I was just wondering if the Wings might go the cheap goalie route again if pushed.
It'll be very interesting to see what happens with the CBA. It could call for some bold decisions, but on the other hand Wings have a better seat than many other teams. My first move wouldn't be the goalie anyway, Wings might think otherwise.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Nyquist

My first priorities are Howard and Edler. If getting those two means the wings have to let Filppula go then so be it. Our need at defense is much more important than at offense. Plus, we have a Nyquist, Brunner, Tatar, and Mursak ready with Jarnkrok not far behind.

There are some pretty good forwards this offseason if they aren't resigned. I'd rather see us re-sign Fil and then go straight for the second tier guys. Burrows or Ryder would be great with Datsyuk. One of them + Edler would be awesome. Then just re-sign our RFAs and let the rest walk.

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Ryder
Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner
Tatar - Filppula - Samuelsson
Mursak - Helm - Tootoo

Edler - Kronwall
Smith - Ericsson
Quincey - Kindl/Coliacavo

It lets FOUR rookies into the line-up and gives us three legit scoring lines if Nyquist, Brunner, and Tatar work out. If not we can always go back to the two main scoring lines with Helm as 3C. I didn't include Abdelkader or Bertuzzi as I'd rather see them traded for picks.

Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:42 AM
joe89

Not really disagreeing with the reasoning there, although Ryder scored 35 goals last year and has a previous record of scoring equally much as Fil. The $ save there would be marginal at best. Burrows already re-signed with VAN.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Harnessed in Slums

If you end up with a 50/50 split which seems inevitable that means the salary cap would probably top out around $63.3 million per team for 2012-13. Depending on how the CBA works out it would be a good time to jettison the following contracts or not sign the following players:

Cleary
Bert
Eaves
Emmerton
Homer
White
Kindl

That would save you right around $10.4 million. With those guys off the books the DRW would have close to $12.4 million available beneath the cap with 2 goalies, 5 d-men (including Smith), and 12 forwards. Nearly a full hockey club, just need 1 d-man. Of those players included on the roster the following are RFA/UFA and need new contracts:

Filppula +1.5 million per year
Brunner same
Nyquist +0.5 million per year
Miller +0.25 million per year
Mursak +0.25 million per year
Smith + 1 million per year
Howard +1.75 million per year

That's an additional $5.25 million in salary. Deduct that from your $12.4 million and that should leave you with just about $7.2 million to go after free agents.

You could offer Alex Edler a very reasonable contract in the $6-6.5 million range. It's advisable to leave a bit of cap space for call ups and whatnot. So with all that out of the way here is the lineup.

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen
Filppula-Zetterberg-Brunner
Mursak-Helm-Samuelsson
Miller-Abdelkader-Tootoo

Kronwall-Edler
Ericsson-Smith
Quincey-Colaiacovo

Howard
Gustafsson

Tatar and Lashoff would probably be your call ups in the case of injury.

Harnessed in Slums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula / Pavel Datsyuk / Damien Brunner
Gustav Nyquist/ Henrik Zetterberg / Johan Franzen
Calle Jarnkrok / Darren Helm / Mikael Samuelsson
Tomas Tatar / Justin Abdelkader / Jordin Tootoo
Jan Mursak / Cory Emmerton /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall / Ryan Whitney
Brendan Smith / Jonathan Ericsson
Carlo Colaiacovo / Kyle Quincey
Jakub Kindl
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard
Jonas Gustavsson
------

Let Cleary, Miller and White walk. I think Bert retires after not being able to find the desire to the work to get into hockey shape again after a year off - that, or he promptly falls to injury in training camp. I think Eaves ends up calling it a career, though if he comes back, dump one of Emmerton/Mursak.

I assume we'd go after Edler, but will end up signing someone like Whitney or Smid. I picked Whitney. Also, I have Jarnkrok making the team. I think he continues to elevate his game this year, and makes his case for a roster spot next year. If Jarnkrok shows he can win a draw, I don't think Helm has as solid of a grab on that third line center spot as it's made out to be. If Jarnkrok can handle that spot and go a long way towards giving us three solid lines that can produce, I think a Gator-Helm-Tootoo fourth line isn't out of the question in the near future.

11-30-2012, 03:56 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Start with switch D and Z's wingers. Brunner seems to have built some good chemistry with Z and I'm sure Babcock will want to stick with that. Filppula also played well with Z last season so I doubt they would want to fix something that isn't broken. Nyquist looked good on Datsyuk's wing and Franzen will just have to adapt even though I think he's better playing with Z (from the Swedish NT during the WC)

The bottom 6 will have Helm, Abdelkader and Tootoo. Just go from there. I think expecting Jarnkrok to come over and play immediately in the NHL isn't farfetched. He still might play one season in GR though.

Mursak deserves a shot. Tatar's a lock so that leaves one spot for Samuelsson, Emmerton or Bert. I think Miller, Eaves, Cleary walk with Mursak and Emmerton being the 13th and 14th forwards. Hopefully, Bert decides to call it a day.

On defense you have a core of Kronwall, Smith, Quincey, Ericsson, Colaiacovo and Kindl. You need to replace White. Yeah Edler is the ideal replacement, I don't see it happening though. Either re-sign White or trade.

In goal, Howard will be re-signed with Monster as backup. The year after, Mrazek will be ready to backup Howie for 25 games.

So I agree mostly with Winger98:

Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner
Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen
Tatar - Jarnkrok - Samuelsson
Abdelkader - Helm - Tootoo
Emmerton/Mursak

Kronwall - Smith
Ericsson - White*
Colaiacovo - Quincey
Kindl

Howard
Gustavsson
Mrazek as first call-up

* or Edler, Regehr, Whitney, Murray or Lilja (come one it's bound to happen, Holland gets the boys together )

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:29 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

I don't know that they are big enough to work, I think they are just because of puck pursuit and how slippery they are but this is the top six I would go with.

Filppula - Datsyuk - Nyquist
Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner

I have always been a fan of Franzen and Zetterberg together, it is who Franzen plays best with. We still see it whenever team Sweden gets together, don't understand why Babs hates it. Filppula has actually also showed some pretty good chemistry with Datsyuk over the years when he is played in the winger role. The big thing for Filppula was just actually getting the top 6 wing role ice time, I think he will be fine with either center.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:05 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Filppula-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Franzen-Zetterberg-Brunner
Tatar-Helm-Mursak
Abdelkader-Andersson-Tootoo

Kronwall-Smith
Quincey-Colaiacovo
Ericsson-Kindl

Howard
Monster

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:59 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
I wish he was right handed but I have to be honest having tuned in to a few KHL games during this thing, I really like Martin Škoula, big physical stay at home guy that can pk. I don't know his contract in the KHL and he might be there by choice but he has impressed me a couple times watching Lev. I admit I should probably look it up, just was thinking about it the last time I saw them play and I guess being a little lazy.

In any event Miller, White and Cleary are gone for me.

I wonder what the NHL will do about some of these older guys deciding to retire because of a full year off, maybe the penalty won't apply and we wiggle away from Bert. A full year off is not going to pretty for some of these vets. Bert is going to have trouble getting a contract to even once they call this thing, it was an issue the last time for him and he is due in a court at some point if they are locked out right?

Really don't see the point in cutting bait with the RFA guys we have, Smith and Nyquist are of course keep situations. I am curious to see what both get salary wise. But even Kindl and especially Mursak of the lesser name guys are both players I want to see after this lockout and have not fully given up on.

Streit and Whitney should be out there as well, but once again not a great D year.

The Wings are going to need to do some trading, the logjam of prospects is becoming a problem.
Skoula is not physical.
He has puck poise!

This defense needs real toughness.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
This defense needs real toughness.
What are your thoughts on a guy like Mark Fistric?

There's no wrong answer, I'm just curious given your comments about toughness.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote