HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OKC Barons @ Houston Aeros 11/29 6:05PM MDT

Old
11-30-2012, 02:06 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
hall is good...but his hockey sense really is only on the Ryan Smyth level...
Smyth has great hockey sense.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:14 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Smyth has great hockey sense.
yes he does...he knows just how to skate over the blue line and take a weak slapshot missing the net 90% of the time.. but it workes once..may as well try it everytime!

Hall seems to wanna get creative..pass to certain locations that his smarter teamates have already abandoned...he looks slower in the head than his linemates...
and whats with him tryin to deke all the time?? hes a shooter first.

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:46 AM
Soundwave

Hall is fine. There were plenty of times when he was driving the line with RNH and Eberle riding shot gun last year.

He's going to look rusty for another couple of months, people just need to accept that. This type of shoulder injury takes a long time to recover from, Oiler fans should know this better than most as we've been through this exact same script like three times now, lol (Hemsky, Souray, Horcoff ... same surgery).

Hemsky looked like garbage last year until about February or so then started to look more like himself again. Souray was terrible the first year here, but then was basically an All-Star the full year afterwards removed from his surgery.

It takes time, fellas. When you do not have full confidence in your shoulder, your entire game is going to be a toss up.

One of the few bonuses of this lockout is Hall gets to recover in the AHL under the lime light without having to put too much pressure on himself. Better to work out the kinks in his game now.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:15 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I'm glad others are catching onto Hall's limited hockey sense. Doesn't mean he doesn't have top 10% physical attributes in this league. Just that like David Booth, he doesn't always know how to use it ideally.

Rajala's goal was filthy. Straight out of the Datsyukian handbook.

I agree BBO. Hall's one-on-one capability with goalies is horrible, especially when he tries to deke. Problem is his shot isn't too great either. A perfect scenario is him using his speed to create some deception for the goalie - similar to Nilsson's classic move. Swoop in from one side, backhand-forehand. Simple.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:20 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I'm glad others are catching onto Hall's limited hockey sense. Doesn't mean he has top 10% physical attributes in this league. Just that like David Booth, he doesn't always know how to use it ideally.
Good thing he's a much better player than David Booth.

David Booth at age 20 couldn't carry Hall's jockstrap.

Old
11-30-2012, 03:20 AM
nullterm

Hall doesn't win games with his head. He does it with his speed, skating, and shot. Leave the dangles to Eberle, Hemsky.

No big deal though, no harm in giving him a chance in the shootout.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:21 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Good thing he's a much better player than David Booth.

David Booth at age 20 couldn't carry Hall's jockstrap.
This is true. 2 players on a different level, but with similar issues regarding why they can't exploit their physical talents to become the stars they have the potential to be.

Old
11-30-2012, 03:23 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
This is true. 2 players on a different level, but with similar issues regarding why they can't exploit their physical talents to become the stars they have the potential to be.
Hall is so far in his NHL career through the first 2 seasons scoring at a better per game rate than Tyler Seguin (for both seasons) and a comparable to John Tavares.

And he played basically one of those two years with a bum shoulder.

If this is Taylor Hall not exploiting his gifts, then his full potential is basically Alex Ovechkin circa 2007 by your metric.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:43 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
I'm glad others are catching onto Hall's limited hockey sense.
I don't see the benefit of this realization.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:31 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Hall is so far in his NHL career through the first 2 seasons scoring at a better per game rate than Tyler Seguin (for both seasons) and a comparable to John Tavares.

And he played basically one of those two years with a bum shoulder.

If this is Taylor Hall not exploiting his gifts, then his full potential is basically Alex Ovechkin circa 2007 by your metric.
No, but very similar IMO.

Ovechkin has never been one to have great hockey sense, but it was still sufficient enough to propel him to the level he was at from 2006-2010.

He had perhaps the greatest combination of physical talents in the league for that period of time, and used above-average hockey sense to guide him to superstar-dom.

If Hall had above-average hockey sense, he would be putting up 80 points without star-level talents like RNH and Eberle on his line.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:37 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I don't see the benefit of this realization.
Tempers expectations. Avoids disappointment when he doesn't turn into a 90 point player.

Old
11-30-2012, 07:26 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
i was thinkin for a while that T.Hall would turn into D.Legwand..good player, not superstar...
whatever he turns into I hope he stays an Oiler for life

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Philly85
Moody'

I'm sure a few of those guys went out on the town the night before the game.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:35 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
i was thinkin for a while that T.Hall would turn into D.Legwand..good player, not superstar...
whatever he turns into I hope he stays an Oiler for life
Unlikely. Much better physical specimen. I'd say he puts up between 60-80 pt scoring paces for the next 15 years.Legwand isn't a top liner like Hall is.

Better comp production wise is a prime-level Brendan Morrow

Old
11-30-2012, 09:55 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Unlikely. Much better physical specimen. I'd say he puts up between 60-80 pt scoring paces for the next 15 years.Legwand isn't a top liner like Hall is.

I think he's more talented than Morrow. His 62 game season last year was already better than any of Morrows first 5 years.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:56 AM
MessierII

Hall will be a consistent 70+ point guy who will hit 90 a couple times his playmaking is so underrated and he'll be a 40 goal scorer very soon.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:00 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

You know Hall did just win Player of the week a few days ago and is on a similar point pace to Eberle and RNH. Are they going to top out at Brendan Morrow production as well?

No offense Hemsky_83, but I think most of us learned long ago to take your opinion of Hall(and Seguin) with a grain of salt.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:11 AM
CupofOil

Quote:

I don't necessarily disagree with your take on Hall regarding his hockey sense but he was on pace to beat out Morrow's best seasons as a 2nd year player.
There is no way that he isn't a higher point producer than Morrow in his prime especially the way this team is constructed up front. Morrow was generally a 20-25 goal 55-65 pt player, Hall will be a good deal more productive than that, he already is.
I don't know if Hall will ever reach the 90 pt plateau but i see him averaging somewhere between 35-40 goals 75-80 pts in his prime years.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
missinthejets

I disagree that Hall has poor hockey sense, I think he's got good hockey sense, but he happens to play with a couple guys with exceptional hockey sense.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Some of the comments regarding Hall in the thread are ridiculous.

For one, this Barons team took an absolute turn around with Hall entering the lineup. It took Hall all of 38secs to make a direct impact and score his first goal with the Barons. In otherwords coming in with a flying start after a longterm injury. Don't discount either the impact Hall has on a team being that he comes in with his high flying signature brand of hockey every game. Other players take games off. Try to catch Hall ever taking one off. Hall leads by example on the ice and sets a consistent tone for others to follow.

Second, people questioning Halls talent level at this point is indescribably ridiculous considering the guy is just coming off a serious shoulder injury and probably has to relearn much of his fine motor coordination due to the injury, pin, and reset shoulder. Probably flipping pancakes is a learning curve at this point. Do people even consider this when mouthing off about Hall's talent?

Finally, I've always said this is that HALL is way ahead of the learning curve of where Mark Messier was at similar age. Mark also had the benefit of playing Pro hockey earlier and getting a much longer phase of learning. On a good club that always had other guys to pull the scoring weight. Mark had every advantage of being able to bide his time and learn to establish himself in the pro game and produce.

Hall hit the pro game running and HAD to. There was remarkable pressure for Hall to showcase immediately and be a shining light on a club devoid of any hope. Mark not so much.

At age 19 Hall was looking like an NHL star able to carry a team. At age 18 Mess didn't look to have offensive skill. Think a blazing Dean Mccammond only stronger.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-30-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:40 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Prime Morrow was a near point-per game player playing with exceptional talents like Richards, Morrow, and Modano. Although he wasn't the most talented, he was still integral to the overall productivity of the line. That's what Hall is to me. A 75-point player in his prime, I just feel his prime will be longer than the 2-3 seasons Morrow's was. Making him ultimately a more valuable asset.

I don't think it's unfair to say Seguin is the better player at this point.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:47 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Prime Morrow was a near point-per game player playing with exceptional talents like Richards, Morrow, and Modano. Although he wasn't the most talented, he was still integral to the overall productivity of the line. That's what Hall is to me. A 75-point player in his prime, I just feel his prime will be longer than the 2-3 seasons Morrow's was. Making him ultimately a more valuable asset.

Morrow never reached 75 pts and he only reached over 50 pts 3 times 74, 65 and 56. He has never been close to a PPG player.
Also, it's a weird comparison since the two are nothing alike.
Morrow was a glorified grinder who used his physicality to intimidate the opposition, he was never much of a skilled guy. Hall has more skill in his pinky finger than Morrow has in his entire body.
I would agree that Hall has average hockey sense and in fact, it's probably below average compared to other top tier talents but he will definitely be a bigger point producer than somebody like Morrow due to his superior offensive skillset.

I do think it's very possible that Seguin will be the better overall player going forward but i would take Hall on my team ten times out of ten.
He's the perfect fit for the team that is being built here.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:

I do, because you've always been extrememly biased and it shows. Sequin will always be the 1b, and Hall the 1a. It's obvious to most people.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:52 AM
MessierII

Quote:

Hall last year was on pace for 35 goals and 71 points in his 2nd NHL season. Are you saying he's currently in his prime?

Old
11-30-2012, 10:57 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:

How many Memorial Cup mvp's does Sequin have again?

Someone who can win not one, but two of them surely has some hockey sense.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote