HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2012, 02:06 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
What's free riding? You mean fun skating?

Get whatever fits you the best and feels the most comfortable. I don't really know why this isn't obvious by now...

Old
11-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Rafsol
Rookie User

I have bad experience with skates thats why im asking.
Anyway i decided to buy one of them :
CCM U+ 03
Vapor x:15

Which one would you choose? If they dont fit me i will just return them back.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:43 PM
AIREAYE

I don't think you understand. I can't tell you which one will fit your foot better.

Try them on.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Rafsol
Rookie User

I understand. Just want to know which one can be considered as a better one.

Old
11-22-2012, 04:09 PM
AIREAYE

The better skate is the one that fits your foot better and it doesn't only have to be those two models. Try on others in your price range.

Old
11-23-2012, 12:48 AM
Leafer 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf1 View Post
I am between the CCM U+08 and Bauer Vapor X4.0 skates.

I play about once per week in a mens league/division that is fairly competitive. I have found both skates on sale for the same price, so I am wondering if one is significantly better than the other?

I tried on both, and am a D width in the CCM and an EE in the Bauer.

I could definitely feel pressure points on my ankle bones in the CCMs, although this may be alleviated after baking them and breaking them in a bit.

The Bauers felt more comfortable out of the box and there must be better cushioning in the ankles as I felt no pressure points / irritations in that area at all.

Any thoughts / opinions on which I should go with would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
I tried on both recently when I was looking at skates a few weeks back and know of the pressure points you are referring to with the CCMs. I can tell you that they went away after baking and a few skates with them. The Vectors are a great skate, but it seems like the Vapours would be the better option given that you feel more comfortable with the off the hop.

Old
11-23-2012, 02:02 AM
vapor11

I have my week old vapor x:60s on my feet right now(been wearing them on the couch)...been wanting to upgrade for a while..im smaller 5'10 160lb but consider myself an advanced skater so using a low end boot(vapor x3.0) has been bugging me...3 pickup games in..can notice the stability difference..feel more in balance..have more energy out there as well may be in my head but skating feels a little more effortless

Old
11-23-2012, 03:52 PM
RoninNYR

Update on my Total ones:

about 20 sessions in and I love them, In my x3.0 my right foot was having fittment issues and I had to compensate by tying it too tight which led to a ton of other problems in my stride/skating.

The stiffness of the T1 not only helps me maxamize explosive energy but it also holds my right foot very well and supportive without over tightening.

I'm loving these skates, if you're a good skater and can justify the $$ it's definitely worth the jump to a highend skate.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:08 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Got back on the ice for the first time in like 15-ish years tonight, and had a ton of fun. I think I'd like to make this a regular thing, but one thing that bugged me tonight was how friggin painful the bottom of the boot was against my arches (or lack thereof ) I've done tons of inline skating over the years and overall the boot fell very tight around my ankle, didn't feel any sliding, almost everything felt great. My feet have almost no arch to them though, and before I even stepped on the ice my feet were killing me- I'm wondering if I just don't remember because it had been so long, but your feet should just be snug in the skate, and not actually painful right?

I'm trying to keep in mind that these were just rentals and I'm not expecting them to feel like slippers, but I just don't remember the skate needing to be so right that it hurts

I suspect I just need a wider arch, but if I'm just being a pansy I'd rather know that than go searching for some mythical skate that feels like magic on my feet.

Old
11-24-2012, 06:27 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
Sounds like you need a wider boot like you said, you can try to have it punched if it's not a composite boot.

Old
11-24-2012, 07:20 PM
AIREAYE

So they were rentals? Haha no worries then. Look for the proper fitting skate when you go buy yourself a pair!

Old
11-24-2012, 07:51 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Thanks guys. It felt wrong, buy like I said its been so long I wasn't sure. I remember my skates when I was young hurting somewhat but not like this... Maybe they were wrong back then too. Anyways thanks

Old
11-30-2012, 12:46 AM
3koma

hi i would like to try Easton RS skates, but i really have size problem with them. Here are my previous and their problem and my size for normal shoes is US8.5. 5'7 height, 180lbs
Bauer XXXX size 6.5 EE -- Length too long and you can almost place one more finger in.
CCM u+ pro stock 6.5D -- length is OK, width a bit narrow, but still can accept. most killing my feets are everytime i push for skating, it is hurt my interanl malleolus. when i talk off my boots after game, area near malleolus and arch already get pink or pale red.Painful will carry on couples of day.I give up this skates after 2 try because it is really killing my feet.
Reebok 11K 6.0EE -- Length is just OK, but width is bit narrow, my little tao is hurt around 10 game, but it is OK right after. Reebok boots are bit soft for me because my weigh around 180lbs.
Bauer X60 6.0D -- they are too small for me my big toe can touch the cap and shift to my 2nd toe.
It is not so many brand or size can try in my city (Hong Kong), so most of them i bought online or can advice any brand or size can fit my feets.Thank you very much!

Cheung
(Hong Kong)

Old
11-30-2012, 01:26 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3koma View Post
hi i would like to try Easton RS skates, but i really have size problem with them. Here are my previous and their problem and my size for normal shoes is US8.5. 5'7 height, 180lbs
Bauer XXXX size 6.5 EE -- Length too long and you can almost place one more finger in.
CCM u+ pro stock 6.5D -- length is OK, width a bit narrow, but still can accept. most killing my feets are everytime i push for skating, it is hurt my interanl malleolus. when i talk off my boots after game, area near malleolus and arch already get pink or pale red.Painful will carry on couples of day.I give up this skates after 2 try because it is really killing my feet.
Reebok 11K 6.0EE -- Length is just OK, but width is bit narrow, my little tao is hurt around 10 game, but it is OK right after. Reebok boots are bit soft for me because my weigh around 180lbs.
Bauer X60 6.0D -- they are too small for me my big toe can touch the cap and shift to my 2nd toe.
It is not so many brand or size can try in my city (Hong Kong), so most of them i bought online or can advice any brand or size can fit my feets.Thank you very much!

Cheung
(Hong Kong)
If you ever fly to Taipei, they have skate shop there with a lot of Bauer skates. The prices are very reasonable, and staff pretty knowledgeable.

They should have all available sizes for the Bauer Vapors and Supreme series. They can also heat mold your skates for you there.

I've tried looking around for hockey gear in HK, and the selection there is pretty limited. At most, I think I've been to an inline hockey rink near Prince Edward (I think). They hold little inventory and everything's overpriced by quite a bit.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:37 AM
AIREAYE

Good advice here^. Cheung, see if you can try a Bauer Supreme skate in a size 6 and 6.5. If you found discomfort on your internal mall., the more 'anatomical' shaped padding in the Supremes and Easton skates should help. A 'D' width Supreme skate should feel wider than a 'D' Vapor and same with EE. Definitely heat mould if you can.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Hooah4

Air,
question, my S15's are about on their last legs. Do the new Reebok skates run d/aa all the way through to the 14k's etc?
I 'm going to try to nurse them until the new stealth series has more than the RS to compare. found a great closeout price on the 2010 6k's.
btw I'm 6'1 225 and skate twice a week. Any help is appreciated

Old
11-30-2012, 01:32 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooah4 View Post
Air,
question, my S15's are about on their last legs. Do the new Reebok skates run d/aa all the way through to the 14k's etc?
I 'm going to try to nurse them until the new stealth series has more than the RS to compare. found a great closeout price on the 2010 6k's.
btw I'm 6'1 225 and skate twice a week. Any help is appreciated
Aha I have S15s too, still going after 3 years which is about 3 years longer than most people have had them.

I'm not sure if it's the same heel size all the way through, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. Any way to try them on? As you know, Stealth has a very different ankle/heel shape.

For your size and freq of play, perhaps try and aim for a higher pricepoint?

The Stealth skates under the RS (85S, 75S etc.) will hit stores late spring 2013 I believe, but FWIW, I found the RS fit quite differently than the older Stealth skates. As I wrote in the guide, I find them closer to Supreme than old Stealth.

Old
12-01-2012, 02:59 PM
TieClark

I finally got around to buying new skates. Ended up grabbing a pair of 12K's for 192 with tax included. Probably going to feel extremely weird tomorrow night

Old
12-02-2012, 10:54 PM
3koma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
If you ever fly to Taipei, they have skate shop there with a lot of Bauer skates. The prices are very reasonable, and staff pretty knowledgeable.

They should have all available sizes for the Bauer Vapors and Supreme series. They can also heat mold your skates for you there.

I've tried looking around for hockey gear in HK, and the selection there is pretty limited. At most, I think I've been to an inline hockey rink near Prince Edward (I think). They hold little inventory and everything's overpriced by quite a bit.
sounds great and i will go to Taiwan around xmas, so can you post or pm me address of shop, let see i can make a further arrangment.THX

Old
12-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
So I never heat molded my skates when I purchased them. They felt great from the start. But as of recently, the heel locks have been getting worse. Not uncomfortable (no blisters or anything), and still useable, but it feels as though they're loosening. Would heat molding them at this point help?

Old
12-03-2012, 08:35 AM
AIREAYE

Not really, remember that baking helps with break-in.

Old
12-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Not really, remember that baking helps with break-in.
Yeah, it was more a last chance hope than actually thinking it would help.

Old
12-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Hey folks,

Ordered some EQ50 Skates yesterday for an extremely reasonable price of $230, which is about 145 for me...

Anyone got them? Pros? Cons?

Old
12-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Hooah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Aha I have S15s too, still going after 3 years which is about 3 years longer than most people have had them.

I'm not sure if it's the same heel size all the way through, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. Any way to try them on? As you know, Stealth has a very different ankle/heel shape.

For your size and freq of play, perhaps try and aim for a higher pricepoint?

The Stealth skates under the RS (85S, 75S etc.) will hit stores late spring 2013 I believe, but FWIW, I found the RS fit quite differently than the older Stealth skates. As I wrote in the guide, I find them closer to Supreme than old Stealth.
any experience with the EQ series fit as you have the same foot as me? They're on sale as well, hard to find pairs to try on locally though. I'm a stickler for heel lock and the Reebok leave a little to be desired.

Old
12-04-2012, 08:20 AM
AIREAYE

Only experience I have with the more recent EQ series (EQ50-10) is trying them on a few times in person and fitting them multiple times with my observations noted.

I find the back half of the skate (ankle/heel) similar to Stealth, so if you're looking for that good amount of ankle padding locking in your foot, you should like EQ. The EQs have a bit more forward lean to them paired with a lower and more angled cut boot; all designed with the forward lean in mind I would think. The forefoot is pretty different though, not as wide so that imo would be the biggest difference along with the lean.

Closed Thread