HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eller to play in Europe (signs with Jyväskylä JYP)

Old
11-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Habruti!

vCash: 500
I hope we are not going in the direction of Eller on Pleks wing. I think we will initially see Galchenyuk there. Now I would like if they had some additional weigth there and I think Bourque will be that guy.

Bourque, Plekanek, Gallchenyuk
Pacioretty, Desharnais, Cole
Leblanc, Eller, Gionta
Moen, Prust, Armstrong

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:25 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

If Bourque isn't absolutely useless that's a pretty solid looking lineup.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:48 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

That third line would be shutting *****es down all day er'day

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:18 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
I hope we are not going in the direction of Eller on Pleks wing. I think we will initially see Galchenyuk there. Now I would like if they had some additional weigth there and I think Bourque will be that guy.

Leblanc, Eller, Gionta
Moen, Prust, Armstrong
I like it, but problem is Leblanc and Gionta only play RW, so not really possible to have them both on the same line.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:25 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I like it, but problem is Leblanc and Gionta only play RW, so not really possible to have them both on the same line.
i really don't think Leblanc would have any problems playing LW to be honest

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:34 PM
dcal64

Quote:

Leblanc, Eller, Gionta
Moen, Prust, Armstrong
No way Prust signed in Montreal to play on the 4th line, pretty sure the Habs promised him a lot of ice-time to convince him to play in Montreal. So Prust is on the 3rd line minimum, same thing with Moen, I have never seen Moen play on the 4th line in Montreal.

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:43 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypacman8167 View Post
i really don't think Leblanc would have any problems playing LW to be honest
its not a question of a player willingness, its just really tough to play your offside, specially in the defensive zone. Very few right handed player play LW.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
No way Prust signed in Montreal to play on the 4th line, pretty sure the Habs promised him a lot of ice-time to convince him to play in Montreal. So Prust is on the 3rd line minimum, same thing with Moen, I have never seen Moen play on the 4th line in Montreal.
I'm pretty sure the Habs promised him a lot of money to convince him to play in Montreal.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 12:48 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
ya agm Dudley already mentioned in a that they view Prust as a 3rd line player. But i doubt they plan on them playing together on the 3rd line.

Moen role was always suppose to be a 4th line, but was always pumped up in the line due to injuries. Ex going into last year, we had Cammy, Plek, Cole, Patches, Gomez, Gionta, DD,Eller, AK, ahead of him, all projected to play a top 9 role, Moen only got increased minutes due to injuries.

Edit: did some research on the web, it seems like Habs (MT) plans on using Prust the way Martin used Moen, 3rd liner, and once in a while put him on a top 2 line if it needs a jump, or a player needs a benching (ex Bourque if he plays with Plek and Gionta and needs to sit or play the 4th).

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...155/story.html

Last edited by habs03: 11-29-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old
11-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Noob616

Quote:
its not a question of a player willingness, its just really tough to play your offside, specially in the defensive zone. Very few right handed player play LW.
Ovechkin and Kovulchuk beg to differ.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
It depends on what kind of player you are, if you are a sniper I can see why you'd want the puck closer to the centre of the ice and for slapshots etc

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:20 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
I wrote...

"Very few right handed player play LW"

it is just not common. Look around the league, try naming other guys, only other guys I can think of are Patrick Sharp, who plays LW only because Hossa and Kane play RW. When one of them is out, Sharp goes back to RW. And in the playoffs, Dustin Brown offered to moved to LW because the Kings couldn't find a LWer during the tradeline.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:13 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
I wrote...

it is just not common. Look around the league, try naming other guys, only other guys I can think of are Patrick Sharp, who plays LW only because Hossa and Kane play RW. When one of them is out, Sharp goes back to RW. And in the playoffs, Dustin Brown offered to moved to LW because the Kings couldn't find a LWer during the tradeline.
I think the only other high profile one I can think of is Bobby Ryan. He typically plays LW, and is a righty.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Noob616

Quote:
I wrote...

I guess you're right, apologies for getting snarky.

I would like to see Leblanc try though, I guess we'd never know unless he got a shot.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Justinov

JYP victory 4-2 tonight. Two assists by Lars Eller and 22 min. playing time, even with 2*2 min penalties.
Now 4g 6A in 6 games.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

That will be good for his developement!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:07 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
JYP victory 4-2 tonight. Two assists by Lars Eller and 22 min. playing time, even with 2*2 min penalties.
Now 4g 6A in 6 games.
Must feel weird passing to people who can actually cash in.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:09 PM
heksagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Now 4g 6A in 6 games.
I have really liked how well Eller has played for my favourite team so far. 10 points in 6 games is just sick, for comparison Derek Stepan has only 3 points in 8 games in Sm-Liiga so far. And Rich Peverley struggled before Eller came, now they are both on fire.

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:

Leblanc, Eller, Gionta
Moen, Prust, Armstrong
Looks pretty good, but I don't think Gally would get started on Plekanec's wing because of the defensive assignments he usually gets. I can see the above with a slight adjustment:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Gally-Eller-Leblanc
Moen-Prust-Armstrong

This also resolves the 2xRW issue. Personally, I'd switch Bourque and Pacioretty, but since Therrien said the top line will be intact, I'd try this.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
I wrote...

Vanek, Lupul, Purcell, Perron, Ryan, Vrbata off the top of my head for top-6 forwards.

Leblanc also played some LW at the WJCs. Versatility exists.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:16 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Vanek, Lupul, Purcell, Perron, Ryan, Vrbata off the top of my head for top-6 forwards.

Leblanc also played some LW at the WJCs. Versatility exists.
Still very few,

Also most of those guys are top forwards.

And were there due to teams not having a choice, ex Ryan because Perry and Selanne played RW, heck one of the reason why Lupul was trade was because Randy Carlye didn't want to move him to LW, and took Wilson who was desperate need someone to play with Kessel to try him there and it worked.

Same thing for Perron, the Blues were loaded on RW and moved him to LW.

Vrbata I'm not sure, but I believe he played RW, with Whitney playing LW, but I know one of them had to play RW and the other LW, because Doan was the other top 6 RW.

Teams try to have a right handed player playing RW and RD, because makes it soo much easier defensively on them, but since there are more lefties than guys that are right handed, you see a lot of guys like ex Cole (LHS) that play RW, Gorges (LHS), that is able to play RD (moved to LD when paired with Subban).

Old
11-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
I have really liked how well Eller has played for my favourite team so far. 10 points in 6 games is just sick, for comparison Derek Stepan has only 3 points in 8 games in Sm-Liiga so far. And Rich Peverley struggled before Eller came, now they are both on fire.
Thanks to the report, so much for Eller not being able to make others better around him.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Still very few,

Also most of those guys are top forwards.

And were there due to teams not having a choice, ex Ryan because Perry and Selanne played RW, heck one of the reason why Lupul was trade was because Randy Carlye didn't want to move him to LW, and took Wilson who was desperate need someone to play with Kessel to try him there and it worked.

Same thing for Perron, the Blues were loaded on RW and moved him to LW.

Vrbata I'm not sure, but I believe he played RW, with Whitney playing LW, but I know one of them had to play RW and the other LW, because Doan was the other top 6 RW.

Teams try to have a right handed player playing RW and RD, because makes it soo much easier defensively on them, but since there are more lefties than guys that are right handed, you see a lot of guys like ex Cole (LHS) that play RW, Gorges (LHS), that is able to play RD (moved to LD when paired with Subban).
There doesn't need to be a systematic approach for everything. Players play where they help the team the most (which you also seem to agree with). That's it. Players who can play a variety of positions are valuable for that reason.

Then there are players who can ONLY lay their off wing, like Cole. He didn't get moved to RW because there were too many LH players on his teams. He's tried and failed on the LW (in Edmonton). The RW allows him to drive wide with one hand on the stick, which is pretty much his only effective method of gaining the offensive zone. Don't just assume that every player is better on their natural side. It's different from case to case.

The people who are saying Leblanc can play LW are saying so because he HAS played on the LW before, and succeeded (or had a very minimal drop off in comparison to his time at C). Who cares what the majority of players do? How does that have any relevance in this context?

EDIT: This is getting too OT in a Lars Eller thread. I'm stopping here.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:08 PM
ChoseLa

Yeah i'd keep Eller on center duty, not sure he can be that better on the wing than Bourque is. Also Big center are so hard to come by than we should keep using him at that position for some more time before moving him on the wing: to see if he can take it to another level.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Justinov

2-1 loss for Eller and JYP, but still one assist for him to a Peverley-goal and 20 min playing time. He is also getting physical - another 2 min in the penalty box.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote