HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sj - edm

Old
11-29-2012, 08:35 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
Boyle a good dman but EDM needs a player that has more size and is better as a two way player. SJ will let Boyle, Marleau, and Thorton all retire and they will have to do an EDM rebuild.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
When I stated that the sharks were similar to Calgary, I was referring to the fact that a lot of their key players are getting older. Maybe with the rite addition or two, they could finally get over the hump and win the cup. I'm skeptical and would have to think there are a few sharks fans out there that think the same way.
They may be getting older but it doesn't mean they're getting worse or that they're going to turn mediocre sometime soon. The Sharks are a lot more prepared for a future beyond Boyle, Thornton, and Marleau than people give them credit for. Their blue line will feature Burns, Vlasic, Demers, and Braun for many years to come. Pavelski is in his prime. Couture hasn't even entered his yet. Those are two pieces to build around. Their bottom six has youth on it currently and plenty of prospects that can grow into that role in time and if they need a stopgap, the Sharks have not had an issue signing players for the bottom six.

They're thin in the top six when it comes to their future. The only one with accepted potential to get into that area is their first round pick of Tomas Hertl. Luckily for the team, they won't need him to develop into that for at least three years. Marleau and Thornton are not going to fall off a cliff in ability because they age.

All those things point to a huge difference between the Sharks and the Flames. They both may have had a couple players in their mid-30's in key spots and crappy prospect pools but the Sharks have a lot more youth in their lineup now in critical positions than the Flames did.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:55 PM
glenbuis

Just doesn't seem like yous are any closer to the cup now then you were 2-3 yrs ago and other teams in the west seem to be. Cashing in those three vets I think could put yous back in the upper echelon in 2-3yrs.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:57 AM
zeus3007*

First off, Boyle would be a great fit in Edmonton, I don't know how anyone can think otherwise. Second, San Jose is a cup contender, they aren't trading their top players at all right now, so Boyle isn't going anywhere, especially to a team that would need to make a package trade to get him.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:01 PM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
First off, Boyle would be a great fit in Edmonton, I don't know how anyone can think otherwise. Second, San Jose is a cup contender, they aren't trading their top players at all right now, so Boyle isn't going anywhere, especially to a team that would need to make a package trade to get him.
San Jose is a Cup contender? Been hearing that for 7+ years now.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
San Jose is a Cup contender? Been hearing that for 7+ years now.
And it's been accurate for 7+ years. If you actually question that then you don't understand the meaning of the word contender.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:18 PM
glenbuis

I think at one point they were considered to be the top contender in the west. Since then LA,Van,and St.l, seems to have gone by them and now sj belong in a group with det,chi,min,phoe and nash.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I think at one point they were considered to be the top contender in the west. Since then LA,Van,and St.l, seems to have gone by them and now sj belong in a group with det,chi,min,phoe and nash.
I don't buy into the thought process that one season determines who is or has been better contenders over a period of time. Both the Blues and the Kings had this past season where they were better than the Sharks and that's it. It could be that way going forward or the Blues could regress and the Kings may prove out to be a fluke. Only time will tell. But the issue wasn't whether they're top contenders. It's whether they're contenders and they are and have been for years.

Old
11-30-2012, 06:01 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

I gotta agree with zeus3007 here, Boyle would be an excellent addition to the Oilers. That said, I'm not sure the Oil could put a package together to obtain Boyle that would be both palatable to the Oilers and the Sharks. A package of Paajarvi and Tuebert doesn't even begin discussions.

Anywho... my $0.02.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Arz1

Quote:
So you are ready to write off SJ, DET, CHI from being top contenders after one season, but at the same time you are ready to put STL amongst them after one somewhat succesful season? Makes sense.

Last edited by Arz1: 11-30-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: sp
Arz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:26 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
The value isn't bad, but the fit isn't there for either side

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:11 PM
franfrey*

Lol the Sharks get shafted.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:48 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Adding on to what others have said against this post, the Sharks are only 1 season removed from 2 consecutive WCF appearances.

Sharks had one bad season so they aren't cup contenders. St. Louis had one great season, and LA had one great PO run (lousy RS), but they are now the top contenders? Makes sense.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:00 PM
glenbuis

Don't get your selves all worked up. It just seems to me that your window of oppurtunity is closing. I thought yous could do a mini shuffle and be much stronger in 2-3 yrs. Apparently you cant move them anyway so its a mute discussion. I believe one of yous said your problem was that if yous had a weakness it was your prospect pool was week. If thats really the case, in 2-3 yrs time when boyle, thornton and marleau do slow down youll be up a creek without a paddle.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:33 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Don't get your selves all worked up. It just seems to me that your window of oppurtunity is closing. I thought yous could do a mini shuffle and be much stronger in 2-3 yrs. Apparently you cant move them anyway so its a mute discussion. I believe one of yous said your problem was that if yous had a weakness it was your prospect pool was week. If thats really the case, in 2-3 yrs time when boyle, thornton and marleau do slow down youll be up a creek without a paddle.
Saying your points are wrong doesn't mean we're getting worked up. It's your opinion that the Sharks are no longer contenders, but you really haven't supported that opinion at all.

The Sharks' prospect pool isn't nearly as bad as the media and people on HF make it out to be. A lot of their prospects are looking to be solid 3rd liners. As for the Top-6, Thornton and Marleau will still be Top-6 quality players in 2-3 years time. Pavelski will be in his early 30s, Couture won't even be in his prime yet. Then add in the fact that Hertl and Nieto could potentially fill in for those roles as well (not to mention the potential new players the Sharks could draft/sign by that time). Certainly it's not great, but it'll do. On defense, their top-4 is more than set with Vlasic, Burns, Braun, and Demers.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Did you miss the part where it was said that they have a pretty youthful roster as it is right now or did you conveniently ignore that because it doesn't agree with your point of view on it? Just because the prospect pool is weak doesn't mean they aren't somewhat prepared for losing certain guys.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:38 AM
glenbuis

Ill agree with yous on one thing. The hawks picking up a goalie and a support player or two and they will more than belong in that top three group.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:01 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Ill agree with yous on one thing. The hawks picking up a goalie and a support player or two and they will more than belong in that top three group.
You could say that for pretty much every team who made the playoffs last year.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:19 AM
glenbuis

Not really , Detroit and Nashville will need more. Van, la and stl will be back without doing anything.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:47 AM
Paralyzer008

As an Oiler fan, I love Teubert and Paajarvi so it would be hard to move them...

then again, it's Dan Boyle. Oilers win the deal based on that fact that we get a top pairing D. This would be a tough one I think though because of Boyle's age.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Not really , Detroit and Nashville will need more. Van, la and stl will be back without doing anything.
Vancouver has a couple Sedins that are only a year younger than Thornton and Marleau, who are supposedly in trouble. LA was two losses to Calgary away from missing the playoffs entirely. St. Louis took people by surprise and will have to repeat their performance with everyone taking them a little more seriously. They're all good teams and contenders but everyone will have their questions.