HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

team with the best D prospect.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Homer pick: Wild is top-5.

Brodin and Dumba are bluechip prospects. Scandella and Spurgeon are great developing young NHL Dmen. Maybe top-heavy, but Kampfer, Seeler, Draeger, and Gunnarson have good potential.
Sorry but pittsburgh, columbus, the islanders, the oilers and the leafs are the top 5

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:10 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilin Toronto View Post
Sorry guys...but big time homer vote for Edmonton.

They have 3 high end prospects that's looking more and more like 1/2nd pairing D (Schultz, Klef and Marincin), and several others (Gernat, Musil and Davidson) to name a few that are expected to play top 6 roles.
Your bar must be set pretty low if you consider Marincin a "high end" prospect. He's a good prospect, but high end? Homer vote was right...

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:27 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Wait, so somehow the Pens prospects, who haven't made the NHL have somehow proven more than Leaf and Isles prospects?
Yes.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:30 PM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
Pittsburgh. For high end guys you have to like gardiner-rielly in Toronto or klefbom-Schultz in Edm. Montreal also has some nice pieces although none as flashy.
If Gardiner is a prospect, then Los Angeles with Doughty and St. Louis with Pietrangelo and Karlsson and etc.

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Force951

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
With one of the aforementioned two I'd say yes, but with only Lindholm and Vatanen I personally wouldn't take them until maybe ~15-ish on the depth charts. Defensive pools require depth to be the very best in my opinion.
Clark, Welinski, Lind, and Manson. They don't have quite the upside of those 2, but are solid depth guys.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force951 View Post
Clark, Welinski, Lind, and Manson. They don't have quite the upside of those 2, but are solid depth guys.
You should not be writing off Welinski just yet. He has basically done everything that Schultz did up until this point.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Wait, so somehow the Pens prospects, who haven't made the NHL have somehow proven more than Leaf and Isles prospects?
I think it's fair to say that on the whole, the Pens' defense prospects have a higher pedigree and more professional experience.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:50 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

idk how the leafs aren't top 5, if not top 3
rielly
finn
percy
blacker
holzer
gardiner

looks pretty damn good to me. (even if holzer and gards aren't considered prospects)

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:50 PM
candyman82

1. Pittsburgh Penguins
2. Columbus Blue Jackets
3. New York Islanders
4. Phoenix Coyotes
5. Buffalo Sabres/Toronto Maple Leafs tied

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
rielly
finn
percy
blacker
holzer
gardiner

looks pretty damn good to me. (even if holzer and gards aren't considered prospects)
I'd say they're top 5, for sure.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:01 PM
smitty10

Pittsburgh has a great D group of prospects. They'll be scary to play against in years to come.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:02 PM
smitty10

Quote:
rielly
finn
percy
blacker
holzer
gardiner

Holzer is a prospect, Gardiner isn't. Gardiner is still young though and will be VERY good for years to come.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I think it's fair to say that on the whole, the Pens' defense prospects have a higher pedigree and more professional experience.
I don't really see how. Who are the really proven minor professional prospects who are so proven in the Pens system? Joe Morrow, Brian Dumoulin and Simon Despres? Despres has a half year in the minors and this season and the other two have less than 40 games combined of AHL experience. Jake Gardiner is probably going to be punished for making the NHL, but they don't come very close to what Gardiner has done. Blacker is not doing much, Holzer is basically penciled in as a graduate. I don't think the Pens prospects are far ahead.

In juniors the best prospect of the pool belongs to Toronto, with Rielly > Pouliot, and I'm not sure Maatta is necessarily that far ahead of Finn and Percy. Harrington has had a decorated junior career but I don't know if he has a ton of upside, as others have said.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Haatley

vCash: 681
^^i take morrow and despres over rielly at this point

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
^^i take morrow and despres over rielly at this point

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:31 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
In juniors the best prospect of the pool belongs to Toronto, with Rielly > Pouliot, and I'm not sure Maatta is necessarily that far ahead of Finn and Percy. Harrington has had a decorated junior career but I don't know if he has a ton of upside, as others have said.
Leafs have good D prospects in junior that's for sure. It also means they're behind teams like the Pens in terms of development who have a number of prospects recently graduated to the pro level, but still have Maata, Pouliot and Harrington in juniors.

And if I may say so, I think your judgement is clouded when you try to somehow 'diminish' Harrington as a prospect because of a lack of upside.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Smallz

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
If Gardiner is a prospect, then Los Angeles with Doughty and St. Louis with Pietrangelo and Karlsson and etc.
Not even a little bit

These threads are stupid anyway - who cares if your team has the best prospect D-core, if none of them make the NHL or reach their potential it means nothing

A better title for these threads would be "which team will have the best d-core in 3-5 years"

That way all defenseman 25 and under are considered

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 06:59 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
rielly
finn
percy
blacker
holzer
gardiner

Is it just me or are the Leafs being overrated here? Gardiner doesn't count, get that through your heads! That's even worse than RNH being included in prospect lists!

Rielly (8.5 C) = Schultz (8.0 C)
Finn (7.0 C) << Klefbom (8.0 C)
Percy (7.0 C) <= Marincin (7.5 C)
Blacker (7.5 C) > Gernat (7.5 D)
Holzer (6.0 B) < Musil (7.5 C)

Not to mention the depth guys that are in Edmonton's favour... Simpson, Bigos, Davidson, Teubert, Laleggia, Fedun, etc.
I just don't understand how the Leafs can figure in everyone's top 5 lists, but not the Oilers.

franfrey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:07 PM
judge301

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Homer pick: Wild is top-5.

Brodin and Dumba are bluechip prospects. Scandella and Spurgeon are great developing young NHL Dmen. Maybe top-heavy, but Kampfer, Seeler, Draeger, and Gunnarson have good potential.
There is no denying the talent of both these players. However both are undersized as NHL defensemen. I can give you a list of ten players that were undersized and failed for every one you can give me whom was successful. At the end of the day the odds are statistically against them. Please don't confuse this with me saying they are both fantastic players. I think Dumba will follow a similar path and be a poor man's Tootoo and Ryan Ellis combo personally. He'll excel at nothing in the NHL as he's kinda a tweener. Brodin will be a 2, 3, 4 Dman. Just my $.02.

Last edited by judge301: 11-30-2012 at 08:23 PM.
judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Your bar must be set pretty low if you consider Marincin a "high end" prospect. He's a good prospect, but high end? Homer vote was right...
Outside of G. Reinhart, Marincin is better than any D the Islanders have in their system. Talk about setting the bar low. You think the guys below is a group that's top 5 worthy. Get real dude!

1. Griffin Reinhart CHL 8.0 C
2. Matt Donovan Pro 7.0 B
3. Ville Pokka Europe 7.0 C
4. Scott Mayfield NCAA 7.0 C
5. Calvin de Haan Pro 7.0 C
6. Brenden Kichton CHL 7.0 D
7. Aaron Ness Pro 7.0 D
8. Andrey Pedan CHL 7.0 D
9. Adam Pelech CHL 7.0 D

Oilin Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 12:30 AM
heksagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
There is no denying the talent of both these players. However both are undersized as NHL defensemen. I can give you a list of ten players that were undersized and failed for every one you can give me whom was successful. At the end of the day the odds are statistically against them. Please don't confuse this with me saying they are both fantastic players. I think Dumba will follow a similar path and be a poor man's Tootoo and Ryan Ellis combo personally. He'll excel at nothing in the NHL as he's kinda a tweener. Brodin will be a 2, 3, 4 Dman. Just my $.02.
Dumba is 6'0 and Brodin 6'1, they are not really that small at all. Not every defenseman needs to be Chara-size.

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
I don't really see how. Who are the really proven minor professional prospects who are so proven in the Pens system? Joe Morrow, Brian Dumoulin and Simon Despres? Despres has a half year in the minors and this season and the other two have less than 40 games combined of AHL experience. Jake Gardiner is probably going to be punished for making the NHL, but they don't come very close to what Gardiner has done. Blacker is not doing much, Holzer is basically penciled in as a graduate. I don't think the Pens prospects are far ahead.
He's not going to be "punished" for making the NHL, he made the NHL. That's great for Toronto. But he's simply not a prospect anymore.

Holzer and Blacker don't come close to stacking up to Samuelsson, Bortuzzo, Strait, Despres, Morrow, and Dumoulin. The Pens have an unparalleled combination of potential, quality, and depth in minor pro.

Quote:
I think the junior ranks are pretty evenly matched between the two teams, to be honest. I have no doubts about Harrington's upside - he projects to be a rock-solid shutdown defenseman in the NHL the same as he's been at every other level.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 12-01-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old
12-01-2012, 01:06 AM
judge301

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
Dumba is 6'0 and Brodin 6'1, they are not really that small at all. Not every defenseman needs to be Chara-size.
Did I say all dmen had to be as big as the biggest player in the league? Don't think so bud. I think I simply said they were undersized compared to the average really.... I believe I was saying they would have to overcome that to become truely elite dmen and as such that needs to be considered when comparing the top elite defense prospects of the league. IMHO the lack of size puts the Minny duo at a disadvantage compared to other duos that are 2 or 3 inches taller and 20 -30 pounds heavier.

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
And if I may say so, I think your judgement is clouded when you try to somehow 'diminish' Harrington as a prospect because of a lack of upside.
Well weirdly enough I was wondering what makes Harrington such a team Canada mainstay and I started this thread and the fanfare for Harrington was kind of lackluster with very little separation between he and Finn and Percy, sometimes ranking below them both.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=54862741

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Well weirdly enough I was wondering what makes Harrington such a team Canada mainstay and I started this thread and the fanfare for Harrington was kind of lackluster with very little separation between he and Finn and Percy, sometimes ranking below them both.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=54862741
Is that thread supposed to serve as an argument to authority?

Harrington's upside is an elite shutdown defenseman. Do not mistake a lack of offense for a lack of upside - he has all the tools he needs to succeed in the NHL the same role he's thrived in for junior and international tournaments.