HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VII: The Last Waltz "Cut the sheet & drop the puck!"

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 11:10 AM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
PA should send each team's enforcer to the meeting. Some of these owners need to have some sense knocked into them.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:11 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Of course, every player in NHL has been invited/encouraged by PA to attend "negotiating" sessions. League has allowed 4 owners to attend.

"Union must first agree to concept" as per @DarrenDreger. Where have we heard that before? PA should ask for owners of NYR, Mont, LA, Philly
Ok so the NHL offer is shallow. PA approval of meeting before they know the owners? The league is clearly looking for Nos from the players.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
PA should send each team's enforcer to the meeting. Some of these owners need to have some sense knocked into them.
I like this idea. Just send Rupp in there. I'm sure Jacobs could hold his own.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Ok so the NHL offer is shallow. PA approval of meeting before they know the owners? The league is clearly looking for Nos from the players.
It's also oddly a tacit admission that the owners aren't all on the same page.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:24 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Where's Krzysztof Oliwa when you need him?

11-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
The Bruins could send Chara instead of their enforcer. He's scary looking enough without having to actually employ violence.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:38 PM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I've been to the NHL store a couple of times during the lockout and I can't believe people are buying stuff. I assume most of the people are tourists but without even getting into the fact that you're giving them money while they're in a lockout, what's the point in buying it now? Why not wait until whenever they come back? Last thing I'm doing is buying NHL stuff to wear during the lockout. It's just stupid.
The point is supporting the owners in their fight against the unreasonable demands of the players.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Wow at this league. Only lets 4 owners attend? Isn't Buttman supposed to represent all 30 owners? Oh wait, his ego is too big. So he'll just send Jacobs and Co. To do his dirty work for him. Jeremy Jacobs might as well be Bettman's equally evil twin.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Wow at this league. Only lets 4 owners attend? Isn't Buttman supposed to represent all 30 owners? Oh wait, his ego is too big. So he'll just send Jacobs and Co. To do his dirty work for him. Jeremy Jacobs might as well be Bettman's equally evil twin.
Jacobs, for better or for worse, is the Chairman of the Board of Governors.

I guess the PA should have all 750 players at every meeting?

Old
11-30-2012, 01:41 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

Are the players really afraid to meet Jacobs?

Anyway, the good news is that the players and owners are only 1% apart so says Malkin.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-again-664255/

"This 1 percent [difference] is millions of dollars," Malkin said in the interview. "But what surprises me is that hockey isn't the main business for club owners. They are all billionaires and argue with us -- those who make living only through sports".

Sounds like Malkin is calling for income redistribution?

Old
11-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post

Anyway, the good news is that the players and owners are only 1% apart so says Malkin.

"This 1 percent [difference] is millions of dollars," Malkin said in the interview. "But what surprises me is that hockey isn't the main business for club owners. They are all billionaires and argue with us -- those who make living only through sports".

He's a Commie!

Old
11-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
When Millionares complain about the finances of Billionares you know you have an entertaining situation going on.

How about some of that internet money?

Old
11-30-2012, 01:50 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
When Millionares complain about the finances of Billionares you know you have an entertaining situation going on.

If anyone wrote a book on the status of the hockey situation it would be placed in the fiction section of the library.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post

Old
11-30-2012, 02:08 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:

without getting personal about any specific individual...when its the same group of guys in the meetings day after day after day with nothing ever getting accomplished, its not unreasonable to think maybe trying someone different might be helpful to provide a different point of view to try to work out a compromise instead of just staring at the same guys that you know you don't agree with.

doesn't matter what jacobs' role is among the BOG, and doesn't matter that he (fairly or unfairly) has been painted as the most evil owner, but if he's not able or willing to work out a deal than let someone else try.

same goes for the players side too. i'm sure the nhlpa has people other than the fehr brothers that they could send to try someone new

Old
11-30-2012, 02:11 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Malkin has a point. Most owners have something else, but they still need to gain when operating this business or it makes no sense to stay in that business. If the owner gave up a little more, it hurts them less than players giving a little more. Both sides can profit but they need to receed to gain. The old taking a step back to moce forward. Both sides are too shortsighted to see past the step back.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:13 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post

its not about being afraid of jacobs. its about knowing that he's been in all the meetings and is BFFs with gary. if you talk to jeremy jacobs or bill daly you might as well just keep talking to gary cause you'll get the same responses and its a waste of time...

and the size of the difference doesn't matter...its not even about the $$ at this point cause both sides are losing more than they are fighting over. its about personal egos at this point.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Malkin has a point. Most owners have something else, but they still need to gain when operating this business or it makes no sense to stay in that business. If the owner gave up a little more, it hurts them less than players giving a little more.
True. It's also the very same reason the owners can afford to wait it out for their deal.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
without getting personal about any specific individual...when its the same group of guys in the meetings day after day after day with nothing ever getting accomplished, its not unreasonable to think maybe trying someone different might be helpful to provide a different point of view to try to work out a compromise instead of just staring at the same guys that you know you don't agree with.

doesn't matter what jacobs' role is among the BOG, and doesn't matter that he (fairly or unfairly) has been painted as the most evil owner, but if he's not able or willing to work out a deal than let someone else try.

same goes for the players side too. i'm sure the nhlpa has people other than the fehr brothers that they could send to try someone new
So, get Bettman, Jacobs, and Fehr out of the room and let them talk about a deal that will ultimately need to be approved by Bettman, Jacobs, and Fehr?

Im all for a new approach, but I thought that was mediator approach, which they threw out the window after 2 days. Getting a new group of players/owners in there seems like a nice idea on the surface - until you realize these will likely be people that are less educated on the core issues and have no real sway to begin with.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont think the players need Fehr to approve anything. He works for them, not the other way around.

Bettman has more power over the owners i think.

Old
11-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:

Umm...didn't the PA invite every player? Dolan doesn't have to be there if he doesn't want to, but he should at least have the ability and right to do so.

Old
11-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Umm...didn't the PA invite every player? Dolan doesn't have to be there if he doesn't want to, but he should at least have the ability and right to do so.
I doubt it.

And even if they did, there hasnt been more than 10 or so at any meeting.

Not a very good RSVP rate. :-(

Old
11-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
i dont think the players need Fehr to approve anything. He works for them, not the other way around.

Bettman has more power over the owners i think.
If the PA goes over Fehr's head, it would likely mean they got rolled once again. And it would defeat the entire purpose of why they got Fehr in the fold to begin with.

Old
11-30-2012, 03:46 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
So, get Bettman, Jacobs, and Fehr out of the room and let them talk about a deal that will ultimately need to be approved by Bettman, Jacobs, and Fehr?

Im all for a new approach, but I thought that was mediator approach, which they threw out the window after 2 days. Getting a new group of players/owners in there seems like a nice idea on the surface - until you realize these will likely be people that are less educated on the core issues and have no real sway to begin with.
valid point. if those guys just kill the deal anyway then its a waste of time...but it might prove that those guys are the problem.

i personally don't think anything positive would come from the meeting...but nothing positive has come from the other meetings so it can't hurt. worse case we end up where we are anyway.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Just file the disclaimer.

Quote:
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
The NHLPA does have a conference call today with its Negotiating Committee and its Executive Committee, to discuss future options.

Closed Thread