HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer anxious for chance at redemption

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2012, 09:12 PM
  #1
Hero
Raptors 13/14
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,533
vCash: 50
Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer anxious for chance at redemption

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/11/2...-at-redemption

Nice read.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:16 PM
  #2
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
I hope he gets it, the guys a class act! However it's still hard to predict how he'll turn out, Will he be an above average starters (ala Luongo)? Will be a so/so starter (ala Anderson)? Will he be just some oridnary backup (ala Biron)? The thing is he's put up great, good and ugly numbers all in a short span, he had that solid final stretch run in 10/11, he played so/so at the beginning of 11/12, and when he came back from injury he was stinkworthy.

I really believe when the season starts (this one or next one) will be a true teller as to which way Riemer will go.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:24 PM
  #3
FlareKnight
Registered User
 
FlareKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,684
vCash: 50
Absolutely a great guy that you hope the best for. Not sure how good he'll be in the end, but can't say anything bad about the person.

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 09:28 PM
  #4
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,474
vCash: 500
Reimer can take the first plane out of town for all I care.

He's the first name on my list for any trade involving even a goaltending prospect.

Nice kid and all but see ya. Have a nice life.

Grrrr.... lmao


Seriously, I'm not sold on him, but he is too nice to hate. Damn you Reimer you lovable *******. Still would trade him in a heartbeat for any decent prospect or vet who we can milk for 2-3 years.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:07 AM
  #5
frankthetank91
Registered User
 
frankthetank91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Reimer can take the first plane out of town for all I care.

He's the first name on my list for any trade involving even a goaltending prospect.

Nice kid and all but see ya. Have a nice life.

Grrrr.... lmao


Seriously, I'm not sold on him, but he is too nice to hate. Damn you Reimer you lovable *******. Still would trade him in a heartbeat for any decent prospect or vet who we can milk for 2-3 years.
Better then Scrivens. Reimer can be a starter, would be a great back up though. It just bothers me when so many fans are content to pencil in Scrivens as our back up.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:14 AM
  #6
Dangles McGavin
#Snip Bar South
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 6,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Better then Scrivens. Reimer can be a starter, would be a great back up though. It just bothers me when so many fans are content to pencil in Scrivens as our back up.
Not sure everyone will be penciling him in anymore, given his less-than-stellar start to the season.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:01 AM
  #7
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Better then Scrivens. Reimer can be a starter, would be a great back up though. It just bothers me when so many fans are content to pencil in Scrivens as our back up.
Personally, I'd love to see Owuya or even Rynnas over Scrivens as backup. I was really not impressed with what I've seen of Scrivens of date. I'd even take either of them over Reimer as a starter at this point, if we can't find an experienced goalie before the season starts.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:37 AM
  #8
The Kessel Run
Registered User
 
The Kessel Run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Personally, I'd love to see Owuya or even Rynnas over Scrivens as backup. I was really not impressed with what I've seen of Scrivens of date. I'd even take either of them over Reimer as a starter at this point, if we can't find an experienced goalie before the season starts.
Owuya or Rynnas would get absolutely shredded at the NHL level right now.

The Kessel Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 07:04 AM
  #9
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kessel Run View Post
Owuya or Rynnas would get absolutely shredded at the NHL level right now.
So do Reimer and Scrivens. Even considering Scrivens' opponents were weaker teams for the most part, he was just awful in net.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:06 AM
  #10
Randy8706
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
So do Reimer and Scrivens. Even considering Scrivens' opponents were weaker teams for the most part, he was just awful in net.
Well, considering his sv percentage was wat? .905 and his GAA was damn near 3 even, I'd say your claim is baseless at best, if not idiotic. I know numbers aren't everything but in Scrivens limited viewing last year at the NHL level he was just as good as Reimer and the Monster. He played decent hockey on a team known for bad team defense..
Far from horrible.... And by the way I don't know what you are talking about when you say "weaker teams"... This is the NHL we r talkin about here. Any team can beat any team on ANY given night.

Randy8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:14 AM
  #11
paulster2626
Shape up or ship out
 
paulster2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy8706 View Post
Any team can beat any team on ANY given night.
Unless you are the Maple Leafs in late winter 2012.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 08:22 AM
  #12
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy8706 View Post
Well, considering his sv percentage was wat? .905 and his GAA was damn near 3 even, I'd say your claim is baseless at best, if not idiotic. I know numbers aren't everything but in Scrivens limited viewing last year at the NHL level he was just as good as Reimer and the Monster. He played decent hockey on a team known for bad team defense..
Far from horrible.... And by the way I don't know what you are talking about when you say "weaker teams"... This is the NHL we r talkin about here. Any team can beat any team on ANY given night.
There's a reason contenders are called contenders, and the majority of the teams Scrivens has faced are not included on that list. But, yes, he did have a 38 save game against the Blue Jackets. I'm so glad we had Scrivens in net for that game, I don't think any other goalie could have pulled that off against such a potent offensive team.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 09:14 AM
  #13
81Leafs50
Registered User
 
81Leafs50's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Better then Scrivens. Reimer can be a starter, would be a great back up though. It just bothers me when so many fans are content to pencil in Scrivens as our back up.
Scrivens has done things in the AHL that Reimer never has. I see Scrivens as a better technical goalie.

But at the end of the day I don't know who will be better when its all said and done.

81Leafs50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:04 AM
  #14
Sundinisagod
Ehlers or Ritchie...
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,120
vCash: 500
If ever there was a player you wanted to succeed on a personal level, it's got to be Reims...even if you don't know him on such a level. I think he has a good head on his shoulders, I'm expecting a rebound in all honesty.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:14 AM
  #15
Volcanologist
Habitual User
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 19,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy8706 View Post
Well, considering his sv percentage was wat? .905 and his GAA was damn near 3 even, I'd say your claim is baseless at best, if not idiotic. I know numbers aren't everything but in Scrivens limited viewing last year at the NHL level he was just as good as Reimer and the Monster. He played decent hockey on a team known for bad team defense..
Far from horrible.... And by the way I don't know what you are talking about when you say "weaker teams"... This is the NHL we r talkin about here. Any team can beat any team on ANY given night.
.905 sucks, FYI.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:15 AM
  #16
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
If ever there was a player you wanted to succeed on a personal level, it's got to be Reims...even if you don't know him on such a level. I think he has a good head on his shoulders, I'm expecting a rebound in all honesty.
In my mind, it is vital he plays this year. If the whole season is cancelled, I have very little hope (if any) for a rebound during the 13-14 season.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:25 AM
  #17
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
In my mind, it is vital he plays this year. If the whole season is cancelled, I have very little hope (if any) for a rebound during the 13-14 season.
It would have been very important for the whole team to play, as even a shortened season could have helped them adapt the different systems Carlyle has in mind. In that sense, the kids on the Marlies will probably be a step ahead of the game whenever the training camp opens up.

Reimer, assuming he's still the starter when the NHL resumes, should be the biggest beneficiary of Carlyle's system, regardless if he plays this season or not.

Disclaimer: This post is speculation of future events, which cannot be proven or disproven, and as such, will make no attempt to do so.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:14 PM
  #18
Suntouchable13
Registered User
 
Suntouchable13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
It would have been very important for the whole team to play, as even a shortened season could have helped them adapt the different systems Carlyle has in mind. In that sense, the kids on the Marlies will probably be a step ahead of the game whenever the training camp opens up.

Reimer, assuming he's still the starter when the NHL resumes, should be the biggest beneficiary of Carlyle's system, regardless if he plays this season or not.

Disclaimer: This post is speculation of future events, which cannot be proven or disproven, and as such, will make no attempt to do so.
How good do you expect him to be if in October 2013 he plays his first game in goal in more than a year and a half? He missed lots of time in the last season. If he had a full year last season, then I would not worry as much about that.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:18 PM
  #19
Dangles McGavin
#Snip Bar South
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 6,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Personally, I'd love to see Owuya or even Rynnas over Scrivens as backup. I was really not impressed with what I've seen of Scrivens of date. I'd even take either of them over Reimer as a starter at this point, if we can't find an experienced goalie before the season starts.
No.

Rynnas and Owuya are not very good, at all. Nowhere near NHL-ready, nor do I think either of them will ever be NHL goalies.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:21 PM
  #20
Antropovsky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
If ever there was a player you wanted to succeed on a personal level, it's got to be Reims...even if you don't know him on such a level. I think he has a good head on his shoulders, I'm expecting a rebound in all honesty.
Definitely.

Article wise... I read this article days ago and was like meh. We read the same thing last season, we read the same thing about schenn, only to read later (as he struggled) that his conditioning could be better. Years ago we read the same thing about our "future captain" Matt Stajan! Actually we read about this year in and year out about Stajan, but looking at the guy, you can see he has never put significant time into his conditioning. And we all remember how we all wanted to believe that kadri was about to follow in the footsteps of stamkos when he joined bio-steel! Wanna see gym rats? Look at s.stevens, r. Brindamour...

Point is I take reading about these athletes and their training with a grain of salt. Watch the only guy on our team whose called fat, come into the season, again be called fat... Skate circles around the team, and again lead the team in points.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
  #21
HockeyGuruPitka
Registered User
 
HockeyGuruPitka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,015
vCash: 500
i've always liked Reimer. His save percentage was .913 pre head injury. It dropped drastically after that point. Not sure if that played a factor, however i'm hoping it did.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:37 PM
  #22
Quarter
Nullius in verba
 
Quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oakville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
i've always liked Reimer. His save percentage was .913 pre head injury. It dropped drastically after that point. Not sure if that played a factor, however i'm hoping it did.
Wouldn't surprise me. Being out for that long so soon after training camp essentially eliminates any progress you made before the season started.

Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:49 PM
  #23
Randy8706
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
.905 sucks, FYI.
Are you retarded? When did I say .905 was a good sv percentage?? Since you like quoting people quote where I said anything remotely close

Randy8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:05 AM
  #24
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
How good do you expect him to be if in October 2013 he plays his first game in goal in more than a year and a half? He missed lots of time in the last season. If he had a full year last season, then I would not worry as much about that.
I don't think he'll be any more rusty than other goalies around the league who aren't playing right now, and that rust could very easily be offset by the fact that all the goalies playing overseas will need to readjust to the NA ice surface.

I don't believe he'll be great after missing a season, but then again, I don't think he's a great goalie to start with. As long as he keeps it simple, stops dropping on his knees before the shot is released, and stays in his blue paint, he'll probably be fine.

I also don't believe we'll need a superstar goalie to become competitive if we can just tighten up our defense a bit, and eliminate the ridiculous amount of odd man rushes we've conceded in the Wilson era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
i've always liked Reimer. His save percentage was .913 pre head injury. It dropped drastically after that point. Not sure if that played a factor, however i'm hoping it did.
It's a good thing he didn't start against Boston at the start of the season, or his numbers may have looked a lot worse (Gus got that honor, as his first game in 3 weeks). Other than the season opener, he was pretty meh for the rest of the games in October, highlighted by 5 goals allowed in one period vs the Sens, and the poor performance against the Avs. His play after returning from the IR was just awful.



Maybe it was just the sophomore slump, though, and the first 10 games of his NHL career is the real Reimer.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 06:25 AM
  #25
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
No.

Rynnas and Owuya are not very good, at all. Nowhere near NHL-ready, nor do I think either of them will ever be NHL goalies.
I have not liked what I saw from Scrivens on the NHL level. His puck handling and decision making is horrible at the NHL level, his rebound control could use some work, and he's not really athletic enough to recover from miscues. He's done well in the AHL (even if he's currently struggling), but it's not translated well into the big league.

Owuya is the most athletic goalie of the bunch. I've always preferred those type of goalies. He needs to work more on his positioning, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him action next year when hockey starts up again.

Rynnas is by far the biggest of our goalies, and his size can greatly help his positional style. From what I'm reading, he's also fights for his blue paint, something our goalies haven't been doing since the Cujo/Belfour days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Ellis
The Good: A big goalie at 6’5, Rynnas takes up a ton of the net and moves extremely well for his size. Not only is he quick, but he’s also aggressive and has a very competitive nature that should fit in well with Toronto. He has an extremely wide stance that allows him t0 appear big in the net, and move with NHL-level quickness. When he’s crouching and looking through bodies, his glove is at a perfect height, something that takes practice. He demands a ton of space in and around his crease and will push you around if your in his way. Combined with his skill, Rynnas is a hard-working individual with a fierce, competitive edge to his game. Most over-sized goalies are considered a bit passive, but Rynnas is active and agile.
Source

Either way, I don't think they could do much worse than what we've seen last season (aside from Gus' awesome January). Having said that, there's no way Reimer loses his starter position to the less experienced prospects based on his sophomore season. If he stinks it up in training camp, however, all bets are off.


Last edited by 4evaBlue: 12-01-2012 at 06:32 AM.
4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.