HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 08:09 AM
sharks9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Maybe if you realized not to group all leaf fans into one category based on ignorance just to satisfy your bias on a player you have rarely seen and don't even no how to spell the name of, then we would understand and respect your skepticism.

I do know of Rielly's faults. His physical play without the puck. His inability sometimes to clear and box players away from the net. We are not dumb.

I don't know if you have seen the Subway Super Series Game 5, but in that game, other than the two goalies, Rielly was arguably the best player on the ice and he didn't get one point. Bob Mckenzie along with a few others noted that he was amazing, but if you looked at the stats sheet you wouldn't see one point. Would you call that inconsistent? Would you call that a bad game for Rielly?

I think you need to take off those Leaf Hater Glasses
I said some of them think that, not all of them. And it's not my fault he spells Rielly weird.

No, because it's one game. But I would feel confident calling his offensive game inconsistent after looking at 2 blocks of 14 games each and seeing a dramatic drop in production.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:13 AM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Nope, sorry bud. You expect a top 5 pick to produce at the NHL level. The rest are not guaranteed like a top 3 pick is. A top 3 pick cannot really exceed expectations because you EXPECT and PREDICT that they will be future NHL All Stars more consistently then those players picked much later. The stats prove this, and your ovi argument. Are you being serious?...
I've already responded to this earlier in the thread, if you'd like to read it go right ahead.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:17 AM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
I said some of them think that, not all of them. And it's not my fault he spells Rielly weird.

No, because it's one game. But I would feel confident calling his offensive game inconsistent after looking at 2 blocks of 14 games each and seeing a dramatic drop in production.
I think his point and mine is that point production can be massively deceptive. To base your entire argument on point production alone is weak.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:28 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
I think his point and mine is that point production can be massively deceptive. To base your entire argument on point production alone is weak.
When judging offensive skill? Not really. Tell me how they could be deceptive?

And it's funny that I never heard that point production could be massively deceptive at the start of the year when he was PPG...

Old
11-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
When judging offensive skill? Not really. Tell me how they could be deceptive?

And it's funny that I never heard that point production could be massively deceptive at the start of the year when he was PPG...
Umm, did we forget the part about the subway series game?

Tell me how this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_136O96XMbc is not a good indicator of offensive ability.

After all, he didn't score a goal right?

And btw, can we please stay on topic. You keep trying to bring in leaf fan bias rather than talking about the issue. If you were truly confident about what you were saying, you wouldn't have to be bringing up that bias.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:46 AM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Umm, did we forget the part about the subway series game?

Tell me how this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_136O96XMbc is not a good indicator of offensive ability.

After all, he didn't score a goal right?

And btw, can we please stay on topic. You keep trying to bring in leaf fan bias rather than talking about the issue. If you were truly confident about what you were saying, you wouldn't have to be bringing up that bias.
How does that have anything to do with consistency? You can't judge consistency based off 2 games.

I never said he doesn't have any offensive ability, but his offense is clearly not consistent based on his stats.

You ask me to stay on topic but then bring up the Subway Series which had nothing to do with what I was talking about. I am confident in what I'm saying because it's clearly backed up by facts, whereas all Leafs fans are saying is that I can't judge offensive ability by stats, which is ridiculous.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
How does that have anything to do with consistency? You can't judge consistency based off 2 games.

I never said he doesn't have any offensive ability, but his offense is clearly not consistent based on his stats.

You ask me to stay on topic but then bring up the Subway Series which had nothing to do with what I was talking about. I am confident in what I'm saying because it's clearly backed up by facts, whereas all Leafs fans are saying is that I can't judge offensive ability by stats, which is ridiculous.
It has to do with consistency because I am arguing that consistency in terms of on-ice play and consistency in terms of offensive stats can be independent of each other (especially at this level where there can be such a wide range in skill levels). That is why I am showing you highlights of Rielly in a game where he is a constant offensive threat but has nothing on the stats sheet.

If Rielly plays this way for all of the games he's played in so far, despite the offense produced on the stats sheet which would come in time once the bounces go his way, he remains a consistent offensive threat.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:

Rielly is tied for second in scoring for dmen in the WHL. Playing on a poor team. The guy who is a few pts ahead of him plays on a pretty good team and is two years older.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Quote:

On the Leafs board we havea youtube video full of Rielly highlights like that other one after almost every game or so. Even if he doesn't get any points the highlights always show how consistent he is at making and setting up plays regardless how other players finish.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:14 AM
hockeyGod

And he is such a pleasure to watch. Pure entertainment

Old
11-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Beleafer4

Quote:

Rielly cant finish: lack of goals

Rielly's team cant finish, lack of assists.

Its not that hard. After fioretti's red hot start, pretty much the entire moose jaw team has had trouble finishing. Rielly too. But in terms of playmaking and breaking the game open, rielly hasnt changed.

I would really like him to improve that shot though... And I would also like him to initiate contact in his own zone more often (he gives opposing forwards too much space imo). Other than that, Im very happy with his play.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:45 AM
KlattNazty

for his goal scoring issue, id just like to say, he has hit ALOT of posts this year on legit goal scoring opportunities. Like ones where I think more often than not it would have beaten the goalie.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:04 PM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Rielly cant finish: lack of goals

Rielly's team cant finish, lack of assists.

Its not that hard. After fioretti's red hot start, pretty much the entire moose jaw team has had trouble finishing. Rielly too. But in terms of playmaking and breaking the game open, rielly hasnt changed.

I would really like him to improve that shot though... And I would also like him to initiate contact in his own zone more often (he gives opposing forwards too much space imo). Other than that, Im very happy with his play.
Moose Jaw is not exactly adept at scoring. They are 2nd last in scoring in the Eastern Conference and 5th last in the entire league. Rielly is pretty much the only true offensive threat on his team. Only so much he can do, like you said. He's been a part of 34 percent of his teams goals. No other dman has been involved in more of his teams goals in the entire WHL, except Pulock (34 percent, if you take away the 8 goals his team has scored in games without him).

Consistency isn't an issue and the guy arguing that has no clue as to what he is talking about. Rielly is always on.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:06 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 25678
Let's move on to the next thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1299689

Closed Thread