HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Madness the 8th: Josh Johnson Edition.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2012, 11:04 PM
  #101
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 14,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimso View Post
Yeah, I was surprised I didn't hear that mentioned by anyone before today. At least its not anything new.


And nice to see Reyes meeting with Jays alum
http://instagram.com/p/SoPqU0TVQt/
This is twisted.

Delgado started with the Jays, signed a big contract with the Marlins, got traded within a year to the Mets and finished his career there.

Reyes started with the Mets, signed a big contract with the Marlins, got traded within a year to the Jays, to be continued...

Illuminati?

Eyedea is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:08 PM
  #102
canucksfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 26,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Just looked up Delgado's baseball ref. Criminal that this guy was only an All Star TWICE. He has borderline HOF numbers.
His 2000 year was his best. .470 OBP.

canucksfan is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:13 PM
  #103
TootooTrain
-
 
TootooTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,370
vCash: 500
From Reyes' instagram:



Haha awesome.

For those who don't know, Lo Viste means "Did you see that?", or "Check this out". Usually done after a big hit. Same sorta thing as the Bautista/EE beast mode.

TootooTrain is offline  
Old
11-29-2012, 11:22 PM
  #104
Kb21
Registered User
 
Kb21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Would anyone move JPA for Ivan Nova?
nope, he is worth way more then nova regardless of his numbers. outside teams see him as a power catcher that is young, controllable and is improving defensively. also the catcher market is very thin.

on another note, i would like to see the jays try to swing a trade for jordan walden. he has fallen out of favour with the angels after the season he had, that plus they signed madson and frier is coming off a good season.

he throws hard and is still young, if he we can teach him to control his breaking pitches he would be nasty. i know we have enough BP arms but he maybe cheap.


Last edited by Kb21: 11-29-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Kb21 is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 12:04 AM
  #105
Gobo
What's Your Issue?
 
Gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wild Rose Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,291
vCash: 500
Yo, Reyes is a good looking dude.


Gobo is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 12:07 AM
  #106
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,022
vCash: 500
I think Reyes will like it here. Specially with Carabana and all.

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg
DirtyDion03 is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 12:29 AM
  #107
Drop The Mits
Dinger Derby
 
Drop The Mits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
From Reyes' instagram:



Haha awesome.

For those who don't know, Lo Viste means "Did you see that?", or "Check this out". Usually done after a big hit. Same sorta thing as the Bautista/EE beast mode.
So you mean it's not a homophobic slur?

Drop The Mits is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 12:38 AM
  #108
HappyGilmourr
Registered User
 
HappyGilmourr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Milton
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Just looked up Delgado's baseball ref. Criminal that this guy was only an All Star TWICE. He has borderline HOF numbers.
Thats insane... pretty stupid the jays let him walk in free agency because of dollars... they should have let him add to his Blue jay Milestones. I loved Delgado, imagine him batting 4th behind Bautista? wow

edit: pretty crazy at one time this city had Roy halladay, Mats Sundin, Carlos Delgado and Vince Carter all at once

Now we have Bautista and that's really it... maybe make an argument for kessel but he's not really a face of the franchise guy


Last edited by HappyGilmourr: 11-30-2012 at 12:44 AM.
HappyGilmourr is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 01:19 AM
  #109
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
I think he would definitely be the DH. I read somewhere a few days ago that they plan on using EE as their every day 1B (last year he kind of split it with DH).

But I doubt he signs here. For as much flack as Lind takes, he can hit 20-25 bombs, making 5 mill. I mean, hell, in 2011 he hit 26 in 125 games. He really only struggled last year but was hurt alot. I'd much rather him for 5 mill and go after a starter than sign Laroche who will probably get quite a bit on the open market. Plenty of solid pitchers available both short term and long term. Haren, Marcum, Greinke (6 years, 150 mill, won't be here just sayin ).

Isn't Halladay available next year? Sign Haren to a 1 year deal and then bring DOC BACK! I know Im probably dreaming..
Lind? you mean the worst first basemen/DH for years now? the guys brutal. Home runs don't mean squat considering his other numbers.

Man Bear Pig is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 01:57 AM
  #110
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,226
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
What about the big club if he has border issues?
if he makes the big leagues it will be in 2 or 3 years. I'm sure it's something they can work on then. Pro athletes get exemptions and pardons all the time.

danishh is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 05:17 AM
  #111
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter
 
Ohio Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Lind? you mean the worst first basemen/DH for years now? the guys brutal. Home runs don't mean squat considering his other numbers.
He's struggled for the better part of three seasons, no denying it. But Gibbons has a history of playing guys to their strengths. Lind did very well against righties, especially after Mottola - now with the big club full-time - re-jigged his plate approach in Vegas. If he DH's the 70% of games we play vs RHP, he'll do just fine, and could hit capably out of the 5-hole.

Ohio Jones is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 05:28 AM
  #112
aingefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
He's struggled for the better part of three seasons, no denying it. But Gibbons has a history of playing guys to their strengths. Lind did very well against righties, especially after Mottola - now with the big club full-time - re-jigged his plate approach in Vegas. If he DH's the 70% of games we play vs RHP, he'll do just fine, and could hit capably out of the 5-hole.
Agreed, and AA again recently mentionned that TDA could get 1B AB's this year. If he's healthy, there's the RH hitter part of that platoon.

The C situation still needs ironing out, and pitching depth needs to be added. Three (four with TDA) RH hitters. Despite the comments about not looking at position players right now, I can still see a LH hitter in the teams sights if/when a C is traded for another pitcher. If Oliver's comments about wanting to play in Texas are legit, there'll be a spot for a LH RP too, I'd think.

Meanwhile, AA is talking up Nolin a little bit. Might be attempting to sell high.

aingefan is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 05:53 AM
  #113
King Mapes
Moderator
HF's King
 
King Mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 23,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Lind? you mean the worst first basemen/DH for years now? the guys brutal. Home runs don't mean squat considering his other numbers.
26 home runs, 87 ribs, 251 AVG in. 125 games. Those numbers aren't THAT bad. People make it sound like he hit 210 with 10 home runs. It isn't great production from your 1b/DH but we have better power numbers than most with our RF, catcher and our other 1b/DH. Just saying 25+ home runs batting 250 is solid for 5 mill. I'd much rather have that production and sign a starter than dump him, sign Laroche to 15 mill and keep our pitching the same

King Mapes is online now  
Old
11-30-2012, 09:27 AM
  #114
TOGuy14
Registered User
 
TOGuy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,395
vCash: 500
What do you guys think of the new Jeter, aka Fat Jeter.

Supposedly he can't put any weight on his ankle so he has been fully unable to train right now.



Here is the article

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...7eIPeKPH0sR53H

TOGuy14 is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 09:41 AM
  #115
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 39,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
What do you guys think of the new Jeter, aka Fat Jeter.

Supposedly he can't put any weight on his ankle so he has been fully unable to train right now.



Here is the article

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...7eIPeKPH0sR53H
captain munch lol

maybe he'll hit a few more homers now

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 09:58 AM
  #116
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 17,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Thats insane... pretty stupid the jays let him walk in free agency because of dollars... they should have let him add to his Blue jay Milestones. I loved Delgado, imagine him batting 4th behind Bautista? wow

edit: pretty crazy at one time this city had Roy halladay, Mats Sundin, Carlos Delgado and Vince Carter all at once

Now we have Bautista and that's really it... maybe make an argument for kessel but he's not really a face of the franchise guy
Delgado likely will go up and be hnoured like the other Jays.

Nullus Reverentia is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 10:06 AM
  #117
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
He's struggled for the better part of three seasons, no denying it. But Gibbons has a history of playing guys to their strengths. Lind did very well against righties, especially after Mottola - now with the big club full-time - re-jigged his plate approach in Vegas. If he DH's the 70% of games we play vs RHP, he'll do just fine, and could hit capably out of the 5-hole.
Oh no, I understand. I've been suggesting a platoon for him for a while now. The guy shouldn't get one AB vs LHP at all next season. Anything but a platoon with Lind would be giving outs away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
26 home runs, 87 ribs, 251 AVG in. 125 games. Those numbers aren't THAT bad. People make it sound like he hit 210 with 10 home runs. It isn't great production from your 1b/DH but we have better power numbers than most with our RF, catcher and our other 1b/DH. Just saying 25+ home runs batting 250 is solid for 5 mill. I'd much rather have that production and sign a starter than dump him, sign Laroche to 15 mill and keep our pitching the same
The issue is that Linds been ranked near or dead last in every category for his positions for years now. That 2011 season you're referring to? he was awful. A .734 OPS is atrocious for a 1B/DH. A .295 OBP? yuck. He was also a negative WAR player. We gotta face the facts here, he's been downright awful. A negative WAR player in this league is beyond brutal. That's just a waste of five million, if anything.

Man Bear Pig is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
  #118
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,760
vCash: 500
So thus far the yankee's have lost Martin (easily replaced), likely going to lose Swisher and Soriano and have a health issue with Jeter, Rivera and Pineda. That's quite a bit of talent loss to have to cope with before factoring in health.

Woodman19 is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 10:28 AM
  #119
shakes
Ancient Astronaut
 
shakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
The issue is that Linds been ranked near or dead last in every category for his positions for years now. That 2011 season you're referring to? he was awful. A .734 OPS is atrocious for a 1B/DH. A .295 OBP? yuck. He was also a negative WAR player. We gotta face the facts here, he's been downright awful. A negative WAR player in this league is beyond brutal. That's just a waste of five million, if anything.
I guess this is where I don't understand (or care about) those other numbers. Way back when WAR was something countries did, a stat line of 26 home runs, 87 ribs, 251 AVG was worth 5 million bucks. Hell, in my opinion, it still is worth 5 million bucks. In fact when you factor in real life scenarios such as replacing him with a FA (More money) or trade (lost prospects), I think this team can absorb those paltry 26 home runs and 87 RBI even if he doesn't match up well with other players who play his position. I think people can over-stat themselves.

shakes is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 10:32 AM
  #120
DatsyukianDeke*
Dangle Dangle
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
So thus far the yankee's have lost Martin (easily replaced), likely going to lose Swisher and Soriano and have a health issue with Jeter, Rivera and Pineda. That's quite a bit of talent loss to have to cope with before factoring in health.
Could you imagine if the Yankees finish with a .500 record. The fans would lose there **** and stop showing up with the price of those tickets.

DatsyukianDeke* is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 10:37 AM
  #121
shakes
Ancient Astronaut
 
shakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,043
vCash: 500
http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/201...on-in-soc.html

I hate Damien Cox. Buerhle hasn't even played a game for the Jays and he is slamming him because he wants to bring his dog with him? Dog people, myself included, would do the exact same thing for their pets. Posting ignorant and inflammatory blogs about how Buerhle should talk to dog bite victims makes me want to puke. Hey, don't worry about the facts that Pitbulls aren't even top three in the dog bite statistics or it's not even the dog's fault, just run your mouth because some guy wants to bring his dog with him. Hell, an unsavory person can and probably has trained a Lab to be crazy too.

I don't own a pitbull (I'm a Lab guy), but I know if I was a pitcher and I couldn't bring my dog with me, I would want to be traded. That's not hyperbole either. God, I'm mad. I hate idiots.

shakes is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 10:59 AM
  #122
ryno23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/201...on-in-soc.html

I hate Damien Cox. Buerhle hasn't even played a game for the Jays and he is slamming him because he wants to bring his dog with him? Dog people, myself included, would do the exact same thing for their pets. Posting ignorant and inflammatory blogs about how Buerhle should talk to dog bite victims makes me want to puke. Hey, don't worry about the facts that Pitbulls aren't even top three in the dog bite statistics or it's not even the dog's fault, just run your mouth because some guy wants to bring his dog with him. Hell, an unsavory person can and probably has trained a Lab to be crazy too.

I don't own a pitbull (I'm a Lab guy), but I know if I was a pitcher and I couldn't bring my dog with me, I would want to be traded. That's not hyperbole either. God, I'm mad. I hate idiots.
Guys like Cox are part of the reason some players of all the major sports hate coming to Toronto to play. The media here looks to paint every situation in a negative light.

Guys like Cox, Berger, Simmons troll the fan base and write bs stuff just to get a rise out of the public and needle management and players of the pro teams.

Look I know the media has a job to report on stuff but they go overboard many times to create stuff that is not there.

I know a few NHL'ers who have played here in Toronto and they do not miss the media one bit and say sure its the centre of the hockey universe but the media makes for a crappy place to play.

ryno23 is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
  #123
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Guys like Cox are part of the reason some players of all the major sports hate coming to Toronto to play. The media here looks to paint every situation in a negative light.

Guys like Cox, Berger, Simmons troll the fan base and write bs stuff just to get a rise out of the public and needle management and players of the pro teams.

Look I know the media has a job to report on stuff but they go overboard many times to create stuff that is not there.

I know a few NHL'ers who have played here in Toronto and they do not miss the media one bit and say sure its the centre of the hockey universe but the media makes for a crappy place to play.
Agree with you completely.

Funny thing is after they throw out these rags full of bull**** journalism... they come right back with the articles that slam management for not being able to attract star level players.

They thrive on these teams sucking for long stretches because there's much more interest and creative things to write about than when everyone is happy because the team is winning.

topched is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 11:23 AM
  #124
Leafsforlife98
Registered User
 
Leafsforlife98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
I know that guys have already talked about it but AA says he has the assets to pull off another blockbuster. I personally think RA Dickey will be the opening day starter for the Blue Jays. Hear me out.

The Blue Jays and the Mets have been spending a lot of time talking together (some of it was about the history with Jose Reyes) but something has to be brewing between the 2 clubs. They are perfect trading partners, us needing a front line pitcher and the Mets needing a catcher for the future. Dickey probably has about 2 or 3 years of dominance left in him (Hopefully), and since we are obviously going for it for the next couple of years, having him at the front of the staff would be an excellent thing. It would also gives us 3 potential /1 pitchers for the playoffs which is priceless. Most of our contracts with our players are done within 3 years, so he would fit right in with the group. Also picking up Dickey would allow Sanchez and Snydergaard to develop into the great pitchers they should become and When they come up in 2-3 years, they should be mature enough to just slide right into the rotation with little setbacks. There are too many positives for both teams to not make something work.


There are a couple of trades I could see working between the 2 clubs.

================================================== =============

To Toronto- RA Dickey SP


To New York Mets- JP Arencibia and Daniel Norris SP

================================================== =============

To Toronto- RA Dickey SP and Ike Davis 1B

To New York Mets- JP Arencibia C, Adam Lind 1B and Anthony Gose OF

================================================== =============

To Toronto- RA Dickey SP and Ike Davis 1B


To New York Mets- Travis d`Arnaud C, Adam Lind 1B and Daniel Norris SP.

================================================== =============


Personally I think there is a trade in there that works for both teams and can give each team what they need.


The rotation would be pretty awesome come next year! and we would have a 3 headed monster in the playoffs.

RA Dickey
Josh Johnson
Brandon Morrow
Mark Buehrle
Ricky Romero

Swingman- JA Happ

Leafsforlife98 is offline  
Old
11-30-2012, 11:34 AM
  #125
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,291
vCash: 500
To be honest... I wouldn't give up more than Arencibia for Dickey.

The guy has been the definition of average for almost all of his career before blowing the doors off at 38 years old. Add in the fact that he's on a one year deal, with no guarantee of extension... and Arencibia is all I would do.

Don't even begin to whisper TDA or Norris in a conversation for a 38 year old knuckleballer. TDA is the best prospect in the WORLD at his position, and I would not trade our #3 pitching prospect for 1 year of Dickey.

If you want to include Ike Davis into talks (which isn't happening) then I'd start to expand. I'd give up Arencibia, would include a pitching prospect like Norris and some other minor league pieces, but the Mets would have to take Lind coming back.

topched is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.