HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Madness the 8th: Josh Johnson Edition.

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimso View Post
Yeah, I was surprised I didn't hear that mentioned by anyone before today. At least its not anything new.

And nice to see Reyes meeting with Jays alum
http://instagram.com/p/SoPqU0TVQt/
This is twisted.

Delgado started with the Jays, signed a big contract with the Marlins, got traded within a year to the Mets and finished his career there.

Reyes started with the Mets, signed a big contract with the Marlins, got traded within a year to the Jays, to be continued...

Illuminati?

Old
11-29-2012, 11:08 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Just looked up Delgado's baseball ref. Criminal that this guy was only an All Star TWICE. He has borderline HOF numbers.
His 2000 year was his best. .470 OBP.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:13 PM
TootooTrain
-

From Reyes' instagram:

Haha awesome.

For those who don't know, Lo Viste means "Did you see that?", or "Check this out". Usually done after a big hit. Same sorta thing as the Bautista/EE beast mode.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Kb21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Would anyone move JPA for Ivan Nova?
nope, he is worth way more then nova regardless of his numbers. outside teams see him as a power catcher that is young, controllable and is improving defensively. also the catcher market is very thin.

on another note, i would like to see the jays try to swing a trade for jordan walden. he has fallen out of favour with the angels after the season he had, that plus they signed madson and frier is coming off a good season.

he throws hard and is still young, if he we can teach him to control his breaking pitches he would be nasty. i know we have enough BP arms but he maybe cheap.

Last edited by Kb21: 11-29-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old
11-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Yo, Reyes is a good looking dude.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:07 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

I think Reyes will like it here. Specially with Carabana and all.

11-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Drop The Mits
Dinger Derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
From Reyes' instagram:

Haha awesome.

For those who don't know, Lo Viste means "Did you see that?", or "Check this out". Usually done after a big hit. Same sorta thing as the Bautista/EE beast mode.
So you mean it's not a homophobic slur?

Old
11-30-2012, 12:38 AM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Just looked up Delgado's baseball ref. Criminal that this guy was only an All Star TWICE. He has borderline HOF numbers.
Thats insane... pretty stupid the jays let him walk in free agency because of dollars... they should have let him add to his Blue jay Milestones. I loved Delgado, imagine him batting 4th behind Bautista? wow

edit: pretty crazy at one time this city had Roy halladay, Mats Sundin, Carlos Delgado and Vince Carter all at once

Now we have Bautista and that's really it... maybe make an argument for kessel but he's not really a face of the franchise guy

Last edited by HappyGilmourr: 11-30-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old
11-30-2012, 01:19 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
I think he would definitely be the DH. I read somewhere a few days ago that they plan on using EE as their every day 1B (last year he kind of split it with DH).

But I doubt he signs here. For as much flack as Lind takes, he can hit 20-25 bombs, making 5 mill. I mean, hell, in 2011 he hit 26 in 125 games. He really only struggled last year but was hurt alot. I'd much rather him for 5 mill and go after a starter than sign Laroche who will probably get quite a bit on the open market. Plenty of solid pitchers available both short term and long term. Haren, Marcum, Greinke (6 years, 150 mill, won't be here just sayin ).

Isn't Halladay available next year? Sign Haren to a 1 year deal and then bring DOC BACK! I know Im probably dreaming..
Lind? you mean the worst first basemen/DH for years now? the guys brutal. Home runs don't mean squat considering his other numbers.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:57 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
What about the big club if he has border issues?
if he makes the big leagues it will be in 2 or 3 years. I'm sure it's something they can work on then. Pro athletes get exemptions and pardons all the time.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:17 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Lind? you mean the worst first basemen/DH for years now? the guys brutal. Home runs don't mean squat considering his other numbers.
He's struggled for the better part of three seasons, no denying it. But Gibbons has a history of playing guys to their strengths. Lind did very well against righties, especially after Mottola - now with the big club full-time - re-jigged his plate approach in Vegas. If he DH's the 70% of games we play vs RHP, he'll do just fine, and could hit capably out of the 5-hole.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:28 AM
aingefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
He's struggled for the better part of three seasons, no denying it. But Gibbons has a history of playing guys to their strengths. Lind did very well against righties, especially after Mottola - now with the big club full-time - re-jigged his plate approach in Vegas. If he DH's the 70% of games we play vs RHP, he'll do just fine, and could hit capably out of the 5-hole.
Agreed, and AA again recently mentionned that TDA could get 1B AB's this year. If he's healthy, there's the RH hitter part of that platoon.

The C situation still needs ironing out, and pitching depth needs to be added. Three (four with TDA) RH hitters. Despite the comments about not looking at position players right now, I can still see a LH hitter in the teams sights if/when a C is traded for another pitcher. If Oliver's comments about wanting to play in Texas are legit, there'll be a spot for a LH RP too, I'd think.

Meanwhile, AA is talking up Nolin a little bit. Might be attempting to sell high.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:53 AM
King Mapes
HF's King

Quote:
26 home runs, 87 ribs, 251 AVG in. 125 games. Those numbers aren't THAT bad. People make it sound like he hit 210 with 10 home runs. It isn't great production from your 1b/DH but we have better power numbers than most with our RF, catcher and our other 1b/DH. Just saying 25+ home runs batting 250 is solid for 5 mill. I'd much rather have that production and sign a starter than dump him, sign Laroche to 15 mill and keep our pitching the same

Old
11-30-2012, 09:27 AM
TOGuy14

What do you guys think of the new Jeter, aka Fat Jeter.

Supposedly he can't put any weight on his ankle so he has been fully unable to train right now.

Here is the article

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...7eIPeKPH0sR53H

Old
11-30-2012, 09:41 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
What do you guys think of the new Jeter, aka Fat Jeter.

Supposedly he can't put any weight on his ankle so he has been fully unable to train right now.

Here is the article

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...7eIPeKPH0sR53H
captain munch lol

maybe he'll hit a few more homers now

Old
11-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Thats insane... pretty stupid the jays let him walk in free agency because of dollars... they should have let him add to his Blue jay Milestones. I loved Delgado, imagine him batting 4th behind Bautista? wow

edit: pretty crazy at one time this city had Roy halladay, Mats Sundin, Carlos Delgado and Vince Carter all at once

Now we have Bautista and that's really it... maybe make an argument for kessel but he's not really a face of the franchise guy
Delgado likely will go up and be hnoured like the other Jays.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Oh no, I understand. I've been suggesting a platoon for him for a while now. The guy shouldn't get one AB vs LHP at all next season. Anything but a platoon with Lind would be giving outs away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
26 home runs, 87 ribs, 251 AVG in. 125 games. Those numbers aren't THAT bad. People make it sound like he hit 210 with 10 home runs. It isn't great production from your 1b/DH but we have better power numbers than most with our RF, catcher and our other 1b/DH. Just saying 25+ home runs batting 250 is solid for 5 mill. I'd much rather have that production and sign a starter than dump him, sign Laroche to 15 mill and keep our pitching the same
The issue is that Linds been ranked near or dead last in every category for his positions for years now. That 2011 season you're referring to? he was awful. A .734 OPS is atrocious for a 1B/DH. A .295 OBP? yuck. He was also a negative WAR player. We gotta face the facts here, he's been downright awful. A negative WAR player in this league is beyond brutal. That's just a waste of five million, if anything.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

So thus far the yankee's have lost Martin (easily replaced), likely going to lose Swisher and Soriano and have a health issue with Jeter, Rivera and Pineda. That's quite a bit of talent loss to have to cope with before factoring in health.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:28 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
The issue is that Linds been ranked near or dead last in every category for his positions for years now. That 2011 season you're referring to? he was awful. A .734 OPS is atrocious for a 1B/DH. A .295 OBP? yuck. He was also a negative WAR player. We gotta face the facts here, he's been downright awful. A negative WAR player in this league is beyond brutal. That's just a waste of five million, if anything.
I guess this is where I don't understand (or care about) those other numbers. Way back when WAR was something countries did, a stat line of 26 home runs, 87 ribs, 251 AVG was worth 5 million bucks. Hell, in my opinion, it still is worth 5 million bucks. In fact when you factor in real life scenarios such as replacing him with a FA (More money) or trade (lost prospects), I think this team can absorb those paltry 26 home runs and 87 RBI even if he doesn't match up well with other players who play his position. I think people can over-stat themselves.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:32 AM
DatsyukianDeke*
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
So thus far the yankee's have lost Martin (easily replaced), likely going to lose Swisher and Soriano and have a health issue with Jeter, Rivera and Pineda. That's quite a bit of talent loss to have to cope with before factoring in health.
Could you imagine if the Yankees finish with a .500 record. The fans would lose there **** and stop showing up with the price of those tickets.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:37 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/201...on-in-soc.html

I hate Damien Cox. Buerhle hasn't even played a game for the Jays and he is slamming him because he wants to bring his dog with him? Dog people, myself included, would do the exact same thing for their pets. Posting ignorant and inflammatory blogs about how Buerhle should talk to dog bite victims makes me want to puke. Hey, don't worry about the facts that Pitbulls aren't even top three in the dog bite statistics or it's not even the dog's fault, just run your mouth because some guy wants to bring his dog with him. Hell, an unsavory person can and probably has trained a Lab to be crazy too.

I don't own a pitbull (I'm a Lab guy), but I know if I was a pitcher and I couldn't bring my dog with me, I would want to be traded. That's not hyperbole either. God, I'm mad. I hate idiots.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:59 AM
ryno23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/201...on-in-soc.html

I hate Damien Cox. Buerhle hasn't even played a game for the Jays and he is slamming him because he wants to bring his dog with him? Dog people, myself included, would do the exact same thing for their pets. Posting ignorant and inflammatory blogs about how Buerhle should talk to dog bite victims makes me want to puke. Hey, don't worry about the facts that Pitbulls aren't even top three in the dog bite statistics or it's not even the dog's fault, just run your mouth because some guy wants to bring his dog with him. Hell, an unsavory person can and probably has trained a Lab to be crazy too.

I don't own a pitbull (I'm a Lab guy), but I know if I was a pitcher and I couldn't bring my dog with me, I would want to be traded. That's not hyperbole either. God, I'm mad. I hate idiots.
Guys like Cox are part of the reason some players of all the major sports hate coming to Toronto to play. The media here looks to paint every situation in a negative light.

Guys like Cox, Berger, Simmons troll the fan base and write bs stuff just to get a rise out of the public and needle management and players of the pro teams.

Look I know the media has a job to report on stuff but they go overboard many times to create stuff that is not there.

I know a few NHL'ers who have played here in Toronto and they do not miss the media one bit and say sure its the centre of the hockey universe but the media makes for a crappy place to play.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Guys like Cox are part of the reason some players of all the major sports hate coming to Toronto to play. The media here looks to paint every situation in a negative light.

Guys like Cox, Berger, Simmons troll the fan base and write bs stuff just to get a rise out of the public and needle management and players of the pro teams.

Look I know the media has a job to report on stuff but they go overboard many times to create stuff that is not there.

I know a few NHL'ers who have played here in Toronto and they do not miss the media one bit and say sure its the centre of the hockey universe but the media makes for a crappy place to play.
Agree with you completely.

Funny thing is after they throw out these rags full of bull**** journalism... they come right back with the articles that slam management for not being able to attract star level players.

They thrive on these teams sucking for long stretches because there's much more interest and creative things to write about than when everyone is happy because the team is winning.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Leafsforlife98

I know that guys have already talked about it but AA says he has the assets to pull off another blockbuster. I personally think RA Dickey will be the opening day starter for the Blue Jays. Hear me out.

The Blue Jays and the Mets have been spending a lot of time talking together (some of it was about the history with Jose Reyes) but something has to be brewing between the 2 clubs. They are perfect trading partners, us needing a front line pitcher and the Mets needing a catcher for the future. Dickey probably has about 2 or 3 years of dominance left in him (Hopefully), and since we are obviously going for it for the next couple of years, having him at the front of the staff would be an excellent thing. It would also gives us 3 potential /1 pitchers for the playoffs which is priceless. Most of our contracts with our players are done within 3 years, so he would fit right in with the group. Also picking up Dickey would allow Sanchez and Snydergaard to develop into the great pitchers they should become and When they come up in 2-3 years, they should be mature enough to just slide right into the rotation with little setbacks. There are too many positives for both teams to not make something work.

There are a couple of trades I could see working between the 2 clubs.

================================================== =============

To Toronto- RA Dickey SP

To New York Mets- JP Arencibia and Daniel Norris SP

To Toronto- RA Dickey SP and Ike Davis 1B

To New York Mets- JP Arencibia C, Adam Lind 1B and Anthony Gose OF

To Toronto- RA Dickey SP and Ike Davis 1B

To New York Mets- Travis d`Arnaud C, Adam Lind 1B and Daniel Norris SP.

Personally I think there is a trade in there that works for both teams and can give each team what they need.

The rotation would be pretty awesome come next year! and we would have a 3 headed monster in the playoffs.

RA Dickey
Josh Johnson
Brandon Morrow
Mark Buehrle
Ricky Romero

Swingman- JA Happ

Old
11-30-2012, 11:34 AM
topched

To be honest... I wouldn't give up more than Arencibia for Dickey.

The guy has been the definition of average for almost all of his career before blowing the doors off at 38 years old. Add in the fact that he's on a one year deal, with no guarantee of extension... and Arencibia is all I would do.

Don't even begin to whisper TDA or Norris in a conversation for a 38 year old knuckleballer. TDA is the best prospect in the WORLD at his position, and I would not trade our #3 pitching prospect for 1 year of Dickey.

If you want to include Ike Davis into talks (which isn't happening) then I'd start to expand. I'd give up Arencibia, would include a pitching prospect like Norris and some other minor league pieces, but the Mets would have to take Lind coming back.

Closed Thread