HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Madness the 8th: Josh Johnson Edition.

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Cool Beans Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Thats insane... pretty stupid the jays let him walk in free agency because of dollars... they should have let him add to his Blue jay Milestones. I loved Delgado, imagine him batting 4th behind Bautista? wow

edit: pretty crazy at one time this city had Roy halladay, Mats Sundin, Carlos Delgado and Vince Carter all at once

Now we have Bautista and that's really it... maybe make an argument for kessel but he's not really a face of the franchise guy
Carlos was robbed of the MVP in I believe 2002.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
To be honest... I wouldn't give up more than Arencibia for Dickey.

The guy has been the definition of average for almost all of his career before blowing the doors off at 38 years old. Add in the fact that he's on a one year deal, with no guarantee of extension... and Arencibia is all I would do.

Don't even begin to whisper TDA or Norris in a conversation for a 38 year old knuckleballer. TDA is the best prospect in the WORLD at his position, and I would not trade our #3 pitching prospect for 1 year of Dickey.

If you want to include Ike Davis into talks (which isn't happening) then I'd start to expand. I'd give up Arencibia, would include a pitching prospect like Norris and some other minor league pieces, but the Mets would have to take Lind coming back.

He is on a 1 year deal worth 5 million, but is VERY open to re-negotiating since he is 38 and wants to have the security of knowing he will be getting a paycheck for a couple more years. I also don`t think AA trades for him unless he knows he can get an extension done.

But come on, this is the guy who just won the Cy Young award. Just Arencibia isn`t gonna get it done IMO especially with Kansas City offering up super prospect Wil Myers for Dickey.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:45 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post
Carlos was robbed of the MVP in I believe 2002.
It was '03.

Not sure if he was robbed. Finished second behind ARod, who had more runs, hits, hr's and stolen bases (obvy ). Arods WAR was a full 3 points higher than Delgados.

But my god a 1.019 OPS is RIDICULOUS.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:46 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
He is on a 1 year deal worth 5 million, but is VERY open to re-negotiating since he is 38 and wants to have the security of knowing he will be getting a paycheck for a couple more years. I also don`t think AA trades for him unless he knows he can get an extension done.

But come on, this is the guy who just won the Cy Young award. Just Arencibia isn`t gonna get it done IMO especially with Kansas City offering up super prospect Wil Myers for Dickey.
Don't know where you heard that. But IMO that would be highway robbery by the Mets.

Honestly Dickey was good this year... but thats been it. I don't have the confidence in him that I'd want to pay him 13-15 mill per year until he's 40.

Great pitcher, but I'd be strongly hesitant to add to Arencibia.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/201...on-in-soc.html

I hate Damien Cox. Buerhle hasn't even played a game for the Jays and he is slamming him because he wants to bring his dog with him? Dog people, myself included, would do the exact same thing for their pets. Posting ignorant and inflammatory blogs about how Buerhle should talk to dog bite victims makes me want to puke. Hey, don't worry about the facts that Pitbulls aren't even top three in the dog bite statistics or it's not even the dog's fault, just run your mouth because some guy wants to bring his dog with him. Hell, an unsavory person can and probably has trained a Lab to be crazy too.

I don't own a pitbull (I'm a Lab guy), but I know if I was a pitcher and I couldn't bring my dog with me, I would want to be traded. That's not hyperbole either. God, I'm mad. I hate idiots.
Meh, it's Damien Cox. This is what I expect out of him.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
if he makes the big leagues it will be in 2 or 3 years. I'm sure it's something they can work on then. Pro athletes get exemptions and pardons all the time.
Alford's ETA is likely a September call up in 2016 at the earliest. He has a long road ahead of him and this charge won't really affect his career. Just as long as he doesn't repeat it and become a Delmon Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
So thus far the yankee's have lost Martin (easily replaced), likely going to lose Swisher and Soriano and have a health issue with Jeter, Rivera and Pineda. That's quite a bit of talent loss to have to cope with before factoring in health.
Not to mention the decline in both Granderson and Teixeira. I don't know what to think of their product because, well, they're the freaking Yankees. However it's not looking good for them right now.

Quote:
Don't know where you heard that. But IMO that would be highway robbery by the Mets.

Honestly Dickey was good this year... but thats been it. I don't have the confidence in him that I'd want to pay him 13-15 mill per year until he's 40.

He's been good for the last 3 years. He's not ace level though, but solid a #3 which imo is not worth that much.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Alden Gonzalez ‏@Alden_Gonzalez

The #Braves will be getting #Angels RP Jordan Walden in return for Tommy Hanson. Straight-up deal.

Wow. Hanson has seen his velocity decline by quite a bit and has had some injury issues (sat at 89.6 last year. 92.7 in 2010 -- red flag for me). I think I like it better for the Braves simply because I think Hanson won't ever be as good as he once was and is more of a backend starter now.

Old
11-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post

The #Braves will be getting #Angels RP Jordan Walden in return for Tommy Hanson. Straight-up deal.

Wow. Hanson has seen his velocity decline by quite a bit and has had some injury issues (sat at 89.6 last year. 92.7 in 2010 -- red flag for me). I think I like it better for the Braves simply because I think Hanson won't ever be as good as he once was and is more of a backend starter now.
Well at least he goes into another pitchers park.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Felstead
Boss Status

Quote:

Beat me to it.

Heard someone mention Walden as a possible pickup that AA coulda made. Can basically throw that out the window.

Personally like this move for the Braves. Walden's delivery is so sick. Stud of an arm, I see him having a great year for the braves as the 8th inning guy before Kimbrel.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
Beat me to it.

Heard someone mention Walden as a possible pickup that AA coulda made. Can basically throw that out the window.

Personally like this move for the Braves. Walden's delivery is so sick. Stud of an arm, I see him having a great year for the braves as the 8th inning guy before Kimbrel.
Both seems like players on a path to injury. Walden has a pretty violent delivery and Hanson's velocity is going down.

11-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:

Reports are he is seeking a 20 million extension for 2 more years added. So that`s 3 years and 25 million total for a guy who just won the Cy Young award. Money wise, I don`t think it gets any better than that. Rickey Romero makes similar money. Yea, it`s kind of a risk if he all of a sudden goes from Cy Young winner to absolute garbage, but Knuckleballers usually last a lot longer. not as taxing on the arm to throw 60 mile per hour and I think he will be solid for a couple more years.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
Beat me to it.

Not in a good way though. He will likely always have trouble with his command with the way he throws.

Both guys are health risks.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Buddio
CFC

Quote:
ESPN_baseball ‏@ESPN_MLB
ESPN LA: Zack Greinke meets with Dodgers http://es.pn/Szm8Nh

Old
11-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Bourn is 30, and is seeking a massive contract. How does he make any sense for the team?
This isin't the NHL. Money? Cap System? If AA wants it to happen Rogers will pay. I don't know about you but I rather have a proven, everyday, highly talented CF playing everyday for my ball club.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:

The Royals have talked to the Mets about R.A. Dickey as they continue to search for a top-of-the-rotation starter, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reported this week that the Royals have had discussions about trading Wil Myers for starting pitching.

Maybe I am just connecting the dots...........

Old
11-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
This isin't the NHL. Money? Cap System? If AA wants it to happen Rogers will pay. I don't know about you but I rather have a proven, everyday, highly talented CF playing everyday for my ball club.
Peronsally I think Bourn is way over rated. If u asked me who I would rather have Colby Rausmus at 4.5 million or Bourn at like 15 a million on a long term contract, I am taking Rausmus 100 times out of 100.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:29 PM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddio View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that he won't be a Dodger. They have insane cashflow from there TV deal and will give him whatever.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
Rogers has already doubled the payroll, and yes there is a cap system. I don't see AA wanting to sign Bourn for the sake of signing an all-star CF, considering he has Rasmus and Gose in the system. He'd much rather build their values and see what he has with them then overpaying for a guy that will be regressing sooner rather than later.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Leafsforlife98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukianDeke View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that he won't be a Dodger. They have insane cashflow from there TV deal and will give him whatever.

I have to agree with you, the need is to big for LA to invest all of that money in the trade with the Red Sox to go into the season with the starting rotation thery have now. Adding Greinke to Kershaw gives them one of the best 1-2 punches in the league. They need him badly and will overpay to make it happen. Thats why baseball insiders are saying Greinke will command the biggest right hander contract in the history of baseball. He wont get to CC Sabathias contract but he will come close

Old
11-30-2012, 12:46 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
The Royals have talked to the Mets about R.A. Dickey as they continue to search for a top-of-the-rotation starter, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reported this week that the Royals have had discussions about trading Wil Myers for starting pitching.

Maybe I am just connecting the dots...........
I knew they were talking about Myers for Shields potentially.

But I see Shields value being way higher than Dickey... maybe its just me.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

If they do in fact want Dickey, I could see like a Ventura + Montgomery package for him. Montgomery has high risk since he's struggled the last two years but I do believe he still has skill.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Haren’s most aggressive suitor thus far, according to a person with knowledge of his free agency: The Red Sox. The Nationals, Orioles, White Sox, Padres and Blue Jays are among other clubs that have expressed interest. Haren, however, is said to be in no hurry to sign, preferring to let a lot of the smoke clear before making his decision.
Quote:
The Angels also had the framework of a deal in place with the Cubs in early November, sending Haren to Chicago for closer Carlos Marmol. In it, an industry source said, the Cubs were slated to take on most of Haren’s salary and Marmol’s. But according to ESPN.com’s Buster Olney, the Cubs backed out due to concerns over Haren’s hip — not his back.
http://mlb.mlblogs.com/2012/11/30/ha...-leaning-east/

Haren on a 1 year deal makes a lot of sense for the Jays.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:04 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/201...on-in-soc.html

I hate Damien Cox. Buerhle hasn't even played a game for the Jays and he is slamming him because he wants to bring his dog with him? Dog people, myself included, would do the exact same thing for their pets. Posting ignorant and inflammatory blogs about how Buerhle should talk to dog bite victims makes me want to puke. Hey, don't worry about the facts that Pitbulls aren't even top three in the dog bite statistics or it's not even the dog's fault, just run your mouth because some guy wants to bring his dog with him. Hell, an unsavory person can and probably has trained a Lab to be crazy too.

I don't own a pitbull (I'm a Lab guy), but I know if I was a pitcher and I couldn't bring my dog with me, I would want to be traded. That's not hyperbole either. God, I'm mad. I hate idiots.
Cox is a moron.

Whenever I cross one of his articles, I flip the page. When I see him on TV, I change the channel. A great majority of what he says doesn't even make sense or is easily countered with elementary school logic.

His argument that because of a series of accidents in Ontario pitbulls are rightfully banned because - PEOPLE GOT HURT, EVEN CHILDREN! Well, people still get hurt in car accidents every day, even children, and I haven't heard of an incoming ban on cars. Children get sick from second hand smoke all the time, I don't see a ban on cigarettes. Hell, even dumb people are still allowed to have children and abuse / neglect them and nobody is rushing to stop that, but for some reason to Damien Cox the pitbull ban makes full sense and Mark Buerhle is an idiot for questioning the law.

I wish we could have traded Cox to the Marlins as part of the package, but we all know he is an albatross that nobody wants...

Old
11-30-2012, 01:26 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
http://mlb.mlblogs.com/2012/11/30/ha...-leaning-east/

Haren on a 1 year deal makes a lot of sense for the Jays.
There does seem to be a lot of concern about that hip though. Do we want another pitcher with an injury history and one that people don't seem to convinced is better?

Old
11-30-2012, 01:33 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Wright has signed an 8 year 138 million dollar deal with the Mets. **** I wish I was really good at baseball.

Closed Thread