HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

(Game) Name a player past or present, get a scouting report

Old
11-30-2012, 12:17 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
(Game) Name a player past or present, get a scouting report

Make it brief but to the point, try to include strengths and a weakness if there is one

Example:

G Tommy Salo
+Good positioning, athletic, quick from side to side, good reflexes, slightly above average glove, workhorse goalie
-Prone to letting in soft goals, inconsistent in the playoffs

LW Shawn MacEachern

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:38 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

vCash: 500
I guess I'll give it a go

Shawn McEachern
+ Good shot, decent on special teams, good north/south type skater.
- Lacks agility and vision, not very clutch.

LW/C Mike Krushelnyski

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
I guess I'll give it a go

Shawn McEachern
+ Good shot, decent on special teams, good north/south type skater.
- Lacks agility and vision, not very clutch.

LW/C Mike Krushelnyski
Mike Krushelnyski
+ Very good size, powerful skater with good balance, good hands and shooting abilities for a big guy.
- Didn't like to use his size as often as he should. Could have been an even better/more useful power forward.

Vincent Damphousse

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Vincent Damphousse
Savvy, durable player that could play center or left wing. Good skater with very good top speed. Very good hockey sense and could see plays developing before many others. Knew where to be on the ice and corresponded well - as a playmaker - with finishers that also knew how to find open space. Didn't shy away from board play or going to the net, but it wasn't exactly his game to grind it out. Was better defensively as a center than a left wing, and his defensive game really only evolved later in his career. Could be used in any situation later in his career (PP and PK) and would sometimes play his off-wing on the power play. Shifty player, with very good hands and a very good wrist shot - however, by trade he was more of a playmaker than goal-scorer.

Despite my better judgment, I do like to give rough comparisons when I make scouting reports. Surely, someone will jump down my throat for it, but how about Brad Richards...

Next:
Random name, uh, Bernie Nicholls...why not?

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 02:09 AM
MarkusNaslund19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post

Bernie Nicholls
Bernie Nicholls:

Cerebral player. Odd skating style and always looked like he had the skinniest legs, but wasn't slow. Great at holding up and hitting the trailer with a pass. An odd player to categorize as, despite impressive numbers (especially 88-89), was never the focal player on a good team.

Next player?

Vlastimil Kroupa.

Remember reading a scouting report on him, Ozolinsh, and Rathje that talked about them as the three lynchpins of the sharks future D.

However, Kroupa's NHL career ended soon thereafter and I assume it never worked out for him. What were the observations of those who watched him?

MarkusNaslund19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:51 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Jere Lehtinen

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusNaslund19 View Post
Vlastimil Kroupa.
That's a pretty obscure name there. A nice threadkiller

Scarcely-used defenseman that played mostly at even-strength because he didn't have a lot of endearing qualities that made him a special teamer. Relatively smooth skating stride, though not really a speed burner, but he could get moving pretty well if he had room to rev it up. Not particularly strong or well-balanced despite his size. Kind of lanky looking on the ice sometimes. Didn't really stick out with any awesome qualities I don't believe. Lacked meaningful anticipation, was very inconsistent and struggled keeping with his checks. Went through the motions defensively more than taking an active role in them it seemed - just struck me as a player that was playing a bit over his head and it made him timid and lacking in confidence. It probably didn't help that Kevin Constantine was his first coach either - a coach who notoriously demands a lot from his players and if there was a language barrier on top of it, it could have really hurt his development. Probably would be much better, consistent and confident at a lower level of play where he could bail himself out of situations with his size and reach...also where things are slower, so he didn't have to think quite as fast to process what was happening...

I don't want to shortchange him too much because he's played more pro hockey than I ever will, but he seems like a product of rapid expansion...meaning that replacement-level players sometimes end up in the big show because there are too many roster spots to fill vs. the qualified talent pool.

In the spirit of the previous post, I'll just go along with it for someone else to answer...Jere Lehtinen.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:40 AM
MarkusNaslund19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post

In the spirit of the previous post, I'll just go along with it for someone else to answer...Jere Lehtinen.
Glad someone had an answer (didn't see it until now).

Jere Lehtinen: the Frank J. Selke belonged to him and Mike Peca for a few years there in the mid-to-late 90's. He was a player who was expected to be more of an offensive player when he came over from Finland, but the role he found (playing with Modano and Verbeek, then Modano and Hull) required him to generally be the third man high and play the role of the defensive conscience on his lines. It should be added that joined Dallas when Ken Hitchcock was their coach, and good ol' Hitch always preached defense first.

Lehtinen had underrated speed, a decent shot, and was a good one-touch passer. That said, I always thought he was a little bit overrated. Not that he wasn't a legitimate top 6er, or a good player, but that he was fortunate that he played for a Dallas team that was really good and high profile at the time. If he had been on the Islanders instead, I think he would have created a Travis Green-sized blip (he was much better than Green, but I don't think he would be as well remembered as he is).

Interesting side note, Niklas Sundstrom's second year (where he scored 52 points playing with Gretzky) had a lot of people thinking he would be another Lehtinen. That failed to materialize.

What about Ivan Novoseltsev? I always wanted him to be something, but it didn't work out.

MarkusNaslund19 is online now   Reply With Quote