HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Ilya Kovalchuk vs Claude Giroux

View Poll Results: Which center would you rather have?
Ilya Kovalchuk 56 44.09%
Claude Giroux 71 55.91%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-30-2012, 08:26 AM
  #51
tony d
Thanks for memories
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,808
vCash: 500
Claude Giroux.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:33 AM
  #52
96
Esq.
 
96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
Giroux because he's actually a center.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:23 PM
  #53
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Kovy now, Giroux future.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:29 PM
  #54
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
Giroux is 5 years younger and scored 10 more points than Kovalchuk... I could see this being a debate for one season, but I don't see the argument for Kovalchuk at all if we're talking about going forward. Unless I guess you take into account that Giroux could escape via free agency (even though he'll probably get a mega contract from Philly as a RFA) whereas Kovalchuk is locked down until he has grandkids. Even so, I'm not sure Kovalchuk's contract acts value, especially considering the new CBA will probably punish contracts like that.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:50 PM
  #55
Sureves
Registered User
 
Sureves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 7,066
vCash: 500
Excellent question, one of the closest polls I can remember seeing.

I'd be absolutely ecstatic to have either of them, but I think I'll take Kovy. Kovy is just such a scary hockey player when he's on the ice. I'm always holding my breath when he's on the ice - Giroux is a fantastic player, but I don't get that same feeling when we play the Flyers.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 12:59 PM
  #56
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,895
vCash: 500
All depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for that sniper who can tie a game up or score that critical goal, Kovy is your guy. If you're looking for a playmaking center who can turn even a mediocre goal scorer into a sniper, Giroux's your guy.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:24 PM
  #57
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Giroux is 5 years younger and scored 10 more points than Kovalchuk... I could see this being a debate for one season, but I don't see the argument for Kovalchuk at all if we're talking about going forward. Unless I guess you take into account that Giroux could escape via free agency (even though he'll probably get a mega contract from Philly as a RFA) whereas Kovalchuk is locked down until he has grandkids. Even so, I'm not sure Kovalchuk's contract acts value, especially considering the new CBA will probably punish contracts like that.
We've already been punished for that contract don't you worry. We haven't even forfeited the first round pick yet either.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:28 PM
  #58
The Red Line
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,246
vCash: 500
Love Kovy, and he'd be great with Datsyuk, but Giroux is younger, improving year after year, better contract/term, is a center, and is solid defensively (and getting better).

If it was for one year, I'd be inclined to take Kovy, but for my team's future, definitely Giroux.

The Red Line is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:40 PM
  #59
NjDevsRR
Registered User
 
NjDevsRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
If they were the same age Kovy. But obviously Giroux since he is young and a rising star.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 02:50 PM
  #60
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 17,437
vCash: 1340
Kovy is a better scorer and tougher.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:23 PM
  #61
SMantzas
Church of Corsi
 
SMantzas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,010
vCash: 500
Why Id rather have Kovy:
1. Better goal scorer
2. Better game breaker
3. Bigger body/ better hitter
4. Already shown he can adapt to NJ way
5. Doesnt whine like Giroux and isnt as dirty

Why Id rather have Giroux:
1. Better playmaker/vision
2. Younger
3. Makes players around him better (although Kovy does this too)

Special teams are a wash, with Kovy MAYBE having a slight edge

SMantzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:36 PM
  #62
lboogie42*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
so mainly giroux is only winning because of age. good to know ppl still love kovy. woo kovy! u rock!

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:42 PM
  #63
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
We've already been punished for that contract don't you worry. We haven't even forfeited the first round pick yet either.
Weren't the sanctions for the first contract they tried to get signed? Anyways, what I mean is that chances are if Kovalchuk retires before his contracts runs out it will not be off the books, which might have otherwise made the contract appealing.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:45 PM
  #64
96
Esq.
 
96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Why Id rather have Kovy:
1. Better goal scorer
2. Better game breaker
3. Bigger body/ better hitter
4. Already shown he can adapt to NJ way
5. Doesnt whine like Giroux and isnt as dirty

Why Id rather have Giroux:
1. Better playmaker/vision
2. Younger
3. Makes players around him better (although Kovy does this too)

Special teams are a wash, with Kovy MAYBE having a slight edge
I don't think you know what you're talking about. Giroux is dirty? Never heard that before. Giroux also led the league in PP points last year while turning Hartnell into the second highest PP goal scorer.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:50 PM
  #65
NjDevsRR
Registered User
 
NjDevsRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I don't think you know what you're talking about. Giroux is dirty? Never heard that before. Giroux also led the league in PP points last year while turning Hartnell into the second highest PP goal scorer.
We didn't like him targeting Zubrus' head directly after him throwing a temper tantrum at the refs on the same play in game 4. So Devil fans will not like him because of that.

I say special teams goes to Kovy, he was very solid on the PP but he was incredible on the PK.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:56 PM
  #66
lboogie42*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
I don't think you know what you're talking about. Giroux is dirty? Never heard that before. Giroux also led the league in PP points last year while turning Hartnell into the second highest PP goal scorer.
kovy played the point on the powerplay. so his points werent as high on the pp as they could be. but i agree giroux isnt much of a dirty player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
We didn't like him targeting Zubrus' head directly after him throwing a temper tantrum at the refs on the same play in game 4. So Devil fans will not like him because of that.

I say special teams goes to Kovy, he was very solid on the PP but he was incredible on the PK.
that play was dirty, but i dont think one play can classify u as a dirty player especially after a bad no call. keep in mind, he did come out to shake hands even though he wasnt alowed to play. all this coming from a devs fan. and yes, special teams go to kovy.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 03:59 PM
  #67
NjDevsRR
Registered User
 
NjDevsRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lboogie42 View Post
kovy played the point on the powerplay. so his points werent as high on the pp as they could be. but i agree giroux isnt much of a dirty player.



that play was dirty, but i dont think one play can classify u as a dirty player especially after a bad no call. keep in mind, he did come out to shake hands even though he wasnt alowed to play. all this coming from a devs fan. and yes, special teams go to kovy.
I agree, I dont consider him dirty but I can see why some Devils fan will call him that and they have the right to. It was a classy move at the end to shake everyones hand after being suspended.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:05 PM
  #68
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,721
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
I agree, I dont consider him dirty but I can see why some Devils fan will call him that and they have the right to. It was a classy move at the end to shake everyones hand after being suspended.
Both players have been suspended once in their careers if I recall correctly. One play doesn't define a player's reputation, or else every player in the league could be classified as dirty. Both Kovalchuk and Giroux play the game with a ton of emotion. It's part of what makes them great. Occasionally though, they're both guilty of letting it get the best of them.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:08 PM
  #69
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,721
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
We didn't like him targeting Zubrus' head directly after him throwing a temper tantrum at the refs on the same play in game 4. So Devil fans will not like him because of that.

I say special teams goes to Kovy, he was very solid on the PP but he was incredible on the PK.
Were also talking about two of the best special teams players in the league. I don't think there's an edge to give honestly. Both guys PK very well, while torching opponents on the powerplay.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:11 PM
  #70
FoppaForsberg*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
Giroux, both are amazing players though. Depends on the team too though. Flames/Leafs would take Giroux, Pittsburgh would probably take Kovalchuk.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:19 PM
  #71
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Why Id rather have Kovy:
1. Better goal scorer
2. Better game breaker
3. Bigger body/ better hitter
4. Already shown he can adapt to NJ way
5. Doesnt whine like Giroux and isnt as dirty

Why Id rather have Giroux:
1. Better playmaker/vision
2. Younger
3. Makes players around him better (although Kovy does this too)

Special teams are a wash, with Kovy MAYBE having a slight edge
I would actually say Giroux is a better/more frequent hitter relative to their frames.

Hits

Kovy

2009-2010: 30
2010-2011: 28
2011-2012: 27

Giroux

2009-2010: 76
2010-2011: 117
2011-2012: 70

I definitely think Giroux is the grittier player.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 04:48 PM
  #72
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 50
Claude Giroux

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:23 PM
  #73
HeliDevil
Legendary
 
HeliDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,290
vCash: 500
Giroux way better defensively? What?? It's a wash.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:36 PM
  #74
SMantzas
Church of Corsi
 
SMantzas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
I would actually say Giroux is a better/more frequent hitter relative to their frames.

Hits

Kovy

2009-2010: 30
2010-2011: 28
2011-2012: 27

Giroux

2009-2010: 76
2010-2011: 117
2011-2012: 70

I definitely think Giroux is the grittier player.
Hit count depends very much on arenas and are very subjective. You seriously have to injure a guy to get a hit at the Rock lol

SMantzas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 05:38 PM
  #75
NjDevsRR
Registered User
 
NjDevsRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ocean County, NJ
Posts: 2,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Hit count depends very much on arenas and are very subjective. You seriously have to injure a guy to get a hit at the Rock lol
I believe the highest hitting game of the playoffs was one of the Devils Panthers games in Florida lol you can cough on a guy and they would count it as a hit.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.