HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout Thread X: The Leadership Has Left the Building

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2012, 02:34 PM
SerenityRick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Good, they did exactly what they should do if they are under the impression that every time the CBA expires they are going to be asked to bend over again, especially when they'd be under the impression a year off 7 years ago should have produced a sustainable model for success.
Man.. if getting everything paid for me including food, hotel, private flights and buses, trainers and doctors on top of getting millions of dollars to play a game.. I want to get "bent over" too.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan100 View Post
I want hockey back.
I'm starting to feel it now...

There's snow on the ground now... Hockey is a MUST.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Man.. if getting everything paid for me including food, hotel, private flights and buses, trainers and doctors on top of getting millions of dollars to play a game.. I want to get "bent over" too.

But really, I agree.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Crows*

Have bill daly and Steve fehr " touched base" by phone yet? Or " exchanged emails?"

Old
11-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Hockey Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Have bill daly and Steve fehr " touched base" by phone yet? Or " exchanged emails?"
Fehr: Hello, Gary?
Bettman: Yes...
Fehr: I disagree!! *hangup*

Old
11-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Good, they did exactly what they should do if they are under the impression that every time the CBA expires they are going to be asked to bend over again, especially when they'd be under the impression a year off 7 years ago should have produced a sustainable model for success.
Except the last CBA wasn't everything the NHL needed to have a sustainable model. It was about creating a salary cap. The concessions they had to make to the NHLPA made it unsustainable.

The players did pretty well under the last CBA for getting "bent over" by the way. IMO, it seems like the players are more concerned about proving a point than they are about actually reaching an agreement.

Old
11-30-2012, 03:03 PM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
I'm going to go to Hawaii for a week and a half, get very drunk every day and when I come back this had better be resolved.
Good luck with that.

I'll call my shot right now: IT. AIN'T. HAPPENING.

Old
11-30-2012, 03:39 PM
sabrezombie

Quote:
@MattBarnaby3636: Talked to a player today on owners meeting players. Response was "another waste of time. Attempt to break up union again."
But they've pretty much said decertification is they're next move...

/being a smart ass

Old
11-30-2012, 03:50 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
At what salary is getting bent over then? Since it seems like this is a big response among people. Average salary of 50k a year, 500k? What's the consensus of what players should be happy with?

Old
11-30-2012, 03:58 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
At what salary is getting bent over then? Since it seems like this is a big response among people. Average salary of 50k a year, 500k? What's the consensus of what players should be happy with?
It's pretty hard to get "bent over" these days as a professional athlete in a major sport.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:05 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
I really think this lockout will last well beyond this season. We are talking perhaps all of this season and half the next season, or even two full seasons.
If the NHL misses another full season, it will have a huge up hill battle to regain any type of legitimacy in the realm of professional sports as well as trying to regain lost revenues and fan interest.

If the NHL misses two full seasons, it's not coming back.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:05 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Well the NHL isn't the only professional league. I guess it would be when players are choosing other leagues over the NHL.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:07 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
If the NHL misses another full season, it will have a huge up hill battle to regain any type of legitimacy in the realm of professional sports as well as trying to regain lost revenues and fan interest.

If the NHL misses two full seasons, it's not coming back.
I totally agree. If they miss two seasons they can kiss any significant revenue goodbye. I'm a serious fan and I can't say that I'd watch again if they took 2 years off. That's just a joke.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
One thing I've noticed is some of the people that argue dominantly from the PA perspective and defend their proposals also support contraction.

All of the PA proposals basically prohibit contraction from being a feasible option in the future.
It's a hypocritical position.

You can't be pro-players if you want players to lose their jobs.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:13 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
It's a hypocritical position.

You can't be pro-players if you want players to lose their jobs.
It's only hypocritical if you take a black/white position. There are some things that people agree with on the PA side, other things they agree with on the NHL side. I would equate it to a political platform, you may identify yourself as a democrat/republican, but it doesn't necessarily mean you agree with their stance on every single issue.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

No one cares anymore. Both sides have embarrassed themselves and the sport beyond belief. No idea how these idiots can sleep at night.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:21 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
I'd take a pole wrapped in barbed wire for that lifestyle.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Well the NHL isn't the only professional league. I guess it would be when players are choosing other leagues over the NHL.
That sounds about right.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I'd take a pole wrapped in barbed wire for that lifestyle.
I think you could probably get used to the life the owners live as well.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:29 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

When are the players going to realize they are helpless? Are these guys really going to file for decertification, blow any chance at a season, and risk the owners going nuclear once they lose in supreme court?

It's hard to imagine what they think there end game is. This situation is utterly embarrassing, and I don't blame the owners for it. I'm not going to chastise owners who PAY THE PLAYERS and are willing to split revenues 50-50.

Fehr, and the players, are going to look unbelievably awful. When this ends, and the owners get everything they want, future NHLPA negotiations will probably go over smoother. That's what the NHL probably predicts, anyways.

Think about it. Let the NHLPA destroy itself, and show that in future negotiations, you listen to us or you lose.

Love it.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Kirk Muller

The league and players are just biting themselves. Christmas will get into the full affect and the game will become even more of an after thought, then into NFL playoffs and Superbowl and people lose interest even more.

The gap will never be bridged if the PA doesnt accept linkage and re-fighting that part of the last CBA. Its just not something i see the owners going back on but i think its something i think Fehr has convinced the players they can win back.

The players need to accept the link, players need more in the make whole for their contracts signed. Thats where the negotiating should have began unfortunately thats not what the players seem to be fighting for.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

At this point, I'm just hoping next season starts on time. No progress is being made whatsoever, and quite frankly I don't care. I haven't seen live hockey in general since the Stanley Cup Finals, and surprisingly I haven't missed it very much. The quality of the game has gone down over the past few years anyways. Now it has hit rock bottom.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:31 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I think you could probably get used to the life the owners live as well.
The ones they created for themselves outside of hockey revenue? That lifestyle?

Old
11-30-2012, 04:35 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
And again, the PA went toe to toe with the NHL in 04-05. They didn't sign any deal until after the season was cancelled either. That's why they didn't gent bent over. They were as much a part of it as the owners. That's why it's almost December, and there's no deal now. That's why we're probably looking at this season going down the toilet, and possibly at least part of next year as well.

You don't hire Fehr if you're not looking for a fight. The PA agreed to raise the cap, so they could get more money, so they could then turn around and use that against the owners in the mind numbing PR war after the CBA expired. A perfectly acceptable strategy. It's smart. Weber got a ton of money because of it. Parise and Suter never have to play another game again and they still get a ton of money for years to come.

Neither side is innocent. They're both disingenuous. They both deserve each other. They both deserve to go down in flames together.

Old
11-30-2012, 04:36 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
The ones they created for themselves outside of hockey revenue? That lifestyle?
Not all of them created it. If you're last name is Molson you have a pretty good head start as did Aquilini in Vancouver and Gaglardi of the Dallas Stars. Some of them created the wealth and some of them inherited a lot of it.

Closed Thread